Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-22-2007, 02:48 PM    (permalink
GoodbyeParcells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeys
Yeah I dont really want a college guy either. I was kinda hoping that we could get Jim Mora Jr but he took a job at Seattle which sucks, Im a big fan of his. Hopefully Jerruh picks someone good im sure we'll all be caught off guard as to who he chooses.
I am sure we will...he caught us all off guard with Chan Gailey.....

So I am afraid of who he will choose......I just hope its not Phillips! OMG...some people are just good assistants and thats all they ever will be...ala Norv Turner! Give me a break...Turner has been a joke ever since he left Dallas! You actually think that guy is HEAD COACH material? I guess you people really want to stay 7-9, 8-8 and 9-7 for the next five years...going nowhere but getting a crappy draft pick just like this year!
Old 01-22-2007, 02:50 PM    (permalink
BX
Veteran

BX hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

With our luck, Snyder will throw 20 million dollars at Phillips to go to Washington and become Snyders personal waterboy.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:51 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinChase
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poet3334
It's not constructive to bash Parcells and what he did, and did not do. Focus on the here and now. Who do you guys want? I'm leaning toward Ron Rivera or Rob Ryan.
Singletary or Phillips, I'm leaning Phillips. I do NOT want a college guy.
Yep. No college guy. No no no...

I've dreamt of Singletary for a long time now... starting it up last year while BP was wavering on coming back... That would be my first choice hands down.

Phillips I'm "meh" on... only good thing is success in San Diego... I think he's better DC material than HC material... but I'd be ok with him. First choice? Heck No! But I prefer bringing in a coach with a defensive mentality.
Just out of curiousity, why not a successful college coach?
The success rate is very low.

The game... the approach... the mentality... the players mentality... the owner vs the athletic director... the experience... not having coached against other NFL teams... it can be too much for a lot of great college coaches.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:00 PM    (permalink
GoodbyeParcells

Hmm I wonder what Denver Bronco fans, Falcon and Bills fans have to say about the wonderful job that Phillips did in those places going all the way back to 1994? Hmmm.......Head coach of the most visable team in all of Football? Well..If Gailey can............................
Old 01-22-2007, 03:03 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My Cowboys Big Board.

1. DeMarcus Tyler - After weighing in at the Senior Bowl at 6'2", 323, I'm in love!!!

2. Reggie Nelson - Becoming unrealistic, but still would be a great grab.

3. Daymeion Hughes - Been my #1 CB prospect since preseason... and he's done nothing to disappoint.

4. Adam Carriker - Marcus Spears is a nice role player.

5. Jarvis Moss - Lot of reasons to like this guy.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:10 PM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not against a college coach.. I think that we have to take 2 good coordinators too..we need a 3-4 guru..

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:11 PM    (permalink
Poet3334
Rookie

Poet3334 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
My Cowboys Big Board.

1. DeMarcus Tyler - After weighing in at the Senior Bowl at 6'2", 323, I'm in love!!!

3. Daymeion Hughes - Been my #1 CB prospect since preseason... and he's done nothing to disappoint.

323 huh? Nice. I am a Jarvis Moss fan. I think he'll be a better pro than college player.

"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
Albert Camus
Poet3334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:14 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

well i must say im surprised. not that parcells left but that more of you parcell supporters arent mad. heres a guy who took this job saying this was like coaching theyankees. this was his biggest challenge and he wanted to create another legacy. bottom line is we stayed mediocre under parcells. he came here to do a job and didnt finish the job. he abandoned us and took his time doing it. i say see you later bye.
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:16 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

would the universe explode if TexMex got in an argument with cowboysforever/iameverywhere? I think it might - at the very least - crash the server. Thoughts?
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:24 PM    (permalink
bigmac076
Veteran

bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Whatever we do I believe we have to keep the 3-4. We have spent the last few years reconfiguring this defensive lineup for the 3-4 and it would mean sacrificing almost 2 more seasons to get it back to the 4-3. That would mean wasting prime years of quite a few players' careers, i.e. DeMarcus Ware and Terrence Newman. We have got to stick to the 3-4, no question.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:26 PM    (permalink
iameverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poet3334
Quote:
My Cowboys Big Board.

323 huh? Nice. I am a Jarvis Moss fan. I think he'll be a better pro than college player.
Given our talent level -- a 3-4 NT with upside to back up Fergie is a great long term idea.

Yeah, I could get a Tyler man crush at that size and weight.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:27 PM    (permalink
iameverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine
would the universe explode if TexMex got in an argument with cowboysforever/iameverywhere? I think it might - at the very least - crash the server. Thoughts?
LOL. I thought I was 45 LB? Make up your mind dude! Funny.
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

IDK what to say.

I guess we all should have seen this coming...this after all was classic parcells. Just when you think he won't do something he does it. Just when it doesn't make any sense he retires. It all becomes so obvious to be now that I should have expected it but I didn't...I was blinded by the media reports and all this other bs. Well needless to say I'm heartbroken by the decision but we have nothing to do but move one.

I agree with LSU on the coaching decision.
With the names being thrown around..either
Norv as HC and Wade Phillips as DC
Rivera as HC and Norv as OC...something like that.

I'll throw Weis out as my darkhorse.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
well i must say im surprised. not that parcells left but that more of you parcell supporters arent mad. heres a guy who took this job saying this was like coaching theyankees. this was his biggest challenge and he wanted to create another legacy. bottom line is we stayed mediocre under parcells. he came here to do a job and didnt finish the job. he abandoned us and took his time doing it. i say see you later bye.
The difference is that I don't think we've been mediocre. Yeah, well... we didn't win the SB... I didn't fool myself into thinking we'd win this year...and any sooner would've been unrealistic. The team was fundametally unsound when he got here. We were damaged at the roots... at the core... at the foundation. We're no where near that now.

He didn't finish the job in many eyes... but he did finish the job in his eyes... the same way he did it with the Giants, Patriots and the same way he did it with the Jets... He's a "fix it" guy. ...and he fixed our mess too.

He's a genius. There is no better coach in the history of the NFL that has gone into losing situations and turned the team around better than Parcells has. He's always left the teams he's coached in good shape and a helluva lot better shape than when he got there... and he's left on his own terms.... How many coaches can say that? Coaches hardly ever leave on their own terms and they hardly ever leave them in better situations than when they arrived. It's EXTREMELY rare!

People are so quick to judge him off not winning the SB here... and making it sound as if he's left unfinished business. We'll in his eyes his business is done. He did what he did in the past and he's at peace with that.

So many Parcells haters have been waiting for this moment... Well... now let's see what you get... Let's see how green the other side of the fence is... Whoever it is... they are inheriting good, lush, fruitful land here in Dallas. ...can't say that was the case when BP arrived.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:31 PM    (permalink
iameverywhere

Quote:
Quote:
The difference is that I don't think we've been mediocre. Yeah, well... we didn't win the SB... I didn't fool myself into thinking we'd win this year...and any sooner would've been unrealistic. The team was fundametally unsound when he got here. We were damaged at the roots... at the core... at the foundation. We're no where near that now.

He didn't finish the job in many eyes... but he did finish the job in his eyes... the same way he did it with the Giants, Patriots and the same way he did it with the Jets... He's a "fix it" guy. ...and he fixed our mess too.

He's a genius. There is no better coach in the history of the NFL that has gone into losing situations and turned the team around better than Parcells has. He's always left the teams he's coached in good shape and a helluva lot better shape than when he got there... and he's left on his own terms.... How many coaches can say that? Coaches hardly ever leave on their own terms and they hardly ever leave them in better situations than when they arrived. It's EXTREMELY rare!

People are so quick to judge him off not winning the SB here... and making it sound as if he's left unfinished business. We'll in his eyes his business is done. He did what he did in the past and he's at peace with that.

So many Parcells haters have been waiting for this moment... Well... now let's see what you get... Let's see how green the other side of the fence is... Whoever it is... they are inheriting good, lush, fruitful land here in Dallas. ...can't say that was the case when BP arrived.
I agre that Parcells quit about a year too soon. He really should have stuck to "make up" for the 2003 and 2004 fiasco. Another year of drafting with BP would have really helped.

Let us see what Jones does..... some say he wants a big name for that big stadium and others say no b/c he wants control.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:31 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
My Cowboys Big Board.

Since when is everyone so down on Marcus Spears? Sure he's not a spectacular player, but he's done nothing wrong...that's not to say that he has lived up to his billing, but he is, after all, only a 2nd year player. Give the kid some time.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:38 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:

SUPERBOWL, THE SUPERBOWL...who said anything about winning a superbowl? how about a playoff game? how about a 11 or 12 win season?
yes the talent is better than when parcells got here but he did little with it. you guys have been saying it for awhile. he did not have the fire he had in his other stops. it seems he came here for finacial reasons got his money and left. so your right his buisness is done. hes what 15 to 20 million richer? just making a team a little better is not good enough anymore. what will you say IF he winds up coaching somewhere else? that will be the ultimate slap.
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:39 PM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

CTCowboysFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I would hate Wade Philips as our head coach so I am sure he will be just because I don't want him.

I wanted Parcells gone, but if we hire Wade Philips I will be even more upset. What is the point of hiring 60 year old coaches? That is just stupid. We are a team with young players, hardly any veterans yet we sign an old coach?

We can still hope it's not Philips but I bet you it will be.
CTCowboysFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:44 PM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

CTCowboysFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
If Parcells' retirement means the comeback of kwhy... I'm all good. LOL!

So... who exactly were the analysts saying he was coming back???

I bet there is a long list...
Adam Sheftner was the main one and I thought he was one of the most reliable analysts.
CTCowboysFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:46 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

SUPERBOWL, THE SUPERBOWL...who said anything about winning a superbowl? how about a playoff game? how about a 11 or 12 win season?
yes the talent is better than when parcells got here but he did little with it. you guys have been saying it for awhile. he did not have the fire he had in his other stops. it seems he came here for finacial reasons got his money and left. so your right his buisness is done. hes what 15 to 20 million richer? just making a team a little better is not good enough anymore. what will you say IF he winds up coaching somewhere else? that will be the ultimate slap.
We've been to the playoffs twice. If we have a 9 or 10 win season and go to the playoffs what difference is it if we have an 11 or 12 win season and go to the playoffs? None! Yes, the talent level is better NOW... but it wasn't like this BEFORE!!! Did little with it? You are an ingrate! You act like success is supposed to be automatic! He's made no more or no less than the going rate for NFL head coaches, so shut the hell up about him coming in here just to cash out. So what if he ends up coaching somewhere else? He's already committed the ulitmate slap by coaching the Cowboys after going down in Giants lore as their winningest coach. Imagine if Landry started coaching the Redskins! Loyalty in the NFL was thrown out the window a long time ago... Catch up with the times man.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:49 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

Well I've been thinking a lot about our head coaching vacancy and have come up with the following list in my head about who I'd like to be our next head coach:

1. Bill Cowher--you can't deny what the man did in Pittsburgh; he has the energy and will power to propel this team to the top; also one of the top 3-4 minds in the game.

2. Jack Del Rio--A former Cowboys player with head coaching experience and a good defensive mind...could adapt to 3-4 with a coordinator who has run 3-4 before.

3. Wade Phillips--I think Ron Rivera is actually the better defensive mind, but Phillips has the experience in the 3-4, and that is what our team is built around right now.

4. Ron Rivera--As I said earlier, a very smart defensive guy, but not a 3-4 guy...still would be interesting to see what he could do with the defense.

5. Norv Turner--Unlike some other people, I think Norv could do a good job in Dallas, especially developing Tony Romo. If we did hire Turner, we would need a coordinator with 3-4 experience.

Now, how I'd handicap the race:

1. Wade Phillips
2. Bob Stoops
3. Norv Turner
4. Jack Del Rio
5. Ron Rivera
Old 01-22-2007, 03:53 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Adam Schefter just reported on the Parcells situation.

Him and JJ had a meeting and Parcells told him he retired. Then he went to his assistant coaches and had a meeting. The meeting lasted a total of 3 minutes. He said.
"I'm spent. I have no energy mental or physically...i have nothing left...i'm done....i'm sorry. I'll do whatever I can this next week to help you guys find jobs."

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 01-22-2007, 03:55 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Don't forget that Jeff Fisher hasn't signed his extention yet...and he was supposedly JJ's main man. If I was a betting man I would put over half my marbles into Fisher as our head coach.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 01-22-2007, 03:55 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

I'm still wondering what in the world Dan Henning was talking about in that quote...how misleading was that?
Old 01-22-2007, 03:58 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ888
I'm still wondering what in the world Dan Henning was talking about in that quote...how misleading was that?
How do we even know Henning said that? I question the source.