Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 12-18-2013, 08:07 AM    (permalink
Gribble
Pro Bowler

Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas View Post
http://t.foxsports.msn.com/nfl/look-...find-tony-romo

Ouch. Ordinary, theres nothing ordinary about a guy who can go undrafted and earn the QB spot for the biggest franchise in sports is there?? But after all the failures we've had at QB since Aikman, he's better than what we've had. Just not great. Not bad. But...
Seriously why did I even read that?
Old 12-18-2013, 08:19 AM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Forget it Jerry's not firing Jerry.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...wboys-gm-title
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:32 AM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lets hire Lovie Smith, make marinelli D coordinator and bring back Norv Turner to coordinate the Offense.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:00 AM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Be careful guys, the mere mention of Jerrah not being a good GM and/or agreeing with me will immediatly put you in the troll category. For the last 18 years D-Unit has an answer for our 135-135 (and counting) record and none of it is Jerrah's fault. Not the horrible drafts, not the contracts, not the coaches hes hired, not the FACT he has no clue how to evaluate talent or build a roster. Its always somebody elses fault. And for the folks that tell me to go like another team because Im not a fan of the way JJ has destroyed this franchise, i tell you the same thing. Go be a fan of a team with Brady or Peyton or maybe even Brees. Ya'll ***** all the time bout our QB so go find a better one and be a fan there. Makes as much sense doesnt it? I've been a fan of DC football since 1975. I've lived through the 1-15's and I've seen us win 5 SB's. There has NEVER been a worse time to be a fan. This once proud franchise is now the butt of jokes. A .500 franchise is what we have become and as others on here have said its not changing unless JJ does.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:06 AM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I have a question for you and you can ask your friend what he thinks about this as well.

The question is...

Did Jerry Jones only draft the players he wanted and hand pick the Free Agents signed during Garrett's reign as HC?
You mean did he do the job of a real GM? Lol. This is such a lazy argument. If he wants/needs his coach to not only coach but also to be the GM, why doesnt he just hire a real one? We all know the answer to that dont we? E G O. He cant/wont admit hes a failure at GM so we as fans just have to live with his bad decisions year after year.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 12-18-2013, 09:14 AM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
You mean did he do the job of a real GM? Lol. This is such a lazy argument. If he wants/needs his coach to not only coach but also to be the GM, why doesnt he just hire a real one? We all know the answer to that dont we? E G O. He cant/wont admit hes a failure at GM so we as fans just have to live with his bad decisions year after year.
It's all good, thats entertainment out there.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/2...good-here.html

I'm not a Jerry hater or Romo hater, I know they both have flaws, should Jerry hire a GM, I think so, yes. Does Romo have to cut down on bad throws or decisions at crucial times, yes. But I think for now we have to deal with these things as fans, what can we do?
Old 12-18-2013, 09:17 AM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
On top of being more ready for the NFL, teams are able to find out a lot faster whether they made the right choice or if they drafted a bust.

That list you made is meaningless. There will always be teams that need a QB. The day that all 32 teams have a proven franchise QB will never arrive.

However, if you look around the league only 1/3 have a long time vet at QB. The rest are all young guys.

In 2011 and 2012 alone you have 12 starting QBs.

2012 - Luck, RG3, Tannehill, Weeden, Wilson, Foles

2011 - Newton, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Dalton, Kaepernick

Did all of them work out? No. But look how fast we have an answer. In 2013, we already know who are busts. That's another reason why I say it's easier than ever before to find a QB. It doesn't take long to realize you have a dud. You keep bringing up the number of QBs we had between Aikman and Romo, but those days are long gone. It's so ludicrous to hear you bring that up trying to build a convincing argument that without Romo then the same drought will happen once again.

The college game is advancing and the NFL is adopting more of the college game... this is making it easier for teams to put rookie QBs in as starters and find out right away what they have.
So you spend a 1st round pick on a QB, pay him lots of money, and if he busts its ok because you find out a lot quicker now a days? Really? Of that list you just gave, how many of them are franchise QBs? 2 maybe 3? Just because you draft and start a rookie QB doesnt mean they are easier to find. They may be more pro ready now a days but it doesnt mean they are going to be successful.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:19 AM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
It's all good, thats entertainment out there.

I'm not a Jerry hater or Romo hater, I know they both have flaws, should Jerry hire a GM, I think so, yes. Does Romo have to cut down on bad throws or decisions at crucial times, yes. But I think for now we have to deal with these things as fans, what can we do?
Cuss and drink Lol

Old 12-18-2013, 09:27 AM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Lets talk Redskins, the thing I see from Cousins is yes, he makes some nice throws. But being off the bench or perhaps this is just an issue with him, he tends to throw picks.
So if our DB's can hang onto the ball when they get a chance and we can make em pay when they turn it over, we have a shot.
I like the match ups against their receivers, we will have to slow down Morris and cover the TE which will be a task being we don't know which LBers will be healthy enough to play.
What is Harris' status because we can hurt them on ST's if he's back.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:30 AM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

[quote=Jas;3522764]It's all good, thats entertainment out there.

Reading this article just shows what a fool JJ is.

Quote:
Speaking on his radio show on KRLD 105.3 FM in Dallas, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones on Tuesday morning said that games like this past Sunday against Green Bay make for "an exciting time" and "great entertainment"
This should piss off all Cowboy fans.

Quote:
So asked if he was worried about fan apathy, Jones said, "Not with games like the other day. That's a show, if you want to look at it that way
Quote:
"If we can get our defense patched up here, we’ve got a chance to really do something this year."
LOL the man is senile. Clueless.

Quote:
"With us not being able to stop them, we didn’t want to give them the ball back," Jones said of the reasoning to give running back DeMarco Murray only three carries in the fourth quarter of a game Dallas was leading and in which Murray finished with 134 yards on only 18 carries.

"Frankly, when they would score, I wanted to answer them. I was for the aggressiveness that we showed in the [second] half."
And we call our HC dumb?!

The JJ supporters will say you cant believe anything JJ says. Unless of coure he says something they want to hear, then his words are golden lol

Old 12-18-2013, 09:36 AM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Lets talk Redskins, the thing I see from Cousins is yes, he makes some nice throws. But being off the bench or perhaps this is just an issue with him, he tends to throw picks.
So if our DB's can hang onto the ball when they get a chance and we can make em pay when they turn it over, we have a shot.
I like the match ups against their receivers, we will have to slow down Morris and cover the TE which will be a task being we don't know which LBers will be healthy enough to play.
What is Harris' status because we can hurt them on ST's if he's back.
I see Cousins lighting us up just like every other backup QB we've faced. Morris will run it down our throats as well. You would think that going in to play a 3 win team, Cowboy fans would be confident in a victory but I have no confidence in this group of guys/coaches. We will need to score in the 30's to have a chance IMO.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:39 AM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

I believe on Offense we'll reign it in a bit again but a healthy dose of Murray maybe a good thing right now. Romo will go heavy to Witten because he'll be looking for a safe secure game this week and the skins are vulnerable to TE's. Hopefully we can work in decent play action off the run and get the WR's involved some.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:52 AM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

It would be nice if Ware and Hatcher would show up and make some plays.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:08 AM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
It would be nice if Ware and Hatcher would show up and make some plays.
Got some big decisions coming up on those 2.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:21 AM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Bryan Broaddus @BryanBroaddus
“@duckman3035: @BryanBroaddus is D Ware done or better at OLB?” Playing like he is done. Don't know where that guy was from Oxnard.
Quote:
If that's a snapshot of the future, his Pro Bowl days are over. Players don't get better when they reach their 30s. Ware's best years are behind him. Yet the Cowboys still have him on the books financially as an impact player. The salary cap is a mess and that will impede this team's ability to compete going forward. - Rick Gosselin
Quote:
Harsh, but true. As Gosselin stated, players, even legends, do not improve once they reach the back side of 30, they only decline before our eyes. As is often said, It is better to release a player a year too early rather than keep him around a year too long. Unfortunately that is something that is seldom seen in Dallas; Jerry Jones has a history of overpaying his aging talent. Far too often we here at Blogging The Boys have lamented this trend, and it would be hypocritical of us to make an exception even in the case of DeMarcus Ware.
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/...he-unthinkable
Sadly the day is coming soon when we have to start planning on not having D-Ware.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:46 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah with cap math you keep him and his absurd contract hit next year without restructuring. Then next year barring a return to form you can release him for massive savings.

With that in mind though kiss Hatcher, and any other mid-level or higher FA goodbye.

Dallas Cowboys GM -Forum Mock
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:03 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Yeah with cap math you keep him and his absurd contract hit next year without restructuring. Then next year barring a return to form you can release him for massive savings.

With that in mind though kiss Hatcher, and any other mid-level or higher FA goodbye.
Even with a return to form he'll be turning 33 that following year. Any chance hes a post June 1st cut this year?

Old 12-18-2013, 12:04 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Todd Archer ‏@toddarcher 16m
And Terrance Williams has a hamstring injury now. Might not play this week

Old 12-18-2013, 12:10 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Even with a return to form he'll be turning 33 that following year. Any chance hes a post June 1st cut this year?
Certainly. I was giving DeMarcus the benefit of the doubt that he would return to form once his stinger heals properly. Massive hole to have cutting him.

Dallas Cowboys GM -Forum Mock
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:11 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Quote:
I'd hate to even suggest this but all these hamstring injuries, and injuries in general, perhaps a sign of them losing the team?? We don't have quitters out there do we or some form of mutiny?? No..couldn't be..nah.

But WTF with the hamstrings already!!!!

And I can't even watch the game this week I'll be in Brooklyn visiting relatives for the holiday and fox is only airing the late game NY vs Detroit.

Last edited by Jas : 12-18-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:14 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Certainly. I was giving DeMarcus the benefit of the doubt that he would return to form once his stinger heals properly. Massive hole to have cutting him.
I don't see them cutting Ware before next season. I can see the debate but it doesn't seem likely to me. They'll give him one more season and evaluate it.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:28 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_man View Post
Let me first point out that Garrett is Jerry's FAULT.

In terms of discipline. He's done NOTHING to fix the problem. We had a dumb as hell offensive line for years. We replaced that line and we still make the same damn mistakes with penalties.

We still deal with indiscipline as we always have. This season seemed to stare out a little differently with players being benched for mistakes.(finally some accountability) but it didn't take into account indiscipline. It hasn't improved. We still make poor decisions on that football field that give away dumb penalties.

I can't tell you whether another coach could do a better job. Possibly. Probably. But at the end of the day. The Owner/GM is still the same. So the roster composition wouldn't change too much. And the "suggestion box" approach would still be there.
There's 2 things here that stand out to me.

1) Garrett's hiring is Jerry's fault.
This I can agree with. That said, I don't recall too much discord over the hiring in the first place. Sure, in hindsight it looks like we've wasted 7 years with this guy so Jerry must take the blame for it. Jerry made the hiring and he must live with his choice and the accept the failures as a team that stem from decisions the HC has made.

2) The roster composition wouldn't change too much.
This is where I will heavily disagree. In most cases, yes, the GM will make roster decisions. Jerry in his role as GM, has not been the most influential piece in that part of our team. Jerry gives a lot of freedom to his coaches to bring in the players they feel support the system they want to run. The scouting department is also part of it, but I really can't sit here today and say that our roster would be largely the same no matter what coach was here. Jerry is just not that kind of GM. Sure, I think he wants shiny things so he tries to pull off trades for guys like TO and Roy, but if you look at the 53 man roster and all the bodies that rotate throughout here during the season, I'd laugh at anybody who suggested Jerry orchestrated it all.

That's why I keep saying... it doesn't make sense to blame Jerry in his role as GM unless it comes to the picking of the Head Coach. Jerry doesn't even handle salary anymore... Stephen is all over that part of it. If you want to blame him on trades too, I'm ok with that... but don't forget to credit him either. Jerry the trader ain't that bad.... not at all.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:33 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Lets hire Lovie Smith, make marinelli D coordinator and bring back Norv Turner to coordinate the Offense.
I just don't get too excited about Lovie. He never won anything with the Bears.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:42 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Quote:
I just don't get too excited about Lovie. He never won anything with the Bears.
2 NFC championship game appearances, won one lost one, 3 first place finishes in the division, Idk, it's much better than what we have now.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:55 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I have a question for you and you can ask your friend what he thinks about this as well.

The question is...

Did Jerry Jones only draft the players he wanted and hand pick the Free Agents signed during Garrett's reign as HC?
Will ask my friend later as he's working but here's my response...

I would say that Jerry Jones allowed Garrett to draft/sign a few players here and there but at the end of the day, the final decision is made by Jerry Jones and that right there is the problem. The FINAL decision needs to be made by the GM who's NOT Jerry Jones in connection with whoever the head coach may be.

This says it all right here ---

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...r-the-cowboys/

The sad part is that Jerry Jones is missing the point in regards to hiring a GM...The GM ISNT supposed to ask the owner for permission or whatnot. The reason teams have a GM is to let him run the show. Jerry's main problem is that he wants to run the show and that in itself creates a bigger problem...that being he sucks at it.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote