Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 09-17-2013, 10:55 AM    (permalink
BobTheCowboysTroll
Rookie

BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll

When I see what teams like Seattle and Cincinnati have done via the draft and PLAYER DEVELOPMENT I get goose bumps.

When was the last time we found a Richard Sherman in the 5th Round? Or took a no-risk flyer on a Burfict and actually make it work? Or traded up in the 2nd or 3rd for a guy like Mauluga? Ahmad Brooks in San Fran, another great example.

Just incredible.

Anyone see the Bengals actually running their TE down the seem or their slot WR to make big plays downfield? Not just AJ Green. It is like so modern 1990s football.

Last edited by BobTheCowboysTroll : 09-17-2013 at 10:58 AM.
BobTheCowboysTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:22 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does anyone know what our philosophy/identity is on offense? The entire off-season talk was we're going all in with the 2 TE offense, we draft Escobar in the 2nd Round which was a head scratcher but made a little more sense after hearing about the 2 TE offense. But in the first 2 weeks, we haven't seen that at all. We're running this dink and dunk WC based passing game that doesn't mesh with a TE friendly offense at all. What was the point of drafting Escobar with a top 50 selection? Just another example of this team having no clear cut vision and trying to throw all this **** together like it's all going to work. Tired of this organization making moves that don't make sense.

Also want to touch on Dez. We heard all off-season that this guy is ready to dominate the league, but for some reason we've been reluctant to feed him to football. You have a monster, you get him the football. Outside of the 1st Quarter on Sunday, we've iced him out of our offense. I don't know what goes through Romo's head that he thinks an audible to T-Will near the goalline is a better decision than giving Dez a chance on a jump ball in 1-on-1 coverage... a matchup that he was dominating and a situation that he's been automatic in since his rookie season. And this is the guy we give "Peyton Manning" type power at the LOS... you think Peyton calls that audible in that situation? It's like we try to make things more complicated than they have to be, and it's frustrating as hell to watch.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:41 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
Does anyone know what our philosophy/identity is on offense? The entire off-season talk was we're going all in with the 2 TE offense, we draft Escobar in the 2nd Round which was a head scratcher but made a little more sense after hearing about the 2 TE offense. But in the first 2 weeks, we haven't seen that at all. We're running this dink and dunk WC based passing game that doesn't mesh with a TE friendly offense at all. What was the point of drafting Escobar with a top 50 selection? Just another example of this team having no clear cut vision and trying to throw all this **** together like it's all going to work. Tired of this organization making moves that don't make sense.

Also want to touch on Dez. We heard all off-season that this guy is ready to dominate the league, but for some reason we've been reluctant to feed him to football. You have a monster, you get him the football. Outside of the 1st Quarter on Sunday, we've iced him out of our offense. I don't know what goes through Romo's head that he thinks an audible to T-Will near the goalline is a better decision than giving Dez a chance on a jump ball in 1-on-1 coverage... a matchup that he was dominating and a situation that he's been automatic in since his rookie season. And this is the guy we give "Peyton Manning" type power at the LOS... you think Peyton calls that audible in that situation? It's like we try to make things more complicated than they have to be, and it's frustrating as hell to watch.
I think once Brian Waters gets going full speed we will see the offense open up a little. Looks like Romo has checked into extra protection with extra players in the box. Helps when they are actually coming for him but puts the offense in a helluva bind when there is 3 targets surrounded by a cloud of guys backing out in coverage.That being said, the offensive line has been decent so far but I think Tony fears that immediate pressure up the A-B gap.

I wasn't a big fan of the Escobar pick but the thought initially was having position flexability. Both Hannah and Escobar can be used as jumbo targets on the outside. I am fairly surprised we haven't seen the team utilize formation changes at the LOS to maximize matchups when defenses load the box.

I agree that anytime Dez is one on one you have to feed him the ball. He not only has the ability to go get the ball, he is a terror in the open field and can break the big play. There is no excuse for running a screen in the redzone where your star WR is matched up against a 5'8 corner playing off coverage.

Establishing the run game will open the plays up down the field. See my prior comment for my thoughts on that.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:00 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Fox’s Terry Bradshaw was so critical of the Cowboys after the game. Bradshaw will never be mistaken for a Cowboys fan, but he sure sounded like one on TV.

“I’m extremely disappointed in what I saw in Dallas,” he said after the Cowboys dropped a 17-16 decision to the Chiefs. “I have a feeling we are going to see the up and down of the Cowboys. That’s just the way it’s going to be.”

