Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-15-2007, 10:42 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbigbody
The 3 guys I would love to see the cowboys draft:

Josh Beekman G, Boston College: Consistent mauler, sticks to the defenders he blocks like glue.
Brandon Merriweather S, Miami: Our solution to a ballhawk safety. However is a problem child on and off the field.
Ryan Harris Tackle, ND. He is a very smart instinctive player, very good at handling the speed rushers.

Obviously all 3 guys could go before the third round and most likely will, so im hoping for at least 1 of them.
If Beekman is white he is on BP's OL radar screen. LOL.

Meriweather and TO and BP? Hmmm, would make for some talk in the neighborhood.

But Meriweather is a great talent.
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:43 PM    (permalink
Gribble
Pro Bowler

Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've been thinking about what I said about the 4-3 earlier. I'm taking it back. I'm gonna give the 3-4 another chance with another DC. I really trust Parcells and believe that he'll get this turned around and will get Roy motivated to play like a "young Ronnie Lott" like he used to describe him.

On offense, we need to go down the field more by getting ourselves in 2nd and short situations. T.O.'s hand should be healed and he'll be a more reliable target. If Witten can develop into the 3rd down guy like Jay Novacek was, then this offense should be much better. Seems like he was forgotten most of the season...

I'm excited for next year. Doesn't seem like any of the other teams in the NFC are getting any better unless Seattle gets over their Super Bowl hangover and Grossman develops some kind of consistency for the Bears. The Saints are really riding their America's Team label this season and the Eagles just aren't really getting much more with McNabb because it could take away their balance and rhythm. The Giants have the problem in that Tiki is retiring.

I like our chances.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:46 PM    (permalink
Gribble
Pro Bowler

Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Quote:

Josh Beekman G, Boston College: Consistent mauler, sticks to the defenders he blocks like glue.
Brandon Merriweather S, Miami: Our solution to a ballhawk safety. However is a problem child on and off the field.
Ryan Harris Tackle, ND. He is a very smart instinctive player, very good at handling the speed rushers.

Obviously all 3 guys could go before the third round and most likely will, so im hoping for at least 1 of them.

I don't want Meriweather on my team after his reckless and downright stupid behavior during the FIU-UM brawl.

Ryan Harris and the whole ND line didn't step up this year for Brady Quinn. Too many penalties and Colombo and Flozell are decent enough right now.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:50 PM    (permalink
ncbigbody
Veteran

ncbigbody hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gribble
Quote:
Quote:

I don't want Meriweather on my team after his reckless and downright stupid behavior during the FIU-UM brawl.

Ryan Harris and the whole ND line didn't step up this year for Brady Quinn. Too many penalties and Colombo and Flozell are decent enough right now.
Well sometimes you need to take the good for the bad, he reminds me exactly of Sean Taylor, maybe a little less talented, but similar.

And Ryan Harris was the one bright spot on that offensive line IMO, I watched about 6 of their games, in each game I was impressed by his technique and quick feet.

Flozell Adams before his ACL injury was losing mobility a little bit more after each year, the acl injury didnt help, he is almost done. We also have no depth at the position.

Sig thanks to DieHardVikingsFan
ncbigbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 01:15 AM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Have ya'll seen this kid?

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sco...cobyjones.html

6-4 210lbs, 4.40's 40-time. Has hidden gem written all over him. I say we give him a look in the 5th, he might be reach even there, but word on the boards say he runs hard after the catch and makes big plays.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 01:19 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In no way at all does Merriweather remind me of Sean Taylor.

He's exactly the type of character we do not need on our team. He's the type of player that will commit a stupid personal foul unsportsmanlike penalty that will cost our team 15 yards on a critical down... just so that he can show how much of a "tough guy" he is... and everyone will think how stupid he is.

I can see it now... Helmet to helmet hit... or late hit... or head butt after the play is over... excessive celebration... I know it! I just know it!

He's the exact oppposite of what I just finished saying about how we need to collect "smart" football players.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 01:21 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul

6-4 210lbs, 4.40's 40-time. Has hidden gem written all over him. I say we give him a look in the 5th, he might be reach even there, but word on the boards say he runs hard after the catch and makes big plays.
We have our hidden gem in Miles Austin. ...and we have enough projects in him, Crayton and Hurd... and to an extent, Rector. I just know Austin will be a big time player someday. He's one of my favorite players on the entire team.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 01:32 AM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit
Quote:

We have our hidden gem in Miles Austin. ...and we have enough projects in him, Crayton and Hurd... and to an extent, Rector. I just know Austin will be a big time player someday. He's one of my favorite players on the entire team.
Understood, but it's not like I'm saying using a day 1 pick on him. A 5th or a 6th is not to much to ask.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:45 AM    (permalink
ncbigbody
Veteran

Quote:

He's exactly the type of character we do not need on our team. He's the type of player that will commit a stupid personal foul unsportsmanlike penalty that will cost our team 15 yards on a critical down... just so that he can show how much of a "tough guy" he is... and everyone will think how stupid he is.
I can see it now... Helmet to helmet hit... or late hit... or head butt after the play is over... excessive celebration... I know it! I just know it!
He's the exact oppposite of what I just finished saying about how we need to collect "smart" football players.

So your not going to draft a kid because you think he may get you a 15 yard penalty in a critical situation? How about all the plays he will make for a team during the course of a season.

The kid plays with intensity, I want players who play smart, but I also want a kid thats going to flat out play hard. I have seen Merriweather play in tons of games throughout his career, can you say "PLAYMAKER"

So would you have never drafted Sean Taylor because of his sometimes dirty play and off the field problems, although he is one of the best safeties in the league?

But Hey, let's draft some safety from Stanford with a 3.5 GPA because that kid is a smart football player, he doesnt make a lot of plays, but boy is he smart.

Old 01-16-2007, 01:55 AM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Jdallas hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Quote:

So your not going to draft a kid because you think he may get you a 15 yard penalty in a critical situation? How about all the plays he will make for a team during the course of a season.

The kid plays with intensity, I want players who play smart, but I also want a kid thats going to flat out play hard. I have seen Merriweather play in tons of games throughout his career, can you say "PLAYMAKER"

So would you have never drafted Sean Taylor because of his sometimes dirty play and off the field problems, although he is one of the best safeties in the league?

But Hey, let's draft some safety from Stanford with a 3.5 GPA because that kid is a smart football player, he doesnt make a lot of plays, but boy is he smart.
Character also means how you interact with your teammates, how hard you study film to get better, how hard you practice, how hard you work in the offseason, whether or not you'll give up during a game. Playmakers have good character plain and simple.

Desings by D-Unit
Jdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 01:58 AM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Quote:

I would have to say no, I do not want a player with the potential ability to make a dump personal foul in a critical situation. Nothing is more frustrating then to have a knuckle-head making that kind of play. Ask the Chargers and Giants.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:12 AM    (permalink
ncbigbody
Veteran

You guys gotta be kidding. Because some kid who made some mistakes cant be given a second chance, give me a break. You dont know how hard he studys tape, you dont know how hard he practices. All I know is the kid can make plays.

I haven't even seen him get any personal fouls. Dont be so quick to judge his character.

Yea, yeah, he got caught fighting in the Miami brawl this year, but basically every player was involved in that fight.

Old 01-16-2007, 03:04 AM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like the potential in Watkins too but there's one thing that scares me. Why he comes out in the nickel situation, while Roy stays in?
We can say "the coaching staff is stupid bla bla", but the coaches know more than us on their players.. The fact that Nate Jones played the FS on obvious pass situations means to me that the coaching staff didn't trust Watkins as a cover guy.. This is the reason why I want a top FS.. We didn't see Watkins making a lot of mistakes recently, but maybe we don't know how many times he missed his assignment or something like that..
We'll se how many trust has on him Parcells, but right now I'm not very confident with Watkins..
One huge mistake, for me, was benching him in favor of Davis. Keith Davis sucks, he's orrible, he can't cover, he can play only special team. I've said that before the Carolina's game, benching Watkins -even if Watkins was playing bad- in favor of Davis wasn't the right choice because he can't be worse than Davis.. And now have you red the Davis' quote posted by thule? He said something that with him starting we had a winning record. Please!

And for the pass rush, we've already drafted our rusher opposite to Ware. It's Carpenter. We canìt give up on him after one year (and after he started to play well).. We don't know how good he will be, we'll see next year. Right now we don't need another high profile LB. I would pick another one but later in the draft (4-5th round) and only to play a few snaps a game. We have (hopefully) Ellis too..

The problem with the pass rush are, imo, two: coaching and d-line. Look at SD. They do well rushing the passer even without Merriman, Philipps or Castillo (in one game they missed both Merriman and Philipps).. Sometimes we're complaining that merriman gets a ton of sack against TE and RB. But why he's able to do that? Do you think that other teams are so stupid to block one of the best rusher in the league with a back?
It's matchups. The bitzing scheme force other teams to create miss-matches. We can't do that, Zimmer can't do that. Almost everytime we blitzed, the OL picked ip up and Ware wasn't able to run free. In San Diego you don't see this scenario. Everytime they blitz someone broke free (Merriman or Philipps), because they create miss-matches. Zimmer wasn't able to do that.
The other face of the problem is what BBD was talking about. Our DEs weren't playing good against the pass. They didn't engage the OT but they stuff the hole as they were playing the run. If they were able to engage the T, one of our edge rushers would have run free to the QB.

These are my thoughts. We were the #4 ranked defense as late as week 12, than Sean Payton destroyed us. We have to rebuild our confidence and solve those problems on defense. I think this is not too hard, our players need to work on techniques, and our DC has to work on how to blitz effectively. Everything in the passing game is about timing. If you blitz and fail, the other team is gonna score on you. How many times we see the blitz not coming to the QB and letting him looking down-field for 6 seconds? Sometimes our CBs save us playing so well in coverage and helping the pass rush... This is the reason why Newman got only one pick. Because we weren't able to force other QBs to throw bad passes.. Too many times we get "coverage-sacks". That's the reason why I love Terence Newman.

Last but not least, we need another OG opposite to Kosier. Kosier is ok, but Rivera is crap. On the left side Flozell is still a monster in run blocking, but on the right side we don't have one player who can run block. Colombo is very good in pass protection, we need to put a run blocker on his side, this is the reason why I want an OG so bad. Gurode is playing well, so with a very good run blocker on the inside we can get the push we missed on 3rd and short situations..

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 07:52 AM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staubach12
1.DeMarcus Tyler, NT, NC State
2.Anthony Gonzalez, WR, Ohio St
3.Mason Crosby, K, Colorado
4.Jonathan Wade, CB, Tennessee
5.Isaiah Stanback, QB, Washington
7.Jacob Ford, DE/OLB, Central Arkansas
7.Uche Nwaneri, OG, Purdue
7.Jacoby Jones, WR, Lane

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:35 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:

Two things:

a) It shows what folks are saying -- you can get phycially talented WR late

b) I know people like Crayton and Hurd but those two guys look the same to me. Slow, 6'0 with great hands, and play the slot really well. One will do.

c) You can never have enough 6'4 WR with 4.4 speed if they have good hands and play hard.

d) Imagine in a couple of years lining up Miles Austin and 6'3 with 4.4 and another guy at 6'4/6'5 with 4.4 speed and a Hurd in the slot........

We have some nice receivers but more size and speed is a good thing even if it mean giving up on a character guy.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:37 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
1.DeMarcus Tyler, NT, NC State
2.Anthony Gonzalez, WR, Ohio St
3.Mason Crosby, K, Colorado
4.Jonathan Wade, CB, Tennessee
5.Isaiah Stanback, QB, Washington
7.Jacob Ford, DE/OLB, Central Arkansas
7.Uche Nwaneri, OG, Purdue
7.Jacoby Jones, WR, Lane
Staubach's Jacob Ford and Jacoby Jones picks are lights out from a physical talent perspective.

But Staubach is right in many ways -- use the later parts of the draft for top end combine guys who went to smaller schools and had spoty performance.

Not everyone ends up at FSU on national TV with a great position coach to teach them.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:31 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

As an anaytical fan these are the things that bother me. Scott Wright has us drafting Reggie Nelson (great talent and great first pick if it gets to us) but look at the flawed reasoning:

"After yet another long season of seeing Williams get burnt in coverage something tells me that is going to change sooner rather than later though. It's really not Williams' fault as he's more suited to be an in-the-box type and by expecting him to cover wideouts deep you are simply asking for trouble."

Why do I call this flawed reasoning on Scott's part?

1) Roy never ever ever covers WR unless they are being released to him in a 2 Deep Zone. To say the D Coorindator and BP are exposing (as inplied) Roy to 1-1 with Randy Moss is incorrect.

2) Roy is a SS he should be able to stick with a WR when he has a 20 yard cushion on a post or bomb. Maybe not as well as a FS but still...

3) Roy's biggest problem in coverage are not WR -- they are called TEs. 6 TDs this year to TE. 1 to WR where Roy had the double with Watkins.

4) The Cowboys run a 3-4 -- the use of a SS "in-the-box" is an occasional strategy. Even more occasional than the typical 4-3 scheme

5) You can not have Roy in-the-box 100% of the time in any scheme. Talk about predictable.

On another level this gets to my central point on Roy. There are too many individuals telling Roy this very same thing. Too many people repeating this into Jerry's ears. They are called enablers who are masking a real problem.

Until there is a consensus opinion that Roy is hurting this team with his play (and not because he is "not in the box" or the coaches are not schmeing himright) our Defense will not be able to cover a TE and will continue to give up huge plays to WR.

SS need to cover in the NFL, all 32 plus 32 back-ups. Designing any scheme to mask this flaw is irrational.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:43 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
As an anaytical fan these are the things that bother me. Scott Wright has us drafting Reggie Nelson (great talent and great first pick if it gets to us) but look at the flawed reasoning:

"After yet another long season of seeing Williams get burnt in coverage something tells me that is going to change sooner rather than later though. It's really not Williams' fault as he's more suited to be an in-the-box type and by expecting him to cover wideouts deep you are simply asking for trouble."

1) Roy never ever ever covers WR unless they are being released to him in a 2 Deep Zone. To say the D Coorindator and BP are exposing (as inplied) Roy to 1-1 with Randy Moss is incorrect.

2) Roy is a SS he should be able to stick with a WR when he has a 20 yard cushion on a post or bomb. Maybe not as well as a FS but still...

3) Roy's biggest problem in coverage are not WR -- they are called TEs. 6 TDs this year to TE. 1 to WR where Roy had the double with Watkins.

4) The Cowboys run a 3-4 -- the use of a SS "in-the-box" is an occasional strategy. Even more occasional than the typical 4-3 scheme

5) You can not have Roy in-the-box 100% of the time in any scheme. Talk about predictable.

On another level this gets to my central point on Roy. There are too many individuals telling Roy this very same thing. Too many people repeating this into Jerry's ears. They are called enablers who are masking a real problem.

Until there is a consensus opinion that Roy is hurting this team with his play (and not because he is "not in the box" or the coaches are not schmeing himright) our Defense will not be able to cover a TE and will continue to give up huge plays to WR.

SS need to cover in the NFL, all 32 plus 32 back-ups. Designing any scheme to mask this flaw is irrational.
starts slow clap...

FS is not gonna "fix" the Roy Williams issues. Only Roy Williams can do that. If he doesn't shape up this offseason, unless the pass rush becomes really great he will continue to have the same issues.

I think Dallas is on a BPA status. Im leaning towards CB however, considering the age of your CBs. I think you have solid depth at WR, no need to spend a 1st on a WR.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:51 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
Maybe its because my head hurts and Im not thinking clearly, but last time I checked, didn't Dave Campo suck?

I just remember him looking like a bafoon on the Dallas sidelines. There has to be a better candidate than him no?
Hi BBD,

Campo as HC is a dud but his Dallas Defenses (without much talent) where fairly good. Ran 4-3. Had the light DE concept. You can check the stats on NFL.com

He was also a DB position coach who helped develop Darren Woodson as well as some of the decent later round DBs the Cowboys had through 2002.

Any ideas on the Reggie Nelson mock to the Cowboys by Scott Wright? Love to see your post on the Cowboys board.
I don't think a round 1 FS is necessary. I like Watkins progress and I think he's gonna be a solid player at FS with more time to develop. Everyone forgets that he was a rookie, he's gonna make mistakes.

And like Ive said numerous times, a FS doesn't fix the Roy Williams issue, because his duties are independent of what Roy's duties are.

Covering the TE, covering a deep zone, thats the issues right? Well, how is a FS gonna fix Roy's deficiencies in that area? If you assign your FS those responsibilties, moving him in the box to defend the TE, now you either have no safety zone up top, or you put Roy in that zone, which is useless anyway, so that accomplishes nothing.

Like I said earlier, you don't sign a big money contract as a SS to cover the flats and blitz on passing downs, and play in the box for run support. You have linebackers for that. You might as well come out with 5 linebackers if thats the case. Roy's a safety, he needs to learn how to play like one. Period.

Michael Lewis of the Eagles is great against the run. Great in the box. Also gives punishing hits. But he can't cover the TE at all, and can't cover a zone. He got BENCHED. Think about that, what makes him any different from Roy outside of a couple of highlight jacked up hits? Nothing.

Im sticking to my guns here, Roy needs to lose weight to get better in coverage. As a former safety, I see that his mind is reacting quick enough but his body isn't. Thats because he's too damn big. Lose 20 pounds, and you'll see a totally different Roy Williams. But he needs to dedicate himself. If he continues to inflate his own ego and worry about "hammering" people, the Cowboys are in trouble next year.

To sum it up, a FS does nothing to fix the issue at hand. Youre good at FS in the future with Watkins.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:52 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:

starts slow clap...

FS is not gonna "fix" the Roy Williams issues. Only Roy Williams can do that. If he doesn't shape up this offseason, unless the pass rush becomes really great he will continue to have the same issues.

I think Dallas is on a BPA status. Im leaning towards CB however, considering the age of your CBs. I think you have solid depth at WR, no need to spend a 1st on a WR.
What do you mean by "starts slow clap?" Curious.

CB in 1? If BPA you may be right but I think Nelson is one of those Ed Reed guys who can man-up if needed. But I don't have anything more than an eye ball test to make that statement.

Also if we are going the route of the 3-4 with Zone coverage, the emerging consensus is you don't need to spend 1st round material on CB.

This idea comes right from the Saban/Belichick school which may explain the GMen Second Rounder not panning out in the GMen's scheme.

In fact, their are two positions folks are starting to say "don't invest a round 1 pick," CB and WR. Sounds odd given historical drafts but I have heard it repeated quite a bit. Too much talent later in the draft in that 190 to 220 lb range.

Thoughts?
Old 01-16-2007, 12:54 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Maybe its because my head hurts and Im not thinking clearly, but last time I checked, didn't Dave Campo suck?

I just remember him looking like a bafoon on the Dallas sidelines. There has to be a better candidate than him no?
Hi BBD,

Campo as HC is a dud but his Dallas Defenses (without much talent) where fairly good. Ran 4-3. Had the light DE concept. You can check the stats on NFL.com

He was also a DB position coach who helped develop Darren Woodson as well as some of the decent later round DBs the Cowboys had through 2002.

Any ideas on the Reggie Nelson mock to the Cowboys by Scott Wright? Love to see your post on the Cowboys board.
I don't think a round 1 FS is necessary. I like Watkins progress and I think he's gonna be a solid player at FS with more time to develop. Everyone forgets that he was a rookie, he's gonna make mistakes.

And like Ive said numerous times, a FS doesn't fix the Roy Williams issue, because his duties are independent of what Roy's duties are.

Covering the TE, covering a deep zone, thats the issues right? Well, how is a FS gonna fix Roy's deficiencies in that area? If you assign your FS those responsibilties, moving him in the box to defend the TE, now you either have no safety zone up top, or you put Roy in that zone, which is useless anyway, so that accomplishes nothing.

Like I said earlier, you don't sign a big money contract as a SS to cover the flats and blitz on passing downs, and play in the box for run support. You have linebackers for that. You might as well come out with 5 linebackers if thats the case. Roy's a safety, he needs to learn how to play like one. Period.

Michael Lewis of the Eagles is great against the run. Great in the box. Also gives punishing hits. But he can't cover the TE at all, and can't cover a zone. He got BENCHED. Think about that, what makes him any different from Roy outside of a couple of highlight jacked up hits? Nothing.

Im sticking to my guns here, Roy needs to lose weight to get better in coverage. As a former safety, I see that his mind is reacting quick enough but his body isn't. Thats because he's too damn big. Lose 20 pounds, and you'll see a totally different Roy Williams. But he needs to dedicate himself. If he continues to inflate his own ego and worry about "hammering" people, the Cowboys are in trouble next year.

To sum it up, a FS does nothing to fix the issue at hand. Youre good at FS in the future with Watkins.
That folks is Gospel. Someone should email it to Jerra and Scott W. Thanks BBD.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:02 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

starts slow clap...

What do you mean by "starts slow clap?" Curious.

CB in 1? If BPA you may be right but I think Nelson is one of those Ed Reed guys who can man-up if needed. But I don't have anything more than an eye ball test to make that statement.

Also if we are going the route of the 3-4 with Zone coverage, the emerging consensus is you don't need to spend 1st round material on CB.

This idea comes right from the Saban/Belichick school which may explain the GMen Second Rounder not panning out in the GMen's scheme.

In fact, their are two positions folks are starting to say "don't invest a round 1 pick," CB and WR. Sounds odd given historical drafts but I have heard it repeated quite a bit. Too much talent later in the draft in that 190 to 220 lb range.

Thoughts?
Slow clap because I agree with you.

And yes, I do agree with the consensus that CBs and WRs are overrated. Simple reason why. This league is about stopping the run and running the ball. The pass game itself is overrated. Stopping it and creating it aren't round 1 needs.

A great pass rush is all you need in the pass game. Having a shutdown corner is great, but its so hard to find that guy, you gotta get lucky to get one. 9 out of 10 times nabbing a CB in round 1 is not worth it in general.

And I absolutely hate drafting WRs in round 1. Rookie WRs barely make any impact, and their production is too dependent on other factors, such as pass protection and qb. I hate drafting round 1 WRs.

The zone principles of the 3-4...it depends on the the DC. Some guys favor heavy blitzing and man coverage, some favor zone blitzing. Some are really passive and only rush 4 all the time. It all depends.

Bellichick and BP have identical schemes. The only difference is BP favors a little more man coverage than Bellichick does, but their schemes are almost identical. Bellichick learned everything from BP remember.

This team is so hard to project. The talent should be there. But for whatever reasons, it didn't show up this year. So its really hard to point at one issue and call that the reason of the demise. Thats why Im leaning towards BPA.

Right now, while I know I said CB is overrated, if he's BPA you might as well take him. If you aren't on a BPA status, id take Blaylock. Heck, id take Blaylock in Round 1, and Ramirez in round 3 or even 2. That would really help the team out the most imo. Helps the run game, which helps the defense sometimes moreso than anything else.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:12 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Watkins Progression? Did I miss something? I didn't see anything that could remotely be considered an improvement from him. I love the Nelson pick by the way.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:17 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Watkins Progression? Did I miss something? I didn't see anything that could remotely be considered an improvement from him. I love the Nelson pick by the way.
He definately progressed. Name one play where he cost you guys in the last 2 games of the season or in the playoffs.

And outside of a couple of deep burns, particularly against Philly, he really didn't play bad to begin with. At one point he was leading the team in tackles.

And this is the most important part, the part that everyone seems to forget. He was a ROOKIE. He made rookie mistakes. But he's gonna get better. He was a project coming in. You can't expect him to get it right away. With an offseason under him he'll be much better.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:25 PM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Jdallas hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
You guys gotta be kidding. Because some kid who made some mistakes cant be given a second chance, give me a break. You dont know how hard he studys tape, you dont know how hard he practices. All I know is the kid can make plays.

I haven't even seen him get any personal fouls. Dont be so quick to judge his character.

Yea, yeah, he got caught fighting in the Miami brawl this year, but basically every player was involved in that fight.
Someone who starts swinging his helmet at other players during a football game have no place playing football period.

Desings by D-Unit
Jdallas is offline   Reply With Quote