Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 09-30-2013, 02:36 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is Witten's tank starting to run on empty? I have him on my fantasy team for one of my leagues and he's killing me this year.

He's been money for so many years but he's just not putting up points this year. What gives?
Old 09-30-2013, 02:43 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Is Witten's tank starting to run on empty? I have him on my fantasy team for one of my leagues and he's killing me this year.

He's been money for so many years but he's just not putting up points this year. What gives?
Witten looks the same. He's being asked to run block a lot more because of Callahan's run blocking scheme combined with the fact that he's the only TE on our roster who can block worth a darn and nor do we employ a Fullback.

But he's always been more of a possession receiver anyways. He rarely will get a TD because he lacks explosion and we tend to find ways to mess up in the redzone (same issue over the years w/Garrett). I never go for Witten in fantasy because he's always overdrafted.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:49 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Witten looks the same. He's being asked to run block a lot more because of Callahan's run blocking scheme combined with the fact that he's the only TE on our roster who can block worth a darn and nor do we employ a Fullback.

But he's always been more of a possession receiver anyways. He rarely will get a TD because he lacks explosion and we tend to find ways to mess up in the redzone (same issue over the years w/Garrett). I never go for Witten in fantasy because he's always overdrafted.
All my leagues are PPR except this money league this year is standard draft and I took Witten and he's killing me bc I'm not getting those PPR points.

I think he only got 3 points this week. Brutal.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:59 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The frustrating part of losing yesterday was that it was another one of those games we should've won, but didn't. That makes 2 for the year. KC and now SD. This is the same trend we've seen in year's past.

I think we can beat Denver if we run the ball and control the time of possession.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:00 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Yep. Always draft the super athletes. I have either Cook or Cameron in every single league.

Sad part is we can't stop good QBs defensively and we have hamstrung our offense.

Not-so-fun stat:
Quote:
6.1: Romo's yards per pass attempt on the day, after subtracting sack yardage. As has been the case all season, with the exception of the Rams game, Romo's yards per attempt was far lower than his career average. Indeed, one of the most astonishing statistics of Romo's early career has been a YPA that rival the best in history - and is far higher than other small-ball era QBs. In 2013, however, he appears to have been grounded, either by design, by some sort of physical limitation due to injury or age, or by the sheer inability of the guys around him.
IMHO Romo's arm strength has never been amazing but he has lost some zip since getting injured a few weeks ago. That being said Callahan's hallmark has always been short passing and it hurts us. We are NOT built to be a sustained offense that passes the ball 50 times while holding onto the ball all game. This offense is perfect for Peyton Manning. We don't have Peyton Manning so we are we building our offense around short passing. Get back to running the football and utilizing play action.

Our best offensive plays against both the Rams and Chargers are play action passing setup by running the football. Look back to when Garrett first became OC and he does this REPEATEDLY. I'm not sure if he's trying to outsmart himself but getting back to the basics would work wonders.

Until Austin gets fully healthy lets run "12" formations until the other team stops them. The Chargers looked helpless for a while when Murray was smacking them for 5.0 YPC and then Romo hit Dez deep off play action... then we abandoned it NEVER to return to it.

I don't understand our offense.

Defensively it is REALLY hard to be effective if you can't get pressure with your front four. We couldn't yesterday and Rivers had a field day with short passes. Given at the start of the season we were relying/hoping for increased production on: Spencer (IR), Crawford (IR), Ratliff (injured), Lissemore (Traded), and Bass (IR); I can't exactly fault the pressure guys up front for not getting reliable pressure. Ware also played 75% of the snaps yesterday due to back issues.

That being said Kiffin has me legitimately worried about his adjustments. I love the scheme and it seems to be VERY effective to open games. However after teams adjust it feels like we rest on our laurels. Repeatedly we allowed the Chargers to motion RBs or TEs out wide and force our corners into bad positions to open the play. Claiborne should not be chasing a slot receiver across the field with no safety help. That is stupid. When offensives overload a side of the field switch to zone or walk a safety down to compensate.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:00 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
All my leagues are PPR except this money league this year is standard draft and I took Witten and he's killing me bc I'm not getting those PPR points.

I think he only got 3 points this week. Brutal.
I don't feel sorry for you. I drafted David Wilson in Round 3. What a turd bucket. He's your guys version of Felix Jones.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:11 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Yep. Always draft the super athletes. I have either Cook or Cameron in every single league.

Sad part is we can't stop good QBs defensively and we have hamstrung our offense.

Not-so-fun stat:

IMHO Romo's arm strength has never been amazing but he has lost some zip since getting injured a few weeks ago. That being said Callahan's hallmark has always been short passing and it hurts us. We are NOT built to be a sustained offense that passes the ball 50 times while holding onto the ball all game. This offense is perfect for Peyton Manning. We don't have Peyton Manning so we are we building our offense around short passing. Get back to running the football and utilizing play action.

Our best offensive plays against both the Rams and Chargers are play action passing setup by running the football. Look back to when Garrett first became OC and he does this REPEATEDLY. I'm not sure if he's trying to outsmart himself but getting back to the basics would work wonders.

Until Austin gets fully healthy lets run "12" formations until the other team stops them. The Chargers looked helpless for a while when Murray was smacking them for 5.0 YPC and then Romo hit Dez deep off play action... then we abandoned it NEVER to return to it.

I don't understand our offense.

Defensively it is REALLY hard to be effective if you can't get pressure with your front four. We couldn't yesterday and Rivers had a field day with short passes. Given at the start of the season we were relying/hoping for increased production on: Spencer (IR), Crawford (IR), Ratliff (injured), Lissemore (Traded), and Bass (IR); I can't exactly fault the pressure guys up front for not getting reliable pressure. Ware also played 75% of the snaps yesterday due to back issues.

That being said Kiffin has me legitimately worried about his adjustments. I love the scheme and it seems to be VERY effective to open games. However after teams adjust it feels like we rest on our laurels. Repeatedly we allowed the Chargers to motion RBs or TEs out wide and force our corners into bad positions to open the play. Claiborne should not be chasing a slot receiver across the field with no safety help. That is stupid. When offensives overload a side of the field switch to zone or walk a safety down to compensate.
Run to set up the effectiveness of playaction doesn't sound like a genius plan, but the Cowboys sure seem lack the fundamental understanding of it.

Our first play of the game was playaction and it failed because the secondary didn't bite. From then on I knew we were being run by numbskulls. Hellooooo.... playaction is a good fake if you set it up by running the ball first!

I also notice that Romo's fakes are terrible half ass efforts that defenders don't really see the need to bite on. He needs to do more hard faking with playaction and pump fakes.

Romo is still good at escaping pass rush, but it seems like he enters a state of panic more instead of staying cool with the extra seconds he buys. In his younger days he stayed cool and made gutsy throws. I don't think he has the same mentality.

Young Romo was kind of like Johnny Manziel. Eludes pressure but stays calm on his feet confident in completing the play. Just an observation.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:32 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Run to set up the effectiveness of playaction doesn't sound like a genius plan, but the Cowboys sure seem lack the fundamental understanding of it.

Our first play of the game was playaction and it failed because the secondary didn't bite. From then on I knew we were being run by numbskulls. Hellooooo.... playaction is a good fake if you set it up by running the ball first!

I also notice that Romo's fakes are terrible half ass efforts that defenders don't really see the need to bite on. He needs to do more hard faking with playaction and pump fakes.

Romo is still good at escaping pass rush, but it seems like he enters a state of panic more instead of staying cool with the extra seconds he buys. In his younger days he stayed cool and made gutsy throws. I don't think he has the same mentality.

Young Romo was kind of like Johnny Manziel. Eludes pressure but stays calm on his feet confident in completing the play. Just an observation.
D- I hope you are just trolling me with that garbage.

Tony has constantly been touted as being excellent at them. If you are referring to lazy play design (those that Romo turns his shoulder and then rolls) then I agree. However when we do real play-fakes Romo isn't tipping his hand.

Quote:
In yesterday’s analysis of the lack of deception in Jason Garrett’s play-calling, I posted some numbers on the Cowboys’ playaction passing game. Garrett is on pace to call just over half as many playaction passes as he’s averaged over the past three seasons, despite the fact that Tony Romo has excelled on them.

Quote:
PFF has tracked the Cowboys as attempting a playaction pass on 10.0 percent of Romo’s dropbacks. I have the number at 8.0 percent, and the difference likely stems from how we label playaction. I count only full fakes to the running back as playaction; my hunch is that PFF labels any sort of turn toward the back as a playaction look, and thus has counted six more than me on the season.
What makes me sad is that it works in practice too against a defense that knows we use them.

THAT IS ONE PRACTICE REPORT. That isn't a collection of multiple practices that is only for August 12th, 2013. Can you imagine how many play-action reps this team has only to use them once a game? Maddening.

One last report that captions my pain.

Quote:
They made it look so easy it made you wonder why it doesn’t happen more often.

After quarterback Tony Romo froze linebacker Sean Lee with a play-action fake, tight end Jason Witten got wide open against strong safety Will Allen for a 25-yard touchdown Sunday afternoon.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:27 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Aww man don't remind me of the lack of play action. That touchdown to Dez was beautiful, but then they didn't go back to it at all. They really have to start using successful types of plays multiple times instead of trying to make sure they try everything in the play book.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:46 PM    (permalink
BobTheCowboysTroll
Rookie

BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll

Quote:

Old and slow.
BobTheCowboysTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:47 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
Aww man don't remind me of the lack of play action. That touchdown to Dez was beautiful, but then they didn't go back to it at all. They really have to start using successful types of plays multiple times instead of trying to make sure they try everything in the play book.
I swear it's like they enjoy abandoning what works in favor of doing what doesn't. But it all starts with establishing the run which we failed to attempt once again.

Maybe they thought San Diego would digest everything from the Rams game thinking we would do the same thing. So we went out there and decided to outthink them by not doing ANYTHING we did against STL. haha.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:48 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheCowboysTroll View Post
Old and slow.
Witten was slow the day he was born.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:50 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
D- I hope you are just trolling me with that garbage.

Tony has constantly been touted as being excellent at them. If you are referring to lazy play design (those that Romo turns his shoulder and then rolls) then I agree. However when we do real play-fakes Romo isn't tipping his hand.

What makes me sad is that it works in practice too against a defense that knows we use them.

THAT IS ONE PRACTICE REPORT. That isn't a collection of multiple practices that is only for August 12th, 2013. Can you imagine how many play-action reps this team has only to use them once a game? Maddening.

One last report that captions my pain.
People tout Romo as being great at fakes? Oh well, that's news to me.

Anyways, I don't really fault Romo for this one. The playcalling went back to the dumpsters again and the defense couldn't stop Rivers. I just wish Romo targeted Dez more.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:55 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
People tout Romo as being great at fakes? Oh well, that's news to me.

Anyways, I don't really fault Romo for this one. The playcalling went back to the dumpsters again and the defense couldn't stop Rivers. I just wish Romo targeted Dez more.
It's soooo easy to keep the ball out of Dez's hands when we avoid using play-fakes.

Simply bracket him and the only place on the field you have to worry is the red zone (where we don't mind giving him jump balls).

When we run effectively and run play action anytime you get the CB OR the FS to bite it's a money matchup for us. Sad that football 101 still eludes our offensive playcallers. :/
Old 09-30-2013, 06:10 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mo is looking like a bust. I hope not. If he was somewhat solid, yet unspectacular last year, this year wow, I don't know.

Also our Linebackers as we saw got burnt all day which was surprising, but perhaps we overate them a bit. Safeties should have been covering Gates not Lee.

Offensively. Same old story, getting away from Dez, dropped balls, not sticking with the run when its' working.

Last edited by Jas : 09-30-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:44 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas View Post
Mo is looking like a bust. I hope not. If he was somewhat solid, yet unspectacular last year, this year wow, I don't know.

Also our Linebackers as we saw got burnt all day which was surprising, but perhaps we overate them a bit. Safeties should have been covering Gates not Lee.

Offensively. Same old story, getting away from Dez, dropped balls, not sticking with the run when its' working.
Well Mo is injured so I'll let it slide for a bit. He has got to improve though you are right.

The scheme left the linebackers out to dry. Not many linebackers in the league are going to be able to cover wheel and seam routes run by RBs and TEs. I personally think this was Kiffin's worst game he's called for us sadly. :/

You are right that we went right back to the normal narrative after breaking it last week. Hard to be shocked though it has been our MO for a long time now. :( I even predicted it prior to the week just an ugly mindset.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:57 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What's funny is that they'll probably beat the Broncos next week just because everyone is expecting a big loss. They won't get cute on offense because they have to keep Peyton off the field, and the defense will probably make sure they have a bunch of DBs on the field. If there's one thing the Cowboys are good at it's doing what you don't expect. They are the type of team that beats high level, undefeated teams and loses to winless teams.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:42 AM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I doubt they beat the broncos...that would involve actually running the ball to keep manning off the field, and the offense actually scoring.
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:55 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hard to believe we can stop Manning when we saw what Phillip Rivers could do with 3 backup OL in the game. Manning is too efficient imo...broncos win by atleast 10. The Broncos are 8 point favorites this week at our home stadium. This isn't going to be a fun game.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:38 AM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
Hard to believe we can stop Manning when we saw what Phillip Rivers could do with 3 backup OL in the game. Manning is too efficient imo...broncos win by atleast 10. The Broncos are 8 point favorites this week at our home stadium. This isn't going to be a fun game.
Agreed, we have a pretty inexperienced secondary aside from carr and scandrick, Manning is going to set more records if we can't pressure him consistently.
The safeties are pretty green unless you start Allen over Wilcox. Claibornes lost right now Manning will pick on him all day, whats the solution there?
Move scandrick to corner and you have webb in the slot..??

I know we're all hoping they can run the ball because they're not going to win a track meet. But if it becomes one they better at least attempt some passes beyond 15 yards, otherwise 10 points is a conservative spread imo
Old 10-01-2013, 09:48 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Allen was ATROCIOUS. Wilcox actually has played reasonable compared to him.

He was borderline Danny McCray bad for those first two games before he was benched for Wilcox.

I have a feeling we'll be down 3 scores by midway through the 3rd quarter before the Broncos take their foot off the gas and let Manning rest. Granted he'll have 400 yards by then so his number will be fine.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:58 AM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Quote:
Allen was ATROCIOUS. Wilcox actually has played reasonable compared to him.

He was borderline Danny McCray bad for those first two games before he was benched for Wilcox.

I have a feeling we'll be down 3 scores by midway through the 3rd quarter before the Broncos take their foot off the gas and let Manning rest. Granted he'll have 400 yards by then so his number will be fine.
I know, we're in trouble unless we can get to him which we struggled to do against Rivers, they may have to get creative in how they come after him i.e bringing Carter(or sims, who they're now considering playing more) and scandrick, even a safety, but that leaves you vulnerable in other areas, so it's going to be interesting. But making him uncomfortable is the key, thats how we beat him in the past and pretty much the key to beating him in general..he has to be hit and hit often.

Last edited by Jas : 10-01-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:05 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas View Post
I know, we're in trouble unless we can get to him which we struggled to do against Rivers, they may have to get creative in how they come after him i.e bringing Carter(or sims, who they're now considering playing more) and scandrick, even a safety, but that leaves you vulnerable in other areas, so it's going to be interesting. But making him uncomfortable is the key, thats how we beat him in the past and pretty much the key to beating him in general..he has to be hit and hit often.
Only way to beat Manning, or any elite QB for that matter, is to get pressure with less rushers. If we blitz him he's going to pick us apart like Rivers did. We struggled to get 4-man pressure and he ate us alive whenever we blitzed.

Look for the Broncos to do a lot of the same keys, motioning RB/TEs out wide, 3 step drops, etc to force mismatches on us. Kiffin needs a killer gameplan to bounce back because if he fields that same drivel he did last week we are going to get smacked around. :/

I do like our LB blitzes it's just a matter of catching him off-guard which is REALLY hard to do with a cerebral QB like Peyton.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:18 AM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Quote:
Only way to beat Manning, or any elite QB for that matter, is to get pressure with less rushers. If we blitz him he's going to pick us apart like Rivers did. We struggled to get 4-man pressure and he ate us alive whenever we blitzed.

Look for the Broncos to do a lot of the same keys, motioning RB/TEs out wide, 3 step drops, etc to force mismatches on us. Kiffin needs a killer gameplan to bounce back because if he fields that same drivel he did last week we are going to get smacked around. :/

I do like our LB blitzes it's just a matter of catching him off-guard which is REALLY hard to do with a cerebral QB like Peyton.
Yes, but I don't think it's going to happen with a 4 man rush, would like to see it but I'm not feeling good about it. Maybe the offense can keep him off the field if they game plan correctly and execute. We'll see.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:14 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Thankfully they don't have a Danny Woodhead/ Darren Sproles type of back. Julius Thomas at TE is a completely different story, as he is a guy who can challenge the defense vertically. Carr vs Thomas should be a very good matchup and the outside if they decide to man up in coverage. Same when Scandrick matchups up on Welker. Claiborne vs Decker is going to be a soft spot in coverage imo. Mo is either playing 8 yards off the WR or getting zero jam with his bad shoulder in press coverage. I'd love to see Bruce Carter get more blitz opportunities up the middle, it is clearly a strong suit of his. Allow Lee and the safties pick JT run his way through zone coverage on the back end. If Monte plays soft zone coverage Manning is going to shoot fish in the barrel.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote