Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-14-2014, 06:15 AM    (permalink
Gribble
Pro Bowler

Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A lot of these playoffs games have been won with pretty average performances by the QB. It's all about building the defense for us. We couldn't hang in these games because of that, not because of the offense.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:21 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post
One can easily say Romo needs to play better in situations and still say the d needs to be upgraded, coaching needs to be better, Jerry needs to be better.

That's what pocket doesn't get. Orton is completely capable of throwing 3 picks like Romo did against Washington last year to finish 8-8.
Orton probably isn't capable of what romo did in Denver or Washington this year.

It can be Romos fault we lose man. The defense can play like **** the entire game and make a big stop and romo can throw a game ending interception.

Somehow anytime we lose fault can never be pointed at romo because how bad the defense is. That's all Everyone is saying pocket. You make these little jabs at every aspect of a mediocre team except the QB.

The team has problems up and down the roster. Including Romos penchant for untimely ints. Am I happy he's on the roster as opposed to about 20 other qbs. Sure.
Its ok to point out his flaws though. Just like any other position or coaches.

This is old though. Hopefully they go heavy on defense and we see a turn around to some of these close games next year.
I asked you flat out why in your opinion we have been a .500 franchise over the last 3-4 years and your answer was QB. Dont try to flip flop now. Own it. When you have a top 10 QB and you have no running game, Defense is setting records in futility, the game plan and/or in game adjustments are questionable AT BEST, and you point to the QB as the main problem, it just doesnt make sense to me. Romo has cost us some games. Hes also put us on his back and won us some games. Hes far from perfect. When I look at this team and ask what needs to happen to get us to the next level, QB is at the bottom of the list as far as needing to be fixed. Just like the Denver game, Romo throws for 500 yards and 5 TDs but people say Romo lost the game because he threw a late pick. Never mind the D gave up 51 points and never forced a punt. Thats just stupid talk.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:23 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
A lot of these playoffs games have been won with pretty average performances by the QB. It's all about building the defense for us. We couldn't hang in these games because of that, not because of the offense.
Seems I read this recently. Your exactly right!

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 01-14-2014, 01:44 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Why are we average every year?

Quote:
Teams canít miss on first-round picks. They have to get two contracts out of them, but the last first-round pick they have extended with a multiyear deal before the rookie deal expired was DeMarcus Ware (2005). Anthony Spencer, their first-rounder in 2007, was given the franchise tag in back-to-back years but is a free agent this March. Dez Bryant (2010) figures to break that trend soon.
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas-cowbo...ce=twitterfeed

Guys like Felix and Jenkins should be our cornerstones. Instead they were busts.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:03 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
As much as we hear this is a QB driven league, the running game and defense still seems to trump all. SMASH MOUTH football is still the way to win in this league.

This is where we need to get. We cannot take Murry's high YPC rate for face value. We have more of an opportunistic running game than a take-what-we-want one. TF certainly was a big boost to our interior OL, but our Guard play, while not terrible, can stand to improve to help us get to where we need to be. I also think we need a counter to Murray, not only to keep him fresh but allow us to be more versatile.

There's also the looming need to replace him after the season. I don't think we will be able to afford to keep him around... and I question if it would be the smart thing to do. Smart teams have to find ways to develop players and then trade them to manage the cap. I'm really a fan of Murray (when he's healthy, so it's hard because of the emotional tie; and I really think he and Dez are like our version of Ray Lewis and Ed Reed.

What do you guys think about drafting a RB this year to replace Murray? Or can we wait till next year? Do you want the Cowboys to extend him if it's costly?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:45 PM    (permalink
Gribble
Pro Bowler

Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
As much as we hear this is a QB driven league, the running game and defense still seems to trump all. SMASH MOUTH football is still the way to win in this league.

This is where we need to get. We cannot take Murry's high YPC rate for face value. We have more of an opportunistic running game than a take-what-we-want one. TF certainly was a big boost to our interior OL, but our Guard play, while not terrible, can stand to improve to help us get to where we need to be. I also think we need a counter to Murray, not only to keep him fresh but allow us to be more versatile.

There's also the looming need to replace him after the season. I don't think we will be able to afford to keep him around... and I question if it would be the smart thing to do. Smart teams have to find ways to develop players and then trade them to manage the cap. I'm really a fan of Murray (when he's healthy, so it's hard because of the emotional tie; and I really think he and Dez are like our version of Ray Lewis and Ed Reed.

What do you guys think about drafting a RB this year to replace Murray? Or can we wait till next year? Do you want the Cowboys to extend him if it's costly?
I like what the Patriots, Saints, and Chargers have done with their backs. They have different roles (bruiser, slasher, 3rd down guy) and there isn't the pressure to give a guy 20 carries just because. That should be the model.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:10 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I like what the Patriots, Saints, and Chargers have done with their backs. They have different roles (bruiser, slasher, 3rd down guy) and there isn't the pressure to give a guy 20 carries just because. That should be the model.
Cheaper to keep role players too.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:48 AM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Demarco Murray as a workhorse though.

Granted he has dealt with injury issues but I honestly think he has the will and the belief to be an every-down back in this NFL. I don't think he's going to be expensive as the price for RB's has been driven down over the years due to the fact that most teams now are happy to go with anyone out of training camp.

If the cost is prohibitive. Cut your losses. But I wouldn't let him walk unless he gets a ridiculous offer.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:00 AM    (permalink
dsc1600
Veteran

dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_man View Post

Granted he has dealt with injury issues but I honestly think he has the will and the belief to be an every-down back in this NFL. I don't think he's going to be expensive as the price for RB's has been driven down over the years due to the fact that most teams now are happy to go with anyone out of training camp.

If the cost is prohibitive. Cut your losses. But I wouldn't let him walk unless he gets a ridiculous offer.
I don't think we should resign Murray, because it'll cost us, and you just don't need to spend that kind of money on a running back in today's league. Add to that, he's injury-prone and hasn't played a full year yet.
dsc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:08 AM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc1600
I don't think we should resign Murray, because it'll cost us, and you just don't need to spend that kind of money on a running back in today's league. Add to that, he's injury-prone and hasn't played a full year yet.
By letting him leave though. You risk breaking up that potential monster we have offensively. You could see it in Murray that he is just as pissed and angry about this offence not being as good as it should be as Dez is.

That's the type of fire we haven't had since Terrell Owens was around.

You can only replace runners with draft picks if you have a system that works for the runners. We have never had that. We have had 2 1000 yard rushers since Emmitt played in a Star and there is a significant difference between Murray and Julius Jones and that Murray gets his yards at a much higher YPC then Jones ever did.

Like I said. Costing is fine. If it becomes prohibitive.(more then 3-4 million a year) then you have to consider cutting him. But if we can sign him to years and 12-15 million. I think that's a win.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:54 AM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:

Ugh...I thought we just did that? Murray, Tanner, Dunbar, Randle. Now you want to draft another one? You and Jerrah really do think alike. Its no wonder 8-8 year after year is a reason for hope for you. You both see the roster as "almost there" when nothing could be further from the truth. And when was the last time we developed a player and then traded him as your suggesting? Fasano?

Old 01-15-2014, 09:58 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not exactly Cowboys related but it looks like Mike Zimmer finally is going to get his shot as a HC. Vikings are supposed to formally announce his hiring today. Hope he does well, always one of my favorite coaches.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:23 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
Not exactly Cowboys related but it looks like Mike Zimmer finally is going to get his shot as a HC. Vikings are supposed to formally announce his hiring today. Hope he does well, always one of my favorite coaches.
Loved him. Sad thing is supposedly he's an AWFUL interview. Not a whole lot of elaboration on that aside from he's rumored to be a complete egotistical asshole.

Meh. I always liked the guy and wish him well :)

Dallas Cowboys GM -Forum Mock
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:50 AM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_man View Post

Bingo. His health is a concern, but you want to keep the guy as long as he is good. Running backs decline earlier now, but the guy is still young. They don't have to go Marion Barber with him, but he'd be getting a new contract while still in his 20s. They can give him a solid contract that doesn't break the team, and if he wants big time money they can let him go. With Dunbar, Randle, and Tanner I think they're fine. Randle's issues were strictly with the line. I think the guy can be a good player if they fix that, and Dunbar could be the answer to prolonging Murray's Cowboy career. They just need a coach that's going to run more than what they do now.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:42 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
Ugh...I thought we just did that? Murray, Tanner, Dunbar, Randle. Now you want to draft another one? You and Jerrah really do think alike. Its no wonder 8-8 year after year is a reason for hope for you. You both see the roster as "almost there" when nothing could be further from the truth. And when was the last time we developed a player and then traded him as your suggesting? Fasano?
Instead of trying to turn this into another Jerry bashing topic, would you stop please?

One of the things that I have disagreed with Jerry on is our propensity hold onto players too long. Giving them contracts that end up hurting us in the long run. While they have improved, I still think they need to maintain affordability. Contracts like Austin's, Ratliff's, Romo's break the bank. What I'm suggesting is not applicable to all positions. You don't develop Tyron Smith and then trade him. So of course situations like this will be rare. Not just for the Cowboys, but for all NFL teams.

However, we have lost opportunities to trade players when their value was higher... I'm thinking of guys like Mike Jenkins, Marcus Spears, Jay Ratliff, Terence Newman, Bradie James, Andre Gurode, etc.... Instead we got a few more mediocre to bad years out of them (paid them handsomely along the way) and then lost them for nothing.

I really don't know how you have the honesty to list names like Dunbar and Tanner who were both UDFAs and a 5th rounder in Randle as examples of us already setting ourselves up to be strong at the RB position (especially without Murray).

I really do like Murray and what he adds to this team, but if he wants a contract that is handcuffing in any way, then it's not the smart move for us. The RB position is generally perishable. I think you have to be a really special back to deserve a 2nd contract. For as brittle as Murray has been for us, that is concerning to me. Even if he is an affordable buy, we need to cover our backs. That's why I think drafting a RB this year or next year is well within reason. I know that's crazy for you to think, but the running game is too critical to winning in the NFL.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:43 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
Bingo. His health is a concern, but you want to keep the guy as long as he is good. Running backs decline earlier now, but the guy is still young. They don't have to go Marion Barber with him, but he'd be getting a new contract while still in his 20s. They can give him a solid contract that doesn't break the team, and if he wants big time money they can let him go. With Dunbar, Randle, and Tanner I think they're fine. Randle's issues were strictly with the line. I think the guy can be a good player if they fix that, and Dunbar could be the answer to prolonging Murray's Cowboy career. They just need a coach that's going to run more than what they do now.
What is affordable? $2M, $3M, $4M, $5M, or more per year?
Old 01-15-2014, 12:57 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Instead of trying to turn this into another Jerry bashing topic, would you stop please?

One of the things that I have disagreed with Jerry on is our propensity hold onto players too long. Giving them contracts that end up hurting us in the long run. While they have improved, I still think they need to maintain affordability. Contracts like Austin's, Ratliff's, Romo's break the bank. What I'm suggesting is not applicable to all positions. You don't develop Tyron Smith and then trade him. So of course situations like this will be rare. Not just for the Cowboys, but for all NFL teams.

However, we have lost opportunities to trade players when their value was higher... I'm thinking of guys like Mike Jenkins, Marcus Spears, Jay Ratliff, Terence Newman, Bradie James, Andre Gurode, etc.... Instead we got a few more mediocre to bad years out of them (paid them handsomely along the way) and then lost them for nothing.

I really don't know how you have the honesty to list names like Dunbar and Tanner who were both UDFAs and a 5th rounder in Randle as examples of us already setting ourselves up to be strong at the RB position (especially without Murray).

I really do like Murray and what he adds to this team, but if he wants a contract that is handcuffing in any way, then it's not the smart move for us. The RB position is generally perishable. I think you have to be a really special back to deserve a 2nd contract. For as brittle as Murray has been for us, that is concerning to me. Even if he is an affordable buy, we need to cover our backs. That's why I think drafting a RB this year or next year is well within reason. I know that's crazy for you to think, but the running game is too critical to winning in the NFL.
First off you have to have a team willing to trade with you. Im sure we did check with other teams about trading our trash for draft picks but most GMs are smarter than that. Why give a draft pick when they know we are going to release them anyway? Most of the guys you mentioned we couldnt trade because we didnt have a capable backup waiting either. I agree with needing a running game but unfortunatly our HC doesnt agree. No sense having Adrian Peterson if your only going to give him 12 carries a game. IMO we shouldnt draft a RB this year. See how next year plays out and make a decision after that.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:20 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Count me as one of those so-called experts that was beyond shocked at the selection when Jerry Jones traded back in the 2013 NFL Draft and selected Travis Frederick in the first round. In the days leading up to the draft, I thought center was a position of need, but I was more willing to address it more likely in the third or fourth rounds.

But to their credit, the Cowboys had a second round grade on Frederick and once they got past the 18th pick of the draft, they were looking at second round players. Once they dropped to 31, their intention was clear.

For Jason Garrett, Frederick was a day one starter and he never looked back. For a rookie, there was a calmness to his game. It was rare that he looked rattled, confused or out of sorts in his play. From his first snap in rookie minicamp, you could tell that this job would not be too big for him. He was confident and composed making line calls and it gave the offensive line a stable player inside.
Good read on Fredrick and the rest of the Oline.
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/ar...dium=twi tter

Old 01-15-2014, 02:47 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
First off you have to have a team willing to trade with you. Im sure we did check with other teams about trading our trash for draft picks but most GMs are smarter than that. Why give a draft pick when they know we are going to release them anyway? Most of the guys you mentioned we couldnt trade because we didnt have a capable backup waiting either. I agree with needing a running game but unfortunatly our HC doesnt agree. No sense having Adrian Peterson if your only going to give him 12 carries a game. IMO we shouldnt draft a RB this year. See how next year plays out and make a decision after that.
You're missing the point. The idea is to trade them BEFORE they look like trash. ...AND/OR DON'T give them them overbloated contracts.

I don't think you can be afraid of having a capable backup waiting. You have to use the picks you get for them to do that. The key is continuing to make good picks.

I might be going crazy here, but you sound like you're defending Jerry. LOL.

I say draft a RB that can compete with Murray. You don't need to do that in the 1st 3 rounds, but you have to increase the competition. If we wait till next offseason, Murray will have MORE leverage for getting a new/high priced contract. I say don't wait. He saw what happened with Felix Jones. A new RB in the fold can put the right kind of pressure on.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:49 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pocket wants to draft all defense. Nevermind the boys are one back spasm from trotting out Williams and cole Beasly.
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:35 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post
Pocket wants to draft all defense. Nevermind the boys are one back spasm from trotting out Williams and cole Beasly.
Not true. I'd love another OG. Im guessing you didnt learn any lessons from this year? Most yards given up in the history of the franchise. Watching almost every decent QB we faced going for 400+, giving up 30-51 PPG.

Oh but I keep forgetting, QB is our #1 problem. Silly me.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:46 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
You're missing the point. The idea is to trade them BEFORE they look like trash. ...AND/OR DON'T give them them overbloated contracts.

I don't think you can be afraid of having a capable backup waiting. You have to use the picks you get for them to do that. The key is continuing to make good picks.

I might be going crazy here, but you sound like you're defending Jerry. LOL.

I say draft a RB that can compete with Murray. You don't need to do that in the 1st 3 rounds, but you have to increase the competition. If we wait till next offseason, Murray will have MORE leverage for getting a new/high priced contract. I say don't wait. He saw what happened with Felix Jones. A new RB in the fold can put the right kind of pressure on.
You'd have to give me some examples. I mean after Austin was given a shot and he goes for 250 yards against KC are we supposed to trade him? And if we do and he blows up over the next 5-6 years how stupid are we going to look? Just doesnt seem like that goes on very often if at all except for QBs.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:23 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

^^ Newman(should've never gotten the new contract), Ratliff(same as Newman), Jenkins, Marty B(pretty solid rumors of offers jerry passed up on), Bowen, Victor Butler(who's starting in NO) to name a few....even players that are busts had some rumor trade attempts like Tashard Choice and Felix Jones.

Trade Newman, or Rat, or Marty B for picks instead of letting them age or go be starters elsewhere and that's how you build through the draft...and keep the salary cap under control.

JG holds on to players longer then he has too...he needs to leave the sentiment out of personnel moves.

Quote:
Not true. I'd love another OG. Im guessing you didnt learn any lessons from this year? Most yards given up in the history of the franchise. Watching almost every decent QB we faced going for 400+, giving up 30-51 PPG.

Oh but I keep forgetting, QB is our #1 problem. Silly me.
I've stated my stance on QB, Romo should be the QB for the next few years, but having a 34 year old with two back surgeries is scary....It's not a pressing need but I don't want the FO to reach for positions of need. What's so hard to understand about that?
Drafting heavy on Dline would be great, but if there's an instance where a offensive skill position drops and is the BPA...I'd hope the Boys would look long term, and not simply go all defense.

That goes for QB, WR, RB, or Oline.....anything except a TE honestly...
The majority of our draft should be some combination of DE/DT/LB'ers and Safety....but for some reason you seem to believe that if we stray in anyway from our "needs" it's a failed draft.

Last edited by FreshBoy! : 01-15-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:24 PM    (permalink
Rev Bolyard
Rookie

Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.

Defense is an undoubted weakness of the team, but the previous year it was the offensive line. I think you can address several concerns on the team with a solid draft and you don't NECESSARILY have to focus on one position or side of the football. For instance, as Scott has mentioned on his podcast, this looks to be an INCREDIBLY deep class at both receiver AND runningback. So if we were to stay where we currently are with 1 pick a round (2 picks for the 7th), then landing some combination of say 2 defensive linemen and maybe a safety in the first 3 rounds, THEN grabbing a receiver and possibly a runningback somewhere between rounds 4 through 6 even though they may be 2nd-4th round values makes a TON of sense - it's EXACTLY what they did last year with Williams and Randle. Grabbed both a round LOWER than what I would say most expected their value to be. Of course that meant they also grabbed players like Fredrick and Wilcox a round HIGHER than most pundits expected because those positions generally have VERY poor depth in the draft.

This draft could very well line up exactly as the last draft - with all those top defensive linemen Dallas fans wanted either being gone or still being on the board at a position where Dallas isn't comfortable drafting them. Clowney, Barr, and Mack will almost certainly be gone. If last season is any indication, Jernigan and Hageman will too. Tuitt may slip, but I'm not sure he's a perfect fit for this front. Do they take the best player available? Hope that a team wants to trade up to get a player they fell in love with? Or do they trade down and hope that Ealy, or Murphy, or Pryor (I realize he's a safety) are still there and that their value would match. Or do they trade down to see all those players taken as well and draft a Donald or a Sutton a half a round to a round earlier than their value suggests they should go?

At the end of the day we can all agree this one draft can't fix EVERYTHING that ails Dallas:
  • Everyone would probably like a young, developmental QB - but that's a luxury unless Romo's injury worries you.
  • I've already seen another runningback mentioned. Tanner provides nothing. Randle is still unproven and a late round pick. Murray hasn't proven he can stay healthy. Dunbar had a few good plays often offset by fumbling.
  • Receiver. Can always use another one. Rid ourselves of all the false hopes and dreams we have for Miles. Leaves Harris to be your special teams ace/return guy while playing 15 or so snaps at receiver and let's you be conservative with your use of Beasley who I haven't seen do all that many great things from his slot position so far.
  • Tight end. We kept 4 most of last season. And you'll eventually need a replacement for Witten and a compliment to Escobar. And Hannah has been terrible.
  • Offensive Tackle, because you have nothing behind the current starters and since you don't know which Doug Free you're getting next year.
  • Offensive Guard. Leary was okay, but didn't wow. Bernie played better after getting benched, but he's a journeyman. Also no depth here.
  • Defensive End. So you have a broken down Ware; a serviceable Selvie, and an unproven Crawford coming off a serious injury. This is a pretty large problem.
  • Nick Hayden. He started off well, but tailed off as nagging injuries mounted. He's basically Selvie of the defensive tackles. He would be MUCH better as a rotational player and NOT the starter. Then you have the oft injured Ben Bass. And Crawford maybe. This is also a pretty big problem. Probably need to aquire 2 of these minimum in the offseason.
  • Bruce Carter was apparently highly overrated coming out of college. All we heard about him was how out of place he was in a 3-4. He was going to be the prototype of weakside linebackers in a 4-3 front. What we got was a mixed bag of missed assignments, poor coverage, terrible angles, and the occasional clutch stop. I like Carter, but I suspect he may be much more akin to a Aaron Curry than a Derrick Brooks. Weakside backer is a problem (but not one of the biggest on the defense) and Ernie Sims is bad at football.
  • We have one of the best inside linebackers in the league in Sean Lee. Sean Lee can't stay healthy. When Sean Lee is in the game our defense wasn't very good, and when he wasn't in the game our defense wasn't very good. I'm not sure what metric quantifies his importance, but it was repeatedly pointed out that our defense suffered more when the person responsible for the MLB calls missed time after getting most of the practice time there. We slid a lot of players around but perhaps we need a solid (maybe veteran) backup here.
  • Cornerback. I've always felt that when you have a position that you often have 4 or 5 players the fill roster spots for (like receiver), you keep drafting them. I didn't think Sterling Moore played terribly, and am still not sure why he wasn't kept after the preseason. Who knows if he returns. Even if he does, BW Webb clearly needed a "redshirt" year coming from a small school. Scandrick played as good as he ever had, but was picked on at critical times and seemed to let a few touchdowns past him that looked defendable. Brandon Carr looked absolutely lost in press, man off, zone... whatever. Claiborne can't stay healthy. An effective passrush and Claiborne staying healthy improves this unit tremendously. As you can't count on either, you keep drafting corners.
  • And then there's safety. Church is yet another serviceable player. In this day and age of the salary cap, you can't have a blue chip stud at every position. Sometimes you have to fill spots with bodies. Church is a body. Every other safety on the roster is worse than that. Wilcox, like Church is a strong safety who is better served in the box or constatly attacking down hill. That said, he seems to have some playmaking in him and still has some incredible upside. Heath is a guy. You want to like him, but he should always be that try hard 4th or 5th safety on your roster that you NEVER want starting long term. Matt Johnson matches Wilcox in terms of upside. He can't seem to stay healthy. This could be the year everything clicks, or he could be cut before they break training camp. Danny McCray is not very good at football. I think the "special teams" guy has always been overrated. If he can't help on offense or defense and doesn't kick or snap or return the ball, he's a liability and you find another player. I think you draft another player here and sort out what you have with Church/Wilcox/Johnson/new guy. Heath is a bubble player and a guy you certainly keep if you decide to jettison Johnson.

That list includes 13 roster spots (I think) that could be improved by next season in a perfect world. Obviously it's NOT a perfect world and with only 8 picks and limited salary cap space you're certainly going to be pinched. Add to that whatever salary cap cuts may occur (aside from Miles as I mentioned above) and EVEN MORE spots could need filled.
Rev Bolyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:31 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

Great post!!