Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 03-04-2013, 09:00 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewyVuitton View Post
I'm having to be overly down on him to get my point across. I don't think Vacarro sucks by any means, I think he's a safety with potential that should be taken in the 25-40 range.

I just don't understand WHY he is the top safety prospect? I believe Cyprien, and even Elam, have better tape and have shown better in their collegiate careers.

If you want to sell me on potential and ceiling -- ok. I'd buy the argument that Vacarro has a higher ceiling and more potential than Elam. I'd say he and Cyprien are about equal in terms of potential. So it comes down to the tape for me.

Things that scare me about Vacarro:

-Poor angles, he often comes in too narrow (inside) allowing the ball carrier to have the edge or too wide (outside) allowing the ball carrier to cut up field.

-over aggressive coming towards the line. Vacarro often charges the line recklessly and ends up behind the ball carrier. He runs himself out of the play.

-Tackling. Seems that you can put this on any of the top safety prospects so I won't act like its just Vacarro, but going for hits instead of tackles, and aiming high instead of low

-Range. The rhetoric, in this cowboys room specifically, is that Vacarro is the perfect fit at FS. Why? Where is the evidence? Vacarro spent the majority of his time in the slot and in the box. Vacarro played much more of a SS role than Cyprien did. Cyprien spent the majority of his time in Cover-2/1, playing the zones and positions he'd be asked to play for the Cowboys.

The angles coming toward the line from a traditional safety position are much different than the angles taken from a slot/box position, which is more similar to the angles a linebacker takes.

Lack of experience tracking the ball from deep center of the field or even deep half of the field is alarming. Vacarro was rarely asked to play that way and will be extremely raw playing a traditional safety position.

Positives:

-size/speed. Although his 40 wasn't great, his field speed is when considering his size

-versatility. Playing in the slot has given him a ton of experience to fill a roll covering the new age TE. Will this come into play in Kiffin's defense? I'm not sure. Typically, Kiffin will ask Lee or Carter to match up with TE's if you look at his past defenses but he's stated he will play different schemes, not just pure Tampa-2, so maybe he will ask a safety to come up in the slot.

-toughness. He likes to throw his body around. Doesn't shy away from hits.

-tenacity/effort. Plays through the whistle. Too many safeties in the class let their teammates finish the play. Vacarro consistently gets involved in the action.

Summary: For being the supposed consensus top safety, he lacks experience playing from a traditional safety position. Minimal time in cover-2/1 looks. Lacks experience tracking ball deep. Lacks experience reading/reacting to QB and route combinations from traditional safety role. Spent majority of time playing near the box and in the slot. Runs himself out of position to often and will need to have aggressiveness reined in to be effective. Must react better in space, was caught filling gaps and getting broken down allowing ball carriers to rip off big chunks.

Edit: forgot to add this -- basically if you want to sell me on Vacarro's ceiling and potential based off his athleticism, I will buy it. But don't try and sell me on the idea that he's a better FS than Cyprien just because.

The reality is Cyprien has loads of experience playing an interchangeable true safety role, whereas Vacarro has played a hybrid CB/S role. Cyprien has tape that can be evaluated showing him tracking the ball from deep, reading/reacting to the QB, having to deal with route combinations. With Vacarro, this is all taking place behind him. He's up in the scrum, not back in no mans land.
But why do you feel the experts are putting him as the top safety. It's not even a case where it's split, it's like 90% if not more are putting him as the top Safety. I'm not busting balls, I'm just curious as to the big separation between them and what you're seeing. I believe you make a ton of great points and have a good eye for what you see on tape.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:19 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Response to Trogdor:

Here's Dane telling me 15 minutes ago he doesn't view Vacarro as a top 20 player

Still waiting for Ryan to respond. Easy enough to get Josh to back this as well.

Mock drafts are where you THINK a guy will go, not where he SHOULD go. I'm curious if you understand the concept.

Yes, Elam was listed as a SS. But again, you HAVEN'T watched the tape or else you 'd know he plays SS, FS, NB on a regular basis. In fact in the second game I posted against A&M he spend more time at NB than he does at S

And here's the best part -- you say Vacarro is A+ playing deep, tracking the ball. Show me 1 example. You're failing to realize no one cares what you say if you have no evidence.

I can write exactly what you wrote about Vacarro but insert "Cyprien" and pretend its true. But I don't. Instead I provide video evidence of Cyprien playing at a HIGH level in a scheme similar to what the Cowboys will be running.

You also go on to say Cyprien can't play the deep middle when I just posted a video earlier showing him playing deep middle.

Give up dude. Just let it go. You're wrong.
DrewyVuitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:38 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
But why do you feel the experts are putting him as the top safety. It's not even a case where it's split, it's like 90% if not more are putting him as the top Safety. I'm not busting balls, I'm just curious as to the big separation between them and what you're seeing. I believe you make a ton of great points and have a good eye for what you see on tape.
I think it's based on potential. The same reason they have Ziggy Ansah rated as a top-10 player despite him being very raw. The same reason Dontari Poe was able to go so high last year.

As I've maintained all along. I don't think Vacarro sucks. I don't hate Vacarro. I think Vacarro is extremely raw, especially if the team that drafts him plans on using him as a FS.

As far as on field performance, it's clear to me that Cyprien and Elam are much better on the field at this point.

When playing in the box, which is where Vacarro spent 95% of his time (despite Trogdors false claims of showing A+ FS skills), he takes worse angles than Cyprien and Elam. Those 2 are consistently able to work towards the ball carrier on a line (angle) and make the tackle. With Vacarro I see someone who goes too narrow/wide more frequently than the other 2

This is what I refer to when I'm saying he plays out of control. He often has to turn and run to tackle from behind, not head on.

When he attempts to make a play behind the LOS, he'll frequently get behind the ball -- running himself out of the play.

I saw at least 3 instances in the Oregon st. game (reverse on 4th & 1, touchdown run by RB, and first down run by RB on option play where QB sprints to left) where he doesn't know where the ball is. It's literally behind him before he realizes it.

Ill answer your question by saying while most in the media -- Mayock, Gil Brandt, etc. -- have Vacarro as their top safety, I'm assuming its because he's an athlete who's shown versatility. He has great physical tool. He probably has a lighter back peddle than Elam and equal to Cyprien. I can't speak to hips,mbecause I've honestly never quite been able to tell who has "good" hips. I can tell if its blatantly obvious that a guy is stiff, but I can't really distinguish medium vs great hips.

I'll follow that by saying I also think some guys in the media are trash. Specifically Gil Brandt. I think he's old and I think he's lazy. He says Vacarro is nearly as good as Mark Barron which is an absolute joke.

Mark Barron was on another level than all the safeties in this class. He's not the same type of player as an Eric Berry or Earl Thomas but as a prospect Mark Barron was closer to them than he is to Vacarro, Cyprien, or Elam.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:54 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not going point to point with you Drewy. You are picking and choosing and then redirecting so it's pointless.

You asked why I rank him highly. I answer and you redirect that I don't have any evidence. You have fingers so do the other forum members. Take a look at any of the game-tape and feel free to draw your own conclusions.

Looked through your post history and I see you trust Lande, Mayock, and a few others so I'll post their safety RANKINGS (not mocks) so you can't attempt to blur the lines between where they are drafted and actual talent.

You quoted Mayock A TON when talking about Barron last year and it's safe to say he's a premiere DB evaluator.

Take a gander at his top 5 safeties as of right now.

Safety
1. Kenny Vaccaro, Texas
2. Matt Elam, Florida
3. Jonathan Cyprien, Florida International
4. Eric Reid, LSU
5. Shamarko Thomas, Syracuse

Hrm.

Lets move on to Lande.

1. Kenny Vaccaro: 8.3
2. Jonathan Cyprien: 8.0
3. Eric Reid: 7.5
4. Josh Evans: 7.2
5. Tony Jefferson: 7.0

I mean I get it. Cyprien is your crush and you are certainly entitled. Stop saying things like the "experts/scouts all agree with me". Agreeing with the opinions of Mayock/Lande/etc doesn't make people sheep if they watch the film and come to the same conclusion. Going against the grain means accepting that you are either A) going to win big or B) going to get it wrong.

Lande on Vaccaro:

Mayock:

As far as hips easiest way to evaluate is the transition out of the backpedal. When they reach the high point of the backpedal and swivel to turn in run is it a complete, fluid motion or do they lose a step in transition. Deion is the best example when he flipped his hips it resulted in no extra step or loss of speed. Vaccaro has the agility of a corner which explains his flexibility to play the slot but he is nowhere near Neon Deion in that department :)

As far as games to recommend to see more of Vaccaro playing deeper. Kansas State has a bunch of snaps where he either starts deep and reads or backpedals on the step to a deep zone.

New Mexico is another one that actually is a decent watch. He plays super deep at first and Texas moves him more to the slot when they burn the defense with the option a few times. His overly aggressive approach hurts him at times but watching the tape shows his elite athleticism. He consistently made plays from the opposite side of the field. He reads the play very well and moves with purpose.

I hadn't touched tape of Vaccaro in a bit I do agree he is being overrated by outlets pushing him as a top 10 or even top 15 pick. He has without a doubt excellent play recognition and athleticism. He has got to fix his ability to perform run support and tendency to lean into receivers with his shoulder rather than wrap tackling at times.

Oklahoma State game might be one of his worst games and it really highlights the two extremes. He is a part of pretty much every tackle. He is breaking on a pass before the QB even sets his feet for an INT. He also over-pursues and gets caught flat-footed on a nice juke and gets blocked out of the play by a WR.

I respect the intelligent banter as having multiple eyes watching tape gives us a better community as a whole. I imagine we're going to have to agree to disagree on the safety situation given that neither of us is going to budge.

Perhaps agree to stop the condescending slant on the pissing contest? :D
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:31 AM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Not going point to point with you Drewy. You are picking and choosing and then redirecting so it's pointless.

You asked why I rank him highly. I answer and you redirect that I don't have any evidence. You have fingers so do the other forum members. Take a look at any of the game-tape and feel free to draw your own conclusions.

Looked through your post history and I see you trust Lande, Mayock, and a few others so I'll post their safety RANKINGS (not mocks) so you can't attempt to blur the lines between where they are drafted and actual talent.

You quoted Mayock A TON when talking about Barron last year and it's safe to say he's a premiere DB evaluator.

Take a gander at his top 5 safeties as of right now.

Safety
1. Kenny Vaccaro, Texas
2. Matt Elam, Florida
3. Jonathan Cyprien, Florida International
4. Eric Reid, LSU
5. Shamarko Thomas, Syracuse

Hrm.

Lets move on to Lande.

1. Kenny Vaccaro: 8.3
2. Jonathan Cyprien: 8.0
3. Eric Reid: 7.5
4. Josh Evans: 7.2
5. Tony Jefferson: 7.0

I mean I get it. Cyprien is your crush and you are certainly entitled. Stop saying things like the "experts/scouts all agree with me". Agreeing with the opinions of Mayock/Lande/etc doesn't make people sheep if they watch the film and come to the same conclusion. Going against the grain means accepting that you are either A) going to win big or B) going to get it wrong.

Lande on Vaccaro:

Mayock:

As far as hips easiest way to evaluate is the transition out of the backpedal. When they reach the high point of the backpedal and swivel to turn in run is it a complete, fluid motion or do they lose a step in transition. Deion is the best example when he flipped his hips it resulted in no extra step or loss of speed. Vaccaro has the agility of a corner which explains his flexibility to play the slot but he is nowhere near Neon Deion in that department :)

As far as games to recommend to see more of Vaccaro playing deeper. Kansas State has a bunch of snaps where he either starts deep and reads or backpedals on the step to a deep zone.

New Mexico is another one that actually is a decent watch. He plays super deep at first and Texas moves him more to the slot when they burn the defense with the option a few times. His overly aggressive approach hurts him at times but watching the tape shows his elite athleticism. He consistently made plays from the opposite side of the field. He reads the play very well and moves with purpose.

I hadn't touched tape of Vaccaro in a bit I do agree he is being overrated by outlets pushing him as a top 10 or even top 15 pick. He has without a doubt excellent play recognition and athleticism. He has got to fix his ability to perform run support and tendency to lean into receivers with his shoulder rather than wrap tackling at times.

Oklahoma State game might be one of his worst games and it really highlights the two extremes. He is a part of pretty much every tackle. He is breaking on a pass before the QB even sets his feet for an INT. He also over-pursues and gets caught flat-footed on a nice juke and gets blocked out of the play by a WR.

I respect the intelligent banter as having multiple eyes watching tape gives us a better community as a whole. I imagine we're going to have to agree to disagree on the safety situation given that neither of us is going to budge.

Perhaps agree to stop the condescending slant on the pissing contest? :D
Pissing contest can stop.

As far as my crush, it's actually Elam. I don't really have any reason to be on Cypriens nuts -- I seriously just think he's the top Safety in this class.

As far as Mayock and Lande, I do respect both those guys. I don't always agree, but they're 10 times better than Kiper or Brandt.

Mayock tends to overrate ND players. He calls their games and I assume is a fan.

As far as Lande, I like him because he has balls. He isn't worried about what other people think. Prior to the combine and the Alex Smith trade, he declared that Nassib was going #1 overall to KC.

As crazy as that sounds to most people, me included, I respect the guys that trust their eyes.

There is nothing more frustrating then searching on through these forums, specifically in the main 2013 draft room, and watching everyone repeat everything. Like, why do I even come on here? I don't need to see ppl type up the same **** I just saw on tv or read on NFL.com

I often source scout and media guys as a reference or if I don't have an opinion on someone myself, but I swear 75% of the people on here just float around as sheeple trying to collect rep points. It's pathetic.

Anyway, off my box. And I appreciate you giving me examples of games where I can see Vacarro playing deep.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:29 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

DJ Swearinger please.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:39 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Shamarko Thomas
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:57 AM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

David Amerson i think he's a good corner but could be a great safety
CowboysBeastMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:21 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He has the ball skills and movement in coverage but I'm not sure he is a good enough tackler to be in the Tampa Two. If I am looking for a corner to convert I am keeping my eyes on Xavier Rhodes.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:45 AM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
He has the ball skills and movement in coverage but I'm not sure he is a good enough tackler to be in the Tampa Two. If I am looking for a corner to convert I am keeping my eyes on Xavier Rhodes.
amerson isn't afraid of the contact (which is most important to me) its his technique that fails him most of the time, that can be coached and he'd fit in right in with the rest of our secondary in terms of tackling. but you cant coach those balls skills and range, something we really have lacked at the safety positions since the days of darren woodson and brock marion.

the corners are gonna be do more tackling than the safeties in this defense, the safeties gonna be deep in the cover 2, but the corners play op

besides realistically rhodes will probably go before second round pick

Last edited by CowboysBeastMode : 03-05-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:07 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysBeastMode View Post
amerson isn't afraid of the contact (which is most important to me) its his technique that fails him most of the time, that can be coached and he'd fit in right in with the rest of our secondary in terms of tackling. but you cant coach those balls skills and range, something we really have lacked at the safety positions since the days of darren woodson and brock marion.

the corners are gonna be do more tackling than the safeties in this defense, the safeties gonna be deep in the cover 2, but the corners play op

besides realistically rhodes will probably go before second round pick
Carr is a pretty solid tackler, Church can lay the lumber, Mo gives effort but clearly needs to add bulk to be more efficient.

Don't sleep on Amerson sneaking back into the first round. He ran faster then expected at the combine and even with his issues he has some of the best ball skills in the draft.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:08 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would be happy with amerson in the 2nd, happy with swearinger in the 3rd/4th and happy with Thomas in the 5th/6th.

For best value, swearinger hands down.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:24 AM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

Quote:

Don't sleep on Amerson sneaking back into the first round. He ran faster then expected at the combine and even with his issues he has some of the best ball skills in the draft.
based on his combine numbers amerson could be first round pick and, based on film of this year he could be a 4th round pick, the answer must lie somewhere in the middle
Old 03-06-2013, 06:14 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I would be happy with amerson in the 2nd, happy with swearinger in the 3rd/4th and happy with Thomas in the 5th/6th.

For best value, swearinger hands down.
If you want best value for a FS you want to take a look at Josh Evans from Florida. Certainly overshadowed by the playmaker in Elam but his deep zones were the reason Elam roamed as much as he did.

Evans is going to be a steal for somebody if his stock stays where it is (most places calling him a 5th rounder).
Old 03-06-2013, 08:56 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Ian Rapoport ✔ @RapSheet

As I said on TA: #Cowboys would be happy if Anthony Spencer was with them in '13. BUT they are open to trading him in thin pass-rush market
Now that would be intriguing depending on the offer. If someone with a high second comes calling and offers me massive cap space and an early 2nd I'd be all over it.

Dallas likes him and seems the #1 option is a long-term deal from earlier reports but essentially if someone wants to blow us away then by all means.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:10 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Now that would be intriguing depending on the offer. If someone with a high second comes calling and offers me massive cap space and an early 2nd I'd be all over it.

Dallas likes him and seems the #1 option is a long-term deal from earlier reports but essentially if someone wants to blow us away then by all means.
A high 2 would give me wood

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:22 AM    (permalink
dsc1600
Veteran

dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
A high 2 would give me wood
I'd take a 3rd rd pick for him. Better than a compensatory pick we may or may not get.
dsc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:29 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewyVuitton View Post
There is nothing more frustrating then searching on through these forums, specifically in the main 2013 draft room, and watching everyone repeat everything. Like, why do I even come on here? I don't need to see ppl type up the same **** I just saw on tv or read on NFL.com

I often source scout and media guys as a reference or if I don't have an opinion on someone myself, but I swear 75% of the people on here just float around as sheeple trying to collect rep points. It's pathetic.
I like different opinions, it helps give a POV about players maybe some people don't know as well, or give some alternate options to look forward to in the draft. I just don't know why all this is necessary, so if you agree with Mayock your just sheep? If you can't post some all-22 film of 3 full games of a guy then your opinions don't matter?

All opinions are welcome here. I love different POV's and guys pounding the table for new prospects, it's what makes a forum great. I just hate that some people feel the need to add all this extra non sense in. It's silly and pointless. And it relfects poorly on you because why would you spend so much time on a forum if that's what you felt like that was all that was here? Why is it so hard to pound the table for your guy and leave the rest out?

With the release of Sensy I have the need for a Safety much higher, and since I was throwing DE and Center in majority of my mocks, Safety seems like it makes the most sense in the 1st or 2nd round now so it should be broken down. I appreciate the thoughts of Cyprien, I'm still reading and watching all the film I can to find a guy I truly want at Safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:42 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

The team is working out former first round pick Jarvis Moss. Was out of the league last year and really hasn't made it on the field that much in his career but I remember liking him coming out of Florida.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:12 AM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

Quote:
The team is working out former first round pick Jarvis Moss. Was out of the league last year and really hasn't made it on the field that much in his career but I remember liking him coming out of Florida.
been in the league 5 years and has less than 10 career sacks, doesn't hurt to look but doubt anything comes of it
Old 03-06-2013, 11:25 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Needs as of today:

1. Safety

I really want to put RT or interior OL here and would have no problem with the team spending our 1st to address either, but releasing Sensabaugh has thrown a wrench into this for me. We cannot go into the season with Church coming off an achilles injury and either Matt Johnson/Danny McCray as our plan A at the safety positions. That's a disaster waiting to happen, and as we stand we have the worst Safety situation in the league heading into the off-season. MUST be addressed.

2. C/OG

We re-signed Costa and have Mack and Livings under contract for a few more seaons, so unlike Safety we at least have some insurance policy at the interior OL. But that's not to say we should consider ourselves "set" at the positions. We need to bring in at least 1 guy, whether it's C or OG, to challenge for the job... and preferably it's an upgrade in talent.

3. OT

Free was our worst lineman last season and I don't expect him to return, but luckily we have a possible replacement already on the roster in Jeremy Parnell. But, he's a little bit of an unknown and we could use someone to challenge for the job as insurance policy. Also, it's important in today's league to have a quality swing Tackle off the bench.

4. RB

This is a bigger need than it should be because of the question marks surrounding DeMarco Murray and his ability to stay on the field. He fell in the draft due to durability concerns, and while he's great when healthy, those durability concerns have stayed with him in the NFL. With Felix likely done in Dallas we have the opportunity to bring in another back, but it can't be a "compliment" back... we need to almost plan like Murray isn't on the team. Luckily, starting quality backs can be found after Round 1 and all the way through the middle rounds.

5. OLB

Carter and Lee are entrenched into 2 LB spots, but what are we doing about the 3rd? We've been drafting 3-4 LBs for years and unfortunately guys like Albright and Wilbur are odd fits in this new scheme. Sims or Connor might be an option as a stopgap, but neither are longterm answers at Sam and if we have the opportunity to grab a legitimate starter we need to pull the trigger.

6. DE

Even if Spencer stays for this season, his future is up in the air and we don't have legitimate options to replace him. Crawford lacks the athleticism and quick-twitch ability to be an effective edge rusher, he'll likely slide inside in the new scheme. Outside of Ware and Spencer who are the edge rushers under contract?? It's a critical position in this new D that requires quality depth.

7. DT

A rotation of Ratliff, Hatcher, Crawford and Lissemore is pretty solid but both starters are on the wrong side of 30 and neither would be confused with pro-bowl talent. We're OK there if we don't address it this off-season, but if an opportunity arises where we can land a blue chip 3-tech we need to think long and hard about it.

8. WR

When Dez and Miles are healthy they are a fantastic duo on the outside and Harris can hold his own in the slot. The problem, Miles is hamstung too often and when he goes down we don't really have another WR on the roster who can win consistently opposite Dez on the outside. He also has not lived up to the contract extension and we would be wise to start grooming an eventual replacement. Even if Miles is healthy, he's someone who can slide into the slot leaving another opportunity for an outside WR to step in and make plays. We could use another WR with the height/weight/speed combination of a Dez or Miles.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:58 AM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:

I doubt Spencer would fetch more than a 4th rounder. He's 29 and the perception is he didn't perform as expected until he was in a contract year.

Teams put a premium on picks -- whether it's makes sense or not, history shows they value the potential of a pick over the proven commodity in a player.

Factor in the contract they're going to have to give him and I just can't see it happening.

As far as a long term deal with Dallas, I'm afraid that's what will happen. Spencer is about 2 inches and 20 lbs lighter than a typical LDE. He isn't going to be worth a long term contract as a pure defensive end.

The only thing I would be happy with, which I doubt the Cowboys will do, is using Sencer as SLB on running downs with someone like Crawford at LDE. Spencer then slides up to DE on passing downs. Make him play out the year under the tag. Let him walk at the end of the year or resign him at age 30 when he should be more affordable.

If he's at LDE full time the team is going to get the ball rammed down their throat and Spencer will be worn down as the season progresses.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:17 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I like different opinions, it helps give a POV about players maybe some people don't know as well, or give some alternate options to look forward to in the draft. I just don't know why all this is necessary, so if you agree with Mayock your just sheep? If you can't post some all-22 film of 3 full games of a guy then your opinions don't matter?

All opinions are welcome here. I love different POV's and guys pounding the table for new prospects, it's what makes a forum great. I just hate that some people feel the need to add all this extra non sense in. It's silly and pointless. And it relfects poorly on you because why would you spend so much time on a forum if that's what you felt like that was all that was here? Why is it so hard to pound the table for your guy and leave the rest out?

With the release of Sensy I have the need for a Safety much higher, and since I was throwing DE and Center in majority of my mocks, Safety seems like it makes the most sense in the 1st or 2nd round now so it should be broken down. I appreciate the thoughts of Cyprien, I'm still reading and watching all the film I can to find a guy I truly want at Safety.
No man, you're completely missing my point.

I'm saying I do want different POV's and agreeing with Mayock doesn't make anyone a sheep, he's one of the best.

I'm saying there are a ton of people that come on here, read something, regurgitate it as their own opinion and act like its fact all of a sudden.

How many people on here actually watch film? How many people watch 3+ games of the prospects they speak about, then go back and rewatch those games to make sure they haven't missed anything?

I'm guessing not many. So in the regard, no your opinion shouldn't count unless you've put in the work.

If people want to come on here to learn, it's understandable, but that's often not the case. You rarely see anyone asking questions about guys, asking what other people see, asking for examples -- you mostly see people repeating the gospel and just copying POV's

It's people that aren't knowledgable about what they're looking at, aren't forming opinions based off of anything they've seen, and just float around the forums trying to make friends and be agreeable.

There's too many people that just read scouting reports & look at 40 times, then just come on here and post some unrealistic mock draft giving all the top prospects & sleepers in each round to their team.

I'm trying to get on a higher level w the analysis. That's why I'm here. It doesn't benefit anyone for people to slap ass and rewrite what they've read. "What have you seen" is what I care about.

Last edited by DrewyVuitton : 03-06-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:59 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Oh how I wish we would have let Spencer go and went after Eric Winston who was just released by KC. Combine that with a few more roster tweaks and drafting Warmack/Cooper and all the sudden we have a strength instead of a weakness instead of a rental at DE. Oh well pipe dreams are nice I guess.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:20 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:
Oh how I wish we would have let Spencer go and went after Eric Winston who was just released by KC. Combine that with a few more roster tweaks and drafting Warmack/Cooper and all the sudden we have a strength instead of a weakness instead of a rental at DE. Oh well pipe dreams are nice I guess.
For real. Hopefully they just don't compound the mistake by giving Spencer a long term deal.