Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 10-28-2013, 08:12 PM    (permalink
Crimson79
Rookie

Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/...bodys-business

About that Offensive heavy draft again...
I definitely blame the coaches for not being able to predict the whole DL going down with injuries.
Crimson79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:19 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://thelandryhat.com/2013/10/28/7...ding%20on%20FS
Interesting on Claiborne and Scandrick. The rest I could live without.
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:20 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson79 View Post
I definitely blame the coaches for not being able to predict the whole DL going down with injuries.
Lol. Moronic comment. Ware ended last season injured, so did Spencer, so did Ratliff. Brent was susspended and Lissemore and Spears were cut. But your right, drafting a D linemen in ANY round was probably a bad idea SMH!!

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Last edited by pocketaces : 10-28-2013 at 08:28 PM.
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:24 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Eliminate the big play?

Sounds like the Rob Ryan bend but don't break defense would be a smart way to go for us.
Isnt it funny, first we want a blitzing pressure D, then we want a D that creates turnovers (which we've gotten and we are still 4-4) and now we want a bend but dont break D? Seems no matter what we run or how we run it, we still lose late in games and stay at .500

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 10-28-2013, 08:29 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Lol. Moronic comment. Ware ended last season injured, so did Spencer, so did Ratliff. But your right, drafting a D linemen in ANY round was probably a bad idea SMH!!
I get what youre saying and its a valid point but what concerns me more than giving up a ton of yardage on d, the offense not being able to do anything with the turnovers the defense handed them. So yeah while they gave up yards in chunks, I don't blame them for that loss yesterday or the denver or kc game.

It's not the defense its the lack of how to use the offensive weapons you have.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:31 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Romo doesn't "throw guys open".

What I mean by that is, even when a mismatch is covered, he's still open if you throw it to them a certain way. You put it where he can get it and no one else and you trust him to make a play on the ball.

Romo doesn't make these throws. You have to be open for him to throw it to you.

Dez is a beast. And I'm of the belief he can be just as dominant as Calvin. Sometimes when you think he's covered he's still open. Let him make a play on the ball.

And I think that's what frustrates Dez.

I don't want to come across as a guy who's just saying this bc the Cowboys have lost, bc I have said this in the past as well, so please excuse me for using this time to bring it up again.

I'm not trying to cause trouble by bringing it up, I just feel that it's a legitimate critique of his game.

I think he can, he does it with Witten and Austin quite a bit, I just don't know if it's he doesn't want to, or like to, or what. Hell the first TD Dez had he wasn't even the slightest bit open, but for some reason Romo won't make contested throws to Dez even though the results are there. We would prefer to sputter for 3 quarters, not scoring any points or generating any offense, and forcing it to a guy who can't beat man to man coverage.

I've seen him do it plenty to know he can, but he doesn't seem to prefer it at all. We make it look like defenses are playing some new revolutionary defense. I don't think Dez needs 15 catches a game, but if you are struggling to generate any movement on offense and you're not throwing to your best weapon along the way, that seems like an easy fix. I'd rather the old gun slinger romo come back, that guy still threw picks too but he wasn't afraid to put the ball into tight spaces.

Watching Aaron Rodgers all I saw was Nelson getting balls when he was covered, but if you put Romo in that offense he's ignoring Jordy because of double coverage and throwing to Myles White short of the 1st down marker. If we ever make it far enough in a season to have a meaningful drive, all were gonna do is throw it to the 3rd and 4th best players on offense because the D will never expect that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:39 PM    (permalink
Crimson79
Rookie

Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Lol. Moronic comment. Ware ended last season injured, so did Spencer, so did Ratliff. But your right, drafting a D linemen in ANY round was probably a bad idea SMH!!
So that is your draft strategy? Those guys are injured so don't plan on them being back for next season? That is a quick way to end up with a terrible team.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:46 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas View Post
I get what youre saying and its a valid point but what concerns me more than giving up a ton of yardage on d, the offense not being able to do anything with the turnovers the defense handed them. So yeah while they gave up yards in chunks, I don't blame them for that loss yesterday or the denver or kc game.

It's not the defense its the lack of how to use the offensive weapons you have.
If your D is giving up 51 points and cant hold a 6 point lead with a min to go and 80 yards to cover, and you dont blame the D, I guess i dont know what to say. We have set NFL records in these first 8 games for ineptitude on Defense. The Offense hasnt been great but when you score 48, and 30 points you ought to win those games. We arent just giving up a ton of yards, we are giving up a ton of points as well.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:49 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
So that is your draft strategy? Those guys are injured so don't plan on them being back for next season? That is a quick way to end up with a terrible team.
Ummm no, you plan on them playing but you also plan on having quality backups because you cant count on 30+ year olds coming off major injuries to play 16 games. Quality young backups...hmmm what a concept. And maybe, just maybe, if your good at it, one of those guys might actually start. Heaven forbid.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:58 PM    (permalink
Crimson79
Rookie

Quote:
Ummm no, you plan on them playing but you also plan on having quality backups because you cant count on 30+ year olds coming off major injuries to play 16 games. Quality young backups...hmmm what a concept.
Or you could have quality young starters like Frederick, Williams, and Wilcox. Pretty crazy concept I know.

I didn't like the Escobar pick, but if you can't look at our overall draft and see that it was successful then I don't know what to tell you.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:01 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Or you could have quality young starters like Frederick, Williams, and Wilcox. Pretty crazy concept I know.

I didn't like the Escobar pick, but if you can't look at our overall draft and see that it was successful then I don't know what to tell you.
8-8. 8-8. 4-4. Awesome drafting! Next year we go QB, RB, WR, and why not, another TE!! We score 48, and 30 and STILL dont win. Carry on.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:05 PM    (permalink
Crimson79
Rookie

Quote:
8-8. 8-8. 4-4. Awesome drafting! Next year we go QB, RB, WR, and why not, another TE!! We score 48, and 30 and STILL dont win. Carry on.
Do you really think drafting a DL would have saved this season?
Old 10-28-2013, 09:05 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Quote:
If your D is giving up 51 points and cant hold a 6 point lead with a min to go and 80 yards to cover, and you dont blame the D, I guess i dont know what to say. We have set NFL records in these first 8 games for ineptitude on Defense. The Offense hasnt been great but when you score 48, and 30 points you ought to win those games. We arent just giving up a ton of yards, we are giving up a ton of points as well.
I simply don't agree, perhaps they could've done better against Denver, but yesterday they handed the ball to the offense 4 times due to takeaways and they came up with 0. They had a key stop in the 4th and gave the ball to the offense and they got nothing. The offense failed to put that game away yesterday, and if you can't see that I don't know what to say.

So I could say the same for giving up 17 to the chiefs and the offense putting up 16. Or how about the fact that all 4 wins were basically games won by the defense.

**"scored 30 and lost" they should've scored 50 yesterday all the blown opportunities by the offense because we don't know how to be aggressive and turn takeaways into points.

Last edited by Jas : 10-28-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:08 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Quote:
I don't think he does but it plays well with his theory regarding the failure of the last draft.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:12 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Do you really think drafting a TE who rarely plays and has been a non factor for 8 weeks in the 2nd round was the way to go? This isnt a 1 year problem, this is EIGHTEEN YEARS of average-ness. We have had WAY to many drafts that have produced nothing!

Old 10-28-2013, 09:13 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Yea, I'm sick of this team, the mediocrity, the Escobar pick(at the time and now), but overall there is no way I can think we had a bad draft. Williams was excellent value and pick, he should have been gone in the 2nd at worst and he was highly decorated at Baylor. He is already our longterm #2 WR and huge play-maker, I don't think Romo would have looked anywhere near as good without him to open things up.

Frederick was a no brainer pick and panned out, Wilcox is a highly athletic starter at a position of need, and I am still sticking with Holloman being a future starter at LB, I really believe that he's got a knack for finding the ball. Granted we needed D line somewhere, but if we are being honest who thought Ware and Spencer would be injured? Spencer was supposed to be ready pretty early and there wasn't much doubt around him at all, Ware had never missed a game. Then we lost Crawford to a fluke injury early. That's 3 down at DE that we can't plan for. Ratliff was the only one who we shouldn't have counted, and honestly DT isn't this teams problem. We'd still be folding away games.

But I've never understood our passion for a 2nd round TE to not use so bad. I hated the Marty B pick too. I always hate a 2nd ******* TE when great starters are left and the 2nd TE is never utilized here enough to justify that pick. If we could have swapped him out with anyone we would have nailed the draft. But I'm not gonna ***** about it overall because of him, we have at least 3 hits of guys I think are very talented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:18 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I simply don't agree, perhaps they could've done better against Denver, but yesterday they handed the ball to the offense 4 times due to takeaways and they came up with 0. They had a key stop in the 4th and gave the ball to the offense and they got nothing. The offense failed to put that game away yesterday, and if you can't see that I don't know what to say.

So I could say the same for giving up 17 to the chiefs and the offense putting up 16. Or how about the fact that all 4 wins were basically games won by the defense.
Welp I guess if you dont think scoring 30 or 48 points should be enough to win and dont expect the D to keep them under that total then we'll just agree to disagree. Funny that you'd say "if you cant see that" when you didnt even watch the game Lol

Old 10-28-2013, 09:23 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I don't think he does but it plays well with his theory regarding the failure of the last draft.
Not saying the draft was a failure, just said we had more pressing needs. Other than Fredrick and Wilcox IMO we drafted guys that were more of a luxury than a need, although Williams does look like hes going to be a very good player.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:24 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Look I'm dez Bryant...

You can bet he'll see some passes thrown his way this week, shame he has to have a breakdown to wake these unfit coaches to the fact that he needs the ball..lol

Last edited by Jas : 10-28-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:25 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Quote:
Welp I guess if you dont think scoring 30 or 48 points should be enough to win and dont expect the D to keep them under that total then we'll just agree to disagree. Funny that you'd say "if you cant see that" when you didnt even watch the game Lol
Really?? Do I have to see the game to know we had 4 takeaways that we couldn't turn into points?? Or that the defense had a key stop and the offense did nothing?
Could I have perhaps saw the highlights since then or read about the fact that we had 4 takeaways??
What kind of statement is that??

Listen whats going on here is they scaled back the offense because they're afraid of Romo making mistakes..lets be honest, trying to protect him from throwing picks, thats not going to get us anywhere so lets open it up, throw it Dez even if he's covered and let Romo earn his check or replace him.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:29 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Yea, I'm sick of this team, the mediocrity, the Escobar pick(at the time and now), but overall there is no way I can think we had a bad draft. Williams was excellent value and pick, he should have been gone in the 2nd at worst and he was highly decorated at Baylor. He is already our longterm #2 WR and huge play-maker, I don't think Romo would have looked anywhere near as good without him to open things up.

Frederick was a no brainer pick and panned out, Wilcox is a highly athletic starter at a position of need, and I am still sticking with Holloman being a future starter at LB, I really believe that he's got a knack for finding the ball. Granted we needed D line somewhere, but if we are being honest who thought Ware and Spencer would be injured? Spencer was supposed to be ready pretty early and there wasn't much doubt around him at all, Ware had never missed a game. Then we lost Crawford to a fluke injury early. That's 3 down at DE that we can't plan for. Ratliff was the only one who we shouldn't have counted, and honestly DT isn't this teams problem. We'd still be folding away games.

But I've never understood our passion for a 2nd round TE to not use so bad. I hated the Marty B pick too. I always hate a 2nd ******* TE when great starters are left and the 2nd TE is never utilized here enough to justify that pick. If we could have swapped him out with anyone we would have nailed the draft. But I'm not gonna ***** about it overall because of him, we have at least 3 hits of guys I think are very talented.
We gave up a 1st and a 2nd for a Corner, we paid top dollar for a FA at Corner, we are starting another high draft pick at Safety and the Slot, and we still are getting RIPPED through the air. Please explain.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:33 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Really?? Do I have to see the game to know we had 4 takeaways that we couldn't turn into points?? Or that the defense had a key stop and the offense did nothing?
Could I have perhaps saw the highlights since then or read about the fact that we had 4 takeaways??
What kind of statement is that??

Listen whats going on here is they scaled back the offense because they're afraid of Romo making mistakes..lets be honest, trying to protect him from throwing picks, thats not going to get us anywhere so lets open it up and let him earn his check or replace him.
Nope, your wrong. They were attempting to run the clock (poorly I admit) Had nothing to do with Romo or picks. I STILL expect our Defense to get a stop with 80 yards to go holding a 6 point lead with a min to go. If you dont you have low expectations.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:42 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Quote:
We gave up a 1st and a 2nd for a Corner, we paid top dollar for a FA at Corner, we are starting another high draft pick at Safety and the Slot, and we still are getting RIPPED through the air. Please explain.
Claiborne may have been vastly overrated, Carr is good but may not have been worth what they paid, the safeties are inexperienced and basically you have church who may or may not be the answer and Wilcox who is still learning.

I will say again what concerns me more is you have a offense loaded with talented weapons and have been struggling since the denver game, please explain that...
Old 10-28-2013, 09:45 PM    (permalink
Crimson79
Rookie

Quote:
Claiborne may have been vastly overrated, Carr is good but may not have been worth what they paid, the safeties are inexperienced and basically you have church who may or may not be the answer and Wilcox who is still learning.

I will say again what concerns me more is you have a offense loaded with talented weapons and have been struggling since the denver game, please explain that...
I think it is pretty obvious that it is the play calling.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:45 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Quote:
Nope, your wrong. They were attempting to run the clock (poorly I admit) Had nothing to do with Romo or picks. I STILL expect our Defense to get a stop with 80 yards to go holding a 6 point lead with a min to go. If you dont you have low expectations.
Not talking about the last drive, talking in general, all day yesterday, and the past few games. Seems they found a good formula against denver but Romo's pick and the criticism that followed has made them a bit gun shy.

And I expect points from 4 turnovers lol So those are my expectations.

If the offense puts them away as they should have with numerous opportunities, we wouldn't have to worry about stoping them with a minute left. Game should've been a blow out.

Last edited by Jas : 10-28-2013 at 09:52 PM.