Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 10-08-2013, 04:40 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys released veteran safety Will Allen on Tuesday.

Allen started the first two games of the season before he was replaced by rookie J.J. Wilcox prior to the Sept. 22 win against the St. Louis Rams. Allen was credited with 17 tackles to go with an interception in the season opener against the New York Giants and two pass deflections.

The Cowboys have not decided how to fill the roster spot.

Allen was signed to a one-year deal worth the veteran minimum salary benefit worth $840,000. He received a signing bonus of $65,000, and $555,000 of his base salary was guaranteed. Allen played for defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin and special-teams coordinator Rich Bisaccia in Tampa Bay and was viewed as a solid locker room presence.

The Cowboys have four safeties on the roster in Barry Church, Wilcox, Danny McCray and undrafted rookie Jeff Heath. Church suffered a broken nose in last week’s loss to the Denver Broncos but will not miss a game.
No love lost. I still think we need our version of Earl Thomas. I don't see it in Church, Wilcox, McCray or Heath. Team and coaches may not consider it a need though. That's my worry.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:41 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Lol, thats called GREAT strategy. Doesnt change the fact that our coach didnt tell our D to let him score does it? They got the ball and we tried to stop them which was the wrong thing to do in that situation. I know we as fans arent supposed to question the genius that is our head coach but he should have told our line to lay down and let them score like they did for most of the day lol
Exactly. I don't care what they were thinking the fact is what were we thinking or not thinking in this case??!!
Jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:47 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Just so everyone knows, we are the first and only team in NFL HISTORY to score 48 points and lose. Also for everybody whos so giddy about our O-line and how great they are supposedly playing

[/b]
http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/20...nt-story.html/
More sacks and still cant/wont run the ball. Our line is decent but not top 10 like some folks on here are acting like.
Thats interesting I guess perception really does create reality. Because I thought they looked better so far this season too, well in pass protection anyway. They still have run blocking issues and a back with questionable vision.

But I like the Oline and think they will continue to improve. And If we had the chance again, I'd still take Frederick and Williams over Floyd.

Last edited by Jas : 10-08-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:27 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Didn't really need a series of graphs to come to this conclusion but Dez needs more targets. :)

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/ar...a-e3d3c19f2a69
Old 10-08-2013, 05:58 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Im not saying Floyd is the answer to beating the Broncos, Im just stating that with Floyd Ware and Watt to go along with Hatcher, we COULD have had a dominate line. Or so it appears on paper. It seems funny that our line is great because we ran for 175+ on the Rams but in the other 4 games we stunk because of no FB, scheme, coaching, lack of commitment, ect ect. Regardless of the reasons or why we are where we are it all comes back to JJ. You want Romo to be better and to carry us and the man throws for 500+ with 5 TDs and we STILL lose. We are 2-3, and after 5 games and looking at our schedule how many people predicted that?? I guess if people want to be happy with 8-8 every year and talk about how we added this or that and how we hung close with a team, lets just say its disappointing...

What one part of our team do you look at and say we are dominate at that position? Do we have a Dominate O-line? No. Do we have a Dominate D-line? No. Are our LBs dominate? Corners? Safetys? Running game? Passing game? At times we can run, at times we can pass. Our D is horrible and I didnt see that coming. I really thought this year we might challenge in the playoffs, not for, but in. It appears after 5 games we still have a VERY flawed team and IMO its time to clean house....Again

D, you were right about Kiffen. He stinks. Another bad fit and hire.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:17 PM    (permalink
cmd34
Rookie

cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Who knew that a guy who struggled mightily against the very offenses the league is changing to, would continue to struggle?
cmd34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:18 PM    (permalink
cmd34
Rookie

cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
No love lost. I still think we need our version of Earl Thomas. I don't see it in Church, Wilcox, McCray or Heath. Team and coaches may not consider it a need though. That's my worry.
I'd say trading for Jairus Byrd is a no-brainer but GM Jerry would give away the farm.
cmd34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:31 PM    (permalink
dsc1600
Veteran

dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Im not saying Floyd is the answer to beating the Broncos, Im just stating that with Floyd Ware and Watt to go along with Hatcher, we COULD have had a dominate line. Or so it appears on paper. It seems funny that our line is great because we ran for 175+ on the Rams but in the other 4 games we stunk because of no FB, scheme, coaching, lack of commitment, ect ect. Regardless of the reasons or why we are where we are it all comes back to JJ. You want Romo to be better and to carry us and the man throws for 500+ with 5 TDs and we STILL lose. We are 2-3, and after 5 games and looking at our schedule how many people predicted that?? I guess if people want to be happy with 8-8 every year and talk about how we added this or that and how we hung close with a team, lets just say its disappointing...

What one part of our team do you look at and say we are dominate at that position? Do we have a Dominate O-line? No. Do we have a Dominate D-line? No. Are our LBs dominate? Corners? Safetys? Running game? Passing game? At times we can run, at times we can pass. Our D is horrible and I didnt see that coming. I really thought this year we might challenge in the playoffs, not for, but in. It appears after 5 games we still have a VERY flawed team and IMO its time to clean house....Again

I love how you never mention the colossal mistakes Romo makes in the clutch, which lead directly to losses, over and over again.
dsc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:35 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We knew the value of our CBs would diminish in this scheme, but Bruce Carter and Sean Lee don't seem to be doing as well in this scheme either. Lee's tackle numbers are down cause he's not asked to stuff the run as much (something he was really good at in the 3-4), and they are asked to drop back in coverage way too much. I'm almost wondering if it's a bad thing to have linebackers in this defense. lol. It's a crazy thought, but we are getting torched by TEs! Antonio Gates and Julius Thomas in the last 2 weeks have caused MAJOR wreakage. Would inserting Holloman give us a better chance? He's not as far removed from Safety as Bruce Carter is. Lee and Carter trying to cover these athletic TEs w/out Safety help is not doing us any favors.

This Sunday is the first time we're facing a read option QB, so buckle your belts buddy boys. We could be in for a repeat shootout.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:44 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc1600 View Post
I love how you never mention the colossal mistakes Romo makes in the clutch, which lead directly to losses, over and over again.
I love how you never mention that without Romo we lose that game by 35!! Our D gives up 51 points and you want to talk about 1 pick? LOL Such a joke!! Oh and BTW Peyton had a pick as well SMH!!

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 10-08-2013, 06:47 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd34 View Post
I'd say trading for Jairus Byrd is a no-brainer but GM Jerry would give away the farm.
I know he had plantar faciaitis in both feet earlier this season. Has he been playing well this year? I haven't really followed.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:49 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

BTW Mo Claiborne's pick on Peyton is Peyton's only pick this year. :)

It was also made while Mo was in man coverage. Ball skillzzzzz...
Old 10-08-2013, 06:54 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
We knew the value of our CBs would diminish in this scheme, but Bruce Carter and Sean Lee don't seem to be doing as well in this scheme either. Lee's tackle numbers are down cause he's not asked to stuff the run as much (something he was really good at in the 3-4), and they are asked to drop back in coverage way too much. I'm almost wondering if it's a bad thing to have linebackers in this defense. lol. It's a crazy thought, but we are getting torched by TEs! Antonio Gates and Julius Thomas in the last 2 weeks have caused MAJOR wreakage. Would inserting Holloman give us a better chance? He's not as far removed from Safety as Bruce Carter is. Lee and Carter trying to cover these athletic TEs w/out Safety help is not doing us any favors.

This Sunday is the first time we're facing a read option QB, so buckle your belts buddy boys. We could be in for a repeat shootout.
So I'm guessing the answer is we don't have 1 aspect of our team we can consider dominate then? Isn't that somewhat disturbing? Garrett's been here long enough for us to be more than mediocre if he's ever going to get us past that stage. I'd rather suck for a couple of years than to just be average year after year after year which is what we've become

Old 10-08-2013, 06:56 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
BTW Mo Claiborne's pick on Peyton is Peyton's only pick this year. :)

It was also made while Mo was in man coverage. Ball skillzzzzz...
Lol D, how many picks is that for him now? 2?

Old 10-08-2013, 06:59 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I love how you never mention that without Romo we lose that game by 35!! Our D gives up 51 points and you want to talk about 1 pick? LOL Such a joke!! Oh and BTW Peyton had a pick as well SMH!!
I am kinda wondering about how the game would've been had we focused on running the ball more, controlling the clock and keeping Peyton off the field.

I loved the fireworks too much though. I don't blame this loss on Tony and I said that right after the game too.

Monte Kiffin's Tampa2 is just too outdated. Teams that run it successfully only use it in subpackages or run it in a hybrid version. As a USC fan, I hated Kiffin. When he came to the Cowboys I tried to give him a chance to make our defense look like Seattle's and I even bought the excuse that "he's an NFL coach" not a "college coach" baloney. I tried to believe in his legendary accolades, while remaining hesitant... but because I love my Cowboys, I still WANT to have hope for Kiffin, so I'll give him another chance and chalk this one up to the great Peyton Manning. Let's hope RG3 faces trouble against us. *trying hard not to laugh*
Old 10-08-2013, 07:05 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
So I'm guessing the answer is we don't have 1 aspect of our team we can consider dominate then? Isn't that somewhat disturbing? Garrett's been here long enough for us to be more than mediocre if he's ever going to get us past that stage. I'd rather suck for a couple of years than to just be average year after year after year which is what we've become
Being dominant in any one unit doesn't concern me all that much. I care more about how solid we are throughout and minimizing clear weaknesses. I care about playing smart. I care about execution. I care about the design of our schemes playing to the strengths of our players and masking their weaknesses.

If you really need an answer, I think our receiving corps is dominant. WRs, TEs, RBs... can all catch and attack in dominant fashion.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:07 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Lol D, how many picks is that for him now? 2?
Hey, he's showing legit capability when used right!
Old 10-08-2013, 07:15 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Being dominant in any one unit doesn't concern me all that much. I care more about how solid we are throughout and minimizing clear weaknesses. I care about playing smart. I care about execution. I care about the design of our schemes playing to the strengths of our players and masking their weaknesses.

If you really need an answer, I think our receiving corps is dominant. WRs, TEs, RBs... can all catch and attack in dominant fashion.
So where are we in your opinion in the things that matter to you? It's funny that our WRs RBs TEs can be dominate but we only scored 14 on a bad SD D and 16 on KC, held on for dear life against the 0-5 Giants despite getting 6 turnovers. It just always seems something with this team.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:38 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
So where are we in your opinion in the things that matter to you? It's funny that our WRs RBs TEs can be dominate but we only scored 14 on a bad SD D and 16 on KC, held on for dear life against the 0-5 Giants despite getting 6 turnovers. It just always seems something with this team.
We've been over this. The dink and dunk gameplan in the early games were set up for failure. We had Ferrari's but weren't using them.

I hope we've come to the point now where we're not afraid of going vertical anymore but seeing is believing.

I think our defensive scheme has been exposed and that we are forcing our players to scheme instead of scheming to the strength of our players. While we have been getting TO's it seems to be at the cost of giving up chunks of yardage. I want BOTH! Creating turnovers is more a mentality thing than a scheme thing. So I want the mentality to create TO's to remain high while being in a scheme that alllows our players to play their best and not give up so much yardage.

The old Tampa2 scheme DID allow defenses to create TOs. It was a scheme designed for getting takeaways. But that is diminished now. The old coaches still want the takeaways, but their scheme has been handicapped. The Tampa2 in it's pure design was VIOLENT. Allowing WRs to catch balls by finding soft spots in zone coverage was ok because it was going to be the defenses responsibility to hit them like a Mack truck and jar the ball loose thereby creating the turnover. Gang busting, swarming to the ball and enforcing punishment on anyone with the ball was a means for getting the ball back by the defense. Simplying assignments in order to move more quickly and speed to attack and drill opponents upon arrival was all part of the scheme to create turnovers.

That's all gone now with these safety rules. You can't hit like you used to. The way John Lynch played Safety would make him the most penalized player to play the game. Now when a receiver finds a spot open in zone coverage he gets gently tackled. What was once an ok thing to give up defensively, is now a complete liability in scheme design.

We have to play more man. We spent big resources to be able to have elite athletes at those positions so we can play man, get more aggressive in blitz attacks, etc, so let's do it instead of making them learn zone. Tampa2 CBs are rarely selected in Round 1. You don't need the elite physical attributes as much as you need smarts. You can use your resources on the front 7 and get away with cheaper investments in the secondary. Just another case of us going backwards.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:33 PM    (permalink
BobTheCowboysTroll
Rookie

BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll

Quote:
Here's my food for thought...

With Julio Jones out possibly for the season, NOW is the time I approach the Falcons and see if they want to swing a deal for Miles Austin. Who's with me?
And the rest of the high priced players.
BobTheCowboysTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:35 PM    (permalink
BobTheCowboysTroll
Rookie

BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll BobTheCowboysTroll

Quote:
We've been over this. The dink and dunk gameplan in the early games were set up for failure. We had Ferrari's but weren't using them.

I hope we've come to the point now where we're not afraid of going vertical anymore but seeing is believing.

I think our defensive scheme has been exposed and that we are forcing our players to scheme instead of scheming to the strength of our players. While we have been getting TO's it seems to be at the cost of giving up chunks of yardage. I want BOTH! Creating turnovers is more a mentality thing than a scheme thing. So I want the mentality to create TO's to remain high while being in a scheme that alllows our players to play their best and not give up so much yardage.

The old Tampa2 scheme DID allow defenses to create TOs. It was a scheme designed for getting takeaways. But that is diminished now. The old coaches still want the takeaways, but their scheme has been handicapped. The Tampa2 in it's pure design was VIOLENT. Allowing WRs to catch balls by finding soft spots in zone coverage was ok because it was going to be the defenses responsibility to hit them like a Mack truck and jar the ball loose thereby creating the turnover. Gang busting, swarming to the ball and enforcing punishment on anyone with the ball was a means for getting the ball back by the defense. Simplying assignments in order to move more quickly and speed to attack and drill opponents upon arrival was all part of the scheme to create turnovers.

That's all gone now with these safety rules. You can't hit like you used to. The way John Lynch played Safety would make him the most penalized player to play the game. Now when a receiver finds a spot open in zone coverage he gets gently tackled. What was once an ok thing to give up defensively, is now a complete liability in scheme design.

We have to play more man. We spent big resources to be able to have elite athletes at those positions so we can play man, get more aggressive in blitz attacks, etc, so let's do it instead of making them learn zone. Tampa2 CBs are rarely selected in Round 1. You don't need the elite physical attributes as much as you need smarts. You can use your resources on the front 7 and get away with cheaper investments in the secondary. Just another case of us going backwards.
Agreed. So Jerrah was an idiot to hire Kiffin. Thank you.
BobTheCowboysTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:47 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheCowboysTroll View Post
JJ's been an idiot every since he let Jimmy walk and our record over the last 18 years reflect it. Sadly...

Old 10-08-2013, 08:50 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Travis Frederick's +7.3 PFF Run Block Grade is far and away the best among all Centers. Unfortunately, his Pass Block Grade ranks 31st.
Not exactly great news with how little we run it and how much we throw.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:54 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheCowboysTroll View Post
I don't choose sides when it comes to Jerry. When he does good, I praise. When he does bad, I criticize. In this case, what I feared from the start appears to be coming true, but the season is still left to be played and maybe some adjustments are made. We shall see. I won't totally go off on Kiffin just yet. I'll wait for the offseason (I think).

I love Rob Ryan and think he got a raw deal. Never wanted him to leave. Never believed Kiffin and that the move back to the 4-3 was going to be good for us. Felt like he proved me wrong early in the season, so I won't be too quick to bash since he still has a chance to right the ship... though that would come in the form of a scheme adjustment. Rob had to adjust his scheme constantly, so I expect nothing less of Monte.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:57 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Not exactly great news with how little we run it and how much we throw.
That is pretty interesting. I appreciate the share.

Sure does pass the eyeball test as far as Romo having more time to throw this season.

How does Floyd rate among DTs?