Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 12-10-2013, 01:02 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Darren Woodson dropped bombs this morning too :/

I'm paraphrasing...

"Point blank this defense is one of the LEAST talented units in the league. Outside of DeMarcus Ware and Sean Lee name another player who would even have a shot at taking a starting job on an elite defense like Seattle. He said the only "iffy" 3rd player would be Brandon Carr and only because of Browner being suspended."

Dallas Cowboys GM -Forum Mock
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:06 PM    (permalink
Go Cowboys
Pro Bowler

Location: Springfield, OH: Most Depressing City in the Country. Look it up
Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is getting ridiculous, I remember people complaining about the defense under Rex Ryan, maybe it had issues but we put pressure on people, we gambled and sometimes the gambles caught us.

Now it feels like we sit and wait for the other team to shove the ball at us and hope they make mistakes. Which we had been capitalizing on some of the time. Last night we couldn't capitalize, we had INTs hit us in the hands we had fumbles that we forced go out of bounds. If we get those turnovers we have a shot.

The issue I have is that we are playing McCnown who, while he is a well established Vet Backup, is still a backup. The best way to make up for shotty secondary coverage is to put heat on the QB so he can't pick you apart. Doesn't look very good when you try to play coverage with a bunch backup defensive lineman and linebackers.

I think that along with nagging injuries is what is hurting Ware, no way should we even consider letting him go, though I am sure he will be one of the many willing to restructure the way every team does.

Thanks to bonekrusher for the sig
Go Cowboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:08 PM    (permalink
Go Cowboys
Pro Bowler

Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Darren Woodson dropped bombs this morning too :/

I'm paraphrasing...

"Point blank this defense is one of the LEAST talented units in the league. Outside of DeMarcus Ware and Sean Lee name another player who would even have a shot at taking a starting job on an elite defense like Seattle. He said the only "iffy" 3rd player would be Brandon Carr and only because of Browner being suspended."
I would argue that a healthy Hatcher now playing in a 4-3 Defense could play also.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:10 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Cowboys View Post
I would argue that a healthy Hatcher now playing in a 4-3 Defense could play also.
I agree. Hatcher is having a great year. Hoping he doesn't get a huge pay-day so he can continue playing for us.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:21 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
So much of this. Since Callahan joined we turned more into West Coast plays and away from what Romo, and IMHO the team, does best in vertical passing.

I would trade Callahan and Garrett for the 2007-2009 version of Garrett. We used to take shots down the field with a terrible offensive line. If teams play shell coverage lets use Murray to pound the rock and then utilize PA deep balls to cut them up.

One caveat I do have to mention some of the running plays for Murray were downright sexy. The counter with Witten coming across the formation as lead blocking was absolute perfection.
I agree with you guys about preferring the 2007-09 Garrett offense. We're about 3-5 years too late on the WCO. There used to be a time when I thought it would be good for us (when our OL had severe pass protection issues, when Romo was more mobile, when our WRs used to be known for shredding turf for long YAC). The thought was that we would be able to mitigate our pass pro issues by getting the ball out quicker, suck the D in and then attack them deep... that we would see Romo on boot legs to create more time for him to throw... that Austin would be a main feature of the offense with his great YAC ability. But Austin is now an empty shell of himself, Romo has about 50% of his mobility that he used to have and being in Year 1 of it at this stage of his career has just set this team back.

The other concern bothering me is witnessing the transformation of the NFL. The rule changes have negatively effected the impact of the Tampa2 and the WCO is also becoming a thing of the past. There's no doubt in my mind that the future of the NFL will include more Spread offenses. The NFL wants more 40-50 point games and less 10-20 point games. Defenses are encouraging offenses to run the ball. Passing is becoming more and more difficult to defend. If we employ a dink and dunk offense, then it will take us a lot longer to move the ball downfield to score. It's not taking advantage of the new rules and we're going to be left in the dust. We need to be more innovative. I look at Chip Kelly... there were questions about his offense, but he has already proven doubters wrong. It's time to start believing. In his offense you don't need a franchise signal caller like Brady, Manning, Brees. It's so damn efficient, all you need is to compliment it with a talented defense and once the Eagles get that... fricken, watch the hell out.

Screw the WCO. Screw the Tampa2. We're playing old fashion football. It's time to get with the times.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:25 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Jerry Jones supports Monte Kiffin

Sigh. At least pushing Marinelli's name again in a presser is positive. Kiffin is only on a one year deal so perhaps the continued votes of confident in Marinelli is paving the road for the DC job.
Tee hee. *chuckles like a little girl*

Knew this was comin'. Did you hear Garrett? Blah blah, we have to get things fixed same ole la, crap ola.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:28 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I agree. Hatcher is having a great year. Hoping he doesn't get a huge pay-day so he can continue playing for us.
Yeah, there are a lot of things wrong with us, but Hatcher is not one of them.

Hey Trog, what does our cap space look like? What cuts can we make to create space for us?
Old 12-10-2013, 01:39 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Well our cap situation will be tight.

Romo, Ware, Carr, and Lee can give us a ton of space back with restructures (around 32 million) other potential restructures are Witten (+4m), Miles (+4.5m), Scandrick (+2.5).

Starting with 147m (approx) and working backwards that puts us at 115 with the core guys or 104m with all the extras. BEFORE CUTS.

Cuts I'd say definitely look at Parnell (1.5m), Phil Costa (1.5m), Bernie (1.4m), and Durant (1.25m).

New Cap Number would be: 98.35m.

Expected Cap Room (123-126m as cap): 24.65-27.65m in cap space.

Keep in mind this doesn't play with June 1st cuts and you still have to pay your draft class :) This DOES include dead money. As I've been telling you guys our cap situation is bad THIS year it just could get bad down the time if guys we restructure don't pay dividends.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:05 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

It's funner around here on weeks that we lose. haha.

I like seeing old guys come out again! :D
Old 12-10-2013, 02:56 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post

Imagine what this place would look like if we made the playoffs. Or even better lost a playoff game.

:P

Old 12-10-2013, 03:22 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Imagine what this place would look like if we made the playoffs. Or even better lost a playoff game.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:08 PM    (permalink
Go Cowboys
Pro Bowler

Quote:

You just like my avatar every time I poke my head out on the forums.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:20 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Either way we know this isn't going to end well..lol.
If we get in and thats a big IF, we're getting sent right out. So its inevitable.
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:53 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
You caught me. lol

It's so classic. You can't ever change it.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:54 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Thanks for posting again. Seeing that much jiggling booty keeps me from remembering the heartache of a terrible defense.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:01 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

So I hear Jerry saying the defense needs to be more aggressive today in the headlines...

I'd say the same thing goes for this damn offense too. We had the perfect game plan to win this game using our offense. Murray was eating up chunks at a time and for some odd reason, we stopped running and decided to throw an icy hard football through the air. This is CLASSIC Jason Garrett football. He ALWAYS abandons the run!

A good running offense is your best defense. If the opposing defense cannot stop your run, you rule the game! But no, we started to get cute passing the ball, had some 3 and outs, saved time on the clock for the Bears to come back and score a TD right before the half. That was essentially game over as it forced us to think we need to pass more just to catch up again. If we chew up the clock then we save ourselves from that TD.

The second half, the Bears came out and gave us a dose of our own medicine. The amount of time they chewed off the clock in the 3rd Quarter was insane and it kept our offense off the field. Gave them more confidence and they put us away.

We were aggressive running the ball with authority early on and then we shot ourselves in the foot.

BTW, what was up with Romo sailing his passes over the heads of our guys? Orton didn't have problems locking in and moving the field down for a TD. UConn guy understood the cold weather play.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:36 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Point blank though if you never force the opposition to punt you will not win. Ever.

You are absolutely correct in that we abandoned the run which increased the scoreline but the end result would have been the same. Chicago scoring on every possession. :(

It is hilarious that we went from over-aggressive (stupidly so) prior to injuries last season to wickedly under-aggressive this season. This entire team operates in the extremes.

I noticed Romo pulling his arm in early on a couple of sailed balls. Looks like him being afraid of a hit / hand on helmet. Anytime the Bears got reliable pressure inside it was trouble. Romo hates it and we've never really been able to keep a pocket in there.

Orton doesn't have that fear which is sexy. I love having good ol Neckbeard as a backup :)

Old 12-10-2013, 05:42 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Point blank though if you never force the opposition to punt you will not win. Ever.

You are absolutely correct in that we abandoned the run which increased the scoreline but the end result would have been the same. Chicago scoring on every possession. :(

It is hilarious that we went from over-aggressive (stupidly so) prior to injuries last season to wickedly under-aggressive this season. This entire team operates in the extremes.

I noticed Romo pulling his arm in early on a couple of sailed balls. Looks like him being afraid of a hit / hand on helmet. Anytime the Bears got reliable pressure inside it was trouble. Romo hates it and we've never really been able to keep a pocket in there.

Orton doesn't have that fear which is sexy. I love having good ol Neckbeard as a backup :)
Yeah, I mean if you run well, you still have to play some defense because you taking long drives is great but when you stall, and they don't EVER have to punt, at some point you have to go to the air. You can't run when they're scoring at will and eating clock on you. You have to try to match and we couldn't. If anything imo we should've thrown more in the 2nd half. A few bombs woulda been nice, I mean even if you don't complete them..cmon flags are always flyin now, get aggressive and take some shots.

Last edited by Jas : 12-10-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:13 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Some potential free agents and draft picks to target. Just forgive the guy for mentioning tight end..lol

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-biggest-needs

Another interesting article regarding the defense (breakdown) scheme or something else like the players. How about both??

http://mavericks.scout.com/2/1355564...LTWsc4.twitter

Last edited by Jas : 12-10-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:03 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
So I hear Jerry saying the defense needs to be more aggressive today in the headlines...

I'd say the same thing goes for this damn offense too. We had the perfect game plan to win this game using our offense. Murray was eating up chunks at a time and for some odd reason, we stopped running and decided to throw an icy hard football through the air. This is CLASSIC Jason Garrett football. He ALWAYS abandons the run!

A good running offense is your best defense. If the opposing defense cannot stop your run, you rule the game! But no, we started to get cute passing the ball, had some 3 and outs, saved time on the clock for the Bears to come back and score a TD right before the half. That was essentially game over as it forced us to think we need to pass more just to catch up again. If we chew up the clock then we save ourselves from that TD.

The second half, the Bears came out and gave us a dose of our own medicine. The amount of time they chewed off the clock in the 3rd Quarter was insane and it kept our offense off the field. Gave them more confidence and they put us away.

We were aggressive running the ball with authority early on and then we shot ourselves in the foot.

BTW, what was up with Romo sailing his passes over the heads of our guys? Orton didn't have problems locking in and moving the field down for a TD. UConn guy understood the cold weather play.
I thought that was one of the reasons JJ fired Rob, being too aggresive. Now he hires Kiffen and tells him hes not being aggressive enough? JJ needs to hire a HC and let him hire the rest of the staff. No more of this hiring assistants, and then the HC and having him work with whats here. This team needs an identity, we've been saying it all year. Its dysfunctional.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:47 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
I thought that was one of the reasons JJ fired Rob, being too aggresive. Now he hires Kiffen and tells him hes not being aggressive enough? JJ needs to hire a HC and let him hire the rest of the staff. No more of this hiring assistants, and then the HC and having him work with whats here. This team needs an identity, we've been saying it all year. Its dysfunctional.
I'm not convinced that Jason wasn't the one that wanted Kiffin. Knowing him from his days as an assistant in Tampa.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:36 AM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit
I'm not convinced that Jason wasn't the one that wanted Kiffin. Knowing him from his days as an assistant in Tampa.
He gushed over him deluxe at the start of the season.

I find it hard to justify this season to this point. Barring the winning record. This Defence has been without doubt one of the worst I have ever witnessed. This offence despite numbers which indicate it's a success has been average with the exception of the Denver game.

I understand injuries are an issue but at the end of the day. This offence could have won us a few more games with smarter play.

The other issue and it's a Jason Garrett issue which needs to be rectified if we are to become a better football team. And that is to beat WINNING teams. We are still yet to do that this year. We aren't going to the playoffs because we have two winning teams on our schedule and we are going to end up at .500 again for the third year.

It's time to change the coaching. It might even be time to look at the College ranks to allow a coach to come in and build a staff from the ground up.

But at the end of the day, Jerry is making the calls and feels his decisions are infallible. Garrett is still here and has been promoted on his watch. Monte was hired in place of Rob Ryan despite the fact that injuries derailed our D last year. They will probably do the same this year but Monte will be kept.

"Romo friendly" is an absolute travesty as you can try to limit his mistakes but in doing so. You limit his positives as well. And it's a tradeoff which is not taking us to 13-3 again anytime soon.

Just out of curiosity. Did we run more FB sets this week? I heard that we had signed a fullback in the mid week and we ran it really well behind Fiametta last year before going back to a Two Tight End deal. Just wondering if Murray had a great game as a result of that or just the Bears sucking against the Run.

Last edited by shane_man : 12-11-2013 at 07:33 AM.
shane_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:56 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Murray's running game wasn't helped or hindered by a FB. Some of his biggest runs were out of 2TE sets.

Honestly the Bears are atrocious against the run and nothing can be taken from it. :/

Clutts (the FB) had a couple nice blocks though and you can tell he's a FB rather than a TE or lineman playing the FB position.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:58 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

We'll be facing Flynn and Cousins in the next two. Cousins scares me a little, because he can provide a little change and spark the skins. Personally right now I'd rather face RG3. I hope Cousins is a bit rusty from sitting and comes out flat.
I guess we should look on the bright side we could be facing a healthy Rodgers and RG3.

They better gear up to stop the run in these next two. I know any QB can give us trouble but if we shut down their running games, I think we have a better chance of winning.
Hoping Claibust gets his a@# back out there, so we can put scandrick back in the slot, either way, I don't think BW Webb and Heath will see much action in these final 3, I expect moore and wilcox to be out there from now on.

I think we come back strong from the bears loss and beat the pack.

Last edited by Jas : 12-11-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:58 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

3 Stud takeaways from the Bears game.

Tyron Smith -Absolutely dominated Julius Peppers in this game. Whether it was run blocking or pass protection, Peppers was neutralized all game and in fact look flustered. Our little ole Tyron is growing up right before our eyes and it's AWESOME. Enjoy the ride for the next decade fellahs! *High 5s!*

DeMarco Murray - I know the Bears have the worst Run Defense in the league, but Murray showed toughness in breaking tackles and running tough in the cold weather. If we stuck with the run, there's no doubt this game would've turned out differently. Minnesota showed us the blueprint to beat the Bears and our coaching staff thought they could do something different. *facepalm*

Kyle Wilber - Did he catch anyone else's eye? Wilber continues to shine in Durant's absence. Racked up 10 tackles and was the most sure tackler on the field. Just a pure football guy, I'm glad he's taking this opportunity of new playing time and seizing the moment. Should allow us to cut Durant in the offseason. Draft picks panning out is EXACTLY how we start to save on our cap.