Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-15-2007, 08:58 PM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

CTCowboysFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCowboysFan
Quote:
Quote:
The main problem is coaching and it branches out into the defense and offense.

I am serious.
You will need to elaborate.
I like Parcells D-Unit don't get me wrong I just feel he is holding us back.

He has no imagination (like a Sean Payton), he does not do anything creative.

And the defense is not suited to be a 3-4 defense, this is the only time in the Dallas Cowboy history that the 3-4 has been used and the sooner it is discarded the better.

We need a new coach who can be here for 5 or more years and bring some imagination and creativity with him.

This offense is too Simplistic. We need to have some plays to throw off the other team. I am not saying we weren't productive, we were just too predictable.
...and your idea for resolution is to bring in a new coaching regime, go back to the 4-3 and try and to start again?
yes to the new coaching regime and 4-3 but no to the "try to start again"

We don't need to add any special players to go back to the 4-3, look at my previous post.

Quote:
FS SS
Watkins Landry

RCB LCB
Henry Newman

ROLB MLB LOLB
Carpenter James R. Williams

RDE RDT LDT LDE
Ware Hatcher Ferguson Canty
Old 01-15-2007, 09:04 PM    (permalink
ncbigbody
Veteran

ncbigbody hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Nobody is going back to the 4-3.

We have taught all of our young players the 3-4 system, to go back to the 4-3 would only set us back further.

Sig thanks to DieHardVikingsFan
ncbigbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:05 PM    (permalink
DaRkNiGht08
Rookie

DaRkNiGht08 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:

I am serious.
I agree with you. The problem is coaching; either, it be Offensive, Defensive execution or playcalling.

Offensive
We have so many weapons on offense, but We fail to utilize and create mismatches. We didnt even use Owens to his fullest potential. We shyed away from Jason Witten until the end of the season. So What did we do? We wasted downs by running Julius Jones up the gut for 2 yards. This guy has no vision. He has speed though so Why? Why didn't we use JJ in space. Why didnt we have Glenn in a post route with single coverage. Our offense is capable of doing so much damage, but we have pathetic playcalling. Its sad. Why don't you go to the leagues best wide reciever? Why? Why don't you let MB111 hav more carries than JJ? Why don't you give him a chance and see what happens?

Defensive
WOW. Where do I start? WE know our problem. We cant cover deep. So why don't we fix it. FBs schooled us two weeks in a row. Why can't we get pressure? Why. OMG? WHY! Did Zimmer call the more lamest blitz ever. Why didnt our LBs jam TEs/Wrs? Why did we resort to situation 4-3 earlier. Because Zimmer doesnt know. He cant answer the question. I am glad he is gone. You never got a caluclus teacher to teach you biology. I saw clips. Our LBers would barely touch opposing TEs. They would just let them fly away splitting and embarring the safeties.

Im not done. I can go on longer. But, Yea. Coaching is the problem. I can even talk to you about how Parcells isnt the answer, but inturn I dont see a better option then him right now.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:10 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I am serious.
You will need to elaborate.
I like Parcells D-Unit don't get me wrong I just feel he is holding us back.

He has no imagination (like a Sean Payton), he does not do anything creative.

And the defense is not suited to be a 3-4 defense, this is the only time in the Dallas Cowboy history that the 3-4 has been used and the sooner it is discarded the better.

We need a new coach who can be here for 5 or more years and bring some imagination and creativity with him.

This offense is too Simplistic. We need to have some plays to throw off the other team. I am not saying we weren't productive, we were just too predictable.
...and your idea for resolution is to bring in a new coaching regime, go back to the 4-3 and try and to start again?
yes to the new coaching regime and 4-3 but no to the "try to start again"

We don't need to add any special players to go back to the 4-3, look at my previous post.

Quote:
FS SS
Watkins Landry

RCB LCB
Henry Newman

ROLB MLB LOLB
Carpenter James R. Williams

RDE RDT LDT LDE
Ware Hatcher Ferguson Canty
This defensive line up is worse than what we currently have. Seriously.

First off, not only do we not have Landry, but getting him is a dream scenario. Secondly, RW at Weakside LB is an idea way out in left field... Deep left field. Hatcher is not a DT. Even in college he played as a 4-3 DE. Third, you have Greg Ellis, Akin Ayodele and Marcus Spears on the bench. That is a lot of money invested on your bench players. Plus, I'm sure they'll be real happy about this. C'mon now. Try reading this to yourself before typing it out, because yeah, it is as silly as it sounds.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:17 PM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
This defensive line up is worse than what we currently have. Seriously.
No because DeMarcus Ware's pass rush ability will provide balance, and the extra body gives extra push which leads to penetration.

I will agree Landry is a dream scenario but it is likely either he or Reggie Nelson falls to our slot. Only a few teams need a Safety in the top 25 and we are one of them. If not Nelson then Griffin, and if not Griffin then a FA like Ken Hamlin.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:20 PM    (permalink
ncbigbody
Veteran

My scenarios for a better defense.

Roy Williams drop 20 pounds, gain some of that speed back. Learn to wrap tackle, the "drop your head pound your shoulder into the legs" tackle doesnt work like it used to, wrap the damn tackle.

Add a NT that can rush the passer on 3rd and long situations.

Other than that I think the problem with covering the deep pass is the schemes that were called by Zimmer, I dont neccessarily blame Watkins or Williams for some of the touchdowns they gave up, they dont play cornerback they shouldnt have to run alongside a wide out for 20 yards.

Stop taking Bobby Carpenter out on 3rd down! He is fairly good at rushing the passer.

Those are a couple of my opinions.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:32 PM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

Having Roy lose weight is a joke. Drop 20 pounds? What, put him on the Atkins diet or some crap like that. Having him lose 20 pounds there is a good chance he loses a great deal of muscle, which could make him less powerful in his tackling, which will then take away that positive.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:33 PM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is my issue with whether Parcells is or isn't the problem.

The bottom line is that you have to execute. The Cowboys of the 90's weren't exactly imaginative on offense. It was Emmitt Right, Left and up the middle on just a few different blocking schemes. It was Irvin on Deep Ins or Deep Outs and Novacek on third downs. The key wasn't being creative, it was executing better than the next guy.

How many times do you think opposing defenses knew Larry Johnson or LT were getting the ball this year? Yet, they still executed well. Everyone knows that Chicago is going to throw deep and run the ball. You don't win the game with trickery or even creativity. You win the game with execution. How many times this year did an opposing team line up on 3rd and 2 with 3 TE's and still pound the ball for a first down against the Cowboys? It wasn't the scheme that won, it was the execution.

So, I think it's a telling statistic that during the season, the best record in the NFL was held by the team with the fewest turnovers. The team with the worst record also had the most turnovers. The cowboys looked great before Romo got his head up his a$$ and started fumbling the ball with regularity.

I think the two biggest problems down the stretch were the ability to convert 3rd downs (Romo and TO contributed to this primarily) and the ability to keep the other team from converting (I think Bradie James and Akin Ayodele were the primary culprits).

So, that's my opinion. I think if Romo gets his head back in the game, and either James gets better or gets benched, this team is a legitimate threat in the NFC.

Designs by Thule

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.
LSUALUM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:37 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkNiGht08
Quote:

I am serious.
I agree with you. The problem is coaching; either, it be Offensive, Defensive execution or playcalling.

Offensive
We have so many weapons on offense, but We fail to utilize and create mismatches. We didnt even use Owens to his fullest potential. We shyed away from Jason Witten until the end of the season. So What did we do? We wasted downs by running Julius Jones up the gut for 2 yards. This guy has no vision. He has speed though so Why? Why didn't we use JJ in space. Why didnt we have Glenn in a post route with single coverage. Our offense is capable of doing so much damage, but we have pathetic playcalling. Its sad. Why don't you go to the leagues best wide reciever? Why? Why don't you let MB111 hav more carries than JJ? Why don't you give him a chance and see what happens?

Defensive
WOW. Where do I start? WE know our problem. We cant cover deep. So why don't we fix it. FBs schooled us two weeks in a row. Why can't we get pressure? Why. OMG? WHY! Did Zimmer call the more lamest blitz ever. Why didnt our LBs jam TEs/Wrs? Why did we resort to situation 4-3 earlier. Because Zimmer doesnt know. He cant answer the question. I am glad he is gone. You never got a caluclus teacher to teach you biology. I saw clips. Our LBers would barely touch opposing TEs. They would just let them fly away splitting and embarring the safeties.

Im not done. I can go on longer. But, Yea. Coaching is the problem. I can even talk to you about how Parcells isnt the answer, but inturn I dont see a better option then him right now.
I agree that our play calling improve, but that can be said for nearly every team in the NFL. I don't fault our system or even the head coach. I do think that Zimmer was part of the problem with his lack of 3-4 experience, however I think it will be very hard finding someone to step in and do the job right. There is no way we can afford to go back to the 4-3. No way.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:38 PM    (permalink
ncbigbody
Veteran

Quote:
Having Roy lose weight is a joke. Drop 20 pounds? What, put him on the Atkins diet or some crap like that. Having him lose 20 pounds there is a good chance he loses a great deal of muscle, which could make him less powerful in his tackling, which will then take away that positive.
Call me crazy but Roy Williams missed TONS of tackles this year, i wouldnt worry about his powerful tackling. Anyone who has common sense knows roy williams is too bulky, its not good for his position.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:40 PM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

Your right there is no way we go back to the 4-3 with Parcells as coach, which is simply why I want a new coach. Probably won't happen but that's what I want.
CTCowboysFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:41 PM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbigbody
Quote:
Call me crazy but Roy Williams missed TONS of tackles this year, i wouldnt worry about his powerful tackling. Anyone who has common sense knows roy williams is too bulky, its not good for his position.
You do have a point that he is too bulky for his position which is why I proposed we move him to linebacker and switch back to the 4-3.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:46 PM    (permalink
ncbigbody
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You do have a point that he is too bulky for his position which is why I proposed we move him to linebacker and switch back to the 4-3.
Thats great that you proposed it and all, but he didnt play the position in college, he hasnt played it in the pros, and he would get swallowed up by offensive lineman in space. His position is safety, he needs to drop to the weight he was in college where he was explosive.

Not to mention we already have an abundance of linebackers, it would be pointless.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:56 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

see what you started d-unit
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:58 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with LSU, it all comes down to execution. And the primary component of offenses execution is a Dominating and Consistent Offensive line. There were times when our line looked great in the running game, then pathetic in pass protection, then vice-versa. I've been and I will continue to be a proponent of adding great o-lineman to our team. Doing so would improve the play of both Barber and Jones, and give Romo confidence in the line. I think both G positions could use improvement, and LT irks me with the inconsistent play of Flozell. Either it be through FA or the draft, I would like to see us address the line with talented, mean maulers, beside of so-so FA and project rookies. I remember the days of Larry Allen, Eric Williams and Nate Newton, I remember they were the real MVP's of the golden 90's.

As for our Defense, I'm sorry but I have little to no trust in Watkins. Yes, I know it was his rookie year, and yes he's 6-5 with 4.4 speed and a wingspan that reaches the hole in the roof, but not once did he make a play that made me believe he is the answer. Not Once. He has little ball skills and doesn't seem to play up to his measurables. I would understand peoples love for him if he made a couple plays that showed his potential, but I didn't see a thing. So again either it be through FA or the draft, get a real impact FS, not just some plug-in player.

As Parcells said of Roy when he first got here, "He's one biscuit away from being a Linebacker". Do I want to see him play WOLB...? Jesus no. But I would like to see a drop in weight and little more focus on technique.

3-4 stays.

TO had successful hand surgery, so I don't expect another drop-happy year again next year.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:58 PM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

That's why you trade the backers we no longer need.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:01 PM    (permalink
ncbigbody
Veteran

Quote:
I dont know why everyone talks about trades, this isnt the NBA or the MLB, there arent many trades in football unless they are the swap of draftpicks.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:02 PM    (permalink
DaRkNiGht08
Rookie

DaRkNiGht08 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkNiGht08
Quote:

I am serious.

Offensive

Defensive

I agree that our play calling improve, but that can be said for nearly every team in the NFL. I don't fault our system or even the head coach. I do think that Zimmer was part of the problem with his lack of 3-4 experience, however I think it will be very hard finding someone to step in and do the job right. There is no way we can afford to go back to the 4-3. No way.
I want us to stay witth the 3-4. Going to 4-3 permanently would be useless. Doing it situation wise, would not be bad. Either way. Williams will GET SWALLOWED by OLINEmen. He is fine the way he is.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:18 PM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Quote:
I dont know why everyone talks about trades, this isnt the NBA or the MLB, there arent many trades in football unless they are the swap of draftpicks.
Oh I know, I don't even think this will happen, I just think it should.

As soon as Parcells is hired back my talk will be slienced.

But if Parcells goes expect my talk to continue, because then you really never know who or what is next for the Dallas Cowboys.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:19 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

On the safeties, SS and FS need to be able to cover in typical 3-4, Zone scheme.

As it relates to each role -- the FS is typically the Centerfielder covering the deeper routes moving backwards and the SS is usually covering the intermediate route moving forward. Simplistic but directionally correct.

Watkins as a FS looked not too bad under this simplitic model. Even when he got toasted by Basket and Burress he was step for step. Watkins does not need to do anything drastic but just improve.

But Roy as SS looked horrid. He was slow. Bad angles and lots of missed tackles. I hope he can lose 20 to gain some speed and quickness. I could care less over his "ESPN Hits" which score points in the 13-19 Demographic. I care more over his coverage and tackling in space. He needs to do something if he plans on staying a starting SS playing Zone in a 3-4 alignment.

I realize this sounds absurd to say the worst part of your D is a Pro Bowl SS but in this case ...... odd and reality are one and the same.

Anyway, last few pages look great. Back and forth with little condescension.
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:21 PM    (permalink
ncbigbody
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

But if Parcells goes expect my talk to continue, because then you really never know who or what is next for the Dallas Cowboys.
He still has a year left on his contract, he is just deciding if he wants to coach another year.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:21 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUALUM99

The bottom line is that you have to execute. The Cowboys of the 90's weren't exactly imaginative on offense. It was Emmitt Right, Left and up the middle on just a few different blocking schemes. It was Irvin on Deep Ins or Deep Outs and Novacek on third downs. The key wasn't being creative, it was executing better than the next guy.

How many times do you think opposing defenses knew Larry Johnson or LT were getting the ball this year? Yet, they still executed well. Everyone knows that Chicago is going to throw deep and run the ball. You don't win the game with trickery or even creativity. You win the game with execution. How many times this year did an opposing team line up on 3rd and 2 with 3 TE's and still pound the ball for a first down against the Cowboys? It wasn't the scheme that won, it was the execution.

So, I think it's a telling statistic that during the season, the best record in the NFL was held by the team with the fewest turnovers. The team with the worst record also had the most turnovers. The cowboys looked great before Romo got his head up his a$$ and started fumbling the ball with regularity.

I think the two biggest problems down the stretch were the ability to convert 3rd downs (Romo and TO contributed to this primarily) and the ability to keep the other team from converting (I think Bradie James and Akin Ayodele were the primary culprits).

So, that's my opinion. I think if Romo gets his head back in the game, and either James gets better or gets benched, this team is a legitimate threat in the NFC.
That is an excellent point! Execution is critical and that is a combination of things... coaching... player's learning... and player's skills...

This brings me to the point I wanted to make that I think is the core of the problem. In my opinion, I believe that you need smart players to win this game. Players who understand the game and can play intelligent football give you the best chance to win. If you have the smarts to play this game, you don't have to be the most talented or the most skilled to help your team succeed. Conversely, if you have a few numbskulls on your team, that can kill your chances of winning.

We need to be looking for smart players. Veterans who may not be the most talented, but can play smart. The Patriots are the prime example... but just look around... Marlon McCree was a tremendous pick up for the Chargers... he picked up the entire secondary, which was a huge weakness last year.... look at McNair and Trevor Pryce with the Ravens... look at Fujita and the Saints... look at Ty Law and the Chiefs, he's one of the smartest players in my book... there's Damon Huard who the Chiefs signed for a 1 year contract... that worked out, wouldn't you say... Kevin Mawae and Tennessee...

That said, I think that our team just needs time to learn, grow and build chemistry. We do have bright young players, but they are still learning the game. Learning it through Zimmer was a set back. We need to complement our players with veterans who understand how to play. We just need our players to play smart and understand how to execute, rather than just go out and rely on raw skill.

We should all have our radars up on "smart players".
Old 01-15-2007, 10:22 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUALUM99

That is an excellent point! Execution is critical and that is a combination of things... coaching... player's learning... and player's skills...

This brings me to the point I wanted to make that I think is the core of the problem. In my opinion, I believe that you need smart players to win this game. Players who understand the game and can play intelligent football give you the best chance to win. If you have the smarts to play this game, you don't have to be the most talented or the most skilled to help your team succeed. Conversely, if you have a few numbskulls on your team, that can kill your chances of winning.

We need to be looking for smart players. Veterans who may not be the most talented, but can play smart. The Patriots are the prime example... but just look around... Marlon McCree was a tremendous pick up for the Chargers... he picked up the entire secondary, which was a huge weakness last year.... look at McNair and Trevor Pryce with the Ravens... look at Fujita and the Saints... look at Ty Law and the Chiefs, he's one of the smartest players in my book... there's Damon Huard who the Chiefs signed for a 1 year contract... that worked out, wouldn't you say... Kevin Mawae and Tennessee...

That said, I think that our team just needs time to learn, grow and build chemistry. We do have bright young players, but they are still learning the game. Learning it through Zimmer was a set back. We need to complement our players with veterans who understand how to play. We just need our players to play smart and understand how to execute, rather than just go out and rely on raw skill.
I might take Marion McCree out of that example but yeah players executing is a start.
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:36 PM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

He still has a year left on his contract, he is just deciding if he wants to coach another year.
Does it matter? Either he is back or he isn't, and ultimately yes Jerry is the one who allows him to come back or not so yes hired. Bill didn't hire himself.

And before you reply to this post with your next comment, I know that Jerry already said he wants Bill back.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:37 PM    (permalink
ncbigbody
Veteran

The 3 guys I would love to see the cowboys draft:

Josh Beekman G, Boston College: Consistent mauler, sticks to the defenders he blocks like glue.
Brandon Merriweather S, Miami: Our solution to a ballhawk safety. However is a problem child on and off the field.
Ryan Harris Tackle, ND. He is a very smart instinctive player, very good at handling the speed rushers.

Obviously all 3 guys could go before the third round and most likely will, so im hoping for at least 1 of them.