Earlier, Bradshaw unloaded on Cowboys offensive coordinator Bill Callahan, who has assumed play-calling responsibility from head coach Jason Garrett. Keep in mind you rarely hear NFL TV voices slice and dice head coaches, let alone question coordinators.

“Same old weak junk we saw in Oakland,” Bradshaw said, referring to Callahan’s days with the Raiders. “It drives me up a wall, five-yard out routes, five-yard drag routes. You have to take chances. You can’t keep running this short dinky offense.”

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:14 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
Fox’s Terry Bradshaw was so critical of the Cowboys after the game. Bradshaw will never be mistaken for a Cowboys fan, but he sure sounded like one on TV.

“I’m extremely disappointed in what I saw in Dallas,” he said after the Cowboys dropped a 17-16 decision to the Chiefs. “I have a feeling we are going to see the up and down of the Cowboys. That’s just the way it’s going to be.”

Earlier, Bradshaw unloaded on Cowboys offensive coordinator Bill Callahan, who has assumed play-calling responsibility from head coach Jason Garrett. Keep in mind you rarely hear NFL TV voices slice and dice head coaches, let alone question coordinators.

“Same old weak junk we saw in Oakland,” Bradshaw said, referring to Callahan’s days with the Raiders. “It drives me up a wall, five-yard out routes, five-yard drag routes. You have to take chances. You can’t keep running this short dinky offense.”
It is interesting to see how much control Romo actually has on the offense. If he is involved through the process he should have the ability to audible to the deeper routes.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:18 PM    (permalink
jaybebo
Rookie

jaybebo hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think the most frustrating thing with the offense to me is the willingness to abandon the running game...only 21 running plays against the Chiefs this week...I am tired of the coach speak that "we want to be more balanced." If you aren't willing to run the ball, you just give the opposing defense the green light to them to pin their ears back and go after the quarterback...
jaybebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:20 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh yeah. I forgot about how the 12 offense was supposed to be a big deal. I figured they would use them more against an aggressive Chief's D, but they don't seem so committed to it. Escobar is supposed to be a guy that catches everything, so why not go there at the goal line instead of getting cute with screens? I think that's also hurting the running game because it seems like they're using two tight ends just because they don't have a fullback instead of being a true multiple tight end offense. It doesn't feel like an organic choice. It feels more like an experiment.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:23 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with all this frustration.

Callahan called a bad game.

The offensive weapons we have are being underutilized.

Garrett's draft looks disjointed to our offensive scheme in place.

Romo is a mental midget who lacks trust in his OL, lacks trust in his receivers and lacks trust in our RB. Captain Checkdown. Will only throw to the most open guy, normally a short 3-5 yarder which results in high completion rate and low yardage.

When Murray said the Cowboys needed to run more, Romo responded with we need to run better.

That said it all to me. Romo don't trust the run game. He doesn't believe in running the ball to set up the pass. He doesn't understand that even running the ball and not gaining yards, helps to set up play action or draw more defenders in the box down the line. Nope, our QB is a mental midget. If he's not seeing success in front of his face, then he don't trust it. He won't throw to anyone if a defender is within arms length of him. He won't hand the ball off unless we're "running better".

OUR QB NEEDS TO GROW SOME BALLS AND ATTACK VERTICALLY NOT HORIZONTALLY.

I won't entirely blame playcalling cause Romo can audible out of it.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:38 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
Oh yeah. I forgot about how the 12 offense was supposed to be a big deal. I figured they would use them more against an aggressive Chief's D, but they don't seem so committed to it. Escobar is supposed to be a guy that catches everything, so why not go there at the goal line instead of getting cute with screens? I think that's also hurting the running game because it seems like they're using two tight ends just because they don't have a fullback instead of being a true multiple tight end offense. It doesn't feel like an organic choice. It feels more like an experiment.
I'd love to see a redzone package for the tightends to get involved near the endzone. Something just off the top of my head, pistol formation with Dez spit out left, Witten off left tackle as a traditional TE, Miles in the slot to the right and Escobar split out to the right. Have Dez run a corner fade to the outside, Witten curl at the goal line, Miles has an option route from the slot to either take his route across the safties face or curl and sit on the goal line, Escobar fades to the pile on and Murray swings right. Chances are you get at least on favorable matchup in that grouping. Dez should be able to get single coverage deep with Witten forcing short coverage to that side, Escobar should have similar success on the right side with Murray drawing attention in the flat (especially nice if he is matched up on a corner or LB outside), or Miles (our best zone buster) would be matched up vs a saftey/LB in the middle of the endzone.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:51 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I agree with all this frustration.

Callahan called a bad game.

The offensive weapons we have are being underutilized.

Garrett's draft looks disjointed to our offensive scheme in place.

Romo is a mental midget who lacks trust in his OL, lacks trust in his receivers and lacks trust in our RB. Captain Checkdown. Will only throw to the most open guy, normally a short 3-5 yarder which results in high completion rate and low yardage.

When Murray said the Cowboys needed to run more, Romo responded with we need to run better.

That said it all to me. Romo don't trust the run game. He doesn't believe in running the ball to set up the pass. He doesn't understand that even running the ball and not gaining yards, helps to set up play action or draw more defenders in the box down the line. Nope, our QB is a mental midget. If he's not seeing success in front of his face, then he don't trust it. He won't throw to anyone if a defender is within arms length of him. He won't hand the ball off unless we're "running better".

OUR QB NEEDS TO GROW SOME BALLS AND ATTACK VERTICALLY NOT HORIZONTALLY.

I won't entirely blame playcalling cause Romo can audible out of it.
Did you get around to watching the game? Because Romo played almost lights out the first 3 quarters. He actually trusted the offensive line too much in this game causing his only turnover waiting for someone to get open downfield...his internal clock should have went off...but the OL did a good job of giving him time. He moved out reset his feet and got destroyed. I hardly think trust is Romo's problem.

Romo went deep down the field early into triple coverage for Dez. He underthrew the ball and that was really his only bad decision. Media wants to bash us for not going down the field. But I don't think this was an issue at all. The Chiefs shut down the run and refused to give up the deep ball. Middle of the field was clogged all day long. If anything you want to blame the play calling...because quick outs to the flats got called a lot and the chiefs players snuffed it out.

Our QB has no problems going down the field...but you can't force it when it isn't there. That is where the play calling comes in....if we are running a bunch of short routes with only one deep route...Romo is going to check down. Everyone slammed Garrett for his 5 and 7 drops. It's funny to see the same people bitching about not taking shots deep now. I try to stay level headed. Watching the game...I felt like it was obvious we were the better team for the first 3 quarters. The reason we didn't when is because we didn't take care of the football (Lance Dunbar)...it really went all downhill from there. Next series romo gets strip sacked waiting for someone to get open downfield. Huge momentum swing in a game that we had dominated every possession except the Chiefs opening drive. Hell Allen should have picked off Smith on the first drive anyways. The Chiefs were very lucky to win this game and in the 4th quarter they wanted it more then we did. I take my hat off to them. I certain don't mudsling my QB that played lights out for most of the game.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:01 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Recurring theme. Everything D said was accurate until he felt the need for him to bash Romo when he actually played a solid game.

*shrugs*

And we don't need to run more. 2.1 yards per carry doesn't freaking cut it. If Murray would actually look for a hole rather than plowing into the back of his lineman he might actually be an asset rather than a distraction from another passing play.

Not going to quote thule's post but the entire thing is about as accurate as you can possibly get.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:06 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

If anything I was a little miffed that Kiffin didn't send more Blitz looks up the middle in the 4th quarter. I know the design of the defense is to pass rush with 4 but man they had no answer for Bruce Carter or Sean Lean hitting the inside gaps.

That and why Mo Claiborne decided to be so aggressive on the pass interferrence call. While I dont think he made a ton of contact he certainly put the call in the refs hands instead of shadowing and tackling his man short of the marker. Also, why wasnt Scandrick the man on the outside with Mo so nicked up?
Old 09-17-2013, 05:10 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
If anything I was a little miffed that Kiffin didn't send more Blitz looks up the middle in the 4th quarter. I know the design of the defense is to pass rush with 4 but man they had no answer for Bruce Carter or Sean Lean hitting the inside gaps.

That and why Mo Claiborne decided to be so aggressive on the pass interferrence call. While I dont think he made a ton of contact he certainly put the call in the refs hands instead of shadowing and tackling his man short of the marker. Also, why wasnt Scandrick the man on the outside with Mo so nicked up?
Scandrick moved inside in the nickel package when Mo came onto the field. They didn't switch positions it's just that Scandrick played in the base set on the outside. Once they went with 5 dbs....Mo came back out and played RCB and bumped scandrick to the slot.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 09-17-2013, 05:29 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
Did you get around to watching the game? Because Romo played almost lights out the first 3 quarters. He actually trusted the offensive line too much in this game causing his only turnover waiting for someone to get open downfield...his internal clock should have went off...but the OL did a good job of giving him time. He moved out reset his feet and got destroyed. I hardly think trust is Romo's problem.

Romo went deep down the field early into triple coverage for Dez. He underthrew the ball and that was really his only bad decision. Media wants to bash us for not going down the field. But I don't think this was an issue at all. The Chiefs shut down the run and refused to give up the deep ball. Middle of the field was clogged all day long. If anything you want to blame the play calling...because quick outs to the flats got called a lot and the chiefs players snuffed it out.

Our QB has no problems going down the field...but you can't force it when it isn't there. That is where the play calling comes in....if we are running a bunch of short routes with only one deep route...Romo is going to check down. Everyone slammed Garrett for his 5 and 7 drops. It's funny to see the same people bitching about not taking shots deep now. I try to stay level headed. Watching the game...I felt like it was obvious we were the better team for the first 3 quarters. The reason we didn't when is because we didn't take care of the football (Lance Dunbar)...it really went all downhill from there. Next series romo gets strip sacked waiting for someone to get open downfield. Huge momentum swing in a game that we had dominated every possession except the Chiefs opening drive. Hell Allen should have picked off Smith on the first drive anyways. The Chiefs were very lucky to win this game and in the 4th quarter they wanted it more then we did. I take my hat off to them. I certain don't mudsling my QB that played lights out for most of the game.
I only got around to watching the 1st quarter before I feel asleep. But I was taking some notes on every snap and watching each play over and over.

General thoughts on 1st Qtr.
- Romo to Dez connection was spot on and exactly what I want to see. Dez was covered by Flowers but Romo threw it to him anyways and Dez fought hard for the ball. The deep catch by Dez was absolutely beast! Capping the drive off with a Dez TD. TOO EASY!

- Murray was finding yardage when it didn't seem to be there. The one 6 yarder on the left is what we need more of. Witten sealing the edge, Smith and Leary pulling out... the play would've gone for much more if Dez had committed to his blocker better.

- Dan Bailey nailing kicks continues to save face for poor playcalling.

- Sean Lee hasn't been showing up in the box score, but that 1st Qtr breakdown of his play was outstanding! He was everywhere, did a nice job sifting through the trash to track down Charles, on another play hit him at the LOS for a stop knocking Charles' helmet off.

- Church came down to stuff a run play early in the Qtr. Nice to see him active in run support, but his hit at the goalline didn't stop Charles from scoring. He had poor technique for leverage on the hit nor did he wrap up. Charles easily absorbed the hit and broke the plane. If Church is gonna be John Lynch, he has to level guys. Good nose, but I'm not sure he has that kind of strength.

- KC's linebackers are damn fast! Much of their success is coming from their DL eating up blockers and creating running lanes for them to blast through the LOS. So THAT'S what a 3-4 defense looks like!!! OK I get it now, LOL. Facepalming the years of us in the 3-4 w/out a proper NT.

- Poe ate Frederick for lunch with a perfect swim move to sack Romo. Other than that, Romo seemed to have the time he needs.

- Containment on Alex Smith's runs were problematic. That 3rd and 15 scramble for a 1st down could be a foreshadowing of the future against RG3 and Vick for Monte's defense. LBs were peeled back ready to defend the pass, only to see Smith eat up the space underneath to run for a 1st down.

I noted more, but this is off the top of my head. But watching the 1st quarter it looked like this game was going to be much more high scoring.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:29 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Our defense is doing plenty to win imo. Our top 5 offense moves the ball at will as long as a penalty doesn't occur on the drive. What I don't get is why we can't ever win big. The KC game is a perfect example. Could have been a double digit lead after the first half. But failure to execute under pressure takes points off the board.

I know I read something about this yesterday but think this stat blows my mind.

Last year we won 1 game by more then 7 points. It was November 11th in Philly and we won 38-23.

The reason we won this game by more than 7 points is because tied up at 17-17...Dwayne Harris busts a punt return for a TD. Then a few plays later they get a pick 6. This puts the cowboys up 31-17 and we handily put the game away.

When is our next victory going to be where we dominate a opponent and it shows on the scoreboard? Garrett is holding this team back. We lack a killer instinct. Rather than assert ourselves against our opponents weaknesses...we stick to the gameplan and grind out games that come down to the wire. This isn't the worst strategy...but in a league where any team can win on any sunday you got to do as much as you can to let a big play NOT BEAT YOU. If we are up 17-3 or 17-7 you can afford to give up a deep pass. But keep the games close and have a failure to execute....all of a sudden you are down to an inferior team because of one play. One ******* play. Until we assert our dominance on the field we are going to be a middle of the pack team. I love Garretts management of the team/media/players....but we need someone with a killer instinct calling the offense. This will likely never be the case while Garrett is in place...but if there is one thing we can improve on...it's exposing weaknesses.

We have a whole offensive personel setup with guys to create mismatches ... yet too often we are left calling plays just to call plays. What makes a guy like Eli Manning elite is because he can expose weaknesses. He doesn't care of Nicks or Cruz is coverage playing against Alan Ball or Bradie James. He understands that those guys are inferior players so he can AFFORD to take a chance. Romo inside the 5....how do you not even look at Dez? He should be your first look. Hell even if you aren't going to him...a fake hand signal might be just enough to get inside on the safety who has his eyes outside.

This rant really has no point. I just can't believe how many close games we've played since Garrett has been here. Hell even look back to 2011. What happened to this team that blew out inferior opponents.

2011 Big Wins
WIN RAMS 7 COWBOYS 34
WIN BILLS 7 COWBOYS 44
WIN AT COWBOYS 31 BUCCANEERS 15

We need to get back to dominating teams that aren't built to stop our offense. We have an elite WR. a physical RB. A crafty TE. TE with speed and size. All these guys were brought in to create mismatches. Now lets actually see them line them up...get the matchup they want...and execute. A lot easier to execute when you have a physically superior player being covered by an inferior player. Want proof just look at our interior pass defense from 2010-2012 when the middle of the field was so wide open Peyton's mom could have thrown for 400 yards and 4 tds.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 09-17-2013, 05:34 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:

Watching Kiffin coach USC and all the difficulties they had covering read option QBs, Andy Reid must have gone back to look at that tape, cause Alex Smith had a CAREER BEST in rushing yards against us. His very first play he took off on a designed run.

Not really gonna blame the defense for this game though. I have to watch the rest of the game, but did the offense go away from what worked in the 1st Qtr that badly?
Old 09-17-2013, 05:46 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Watching Kiffin coach USC and all the difficulties they had covering read option QBs, Andy Reid must have gone back to look at that tape, cause Alex Smith had a CAREER BEST in rushing yards against us. His very first play he took off on a designed run.

Not really gonna blame the defense for this game though. I have to watch the rest of the game, but did the offense go away from what worked in the 1st Qtr that badly?
KC started dedicating 2 guys to dez side of the field...and put everyone else in the middle of the field. I'd say it worked pretty good. Although we still moved the ball at will when we didn't shoot ourselves in the foot with a penalty. Leary false start penalty was a killer. Should be 7 right then and there. Callahan did nothing to free Dez. Everything was soft and to the flats. When romo did stand in to go downfield I didn't see much. Hell only success we had going down field was against fullhouse blitzes in which Romo just tosses it up. Remember one to Williams and one to Dez. both perfect throws...but there was nothing over the middle. One Terrance Williams in route if my memory serves me right.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 09-17-2013, 05:53 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Recurring theme. Everything D said was accurate until he felt the need for him to bash Romo when he actually played a solid game.

*shrugs*

And we don't need to run more. 2.1 yards per carry doesn't freaking cut it. If Murray would actually look for a hole rather than plowing into the back of his lineman he might actually be an asset rather than a distraction from another passing play.

Not going to quote thule's post but the entire thing is about as accurate as you can possibly get.
We need to figure out how to run the ball if we plan on doing anything this year. When teams know you can't run the ball they will blitz the hell out of you like KC did on Sunday, that's the real reason we had so many pass attempts 5 yards and shorter. Defenses crowd the LOS, play press coverage and send 5, 6, or more rushers forcing you get the ball out quickly on routes that can't develop. It was the same plan Washington had against us in the season finale last year. We wind up facing 3rd and longs all game and after the fact we're all up in arms wondering how an offense with so many weapons can produce so little... happens like clockwork every year.

Consider this stat:

The last time the Cowboys won a football game with fewer than 20 carries was December 9, 2007 at Detroit. Since then, they are 0-18.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:55 PM    (permalink
BobTheCowboysTroll
Rookie

BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll

LOL

1) So now folks realize we ran a 3-4 improperly for years? Dear god. Yeah, 2 Gap, not this BS 1 gap crap.
2) By logic here, I guess only Dez can run deep routes. Then people wonder why our O stinks
3) Callahan sucks .now .... errrrr he ran this same O with Gannon except they had a running game
BobTheCowboysTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:38 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Consider this stat:

The last time the Cowboys won a football game with fewer than 20 carries was December 9, 2007 at Detroit. Since then, they are 0-18.
Absolutely. My comment on "not running more" was more-so that we can't give our backfield more carries if they are giving 2.1 yards for an output. 4 yards from 2 downs means we have 3rd and 6 and an incoming blitz.

Murray is a 4+ yard back and the blocking in front of him isn't poor enough to justify his output. He needs to focus and double down and go back to being a patient back with vision rather than an impatient one who runs into the asses of his lineman.

I think we'll see a commitment to the run against STL and the offense will open up. The real question is will we remain committed to it after one week. We have a tendency to have a "feel good" game where we run the ball well and revert back to 15 carries for 23 yards the following week.

Perhaps a heavier dose of Waters will result in more opportunities in the running game.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:53 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLatJerrahJones View Post
LOL

1) So now folks realize we ran a 3-4 improperly for years? Dear god. Yeah, 2 Gap, not this BS 1 gap crap.
2) By logic here, I guess only Dez can run deep routes. Then people wonder why our O stinks
3) Callahan sucks .now .... errrrr he ran this same O with Gannon except they had a running game

The only thing I can take away from this is that the only thing you do here is read your own posts.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:55 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
We need to figure out how to run the ball if we plan on doing anything this year. When teams know you can't run the ball they will blitz the hell out of you like KC did on Sunday, that's the real reason we had so many pass attempts 5 yards and shorter. Defenses crowd the LOS, play press coverage and send 5, 6, or more rushers forcing you get the ball out quickly on routes that can't develop. It was the same plan Washington had against us in the season finale last year. We wind up facing 3rd and longs all game and after the fact we're all up in arms wondering how an offense with so many weapons can produce so little... happens like clockwork every year.

Consider this stat:

Funniest thing about that stat... It's been a "running" joke around here for years.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:59 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
KC started dedicating 2 guys to dez side of the field...and put everyone else in the middle of the field. I'd say it worked pretty good. Although we still moved the ball at will when we didn't shoot ourselves in the foot with a penalty. Leary false start penalty was a killer. Should be 7 right then and there. Callahan did nothing to free Dez. Everything was soft and to the flats. When romo did stand in to go downfield I didn't see much. Hell only success we had going down field was against fullhouse blitzes in which Romo just tosses it up. Remember one to Williams and one to Dez. both perfect throws...but there was nothing over the middle. One Terrance Williams in route if my memory serves me right.
Where is Miles Austin? Witten? Murray out of the backfield? If Dez is drawing coverage, why aren't we finding the free guy?

...oh nvmd... I see Callahan running them through timed 5 yard sprints on the practice cam. lmao
Old 09-17-2013, 07:00 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'd love to see a redzone package for the tightends to get involved near the endzone. Something just off the top of my head, pistol formation with Dez spit out left, Witten off left tackle as a traditional TE, Miles in the slot to the right and Escobar split out to the right. Have Dez run a corner fade to the outside, Witten curl at the goal line, Miles has an option route from the slot to either take his route across the safties face or curl and sit on the goal line, Escobar fades to the pile on and Murray swings right. Chances are you get at least on favorable matchup in that grouping. Dez should be able to get single coverage deep with Witten forcing short coverage to that side, Escobar should have similar success on the right side with Murray drawing attention in the flat (especially nice if he is matched up on a corner or LB outside), or Miles (our best zone buster) would be matched up vs a saftey/LB in the middle of the endzone.
I like that formation a lot. What works in that favor too is that there are big guys out there. Dez is 6'2. Austin is 6'2. Witten is 6'5, and if I'm not mistaken Escobar is 6'6. All guys are big too, so they can fight for some balls if they get the opportunity. If needed Murray can at least get a burst to the goal line. There's too much talent out there for them to be so poor at scoring touchdowns in the red zone.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:11 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sooooo let me get this right, after staying awake for ONE quarter, your going to blame the loss on Romo and call him a mental midget huh? You say he doesnt trust his WRs but he throws a perfect deep ball to Dez for possibly the game clinching score only to see it dropped. He needs to trust the 31st ranked rushing attack (2012 franshise low) regarless of the results (2.1 YPC) LOL D you need to get off the Romo sucks tirade and actually watch the whole game before you come with that weak azz conclusion.

If he throws it deep into double coverage its an idiotic play and hes a "gunslinger" if he doesnt its because he doesnt trust his WRs and all he does is dink and dunk. He cant win with you.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote