Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 03-27-2013, 11:11 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Additional news :)

Durant and Will Allen will be the two signee's today with Kyle Orton restructuring his contract to get them to fit.

Brandon Moore has a offer on the table which if he accepts we are rumored to be cutting Lawrence Vickers.

If that's the case I am ALL over taking someone like Kyle Juszczyk from Harvard in the 5th or 6th. Most of the time he was lined up as a TE or in the slot and abused corners/safeties that tried to tackle him. When asked to lead block he was either taking the man in the hole to the ground or blowing him backwards.

Also do not be overly shocked if you see a training camp battle at FB including one of our former linebackers.

Caleb McSurdy was working on that in camp last year and was targeted a bit as a FB from other teams in the 7th.

Last edited by Trogdor : 03-27-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:26 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
@nickeatman: Cowboys have officially signed LB Justin Durant to 2-year deal. To get under the cap, the club re-negotiated the contract of QB Kyle Orton
And so it starts.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:27 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Will Allen??? Ehhh.

Brandon Moore please join us!!!!!!!!
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:32 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Will Allen makes a ton of sense. He played in Tampa for 6 seasons before going to the Steelers. He fits the veteran safety with scheme experience mold. He is also a good special teamer which always helps.

I have to admit I would much rather have Huff but I can understand the Allen signing.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:36 AM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The team is too high on Matt Johnson. I've never heard so much hype for a 4th rounder coming out of a small school that couldn't get healthy as a rookie.

Starting to get the impression that neither Safety or OG is an option in the 1st. Hoping Sheldon Richardson is around. Hopefully its just smoke but the team seems content with the trash on the roster.
DrewyVuitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:37 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
@calvinwatkins: I like Huff better than Will Allen but indications are cowboys like Matt Johnson a lot. Easier for Johnson to beat out Allen over huff
Such a crappy train of thought when you have a guy in Huff that has the ability to play an position in the secondary. I like Johnson at SS ahead of Church personally and think we still need a guy with plus range. Hopefully Allen is just insurance and Vaccaro is the target.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:07 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
Such a crappy train of thought when you have a guy in Huff that has the ability to play an position in the secondary. I like Johnson at SS ahead of Church personally and think we still need a guy with plus range. Hopefully Allen is just insurance and Vaccaro is the target.
That makes no sense. Ugh...Matt Johnson? What exactly has he ever done? I honestly haven't noticed him a single time since he's been drafted and once again it sounds like we are excited about an in house, mid round Safety who won't do anything. How long have we done that now?

I don't know. Brandon Moore would make me excited, but we are about to butcher the Safety position once again and I honestly don't think we value it high at all.

edit: Maybe I have higher expectations of Huff in comparison to what he actually is, not sure. I just know with him, and potentially Vaccaro, we have two safeties who can kick down to the slot and cover a WR. Hell Huff spent a ton of his time playing actual CB anyway, he's covered WR's, TE's and slot WR's for a majority of his career even back to Texas. Not many teams can boast that type of versatility from the Safety position and have good cover CB's.

Allen is a back-up, Huff is at least a really solid starter. I guess it bothers me that we let our cap situation get in the way of a no brainer signing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Last edited by LonghornsLegend : 03-27-2013 at 12:30 PM.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:33 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
That makes no sense. Ugh...Matt Johnson? What exactly has he ever done? I honestly haven't noticed him a single time since he's been drafted and once again it sounds like we are excited about an in house, mid round Safety who won't do anything. How long have we done that now?

I don't know. Brandon Moore would make me excited, but we are about to butcher the Safety position once again and I honestly don't think we value it high at all.

edit: Maybe I have higher expectations of Huff in comparison to what he actually is, not sure. I just know with him, and potentially Vaccaro, we have two safeties who can kick down to the slot and cover a WR. Hell Huff spent a ton of his time playing actual CB anyway, he's covered WR's, TE's and slot WR's for a majority of his career even back to Texas. Not many teams can boast that type of versatility from the Safety position and have good cover CB's.

Allen is a back-up, Huff is at least a really solid starter. I guess it bothers me that we let our cap situation get in the way of a no brainer signing.
Just to ruin our day a little more. Instead of being designated a June 1st cut

Quote:
@AdamSchefter: Here comes more salary-cap space for Dallas: Cowboys expected to restructure contract of OT Doug Free.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:36 PM    (permalink
primetime217
Rookie

primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.primetime217 is so money.

I don't understand this move at all!!
primetime217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:39 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

I hope by "restructure" we mean pay-cut and restructure. Have to wait till it officially happens.

Restructuring would guarantee his spot this year and possibly next year.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:58 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm bracing myself over this Doug Free tweet. We can't be THAT dumb can we?

The Will Allen signing is starting to make sense. By no means do I think it prevents us from prioritizing Safety in the draft. Dude is 31 years old. He and Kiffin spent 5 years together in Tampa. I think when Ronde Barber no longer became an option, Allen was targeted for the same reasons. He should be another piece to help the transition.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:15 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm reading that this is not so much as a restructure as it is a pay cut, which is very nice if the pull it off.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:18 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
I'm reading that this is not so much as a restructure as it is a pay cut, which is very nice if the pull it off.
Screw the pay cut. Cut his ass!
Old 03-27-2013, 01:19 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Doug Free on this team beyond June 1st would put me in a rage that no draft picks or free agency could fix. Plus, isn't this whole restructure WAY too late? We can't cut him until June anyway, so why wouldn't we visit him about this months ago instead of missing out on free agents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:23 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They may still cut depending on what happens in the draft.

We don't get any relief if we cut him now.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:35 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Doug Free on this team beyond June 1st would put me in a rage that no draft picks or free agency could fix. Plus, isn't this whole restructure WAY too late? We can't cut him until June anyway, so why wouldn't we visit him about this months ago instead of missing out on free agents?
This team refuses to go forward sometimes.

Stubborness over not letting go of homegrown dead weight has always been a rotten part of this franchise.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:39 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
They may still cut depending on what happens in the draft.

We don't get any relief if we cut him now.
Guys who restructure don't get cut later in the same offseason. Not that I've ever seen anyways.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:47 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Guys who restructure don't get cut later in the same offseason. Not that I've ever seen anyways.
Especially when it means creating more guarenteed money down the road that will be forced to prorate in the cut.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:49 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Thank you football gods
Quote:
@clarencehilljr: A source close to Doug Free and a Cowboys source said his contract is not being restructured...
Anthony Armstrong released Will Allen signed, end of the transactions for the day.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:52 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Thank you football gods

Anthony Armstrong released Will Allen signed, end of the transactions for the day.
Schefter is usually on it, but this time I'm thankful if he's NOT!
Old 03-27-2013, 01:55 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Apparently Brandon Moore is getting attention from the Lions and Dolphins as well. I hope we emerge victorious.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:00 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah that's pretty dumb if true. It would be one thing if they simply are going after Allen over Huff for money or scheme issues, but there's no good reason to sign a guy just because it's easier for your unproven second year player to beat him out. I'm scratching my head on that one, and just hoping that it's not true or something that was misunderstood.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:10 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why do I feel if we sign Moore, that it means we will ignore drafting a guard early in the draft?

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:55 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DrewyVuitton is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
Why do I feel if we sign Moore, that it means we will ignore drafting a guard early in the draft?
Because that's exactly how Jerry's mind works.

Think about it -- he's already expressed a willingness to give Livings and Bern a chance to "get healthy & gel", he's expressed his love for Leary and backed it up with the money they gave him as a UDFA, and he's expressed his expectations for Parnell when he said "I was watching Parnell with John Madden and he thought he has the potential to be a real player in this league.."

Lets not forget the belief that Romo can be successful with a "lesser Oline and more weapons"

Outside of my personal feelings about taking a guard in the top 25, it just doesn't mesh with the Cowboys draft philosophy since Jerry bought the team.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:00 PM    (permalink
DrewyVuitton
Veteran

Quote:

I think the reason you haven't noticed him is because he's never been activated!

I agree with you, most idiotic train of thought. Obviously this organization has learned nothing from Akwasi Owusu-Ansah.

Remember Dave Campo when we got AOA? The elation? The hype? Everything we heard about his potential.

Lol.

When we drafted Matt Johnson my initial thought was "special teams ace" and that hasn't changed. Will Allen is old and back up caliber. Matt Johnson is a nobody who's proven nothing other than he has ****** hamstrings.

If this team passes on getting a safety in the top 3 rounds I will have lost all faith. Or if they draft Eric Reid at 18. I'd drive to Coronado bridge.