Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 11-01-2013, 03:03 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
Huh? Lol you cant make this stuff up!

Does this make sense, or is it just me?
I feel like Im insane when he talks..lol
We're on here discussing a team and its becoming more and more obvious we're not in the NFL but in the twilight zone.
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:24 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Huh? Lol you cant make this stuff up!

Does this make sense, or is it just me?
The moment Jerry says something negative or questionable about his Head Coach....

IT'S OVER.

The chaos caused by the media would turn this into the biggest circus show in America. Our team would have to deal with sooooo many distractions that it would toast our season to a crisp! Team moral would be down. Coaches would be thinking more about their futures than their current job.

Jerry is not as big of an idiot as you guys think. He HAS TO address the media. There is no way around it. Even if he shied away people would make news out of THAT! "Oh oh, Jerry is being quiet. He must be upset. Things are going BAD in Dallas!"

Giving support is the BEST thing he can do right now. BEST THING.

Always remember... what Jerry says is not always what Jerry thinks.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:44 PM    (permalink
dsc1600
Veteran

dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jerry should not have a show, period.

He says dumb things, the media runs with it, the team is targeted even more, and the focus is all over the place.

That's why we need a strong coaching presence, a Jimmy/Parcells type. But I bet if you asked Jerrah and he answered honestly, his least favorite times as owner where when he had a strong coach that took the spotlight away from him. That's why we are stuck with the Switzer, Campo, Garrett type coach.
dsc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:43 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I wrote three books on Dallas Cowboys teams owned by Jones and spent hundreds of hours with him from 1989 to 1996, once even interviewing him over lunch at his Dallas estate.
Quote:
I've often defended Jones on "First Take" as the shrewdest of businessmen and marketers with a plunger's guts … defended him as an owner/GM who did play football at a fairly high level (starting guard on Arkansas' 1964 national championship team) and who, with final say on all draft and free-agent moves, has consistently helped stock some of the NFL's most talented rosters … and defended him as an extremely likable man with a good heart and unsinkable spirit.
Quote:
I grew up a Cowboys fan, attending my first game in 1960, the first year of their existence.

That said, I've reached this painful conclusion: I'll be surprised if one of Jerry Jones' teams ever even comes close to winning another Super Bowl. Jerry has never been as driven to win as Jimmy was and good-cop Jerry hasn't been nearly as effective after he split with as bad a cop as ever coached, Jimmy Johnson. Now, Jerry is far more ringmaster than ring winner.
Quote:
Jerry has succeeded only at building the most entertaining team in sports -- too often for the wrong reasons. Year after year Jerry's Cowboys lead the league in building false hope and losing spectacularly. His Cowboys remain America's Team, in large part, because Cowboys lovers and the many, many Cowboys haters know that just when they start looking like a Super Bowl team, oh my god, did you see that?

They blow it in some astonishing way, as they did late against Denver (Tony Romo, from 506 yards passing to game-losing interception) and Detroit (Lions, 80 yards to win in the final minute). And Jerry all but applauds his team for another edge-of-seat moral victory, tells the media he saw so many positives, and backslaps his players for … for what? Putting on yet another great show?

The Cowboys fan in me is getting increasingly sick and tired of watching Jerry Jones enable his team to lose without fear. Super nice guys Romo, Jason Garrett, Jason Witten and DeMarcus Ware now lead the league in post-loss patience -- in handling tougher and tougher media questions with shrugging imperturbability -- because they aren't afraid of being held accountable by the owner.
Quote:
I don't believe anyone in this franchise or on this team takes winning nearly as now-or-never seriously as many early '90s Cowboys did because this team's sole leader -- the owner -- has gotten lost in his mirror.

what Jones needs more than ever is a Jimmy, a polar-opposite partner as driven to win as Jerry is to entertain.
Quote:
That's why he and Jimmy Johnson blended so beautifully. Jimmy could barely contain his rage to dominate. Jimmy motivated by fear -- even his stars dreaded his win-or-else blowups. Forget the affable, chuckling Jimmy you see on Fox. On the team plane after a 1992 loss in Washington -- Jimmy's young Cowboys had blown a 17-10 lead after three quarters and lost 20-17 -- I witnessed him go psycho and tear into players (stars included) who dared to joke around in the coach section.
Quote:
Last offseason, Jerry huffed and puffed and vowed "changes will be made." The scapegoat? Take-no-guff defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, whose unit had been decimated by injuries. Ryan's New Orleans defense is currently 12th of 32 teams and they're fourth in points allowed.

Jerry replaced him with the legendary Monte Kiffin, 73 -- Jerry's kind of storytelling crony. Monte did a stint at Jerry's school, Arkansas, with Lou Holtz. Yes, Kiffin's Cowboys defense also has lost some key performers, but dead last?
Quote:
I'm sorry, Jerry, I can no longer defend you. You have your three rings, now you just want your three-ring circus. For you, winning playoff games is now optional and my Cowboys deserve better.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/99...as-cowboys-win

Love Skip or hate him, hes dead on. He gives JJ credit for the talent on the roster and talks about some great pickups he made in Sanders and Haley, but the truth is, he cares WAY more about entertaining than winning. Our players have NO fear in losing and JJ is always there to tell everybody its ok.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:16 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc1600 View Post

He says dumb things, the media runs with it, the team is targeted even more, and the focus is all over the place.

That's why we need a strong coaching presence, a Jimmy/Parcells type. But I bet if you asked Jerrah and he answered honestly, his least favorite times as owner where when he had a strong coach that took the spotlight away from him. That's why we are stuck with the Switzer, Campo, Garrett type coach.
I agree that we need a strong coaching presence but I don't think it's worth it if it causes disharmony among those calling the shots. I mainly want a strong coaching presence for the benefit of the players. Under Garrett our players are no different than they were under Wade. We need a coach to light a fire under their asses! Jerry brings in whoever his coaches want. Marinelli pretty much says, I want this guy and it's done. These are not Jerry moves. Jerry doesn't make moves. He writes checks. He'll be the voice on the end of the phone talking trades, but the decisions on those trades are made as a group. Yes, we need a strong coaching presence because we won't win with a weak coach who despite working hard and is very smart, he just doesn't get it. We need a coach with that X factor.

Jerry is a showman. Having a show doesn't bother me. People's overreactions to his words bother me. If you take the stance that you can't believe his words 100%, then you're fine and you're probably right. People who buy into every word are the ones fooling their ownselves. He's a mascot and that's it.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:17 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
The moment Jerry says something negative or questionable about his Head Coach....

IT'S OVER.

The chaos caused by the media would turn this into the biggest circus show in America. Our team would have to deal with sooooo many distractions that it would toast our season to a crisp! Team moral would be down. Coaches would be thinking more about their futures than their current job.

Jerry is not as big of an idiot as you guys think. He HAS TO address the media. There is no way around it. Even if he shied away people would make news out of THAT! "Oh oh, Jerry is being quiet. He must be upset. Things are going BAD in Dallas!"

Giving support is the BEST thing he can do right now. BEST THING.

Always remember... what Jerry says is not always what Jerry thinks.
True, he's not going to tip his hand in front of the media by saying anything if he's planning a move, thing is..based on the fact that he may care more about entertainment than winning, he may be telling the truth.

And it maybe true to an extent he had a lot to do with the decisions that were made on players back in the Jimmy days, it's said that Jimmy didn't think Aikman could be a winner and that he wanted a linebacker over Emmitt.

If Jerry made those calls good for him but someone had to be the hand of discipline, accountability and drive to win and thats what Jimmy was, thats why it's gonna take time to find the right mix again, thought we had it with Parcells and it looked good for awhile but Bill decided to walk after the seattle game.

Gruden or Cowher seem to be those kinda coaches but we'll have to see if Jerry really cares about winning again or just putting on a show.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:20 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/99...as-cowboys-win

Love Skip or hate him, hes dead on. He gives JJ credit for the talent on the roster and talks about some great pickups he made in Sanders and Haley, but the truth is, he cares WAY more about entertaining than winning. Our players have NO fear in losing and JJ is always there to tell everybody its ok.
He couldn't be farther from the truth.

The truth is... Jerry cares more about safeguarding perception than divulging the truth.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:23 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc1600 View Post

Hey now. I think that Garrett is certainly lacking in some important aspects of coaching, but he's not in the Switzer and Campo league of coaches at all. I know I'm risking opening up a dead horse that's been long beat up, but Garrett is much better at assembling a team than those two. The roster moves besides a few have seemed to be his calls, and on top of that he's got more control over the team. How often do you see Jerry on the sidelines ever since Garrett took over? I wouldn't mind them getting rid of Garrett if this team once again goes 8-8 and missed the playoffs, but even if they do he's still better than those two. Sure Switzer has a ring, but anybody would have won with that team.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:44 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
Hey now. I think that Garrett is certainly lacking in some important aspects of coaching, but he's not in the Switzer and Campo league of coaches at all. I know I'm risking opening up a dead horse that's been long beat up, but Garrett is much better at assembling a team than those two. The roster moves besides a few have seemed to be his calls, and on top of that he's got more control over the team. How often do you see Jerry on the sidelines ever since Garrett took over? I wouldn't mind them getting rid of Garrett if this team once again goes 8-8 and missed the playoffs, but even if they do he's still better than those two. Sure Switzer has a ring, but anybody would have won with that team.
"I used to spend my time on the sideline and probably need to spend some more down there," Jones said on KRLD-FM Tuesday. "But the bottom line is one of the reasons I'm trying to see and get a feel for is where’s the passion? Where’s the energy? What’s the situation with the team?"

Thats what all owners do, right?

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 11-01-2013, 05:45 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
He couldn't be farther from the truth.

The truth is... Jerry cares more about safeguarding perception than divulging the truth.
I disagree. Hes 100% Dead on. And Cowboy fans deserve better.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:02 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Anyone post this yet, claiborne out till after the bye.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-the-bye-week/
Old 11-01-2013, 07:00 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I agree with ya. Garrett certainly won't leave the cupboard bare if he leaves. Did a very fine job assembling talent. ...although I get a kick when some folks say Jerry does a crap job drafting. hahaha.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:01 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I disagree. Hes 100% Dead on. And Cowboy fans deserve better.
Anytime your opinion aligns with Skip.... you gotta take a step back and re-evaluate your thoughts.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:18 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas View Post
Anyone post this yet, claiborne out till after the bye.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-the-bye-week/
Damn. I'm starting to worry about him getting hurt a lot. Webb is about to get baptism by fire going up against the Saints.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:48 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Damn. I'm starting to worry about him getting hurt a lot. Webb is about to get baptism by fire going up against the Saints.
Hopefully he gains confidence against Ponder first.

Webb is a very talented CB that I really liked in the draft, so I hope he fares well against this challenge.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:46 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

BTB did their first Cowboy Mock draft.

DT Rashede Hageman

DE Michael Sam

OG Xavier Su'a Filo

OT Morgan Moses

QB Jimmy Garoppolo

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/...fb-open-thread

We all know JJ will never draft 4 linemen, much less in the top 4 rounds, but its a great thought.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:53 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Of course. Jerry will never draft a first round offensive lineman. Until he did with Tyron... and then Frederick.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:12 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Of course. Jerry will never draft a first round offensive lineman. Until he did with Tyron... and then Frederick.
2 in 24 years. Impressive. 132-132 since '96 and people still defend. I guess we can all applaud the 1 playoff win since Jimmy left and dream of the old days or better times...

Old 11-02-2013, 03:19 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

So, on to the game against Minny. Anybody see a reason we dont win this one easily? We need to limit AD, and stop Patterson on STs but their QB is horrible (I hear they are starting Ponder again) and their D isnt anything special. I'll guess something like 34-17 or so. Hopfully we'll play well heading into our bye and get ready for a tough one in N.O.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:55 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
So, on to the game against Minny. Anybody see a reason we dont win this one easily? We need to limit AD, and stop Patterson on STs but their QB is horrible (I hear they are starting Ponder again) and their D isnt anything special. I'll guess something like 34-17 or so. Hopfully we'll play well heading into our bye and get ready for a tough one in N.O.
Mackenzy Bernadaeu + Ron Leary and the fact the Fred Beard can't help them both.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:08 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
Mackenzy Bernadaeu + Ron Leary and the fact the Fred Beard can't help them both.
Very true, however Minny's pass russ (sacks) I believe are in the bottom 10 in the league. If Im not mistaken. Rob Ryan has to be salivating to go up against this line in 2 weeks. Im sure hes going to send everything hes got in his playbook. 2 mediocre guards and a rookie center. Oye...

Old 11-02-2013, 05:11 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
2 in 24 years. Impressive. 132-132 since '96 and people still defend. I guess we can all applaud the 1 playoff win since Jimmy left and dream of the old days or better times...
You're great at using history when it suits your argument. Too bad you come away flawed most of the time. You're blaming him for not drafting 1st round OL in the 90s while we had the greatest OL of all time. You're suggesting that he didn't value OL just because he didn't use a 1st rounder on OL them...while he dished out huge contract after huge contract on OL.

Then when we do draft OL in the 1st, it's either swept under the rug (Smith) or heavily bashed on (Frederick).

Raise ya game Pocket.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:17 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Very true, however Minny's pass russ (sacks) I believe are in the bottom 10 in the league. If Im not mistaken. Rob Ryan has to be salivating to go up against this line in 2 weeks. Im sure hes going to send everything hes got in his playbook. 2 mediocre guards and a rookie center. Oye...
Is this the Rob Ryan that you fear or the Rob Ryan that you laugh at?

Show some me the same love and faith you had in Monte before the season, and the same hate and blame you had in Rob.

I don't like this flip flopping business.

As for this Minny game, yeah this is a game that we won't lose. Not too worried, but in all honesty, who wouldn't be surprised if they pulled it off? The lack of faith in Garrett as a coach is not overstated.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:33 PM    (permalink
Gribble
Pro Bowler

Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ratliff to the Bears.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:48 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Is this the Rob Ryan that you fear or the Rob Ryan that you laugh at?

Show some me the same love and faith you had in Monte before the season, and the same hate and blame you had in Rob.

I don't like this flip flopping business.

As for this Minny game, yeah this is a game that we won't lose. Not too worried, but in all honesty, who wouldn't be surprised if they pulled it off? The lack of faith in Garrett as a coach is not overstated.
I dont believe I ever promoted the hiring of Kiffen, prove me wrong. I didnt mind Ryan getting fired for many reasons. I was hoping for an upgrade but clearly we didnt get one. You know how I feel about our line so no reason to rehash