Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 11-19-2013, 03:01 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Most of this season the cowboy offensive philosophy has been to limit Romo's taking chances and focusing on playing it safe to limit mistakes. NY has adjusted their offense as well to help protect Eli(due to poor pass protection) with a dink and dunk strategy.

Based on that this could be a defensive battle, with turnovers and special teams being the difference.

It would be interesting if both teams decided to just let loose and go bombs away but imo that would be very unexpected.
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:32 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas View Post
Most of this season the cowboy offensive philosophy has been to limit Romo's taking chances and focusing on playing it safe to limit mistakes. NY has adjusted their offense as well to help protect Eli(due to poor pass protection) with a dink and dunk strategy.

Based on that this could be a defensive battle, with turnovers and special teams being the difference.

It would be interesting if both teams decided to just let loose and go bombs away but imo that would be very unexpected.
I think the Giants will go bombs away... mainly cause they can. Nothing is stopping them. We don't generate enough pressure in our front 4... especially if Hatcher doesn't return. We have to hope for drops.

Doubt we will cause Romo gets conservative after a Dez drop or INT intended for him. On Sunday, I predict 2 INTs for Romo. That defense is hungry to get revenge.

Post game I imagine Garrett to say, "We have to find ways to get better, and correct our mistakes."
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:07 PM    (permalink
dsc1600
Veteran

dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Our top 5 QB hasn't been getting it done lately:

Per ESPN, The painful proof:

The Cowboys rank 30th in the NFL in third-down conversion rate (32.8 percent, 38-of-116).

Romo's third-down QBR (19.8) ranks 29th in the NFL.

Romo ranks 30th in the NFL in average yards per attempt on third downs (5.74).

Romo's third-down passer rating (57.6) ranks 32nd in the NFL.

Romo's third-down completion percentage (47.1) ranks 34th in the NFL.

- I'm sure it's everyone else's fault in the world, but our top 5 QB making $16M a year should be playing a bit better.
dsc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:13 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc1600 View Post

The Cowboys rank 30th in the NFL in third-down conversion rate (32.8 percent, 38-of-116).

- I'm sure it's everyone else's fault in the world, but our top 5 QB making $16M a year should be playing a bit better.
Yikes. I knew it was bad, but I didn't realize it was that bad.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:29 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
Yeah, it's hard to win with those numbers and its been a problem since the denver game, that moral victory ruined our season because the criticism of Romo after that int changed the entire scheme of things imo. They reigned it in and you can't win like that in this league. As I said weeks ago you better be able to score against the good teams. We haven't been moving the ball well at all and it makes no sense with the players we have.

Everyone talks about how bad the defense has been and they haven't been all that good, but then look at that rate on 3rd down and realize how much they've been on the field because we can't convert.

Let him throw the ball around, and open it up, the season depends on it.

Last edited by Jas : 11-19-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:49 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We'll see what happens with the bye. I forgot who it was, but I remember someone mentioning on DC.com that the lack of Miles Austin is causing guys to blanket Dez easier. I don't buy it though because the offense is so vanilla when it comes to their big time threat. Plus I've given up on Miles. I love the guy's hustle, but his hamstrings make him very unreliable.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:55 PM    (permalink
Gribble
Pro Bowler

Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc1600 View Post

This is such a weird trend. His third down numbers weren't great last year as well, but in 2011 they were outstanding. Regardless, we've gotta open it up.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:27 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
I thought it was worse actually. The other one I'm curious on is how points do we average per turnover created by the defense. Seems like we get the ball and either get a FG or nothing from it.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:55 AM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Garrett: No great answers to Cowboys' third-down problems except being better on first and second down, then executing

The Cowboys spent a lot of time reviewing their third-down offense during the bye week. But the results were inconclusive.

“I don’t know that there were any great revelations,” coach Jason Garrett said. “I think the biggest thing that we have to understand is third down is really oftentimes a product of first and second down. The better you are on first and second down, the more manageable those third-down situations are.”

The Cowboys rank 28th in the NFL on third-down conversions, making 32.8 percent. The New York Giants rank 22nd (35.5 percent), the Philadelphia Eagles are 13th (38.9) and the Washington Redskins are third (46.2).

But the Cowboys, averaging 19 first downs per game, are not far from the league average of 19.

“That’s one thing – I think making first downs on first and second down is important,” Garrett said. “And then simply the idea of being a better third down team – making the throws, making the catches, making the protection calls and physically blocking the guys. All of those things go into being an effective third-down team. Making it more manageable, staying out of some of them, and then just simply executing better.

“Again, when I talk about execution, that’s on us as coaches as well – making sure we’re giving our guys a chance to execute.”
Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com...#storylink=cpy

Im sure its all Tonys fault that we cant run the ball, cant block, drops, penalties, ect ect. IMO Tony has been disappointing at times but to put all the blame on him is stupid. Then there is the coaching and "giving our guys a chance to execute" that hasnt been very good either.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:40 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If Will Allen is right, that means Jimmy Johnson was wrong.

Allen’s description of the problems that plague the Dallas Cowboys completely contradict Johnson’s criticism of a country club atmosphere at Valley Ranch. Heck, Johnson might consider Allen’s issues with the Cowboys to be a sign of progress.

During a Tuesday appearance on Sirius XM NFL Radio, Allen used phrases such as “very micromanaged atmosphere” and “very tight” and cited a lack of “the relationship and the bonding between players and coaches” for creating a vibe at Valley Ranch that’s “not fun for anybody.” He was talking about the 2013 Cowboys, the team that employed him for the first four weeks of the season, but all those phrases would have fit Jimmy’s 1991 team, too. Johnson, who ripped the Cowboys in recent years for coddling players, would probably be proud to hear Jason Garrett described as a hard-ass.
As I said before Garrett is a disciplinarian. Players that complain about their coaches being "hard-asses" or micro-managers make me laugh. The reason? All-stars players don't complain about it. They love it. Coaching should make players better in every way possible. Those looking to simply have fun and collect a paycheck tend to dislike disciplinarians. See Antonio Bryant.

This last parts makes me smile too...

Quote:
Garrett needs results to justify keeping his job, but he at least deserves credit for creating a culture of accountability at Valley Ranch, which requires a head coach who is willing to make difficult decisions. Allen was a victim of that, getting cut because he was viewed as a progress stopper for young safeties J.J. Wilcox and Jeff Heath.
Seems the armchair coaches are off base here huh?

Last edited by Trogdor : 11-20-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:21 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's nice to hear. Hope it's true. Seems strange that a guy like Bruce Carter would be praised after the NO game when everybody that watched the tape said he quit. I know when guys mess up during training camp they have to come out for a play or two but is that enough? Those same mistakes happen every game, or so it seems.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 11-20-2013, 12:30 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com...#storylink=cpy

Im sure its all Tonys fault that we cant run the ball, cant block, drops, penalties, ect ect. IMO Tony has been disappointing at times but to put all the blame on him is stupid. Then there is the coaching and "giving our guys a chance to execute" that hasnt been very good either.
I'm not blaming Romo, I'm focusing on the philosophy and play calling. I'm more critical of the staffs lack of overall confidence and conservative mentality on offense than in any one player.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:32 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
As I said before Garrett is a disciplinarian. Players that complain about their coaches being "hard-asses" or micro-managers make me laugh. The reason? All-stars players don't complain about it. They love it. Coaching should make players better in every way possible. Those looking to simply have fun and collect a paycheck tend to dislike disciplinarians. See Antonio Bryant.

And it's nice to read that Garrett may be a disciplinarian but he's clueless as a headcoach as far as how to utilize players and manage a game imo.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:06 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post

Accountability is not found in talking. It's found in seeing improvement on the field. If the same problems keep happening week after week, year after year, then I don't give a HC credit any for accountability.

Being a hard ass is great and Jimmy was a hard ass, but Jimmy also played favorites in order to establish a closeness with his players in the lockerroom. Players knew that if they did their jobs then they would get some love. Allen is saying there is a disconnect between players and coaches. To me that says that there are not enough players who have the coaches back and vice versa. That could mean that they don't respect him enough. When players are standoffish to their HC then that's when firing needs to happen. That means that words and actions from the HC don't get absorbed. If that wall exists then there is no trust.

When I created that player leadership thread earlier this week, I did it because I sensed our team lacking a backbone. Maybe it's Garrett's style of micromanaging that is preventing our players from stepping into leadership roles. A micromanager is controlling of EVERYTHING. They are classic panic type leaders. Nobody in any profession likes a micromanager. Don't the Cowboys play uptight to you? It's all making sense now. Sheesh.

Gimme a micromanager and I'll show you a frustrated group of employees.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:35 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

They do seem to be uptight and rarely play loose and with good energy. They sometimes seem almost robotic. They gotta loosen it all up and let it go on this stretch run. Throw the ball, more big plays and have some fun with it.

Last edited by Jas : 11-20-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:42 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Gimme a micromanager and I'll show you a frustrated group of employees.
I think it goes beyond the head coach. Wade Phillips was the exact opposite of a micromanager and we had very similar results. Bottom line is when you play for the Dallas Cowboys it doesn't matter who is supposed to be " in charge" of the team.. JERRY JONES is the boss.

We have seen players step outside the chain of command and report straight to the owner. We have seen the owner make comments to the media ref players status's without consulting the coaching staff. We have seen the owner make staffing decisions against the head coaches wishes ( firing of Ryan and removal of play calling from Garrett).

Bottom line is that it is really hard to establish repect and accountability from your players when any decision made by the HC can and will be overrulled at will by Jerry.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:07 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
I think it goes beyond the head coach. Wade Phillips was the exact opposite of a micromanager and we had very similar results. Bottom line is when you play for the Dallas Cowboys it doesn't matter who is supposed to be " in charge" of the team.. JERRY JONES is the boss.

We have seen players step outside the chain of command and report straight to the owner. We have seen the owner make comments to the media ref players status's without consulting the coaching staff. We have seen the owner make staffing decisions against the head coaches wishes ( firing of Ryan and removal of play calling from Garrett).

Bottom line is that it is really hard to establish repect and accountability from your players when any decision made by the HC can and will be overrulled at will by Jerry.
Actually Wade won a lot more games than Garrett so I'd say the results were different. But you made a very good point about Jerry being "the boss" and that it's hard for coaches without a backbone to succeed under Jerry.

Garrett was doomed from the start. Coming as a HC with no previous HC experience, he had no clout to begin his tenure with. In fact, wasn't he considered a guy who got the job because of his family's closeness with the Jones family? We all knew better but out of loyalty to the team, we tried to identify the positives of the situation. ie. Princeton smarts! One of the up and coming offensive minds in football! Vertical scheme!

True there have been messy handling of coaching hires and assignments, but I thought the player's open door policy was over with. Hard to say that what Jerry says about players in the media is always in disagreement with the coaches desire. Sometimes I think he just regurtitates what they think and sometimes I think he lies to hide the truth and sometimes I think he lies to protect the current status of things and sometimes I think he just makes a mistake in saying something he shouldn't have. But all that doesn't really bother me.

The part that is tough is when yes men type coaches start to feel like they are losing control of the situation, then they start to panic and then it filters throughout. Forcing Wade to take over DC, forcing Jason to give up the OC job... the firing of Rob was instigated by Jerry and it seemed to catch Jason off guard, but I think the hire of Monte was Jason's choice...at the very least a combined decision.

Jerry gon be Jerry. I think the only way we start to win around here again is if we hire a HC who won't be a Yes man and comes in with an established reputation.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:29 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Anyone think that with the bye week the plans they may have made to get Dez the ball will be successful? If not we will have to be able to utilize witten and terrance williams/miles austin much the way we did in the 1st game.
I like that Williams has seen some action in the offense since then as he may be a big part of this game.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:50 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Anyone think that with the bye week the plans they may have made to get Dez the ball will be successful? If not we will have to be able to utilize witten and terrance williams/miles austin much the way we did in the 1st game.
I like that Williams has seen some action in the offense since then as he may be a big part of this game.
I'm not sure that they made plans to get Dez the ball. I hope they did, but we shall see.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:56 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Dez is saying it will be harder to double team him but I dont know if thats because they are going to move him around or because he thinks getting Miles back will make it harder. I'd love to believe our coaches will make some changes in our scheme to get him the ball more but I'll have to see it to believe it.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:59 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You guys hate the cowboys!!!!

Lol
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:10 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I'm not sure that they made plans to get Dez the ball. I hope they did, but we shall see.
It's been mentioned but only in a general way.

“We need to get him the ball more,” Jones said. “I think that’s the kind of thing that is a reasonable thing that you can adjust over a two-week period that we’re going into with our bye. How do we work to get him the ball more?

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/20...all-more.html/

http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com...ing-on-it.html

http://fansided.com/2013/11/19/cowbo...uble-coverage/

Last edited by Jas : 11-20-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:17 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
Dez is saying it will be harder to double team him but I dont know if thats because they are going to move him around or because he thinks getting Miles back will make it harder. I'd love to believe our coaches will make some changes in our scheme to get him the ball more but I'll have to see it to believe it.
Hopefully a little of both :)
Old 11-20-2013, 07:40 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post
You guys hate the cowboys!!!!

Lol
We're passed the "early season hopeful "phase and onto the "grumpy can't believe this is happening again" phase.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:41 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
It's been mentioned but only in a general way.

“We need to get him the ball more,” Jones said. “I think that’s the kind of thing that is a reasonable thing that you can adjust over a two-week period that we’re going into with our bye. How do we work to get him the ball more?

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/20...all-more.html/

http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com...ing-on-it.html

http://fansided.com/2013/11/19/cowbo...uble-coverage/
Gonna keep my fingers crossed!