Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-16-2007, 09:41 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4_5_275_LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCowboysFan
So D-Unit are you a Parcells fan?

Also I told you about 5 pages back that either Landry or Nelson would be available at the Cowboys pick and then look Nelson is there in Scott's mock, but even if he is available I don't know if I want a FS...why doesn't Watkins work? I like his potential. The only reason I would really want a safety is if Roy doesn't play S next year.

Also do you see TO returning? I hope not, but I am scared he will be back.
Is that a rumor or something? He is going to the Pro Bowl.
No he isn't going anywhere, it's just a long and drawn out discussion(argument and name calling) we've been having for about 20 pages.

Edit:
Welcome and enjoy your stay. May I ask what is the significance of your user name?
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:42 PM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Jdallas hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Quote:

Also I told you about 5 pages back that either Landry or Nelson would be available at the Cowboys pick and then look Nelson is there in Scott's mock, but even if he is available I don't know if I want a FS...why doesn't Watkins work? I like his potential. The only reason I would really want a safety is if Roy doesn't play S next year.

Larry Allen went to a Pro Bowl last year...
I would suggest reading back at least a couple pages before asking questions.

Desings by D-Unit
Jdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:43 PM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

CTCowboysFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Quote:

Well it's not that Roy isn't a playmaker, he is. It's just that he has blown coverage time and time again, and I argue that we should move back to the 4-3 and move him to linebacker. Though it probably won't happen that's just what I think.

I also don't know if Roy really earned a pro bowl spot this year. It's just kind of based off of his reputation.
CTCowboysFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:45 PM    (permalink
4_5_275_LB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Quote:
Quote:

No he isn't going anywhere, it's just a long and drawn out discussion(argument and name calling) we've been having for about 20 pages.

Edit:
Welcome and enjoy your stay. May I ask what is the significance of your user name?
I played and coached a long time ago. I was about .5 slower and 50 lbs lighter. <Laugh>
Old 01-16-2007, 09:48 PM    (permalink
4_5_275_LB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdallas
Quote:
Quote:

Just did. Some folks want him cut, some want him at 4-3LB, some want him traded and everyone want him to lose weight. Sounds like what my wife thinks of me.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:52 PM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

CTCowboysFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdallas
Quote:
Quote:

Just did. Some folks want him cut, some want him at 4-3LB, some want him traded and everyone want him to lose weight. Sounds like what my wife thinks of me.
One other word of advice don't worry what JDallas and D-Unit say sometimes, and even Thule for that matter. Occasionally they have to go on a power trip
CTCowboysFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:57 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Quote:
Quote:

Edit:
I played and coached a long time ago. I was about .5 slower and 50 lbs lighter. <Laugh>
Welcome. May I ask where you played/coached?
Old 01-16-2007, 10:23 PM    (permalink
bigmac076
Veteran

bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My Cowboys Offseason Wish List

Re-sign: WR Patrick Crayton, TE Brett Pierce, OC Andre Gurode, OC Al Johnson, DE Kenyon Coleman, CB Jacques Reeves, CB Nathan Jones, OLB Junior Glymph, P Mat McBriar

Lost through FA: OLB Al Singleton, SS Tony Parrish, K Martin Gramatica

Signed through FA: QB Tim Rattay, DT Terdell Sands

Cut/Trade: TE Ryan Hannham, WR Terrell Owens, QB Drew Bledsoe, DT Thomas Johnson

Draft:
RD1: Dwayne Bowe, WR, LSU (trade down)
RD2: Josh Beekman, OG, Boston College
RD3: Daymeion Hughes, CB, California
RD4: Steve Breaston, WR/KR, Michigan
RD4: Mason Crosby, K, Colorado (from trade)
RD5: Willis Barringer, S, Michigan
RD6: Nathan Bennett, OG, Clemson
RD7: (traded)
Old 01-16-2007, 11:01 PM    (permalink
chrlopez1
Veteran

chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Draft day

I think in the next few months and as soon as we know if BP is coming back we will now for sure who we will draft. IF BP comes back he is going to want someone who will make an impact. I do believe Moss will be there and I have a feeling Nelson will be there. He only had one year and I think teams will not take him. What about Griffin..from TExas he will definately be there. Jarrett will be there, but if we allow To and Glenn to leave or don't pay the bonus than we might go for a WR.....I think it is going to be DL, OL or S.

OL......if BP feels he needs to pencil in a starter......
DL ...if Ellis can't come back......
S.....if Nelson is there.....or Griffith.

I think when it comes down to 22 we will have our choise of a couple of players. Some of us will be happy and some of us won't. I think by March....we will have an idea...of who we are going for....
chrlopez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:10 PM    (permalink
ncbigbody
Veteran

ncbigbody hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac076
My Cowboys Offseason Wish List

Re-sign: WR Patrick Crayton, TE Brett Pierce, OC Andre Gurode, OC Al Johnson, DE Kenyon Coleman, CB Jacques Reeves, CB Nathan Jones, OLB Junior Glymph, P Mat McBriar

Lost through FA: OLB Al Singleton, SS Tony Parrish, K Martin Gramatica

Signed through FA: QB Tim Rattay, DT Terdell Sands

Cut/Trade: TE Ryan Hannham, WR Terrell Owens, QB Drew Bledsoe, DT Thomas Johnson

Draft:
RD1: Dwayne Bowe, WR, LSU (trade down)
RD2: Josh Beekman, OG, Boston College
RD3: Daymeion Hughes, CB, California
RD4: Steve Breaston, WR/KR, Michigan
RD4: Mason Crosby, K, Colorado (from trade)
RD5: Willis Barringer, S, Michigan
RD6: Nathan Bennett, OG, Clemson
RD7: (traded)
I dont think Beekman will fall that far in the 2nd.

Sig thanks to DieHardVikingsFan
ncbigbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:13 PM    (permalink
Pokeys
Veteran

Pokeys hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Pokeys hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Not bad bigmac however im not a huge fan of the Bowe or Breaston picks. Especially the breaston pick. Crosby would be nice at that spot.

Texas Longhorns: CB Marcus Davis, QB Garrett Gilbert, OT Mason Walters, RB Chris Whaley! The next great batch.
Pokeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:22 PM    (permalink
Number-94

This could change some things up...

Quote:
Anthony Henry is open to moving to free safety next season if the Cowboys prefer him there.
Henry would be one of the highest paid free safeties in the league, and his agent would prefer he stay at cornerback. Henry played safety some in college.
Source: Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Least if we do decide to move him there will not be any drama.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:33 PM    (permalink
chrlopez1
Veteran

chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Draft

1st Round: DE/OLB Jarvis Moss, Florida
2nd Round: OG Ben Grubbs, Auburn
3rd Round: WR Paul Williams, Fresno St.
4th Round: QB Kevin Kolb, Houston

I like the first two picks....but why WR.....at this point if you are not putting a premium into getting a WR in 1 or 2 you are basically getting a backup for the first 2-3 years.

QB.....wasted pick..for BP....he is not going to develope anther QB.

How about this one.

1st Round Moss or Nielson
2nd Round Grubbs or Merriweather
3rd Round Manuel Ramirez
4th Round Steve Smith DAllas Baker
Old 01-16-2007, 11:35 PM    (permalink
chrlopez1
Veteran

Default Henry Safety

Than a CB would have to be drafted....bcasue picking one in round 1 would have to be a "must". Trading Keith Davies would be a must also...no point in paying a special team player that much......maybe NO would want him again...
Old 01-16-2007, 11:39 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Re: Henry Safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrlopez1
Than a CB would have to be drafted....bcasue picking one in round 1 would have to be a "must". Trading Keith Davies would be a must also...no point in paying a special team player that much......maybe NO would want him again...
We'll probably get some hotwings and grape soda for Keith Davis.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:49 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number-94

Quote:
Anthony Henry is open to moving to free safety next season if the Cowboys prefer him there.
Henry would be one of the highest paid free safeties in the league, and his agent would prefer he stay at cornerback. Henry played safety some in college.
All this talk about moving Henry to FS is interesting. The more I hear about it, the more realistic I believe the chances become.

One thing is for sure, CB is definately a position worth spending a First round pick on.

This also makes sense because there should be some good CBs on the board when we make our selection. I hope to God that we don't take McCauley.... Please Lord, No! I'll take Huges, Revis, and even Aaron Ross before McCauley. Anybody but him!
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 12:18 AM    (permalink
4_5_275_LB

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number-94

Quote:
All this talk about moving Henry to FS is interesting. The more I hear about it, the more realistic I believe the chances become.

One thing is for sure, CB is definately a position worth spending a First round pick on.

This also makes sense because there should be some good CBs on the board when we make our selection. I hope to God that we don't take McCauley.... Please Lord, No! I'll take Huges, Revis, and even Aaron Ross before McCauley. Anybody but him!
There is lots of grasping at straws in Dallas trying to figure out the pass defense problems. Everyone except Newman has been moved around or redeployed in various schemes. Be interesting to see where it ends up.

I am sure once Parcells says he comes back and the Zimmer Replacement is made this issue will play itself out quickly. This maybe a reason Parcells is seemingly pushing for Bowles to replace Zimmer. They get along well, Parcells can influence him moreso, and the Defensive players like him.

Watkins is a good kid though. He seems a Parcells type player. He cares and works very hard. He can make it I hope.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:20 AM    (permalink
Pokeys
Veteran

Pokeys hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Pokeys hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Kevin Kolb wouldnt be a wasted pick in my opinion. Tell me how many of you guys are 100% confident with Romo? Dont get me wrong I like Romo alot but I still have some doubts about him, I think his deep ball is questionable. Fumbling issues? Kevin Kolb would make a great backup for the time being and could step in and possibly have a positive impact if Romo struggles.

Texas Longhorns: CB Marcus Davis, QB Garrett Gilbert, OT Mason Walters, RB Chris Whaley! The next great batch.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:03 AM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Jdallas hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeys
Kevin Kolb wouldnt be a wasted pick in my opinion. Tell me how many of you guys are 100% confident with Romo? Dont get me wrong I like Romo alot but I still have some doubts about him, I think his deep ball is questionable. Fumbling issues? Kevin Kolb would make a great backup for the time being and could step in and possibly have a positive impact if Romo struggles.
How can a rookie with no NFL experience be a great backup?

Desings by D-Unit
Jdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:08 AM    (permalink
Pokeys
Veteran

Misworded that lol. I meant great backup for the future if he never becomes the true number #1 QB.

Old 01-17-2007, 02:13 AM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://theboysblog.com/2007/01/16/wh...worth-part-ii/

Another good reading.. These are exactly my thoughts: we need a good FS (and I'm not confidente in Watkins, i've already explained why) and we need a good rush from the line. Our LBs are fine..

On offense we just need to resign Gurode, pick a guard and maybe a T. D, why are you so high on Dockery? I've heard from Redskins' fans that he's the worst starter on their line.. I'd like to pick Steinbach or Dielman. We can adress OG in the FA, and maybe spend a later pick in the draft if a good guy fall to the third/fourth round..

About the draft we should go BPA in the first round. I think we must pick FS, OL, CB/WR and maybe some help for the d-line. In round one we'll be able to pick a premiere FS, Griffin or Nelson would be avaible for sure and for me that's the perfect pick. We need another Woody badly. But I will be happy with someone like Blalock, Brown or a top WR if he fall..
In the second we should grab an OL or once again a WR if someone fall. I'm confident in our young DEs, I think that with good coaching they can play really better, but if we draft someone like Alama-Francis in the second I won't be upset..
In the third we should go for CB, leaving the second day only to pick the BPA in every round..

Right now this are my rankings for the Cowboys draft (assuming that Landry would be out of reach):

1. Reggie Nelson
2. Michael Griffin
3. Justin Blalock
4. Levi Brown
5. Sidney Rice
6. Dwayne Bowe
7. Daymon Hughes
8. Manuel Ramirez
9. Josh Beekman
10. Craig Davis
11. Alama-Francis

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 02:37 AM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

an option that i dont think any of us have thought about yet is moving ellis back to DE. If carpenter plays like he did in the play off game ellis could be part of our D line rotation and add's great versatility in the sense that he can drop back into coverage as a DE when needed. I think we need to try and get reggie nelson in the first, and if not we need a speed rush guy. We need more defense and more pressure, that was what our team really lacked this past year. We should just put ellis back on the line and we would really have an awsome core of LB's, OLB tweeners, and a solid D-line rotation.

another option i would be happy with is drafting a cb in the first if Henry is moved to FS and we put ellis back in the d line rotation
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:21 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Whew so many topics of discussion. I'm often busy on weekends...so thats why I haven't been around.

Anyways...

The Roy discussion went on a lot...kinda glad I missed it.
I really loved LSU's breakdown. If it costs 5.5 mill to keep him or 5.5 mill to get rid of him...what do you gain from his cut? Nothing...plain and simple.

I'm gonna do a quick breakdown of our defense.
total defense
  • 13th ypg 322.8
    27th 3rd% 43.9%
Passing Defense
  • 15th att 511
    23rd ypg 219.1
    29th td 25
    21st sack 34
Rushing Defense
  • 10th yds/g 103.7
    9th att 429
    7th avg 3.9
    11th td 12
    8th fd 88
    3rd 20+ 5
Recieving Defense
  • 24th yds/g 233.1
    31st avg 12.4
    28th td 25
    21st fd 179
    17th 20+ 43
    29th 40+ 14

Dallas was 15th in the league on turnover diff.. with +1

We seem to have a couple of places to work on.
  • 3rd down defense
    passing average
    passing td
    pressure
    passing fd
    big passing plays

Here are just my ideas on the problems.
3rd down defense
I don't have an exact breakdown on passing to rushing % but I can use FD's to get an idea...we are 8th in rushing FD and 21st in passing FD. That leads me to believe its easy to pick up a FD while passing. How do we fix it...well maybe Newman in the slot isn't such a great idea...I will use this example.
In the detriot game you would commonly see Roy Williams in motion working to get off henry or newman and get Glenn in coverage...if at all possible on Roy's side. This isn't hard since we play straight up defense every play. You can't ever expect Glenn to match up one on one with Roy...thus he was abused.
Now if Newman was assigned to shut down their best WR...such as he is asked to do when playing a guy like steve smith then this becomes less of a problem...and teams will stop trying to exploit this.

Passing Average
Well this has to be inflated inpart due to our 40+ numbers we have. But again this has to do with our over the top coverage. What do we do about it....well my idea is let Newman play on an island with occasional over-the-top help and sit out FS over the top of Henry. When in nickel...allow whoever the weak/more difficult task help with the SS. The LB's become responsible for the TE/RB/WR and whatever the biggest task let the SS help down.

Which is where playing a Rover in the nickle would help so much...not only is he not 12 yards off the ball he is more in the 8-10 yard range...but he can used to A) blitz and get there faster or b) allow the LB to fake blitz and jam the TE early off the line knowing his over-the-top help is only 6 yards behind him. If we do blitz the LB...he is close enough to the line to either jump the quick route...but force the QB to wait...thus getting to the QB.

This is the perfect place for Roy...it gives him the choice to blitz or play double on a tough assignment for the LB. It allows him to be removed from his deep cover 2 responsibilities...and lets him be more active.

This puts tremendous pressure on Newman...because if he is beat he has little to no help...depend on how far away our FS is...but bottomline is...he is a top 3 CB in the league...he can match up on w/e reciever he wants. Worse comes to worse...he mans up on the number 2 WR in nickle sets..which allows Henry to man up on the #1 with over the top help.

Passing TD's
Well this has alot to do with Roy again. With the TE's in our division I want Watkins on the TE inside the redzone...sure he can get abused..but if he gets stiffarmed its almost a TD anyways. He can match up one on one against any TD and have the jump ball advantage. Both Henry and Newman are good redzone corners...Glenn has no business being matched up against a tall WR...if this ever happens its the scheme fault for allowing the TD...glenn is a good corner but just doesn't have the size to man up against the big guys.

Pressure
This is another part of it...we are 21st in sacks. Sure alot of this can come down to Ellis being out...to Hatcher being raw...but between the two and Ware we don't have alot. This is another reason why having Roy as the Rover would help our defense. His ability to get to the QB is just as good as any of those guys...I really think that Hatcher is our most well-rounded pressure player which is crazy to think of. Personally I don't care how soft our 3rd and long DL is...I want pressure pressure pressure. If that means having Ware/Ratliff/Hatcher/Ellis so be it. I loved how Hatcher performed on the outside this year...but he isn't better then Ellis and Ware yet. Ellis is in his last year here so Hatcher will get his time.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:42 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Carpenters Development
This has also been a debate going on here. I'm sure we all remember our needs in the past offseason...and I think most would have SOLB as one of the top 2. So the Carpenter pick made so much sense to us.

No TC starts and what happens...Bill pulls out a great moves and successfully converts Ellis into a backer. Who would have ever thought it would happen. So now we have a decision...what to do with Carp. Well Carp at this point was thriving in the nickle...and was 1st line with Burnett at one point. Then came his move to the inside....he was not going to be playing SOLB at his size this year...but his coverage abililties and his sideline to sideline speed really fit at WILB. So he made the switch after showing great ability. He started third string and quickly advanced to second string. But this switch caused bill to lower him in the nickle defense...for being scared of overloading the poor kid.

So now we have a player that is 3rd string SOLB 2nd string ILB in the nickle and base D. Not only this...we are also giving him some time at RDE in the nickle. So needless to say you can't see many rookies able to conprehend all of that.

Then preseason starts...Carp really shows nothing...the occasional tackle but no glimpse of what he really has...seems lost out there sometimes and seems to be just a couple seconds to late on his reads.

Well as the year goes along his playing time is minimal. Obviously working at that playbook learning the ins and outs of WILB. Well then the worse thing that could ever happen is Ellis goes down...we are left with Singleton at SOLB...who has terrible pass coverage abilities as well as rush abilities. Now wat? Well we have no other choice but to bring Carp over...bill didn't even want to do this...he actually had Glypmh at #2 on the depth chart at this point at SOLB.

Well after a couple weeks we really that this no passrush is really affecting out team and decide we are left with no other option but to force SOLB on carp again. Now he has been working on this a little bit through the season i'm sure...but I have a feeling if we divided up his work out it would be something like 50% WILB 35% Nickle 15% SOLB...now obviously these aren't exact numbers...but based off TC and preseason I think its safe to say ILB was his #1 priority to learn nickle #2 and SOLB #3. It's almost like how you break up the snaps with your 3 qbs for example.

Well anyways with the switch...he drops everything else and goes 100% into SOLB...if we notice...even when he first started playing he was getting very little playing time...and when he was he seemed to show good passrushing moves(which were natural had them all at osu) and good technique disengaging blocks(also natural) but we saw him doing everything just a half a second late. How many times did he engage a blocker on the outside and disengage to be just a half second too late to make the stop at the LOS. I bet its in the double digits in his few series he got to play.

Anyways...each week he progressed..and come the playoffs we got just a small glimpse of what he will become. He played lights out when in the game. But now we are in the same position....what exactly do we do...Ellis is coming back..and if he does recover 100% to what he was last year he will likely be the starter.

Well here is my solution to the whole offseason matter.

First off scratch WILB from his playbook at this point. My reasoning is...that when he was studying it he was tryign to find a spot to contribute for 2 years...now he only is a at most year away from being the starter at SOLB (ellis is on his last year now).

Next up...do everything we can to make him our starter opposite Burnett. or starter if we implement my rover idea. This will give him close to 40-50% of the snaps on defense. Now I don't have the exact numbers from this year...but in 2005 our first year in the 3-4 we ran a nickle defense about 50% of the time. Using that idea he would see about that many snaps on defense. Not only this...but depending on how Ellis is playing...he could see a fair share of snaps at SOLB as well depending on matchups and giving breathers.

One thing to remember about the end of the year is that Parcells was worried about the number of snaps alot of his LBers were given. Well I don't think Akin was one of the being he didn't play the nickle...and I'm sure Ware was...but he is too much of a playemaker to be sat. Which leaves Brady and SOLB...well if Brady is no longer playing in the nickle he won't be getting as much work...and if Ellis and Carp can work SOLB on like a 75-25% ratio they should have about the right number of snaps aswell. It could even get closer as the year goes on and the older player needs more rest...to 50:50 since both would be starting in the nickle.

These are my ideas on Carpenter...and I see no reason why this would not work.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 01-17-2007, 05:11 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

After getting all that off of my chest I would like to switch over to the offensive side of the ball.

Total Offense
  • 5th ypg 260.8
    2nd 3rd% 48.8
    30th Pen 100
    10th TOP 31:02

Passing Offense
  • 20th att/g 31.6
    14th pct 61.3
    5th yrd/g 239.8
    5th td 26
    25th int 21
    29th sack 37

Rushing Offense
  • 12th att/g 29.5
    13th yds/g 121.0
    14th avg 4.1
    3rd td 21
    9th fd 109
    14th 20+ 10

Recieving Offense
  • 6th yds/g 254.2
    2nd avg 13.1
    5th td 25
    7th fd 197
    5th 20+ 56
    4th 40+ 12

I think its fairly easy to see we have a good offense. If there is anything to complain about its the INTs and Sacks and Penalties. I think alot of this has to do with pass protection. Most int's this year came from the qb falling back or not able to step in. Sacks were either jail break or qb holding on to the ball to long. Penalties just showed our lack of disipline.

The great thing about this is that its all teachable. The main thing as I've said before here...is bringing in a young savy guy in his prime 26-29 with experience and leadership...to help our offensive line point out blocking assignments and what not. OG will be addressed some day on draft day...but we wont' be drafting on to start imo. My favorite thought is to get a mauler to pair next to flozell and move Koiser over to the right side. This makes the most sense...allow Koiser to pull and Columbo to block down...and have a dominate side to run behind to improve our FD and TDs. If we do bring in a FA OG...say goodbye to Rivera.

Not much more to be said on offense.

Designs by me
Quote: