Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-17-2007, 04:17 PM    (permalink
4_5_275_LB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
heres another article, this one by jean-jacques taylor on parcells.

No doubt exists in my mind that Bill Parcells will return to the Cowboys for a fifth season.

But for him to maximize the talent on this roster, he must change his approach. That won't be easy for a 65-year-old coach, but it's a necessity for Dallas to end its 10-year streak without a playoff victory.

Parcells believes that scheme, not players, wins games. That's why the Cowboys don't always seem to attack defensive weaknesses.

Look at the Seattle game. The Cowboys didn't attack their weak set of cornerbacks because Parcells wasn't sure Dallas could protect Romo, and he didn't want the game in Romo's hands.

That was a mistake.

The Bears couldn't possibly have a ton of confidence in inconsistent quarterback Rex Grossman, but they knew the best way to beat Seattle was to attack their secondary. Grossman threw for nearly 300 yards and the Bears won.

You can easily argue Dallas lost on a fluky play, but maybe they wouldn't have been in that position if they had attacked Seattle's secondary. Especially considering the passing game was the Cowboys' strength all season.

The Cowboys played the most simplistic, unimaginative 3-4 defense in the league. Parcells allowed that to happen because he thinks the scheme is good enough to win. The Cowboys, though, have players that are at their best when using speed and quickness. They need to be placed in position to succeed. Too many times, Parcells didn't allow that to happen.

what do you guys think? will parcells change or do we need a change?
The article seems to contradict itself but maybe someone can help me read it better.

The boring base schemes Parcells prefers relies on players executing. Parcells does not scheme around weaknesses to the degree other coaches do, offensively or defensively.

This explains why Parcells teams in the 1980s had as much success versus the Redkins teams of 1980s. Those Redskins teams shifted and moved and did all crazy stuff for their day. Parcells just said, stand still and beat the guy in front of you.

To say Parcells prefers to win with schemes than players seems odd. I think I have an idea what JJT is trying to say but the article does not get at it in my opinion.

I think JJT is trying to say Parcells does not like to use complicated schemes to get more from his player's strengths. Not a writer but that article was plainly confusing. Again, my opinion.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:25 PM    (permalink
4_5_275_LB

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule
You posted snips from that article and you missed the best one. This ones for you cowboysforever

Quote:
Q: I keep hearing that it will be hard to unload Roy Williams' contract, but I find that hard to believe. Isn't there any team out there with a contract they want to unload?

Jason R. Stubbs, Richmond, Calif.

TAYLOR: It sounds like you're talking about a baseball or basketball trade. Football trades work a lot differently. If the Cowboys were to trade Williams, he would still count nearly $10 million against the Cowboys' salary cap because of the contract extension he signed this summer. No team can really afford to have a hit like that against the cap and still do all of the other things they want to do in the off-season. You're going to have to get used to Williams because he isn't going anywhere.
I re-read too many posts last night in between doing accouting work but I think their is a disagreement over the contract terms which are not provable without the actual contract.

One guy is saying $11M guaranteed. The other is saying these terms are not accurate -- yes, reported as such in the media -- but not accurate.

I have no clue or care about contracts . Roy can play better and it sure beats getting more from Roy than fishing for the devil you don't know.

His weight does seem to be an issue (Heaviest SS in NFL?) and someone did mention that while he is reacting well to the ball he lacks speed to get there. I have no clue who wrote that.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:27 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
so does anybody here care to look back at last years draft and reveiw what coulda been? some people were defending the fasano pick as well as the entire draft. in fact someone who shall remain nameless gave us an A++++++ i said at the time it was average at best and the eagles were killing us. the reason i bring this up is because i was screaming for o-line help and marcus mcneil was there for the taking in the 2nd round. the fact that he just got added to the pro bowl roster makes this even more painful. i was o.k. with the B.C. pick although i was hoping for manny lawson. after that its very open for debate.
(Insert hindsight is 20/20 argument here.)

But I understand what your saying, the first 3 picks had me scratching my head, since I saw our weaknesses going into the draft last was O-line and S, and a future QB. We answered 1 1/2 of those problems. But I did feel disappointed on day 1 of the draft. But it's still up to debate since most of our rookies were getting there feet for most of the year. But I do think Hatcher showed us the most, and I absolutely love him. Carp played well in the end, but theres no way to give them a fair grade until next January. This isn't instant impact draft class like the 05 class. But give them time.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:31 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

this from profootball weekly, which im sure is not surprising to anyone but...

• Cowboys OG Marco Rivera's career is in jeopardy following a second major back surgery in 22 months. He struggled for most of the season, but the team stuck with him over Cory Proctor, whom Bill Parcells has shown an affinity for but has never called on to play.

• One Cowboys source indicates that the team has been down on DE Marcus Spears for his lack of production and development. It would not be a shock to some to see Jason Hatcher take some of Spears' reps next season; the team reportedly has bigger plans for Hatcher, who could boost the pass rush
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:39 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
• Cowboys OG Marco Rivera's career is in jeopardy following a second major back surgery in 22 months. He struggled for most of the season, but the team stuck with him over Cory Proctor, whom Bill Parcells has shown an affinity for but has never called on to play.
He's been terrible for us, but I feel bad for the guy. He had a great career with Packs, classy dude and wish him the best if does hang it up.

As for Procotor, it's pretty much up in the air. I take Parcells "affinity" for him with a grain of salt, seeing he felt the same for Sean Ryan and other guys. But If he the guy, it'd be one less thing to worry about.

Quote:
• One Cowboys source indicates that the team has been down on DE Marcus Spears for his lack of production and development. It would not be a shock to some to see Jason Hatcher take some of Spears' reps next season; the team reportedly has bigger plans for Hatcher, who could boost the pass rush
Can't say I am not a little disappointed with Spears, but I'm glad Hatcher will get a chance to really show what he can do as a starter. Him and Coleman were the only guys on the line that got a pass rush.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:44 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Quote:
so does anybody here care to look back at last years draft and reveiw what coulda been? some people were defending the fasano pick as well as the entire draft. in fact someone who shall remain nameless gave us an A++++++ i said at the time it was average at best and the eagles were killing us. the reason i bring this up is because i was screaming for o-line help and marcus mcneil was there for the taking in the 2nd round. the fact that he just got added to the pro bowl roster makes this even more painful. i was o.k. with the B.C. pick although i was hoping for manny lawson. after that its very open for debate.

But I understand what your saying, the first 3 picks had me scratching my head, since I saw our weaknesses going into the draft last was O-line and S, and a future QB. We answered 1 1/2 of those problems. But I did feel disappointed on day 1 of the draft. But it's still up to debate since most of our rookies were getting there feet for most of the year. But I do think Hatcher showed us the most, and I absolutely love him. Carp played well in the end, but theres no way to give them a fair grade until next January. This isn't instant impact draft class like the 05 class. But give them time.
yeah its hindsight now but i was on here on draft day last year and when our picks were coning up there was talk of mcneil, max gene giles, several others but nobody said fasano. lol.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:47 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

how funny is this

Redskins sources think Joe Gibbs would like to bring back both SS Adam Archuleta and WR Brandon Lloyd, despite both having miserable seasons for different reasons. The team might be able to adjust its salary-cap situation enough with other cuts and reworked deals to bring both back.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:04 PM    (permalink
4_5_275_LB

Quote:
how funny is this

Redskins sources think Joe Gibbs would like to bring back both SS Adam Archuleta and WR Brandon Lloyd, despite both having miserable seasons for different reasons. The team might be able to adjust its salary-cap situation enough with other cuts and reworked deals to bring both back.
What is funnier is the Archuleta contract was the deal that really forced Jerry Jones to do the Roy Williams deal at that price tag.

Ed Reed's deal was big but Ed Reed was NFL Defensive Player of the Year. Archuleta was reported as bigger.

The Archuleta deal was so out of market it killed the rest of the NFL. He also got 10MM in bonus but it was structured differently it seems. The bonus is spread out with escalations in base to smooth out the cap hit if he was moved somehow.

Daniel Snyder is like Steinbrenner it seems. Be interesting to see what he does this year with more cap space. Link below seems similar to earlier posts.

http://www.hogshaven.com/story/2006/11/16/144245/15
Old 01-17-2007, 05:39 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

yeah its hindsight now but i was on here on draft day last year and when our picks were coning up there was talk of mcneil, max gene giles, several others but nobody said fasano. lol.
Well, keep in mind that there were 31 other teams that let McNeil slide as well. Other teams desperate for help on the line let him go right by them. Hell, the Bucs had (and still have) one of the worst lines in the league, and they had a chance at both him AND Justice, and they went for a guard instead. We could just as easily have gone with Colledge or Whitworth, too. It's not like it was as obvious then as it seems now. I'm sure all of us would just love to do a player for player swap, but that's not the way it works. While we're at it, WHY THE HELL DID WE DRAFT WHITLEY WHEN WE COULD HAVE HAD MARQUES COLSTON?!?! WHY! IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE! COLSTON PLAYED AT A PRO BOWL LEVEL FOR A POSSIBLE SUPER BOWL TEAM, AND WHITLEY DIDN'T EVEN PLAY!!!

I mean, get real here, it's the nature of the draft. I am still very high on Fasano, even though I was not on board with the pick at the time. I think he has the talent, grit, intelligence and determination to be even better than Jason Witten is. Rookie TEs are notorious for struggling, especially in the blocking area. I think he will come along, and we might have the most dangerous set of TEs - by a mile - in a year or two. So I don't regret it.

I think the only true whiff we had was on Skyler Green. He wasn't going to ever contribute as a WR, and his return skills simply weren't that impressive. Meanwhile, we could have had shots at John Scott, or traded up for guys like Jean-Gilles, Gabe Watson (my personal biggest regret), Ko Simpson or Demetrius Williams. There was a ton of left-over talent from day one, and we missed out on most of it by getting Green where we did. I just don't know what we saw that we loved so much.

I still really like our draft. Carpenter has a chance to be special fairly soon. Fasano I already talke about. Hatcher may end up going down as one of the top two or three sleeper picks in the entire draft for any team. I think he has a chance to be a top 15 player out of that pool of players. Add to that Pat Watkins - who is as talented as all but maybe 2 or 3 FS in this league, and Pat McQuistan - who Parcells seems to think is the future at LT and you have quite a nice little haul. Not only that, but then you have Hurd, Miles and Hoyte, all of which were huge contributors on special teams this year, and all of which have a chance to develop into solid players, and I think we have a sneaky good class. No one would think of us as having done well, but we could easily look back in 4 years and be at the top of the heap for 2006.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 06:18 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

yes i understand its the nature of the draft and you could what if forever. at the end of the year i saw alot out of B.C. not much out of fasano and im not sure why everybodys so high on hatcher. he had 15 tackles and 2.5 sacks for the year. as for the rest of the guys you mentioned they are all projects. do they have potetial? sure they do. i hope this turns into a graeat haul but i have my doubts. i just thought we should have gone after o-line help but thats just me. seems to me we still have the same problem(s) this year that we did last year. i hope your right and im wrong though.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:24 PM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well, keep in mind that there were 31 other teams that let McNeil slide as well. Other teams desperate for help on the line let him go right by them. Hell, the Bucs had (and still have) one of the worst lines in the league, and they had a chance at both him AND Justice, and they went for a guard instead. We could just as easily have gone with Colledge or Whitworth, too. It's not like it was as obvious then as it seems now. I'm sure all of us would just love to do a player for player swap, but that's not the way it works. While we're at it, WHY THE HELL DID WE DRAFT WHITLEY WHEN WE COULD HAVE HAD MARQUES COLSTON?!?! WHY! IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE! COLSTON PLAYED AT A PRO BOWL LEVEL FOR A POSSIBLE SUPER BOWL TEAM, AND WHITLEY DIDN'T EVEN PLAY!!!

I mean, get real here, it's the nature of the draft. I am still very high on Fasano, even though I was not on board with the pick at the time. I think he has the talent, grit, intelligence and determination to be even better than Jason Witten is. Rookie TEs are notorious for struggling, especially in the blocking area. I think he will come along, and we might have the most dangerous set of TEs - by a mile - in a year or two. So I don't regret it.

I think the only true whiff we had was on Skyler Green. He wasn't going to ever contribute as a WR, and his return skills simply weren't that impressive. Meanwhile, we could have had shots at John Scott, or traded up for guys like Jean-Gilles, Gabe Watson (my personal biggest regret), Ko Simpson or Demetrius Williams. There was a ton of left-over talent from day one, and we missed out on most of it by getting Green where we did. I just don't know what we saw that we loved so much.

I still really like our draft. Carpenter has a chance to be special fairly soon. Fasano I already talke about. Hatcher may end up going down as one of the top two or three sleeper picks in the entire draft for any team. I think he has a chance to be a top 15 player out of that pool of players. Add to that Pat Watkins - who is as talented as all but maybe 2 or 3 FS in this league, and Pat McQuistan - who Parcells seems to think is the future at LT and you have quite a nice little haul. Not only that, but then you have Hurd, Miles and Hoyte, all of which were huge contributors on special teams this year, and all of which have a chance to develop into solid players, and I think we have a sneaky good class. No one would think of us as having done well, but we could easily look back in 4 years and be at the top of the heap for 2006.
Nice post.

I haven't given up on Fasano yet. If he develops next year, I think our draft will look a lot better. I think most of us just expected that it would be a slam dunk for him to switch over from ND's pro-friendly offense to the NFL, and it wasn't. Oddly enough, I liked the Green pick at the time since I thought he would really solve our return needs, but he's ended up being a huge disappointment.
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 06:52 PM    (permalink
4_5_275_LB

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinChase
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Nice post.

I haven't given up on Fasano yet. If he develops next year, I think our draft will look a lot better. I think most of us just expected that it would be a slam dunk for him to switch over from ND's pro-friendly offense to the NFL, and it wasn't. Oddly enough, I liked the Green pick at the time since I thought he would really solve our return needs, but he's ended up being a huge disappointment.
Any thought to the idea the Cowboys reached a few spots for Fasano given the depth at TE last year? Not saying anything bad about him. Just saying he maybe like Whitner last year. Great player but too soon.

Any reaction to this?
Old 01-17-2007, 07:07 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some topics of discussion...
I wanna see some proactive talk rather then shoulda could woulda talk.

Total Offense
  • 5th ypg 260.8
    2nd 3rd% 48.8
    30th Pen 100
    10th TOP 31:02

Passing Offense
  • 20th att/g 31.6
    14th pct 61.3
    5th yrd/g 239.8
    5th td 26
    25th int 21
    29th sack 37

Rushing Offense
  • 12th att/g 29.5
    13th yds/g 121.0
    14th avg 4.1
    3rd td 21
    9th fd 109
    14th 20+ 10

Recieving Offense
  • 6th yds/g 254.2
    2nd avg 13.1
    5th td 25
    7th fd 197
    5th 20+ 56
    4th 40+ 12

I think its fairly easy to see we have a good offense. If there is anything to complain about its the INTs and Sacks and Penalties. I think alot of this has to do with pass protection. Most int's this year came from the qb falling back or not able to step in. Sacks were either jail break or qb holding on to the ball to long. Penalties just showed our lack of disipline.

The great thing about this is that its all teachable. The main thing as I've said before here...is bringing in a young savy guy in his prime 26-29 with experience and leadership...to help our offensive line point out blocking assignments and what not. OG will be addressed some day on draft day...but we wont' be drafting on to start imo. My favorite thought is to get a mauler to pair next to flozell and move Koiser over to the right side. This makes the most sense...allow Koiser to pull and Columbo to block down...and have a dominate side to run behind to improve our FD and TDs. If we do bring in a FA OG...say goodbye to Rivera.

Not much more to be said on offense.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm sure you all remember me ragging on JJ for being soft. How I wanted yac(yards after contact) information. Well I found a little bit of it...but YAC is hard to find for a rushing stat...so if anyone can find some more numbers let me know.
  • Team Name Att. Big Efforts Pct. +10-yard runs YAC Rec/TD
    DAL Jones 234 106 45.3 24 2.00 8/0
    DAL Barber 111 69 62.2 18 2.38 14/2

Quote:
How many yards can a running back pick up after contact? The top-five backs in average yards after contact are all significantly better than the 2-yard after-contact average in the NFL. The top-10 NFL backs with a minimum of 150 carries that make something happen after the first tackler strikes are Gore, Travis Henry, Laurence Maroney, Taylor, Cadillac Williams, LaDainian Tomlinson, Westbrook, Chester Taylor, Kevin Jones and Tiki Barber in that order.

I think its safe to say that if there was a guy who was good with YAC...its AD. I don't think we have a shot...but if for some reason he falls past Houston...who takes him?ATL?Buff?Pitt?GB is the next team that really needs a running back...if AD makes it past Cleveland...who could go a million directions...and get past Houston..who might not value RB in the first round. I mean maybe houston in interested in JJ...idk all i know is that if AD falls out of the top 10 I want him for w/e it takes I mean we could trade up infront of GB with a first and a third...throw in a player if we want I think we could get up to 10. I'm not gonna be as bold as to project a trade...but a team like houston could be interested in JJ...ATL could be interested in ellis...now we have the zimmer connection...maybe guys like Burnett or w/e have value. Buffalo needs help in their front 7...so we have ammo there. Not sure we have anything for pitt..but thats pick #15 and wouldn't take much. I know its a pipe dream...but if he falls past 3 and 8...RB really isn't a need position in this draft.
Quote:
Adrian Peterson was at number three nationally with 1,925 rushing yards. The yards after contact were 1,365, 71% of Adrian Peterson’s net.
I found a good site that really broke down running backs.
Running Back Stats
It uses some weird ways to break down running backs but I found one really interesting.
DVOA - DVOA breaks down every single play of the NFL season to see how much success offensive players achieved in each specific situation compared to the league average in that situation, adjusted for the strength of the opponent.

What does this mean?
On first down, a play is considered a success if it gains 45 percent of needed yards; on second down, a play needs to gain 60 percent of needed yards; on third or fourth down, only gaining a new first down is considered success.

There are other factors in this but you can read if you want all the info.

Using DVOA here is our backs.
M.Barber is #2 overall with a 31.7% DVOA
J. Jones is #28 overall with a -1.9% DVOA

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Carpenters Development
This has also been a debate going on here. I'm sure we all remember our needs in the past offseason...and I think most would have SOLB as one of the top 2. So the Carpenter pick made so much sense to us.

No TC starts and what happens...Bill pulls out a great moves and successfully converts Ellis into a backer. Who would have ever thought it would happen. So now we have a decision...what to do with Carp. Well Carp at this point was thriving in the nickle...and was 1st line with Burnett at one point. Then came his move to the inside....he was not going to be playing SOLB at his size this year...but his coverage abililties and his sideline to sideline speed really fit at WILB. So he made the switch after showing great ability. He started third string and quickly advanced to second string. But this switch caused bill to lower him in the nickle defense...for being scared of overloading the poor kid.

So now we have a player that is 3rd string SOLB 2nd string ILB in the nickle and base D. Not only this...we are also giving him some time at RDE in the nickle. So needless to say you can't see many rookies able to conprehend all of that.

Then preseason starts...Carp really shows nothing...the occasional tackle but no glimpse of what he really has...seems lost out there sometimes and seems to be just a couple seconds to late on his reads.

Well as the year goes along his playing time is minimal. Obviously working at that playbook learning the ins and outs of WILB. Well then the worse thing that could ever happen is Ellis goes down...we are left with Singleton at SOLB...who has terrible pass coverage abilities as well as rush abilities. Now wat? Well we have no other choice but to bring Carp over...bill didn't even want to do this...he actually had Glypmh at #2 on the depth chart at this point at SOLB.

Well after a couple weeks we really that this no passrush is really affecting out team and decide we are left with no other option but to force SOLB on carp again. Now he has been working on this a little bit through the season i'm sure...but I have a feeling if we divided up his work out it would be something like 50% WILB 35% Nickle 15% SOLB...now obviously these aren't exact numbers...but based off TC and preseason I think its safe to say ILB was his #1 priority to learn nickle #2 and SOLB #3. It's almost like how you break up the snaps with your 3 qbs for example.

Well anyways with the switch...he drops everything else and goes 100% into SOLB...if we notice...even when he first started playing he was getting very little playing time...and when he was he seemed to show good passrushing moves(which were natural had them all at osu) and good technique disengaging blocks(also natural) but we saw him doing everything just a half a second late. How many times did he engage a blocker on the outside and disengage to be just a half second too late to make the stop at the LOS. I bet its in the double digits in his few series he got to play.

Anyways...each week he progressed..and come the playoffs we got just a small glimpse of what he will become. He played lights out when in the game. But now we are in the same position....what exactly do we do...Ellis is coming back..and if he does recover 100% to what he was last year he will likely be the starter.

Well here is my solution to the whole offseason matter.

First off scratch WILB from his playbook at this point. My reasoning is...that when he was studying it he was tryign to find a spot to contribute for 2 years...now he only is a at most year away from being the starter at SOLB (ellis is on his last year now).

Next up...do everything we can to make him our starter opposite Burnett. or starter if we implement my rover idea. This will give him close to 40-50% of the snaps on defense. Now I don't have the exact numbers from this year...but in 2005 our first year in the 3-4 we ran a nickle defense about 50% of the time. Using that idea he would see about that many snaps on defense. Not only this...but depending on how Ellis is playing...he could see a fair share of snaps at SOLB as well depending on matchups and giving breathers.

One thing to remember about the end of the year is that Parcells was worried about the number of snaps alot of his LBers were given. Well I don't think Akin was one of the being he didn't play the nickle...and I'm sure Ware was...but he is too much of a playemaker to be sat. Which leaves Brady and SOLB...well if Brady is no longer playing in the nickle he won't be getting as much work...and if Ellis and Carp can work SOLB on like a 75-25% ratio they should have about the right number of snaps aswell. It could even get closer as the year goes on and the older player needs more rest...to 50:50 since both would be starting in the nickle.

These are my ideas on Carpenter...and I see no reason why this would not work.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Roy discussion went on a lot...kinda glad I missed it.
I really loved LSU's breakdown. If it costs 5.5 mill to keep him or 5.5 mill to get rid of him...what do you gain from his cut? Nothing...plain and simple.

I'm gonna do a quick breakdown of our defense.
total defense

13th ypg 322.8
27th 3rd% 43.9%

Passing Defense

15th att 511
23rd ypg 219.1
29th td 25
21st sack 34

Rushing Defense

10th yds/g 103.7
9th att 429
7th avg 3.9
11th td 12
8th fd 88
3rd 20+ 5

Recieving Defense

24th yds/g 233.1
31st avg 12.4
28th td 25
21st fd 179
17th 20+ 43
29th 40+ 14

Dallas was 15th in the league on turnover diff.. with +1

We seem to have a couple of places to work on.

3rd down defense
passing average
passing td
pressure
passing fd
big passing plays

Here are just my ideas on the problems.
3rd down defense
I don't have an exact breakdown on passing to rushing % but I can use FD's to get an idea...we are 8th in rushing FD and 21st in passing FD. That leads me to believe its easy to pick up a FD while passing. How do we fix it...well maybe Newman in the slot isn't such a great idea...I will use this example.
In the detriot game you would commonly see Roy Williams in motion working to get off henry or newman and get Glenn in coverage...if at all possible on Roy's side. This isn't hard since we play straight up defense every play. You can't ever expect Glenn to match up one on one with Roy...thus he was abused.
Now if Newman was assigned to shut down their best WR...such as he is asked to do when playing a guy like steve smith then this becomes less of a problem...and teams will stop trying to exploit this.

Passing Average
Well this has to be inflated inpart due to our 40+ numbers we have. But again this has to do with our over the top coverage. What do we do about it....well my idea is let Newman play on an island with occasional over-the-top help and sit out FS over the top of Henry. When in nickel...allow whoever the weak/more difficult task help with the SS. The LB's become responsible for the TE/RB/WR and whatever the biggest task let the SS help down.

Which is where playing a Rover in the nickle would help so much...not only is he not 12 yards off the ball he is more in the 8-10 yard range...but he can used to A) blitz and get there faster or b) allow the LB to fake blitz and jam the TE early off the line knowing his over-the-top help is only 6 yards behind him. If we do blitz the LB...he is close enough to the line to either jump the quick route...but force the QB to wait...thus getting to the QB.

This is the perfect place for Roy...it gives him the choice to blitz or play double on a tough assignment for the LB. It allows him to be removed from his deep cover 2 responsibilities...and lets him be more active.

This puts tremendous pressure on Newman...because if he is beat he has little to no help...depend on how far away our FS is...but bottomline is...he is a top 3 CB in the league...he can match up on w/e reciever he wants. Worse comes to worse...he mans up on the number 2 WR in nickle sets..which allows Henry to man up on the #1 with over the top help.

Passing TD's
Well this has alot to do with Roy again. With the TE's in our division I want Watkins on the TE inside the redzone...sure he can get abused..but if he gets stiffarmed its almost a TD anyways. He can match up one on one against any TD and have the jump ball advantage. Both Henry and Newman are good redzone corners...Glenn has no business being matched up against a tall WR...if this ever happens its the scheme fault for allowing the TD...glenn is a good corner but just doesn't have the size to man up against the big guys.

Pressure
This is another part of it...we are 21st in sacks. Sure alot of this can come down to Ellis being out...to Hatcher being raw...but between the two and Ware we don't have alot. This is another reason why having Roy as the Rover would help our defense. His ability to get to the QB is just as good as any of those guys...I really think that Hatcher is our most well-rounded pressure player which is crazy to think of. Personally I don't care how soft our 3rd and long DL is...I want pressure pressure pressure. If that means having Ware/Ratliff/Hatcher/Ellis so be it. I loved how Hatcher performed on the outside this year...but he isn't better then Ellis and Ware yet. Ellis is in his last year here so Hatcher will get his time.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:10 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thule is working hard on poster of the month honors!
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:12 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward
Thule is working hard on poster of the month honors!
just trying to hold the discussion at the level it deserves to be at. It seems when the board tends to go to a certain level...certain members choose to sit on the outside and watch and listen rather then try to act like they have an idea. Not directed at anybody specific...just something I've noticed over the past 400 pages.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 01-17-2007, 08:27 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

FYI, I did a mock with Toonster last night and I drafted Jarvis Moss.

Any questions?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:32 PM    (permalink
4_5_275_LB

Quote:
Excuse me? Are you talking about projecting / guessing what is needed for next year based on what the team's improvment needs are?

I am new so I could use some clarification and you seem to have some status with the other posters.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:37 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4_5_275_LB
Quote:
Excuse me? Are you talking about projecting / guessing what is needed for next year based on what the team's improvment needs are?

I am new so I could use some clarification and you seem to have some status with the other posters.
Yes, he's just talking about promoting talk of resolution rather than discuss fault/blame on how we got here.

What have you got to say? Have any opinions on how to patch the holes on our team? ...and where those holes are? This is all fun talk... All are welcomed.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:43 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, he's just talking about promoting talk of resolution rather than discuss fault/blame on how we got here.

What have you got to say? Have any opinions on how to patch the holes on our team? ...and where those holes are? This is all fun talk... All are welcomed.
Indeed thats what I was getting after. If you go back and read the last 10 or so pages...you'll see a lot of back and fourth argueing and bring posts back from the past....i brought this post up to encourage talks about ideas/schemes/players/people to watch/goals for the offseason and what not.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 01-17-2007, 08:57 PM    (permalink
4_5_275_LB

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit
Quote:
Quote:

Indeed thats what I was getting after. If you go back and read the last 10 or so pages...you'll see a lot of back and fourth argueing and bring posts back from the past....i brought this post up to encourage talks about ideas/schemes/players/people to watch/goals for the offseason and what not.
Number 1 is NT. We need some additional strength and pass rush plus someone to give Fergie a blow. I picked this up...

"Pat Yasinskas, of the Charlotte Observer, reports Carolina Panthers DT Kris Jenkins is a potential salary-cap casualty this offseason. The team could also decide to restructure his contract to lower his salary cap number for the 2007 season."

What do you think of this options for NT?

Number 2 is OG: FA is best option if looking for a starter. Someone posted earlier lists

Number 3 is WR: We need some youth. We could use some size. The ND kid looks great to me and a very nice fit for this Offense.

Number 4 is CB: Not immediate given Henry and Newman but need some youth and likely a place to spend a 1 this year. The Pitt guy looks like a player, Revis.

Rest of the spots need the young guys to improve. Safety, DE, LB, QB, TE, etc.

On coaching, I need some time. I like Parcells but the schemes are a little to dry for the talent.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:23 PM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

CTCowboysFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Well fellas I will admit I am wrong.

And no I didn't say Parcells wouldn't return just that I said I didn't want him to.

Here is the recap of a Dan Henning I stole from another site.

Have you talked to Bill? "Yes, I have spoken to Bill quite a bit the last few days" Are you in Dallas right now? "I can't say much right now, there some other things in motion right now and I need to tie up a few things in Carolina, but I will say this, Bill is coming back, he'll probably be mad that I'm saying this, but he'll get over it" They asked him how he knew and he said, "He's building his staff and talking diligently with his scouts and Jeff Ireland"

Has he asked you to be part of his team in 2007? "I can't answer that right now, but I'm sure people can put one and one together, that's all I'm saying at this time, Ok."

Keyshawn said he was not going to learn a new system in Carolina now that you are gone. What do you think about Keyshawn, will he be a Panther in 2007? "I love the player, I'd welcome him on my team anytime, but I don't see him in Carolina in 2007"

What do you think of Romo? "He's a player, no doubt about that. Parcells told me about Romo in 2003 and said he could be the guy someday. Parcells likes to acquire young players and build them up, and he's done a great job with Romo. Watch this offense in 2007, watch out!"

Have you been approached by any other teams right now? "I have, but I know where I'm going to be in 2007, you'll see soon enough, I promise."
CTCowboysFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:35 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

is it just me or does anybody else have the feeling cowboysforever has returned as a differt poster?
Old 01-17-2007, 10:08 PM    (permalink
Poet3334
Rookie

Poet3334 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Quote:

I rank our needs as follows:

G- I don't believe anything needs to be said here. Rivera won't make the cut. I would prefer using free agency and picking up an established player, although this may not be the most attractive route given our previous attempts. I will say that I think Kosier played pretty well. We knew he wasn't a mauler, and he did nothing to dispel that notion. What he is is a pretty athletic guy in space. I am a Steinbach fan, but I'm thinking that if Dielman is out there, he could be slightly more affordable.

CB- This would depend upon the move with Henry. I'm in favor of him moving , and us drafting a corner in the first 3 rounds. Living in ACC/SEC country, I've had the opportunity to see a ton of guys, but none of them intrigue me more than Josh Wilson. He reminds me of Bob Sanders, just plain tenacious and tough.

Hybrid DE/Olb- I've heard the talk about the depth of the linebacking core, and I agree to a certain extent. I'm all about adding more playmakers to this defense. More pass rush options are very important, as we've seen this year. Ellis coming back strong is not guaranteed, and the only other viable pass rushing option is Carp.

"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
Albert Camus
Poet3334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:13 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCowboysFan

And no I didn't say Parcells wouldn't return just that I said I didn't want him to.

After listening to Dan Henning on Sirius NFL Radio I think Bill Parcells will be back, and I am sure about it now.

You heard it here first.....Bill Parcells to return in 07.

Here is the recap I stole from another site.

Have you talked to Bill? "Yes, I have spoken to Bill quite a bit the last few days" Are you in Dallas right now? "I can't say much right now, there some other things in motion right now and I need to tie up a few things in Carolina, but I will say this, Bill is coming back, he'll probably be mad that I'm saying this, but he'll get over it" They asked him how he knew and he said, "He's building his staff and talking diligently with his scouts and Jeff Ireland"

Has he asked you to be part of his team in 2007? "I can't answer that right now, but I'm sure people can put one and one together, that's all I'm saying at this time, Ok."

Keyshawn said he was not going to learn a new system in Carolina now that you are gone. What do you think about Keyshawn, will he be a Panther in 2007? "I love the player, I'd welcome him on my team anytime, but I don't see him in Carolina in 2007"

What do you think of Romo? "He's a player, no doubt about that. Parcells told me about Romo in 2003 and said he could be the guy someday. Parcells likes to acquire young players and build them up, and he's done a great job with Romo. Watch this offense in 2007, watch out!"

Have you been approached by any other teams right now? "I have, but I know where I'm going to be in 2007, you'll see soon enough, I promise."
Sounds pretty good to me... :D
Old 01-17-2007, 10:17 PM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCowboysFan

After listening to Dan Henning on Sirius NFL Radio I think Bill Parcells will be back, and I am sure about it now.

You heard it here first.....Bill Parcells to return in 07.

Here is the recap I stole from another site.

Sounds like Henning's coming aboard. Wonder if he'd actually name him OC?
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote