Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-15-2014, 04:45 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post
^^ Newman(should've never gotten the new contract), Ratliff(same as Newman), Jenkins, Marty B(pretty solid rumors of offers jerry passed up on), Bowen, Victor Butler(who's starting in NO) to name a few....even players that are busts had some rumor trade attempts like Tashard Choice and Felix Jones.

Trade Newman, or Rat, or Marty B for picks instead of letting them age or go be starters elsewhere and that's how you build through the draft...and keep the salary cap under control.

JG holds on to players longer then he has too...he needs to leave the sentiment out of personnel moves
No, what Im asking is who HAS been traded that were in their prime for draft picks? Not a problem maker like Moss or T.O. Give me a team that does that and who did they trade? I know Balt traded Boldin but only got a 7th for him. Seems like Madden ideas to me.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:57 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Reggie Bush to the Dolphins(forget what they gave), Ocho Cinco for a 5th and something else, Greg Olson for a 3rd, Trent Williams....for a 1st.

I mean we're not talking elite players in their primes....These aren't Herschel Walker type deals.... But it happens...There's been rumors of offers for Rat, Jenkins, Choice, Marty B, etc...etc. You're kidding if you don't think a team would give up a late round for Rat before his last contract.

I never agreed we should've traded Austin. He deserved his chance to start and ended up disappointing. That's the game...but giving large contracts to players hitting the downside of their careers IS a jerry problem that I agree with.

Last edited by FreshBoy! : 01-15-2014 at 05:06 PM.
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:28 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Reggie Bush to the Dolphins(forget what they gave), Ocho Cinco for a 5th and something else, Greg Olson for a 3rd, Trent Williams....for a 1st.

I mean we're not talking elite players in their primes....These aren't Herschel Walker type deals.... But it happens...There's been rumors of offers for Rat, Jenkins, Choice, Marty B, etc...etc. You're kidding if you don't think a team would give up a late round for Rat before his last contract.

I never agreed we should've traded Austin. He deserved his chance to start and ended up disappointing. That's the game...but giving large contracts to players hitting the downside of their careers IS a jerry problem that I agree with.
Quote:
On July 28, 2011, the Saints traded Bush to the Miami Dolphins for reserve safety Jonathon Amaya and a swap of 6th round draft picks.
Quote:
Chad Johnson had played 10 years and received a big contract by Cinn
Quote:
Olsen was traded after the bears hired Martz and he didnt fit his system
Quote:
Trent Williams is still a Redskin unless you know something I dont know.
Just dont see it. Its easy to say we should have traded Rat the way it played out but I didnt hear that at the time we resigned him. Using that logic we should trade Dez while his value is high and before we give him a big contract, right?

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 01-15-2014, 05:47 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Darren Woodson experienced the glory. He suffered through the despair. The Cowboys soared and crashed during his 12-year run at safety.

As the downward spiral occurred, the current ESPN analyst immediately recognized the problems that afflicted the franchise soon after it collected three Super Bowl trophies in the 1990s. Bad drafts. Poor management of the salary cap. An aging roster. And veteran players who turned complacent. By 2002, when they finished 5-11 for the third consecutive season, the Cowboys had hit rock bottom. The next season Bill Parcells arrived.

“When they brought in Bill Parcells, I was the happiest guy in the room,” Woodson said.

Why?

Because, according to Woodson, the Cowboys were at their best when they were led by a no-nonsense authority figure who wielded power. That was the case when Jimmy Johnson resurrected the organization after it crumbled in the final stages of Tom Landry’s reign.

“I think if you look at those years from ‘89 to ‘95 or ‘92 when Jimmy was involved to when Parcells came in the early 2000s, I think you’ve got to look at it and say those were our most successful years in the last 20 and in those two instances we had two coaches that dominated the locker room, that changed the culture in the locker room,” said Woodson, a current ESPN analyst. “Jimmy was a guy who held everyone accountable from Troy Aikman to the punter, Mike Saxon. Parcells was exactly the same way. He held everyone accountable. He had control over the draft. Jimmy had control over the draft. He had control over his own personnel. If you weren’t playing well, well, you get the boot, find yourself on the street. That’s when they were most successful. When no one can circumvent the coach is when they were very strong as an organization. Outside of that, they have been extremely average.”

How average?

The number of postseason victories Johnson secured in his five-year tenure with the Cowboys is higher than the combined total of all of the coaches that followed him, including Parcells.

“We lost a lot of years in which this organization could have gotten back on its feet,” Woodson said.

And years later, the Cowboys still remain down for the count.
http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/20...ccessful.html/

JJ hated those years even with all the success. Dont ever see him hiring that type of coach again.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:53 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sorry..that was Trent Richardson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
Just dont see it. Its easy to say we should have traded Rat the way it played out but I didnt hear that at the time we resigned him.
Sure I did...
Quote:
Soo....question for everybody.

Ratliff just turned 30....he's ridiculously underpaid for his productivity.

What's the consensus on what Jerry & Co. should do? This is very telling in how the Cowboys do business compared to say...the Pats or Eagles. Now is the time you can get a decent draft pick or two for him.....

Oh and...Choice is injured again...or maybe he's not...and they're holding him back for a "business decision" again...
See?

Quote:
Using that logic we should trade Dez while his value is high and before we give him a big contract, right?
Is Dez 30? Or near 30? Is he looking for his second payday with his better years probably behind him, like Ratliff, or Newman?
No? Then at least compare apples to apples.

Dog....You can't keep moving the goal posts....
I never said we'd be garnering #1 picks for elite players in their prime. I simply said there's been a market for a litany of players that the Cowboys either a) let go for nothing to FA, or b) gave a huge contract too at the downside of their careers.

I'm saying Jerry has been very bad about this, I'm agreeing with you that as a GM over the years that this has been a fatal flaw of the Boys.
That we need to build for the future through the draft...
That we need to make "tough decisions" with players even if we may end up with players having a great season elsewhere(Ware).

Last edited by FreshBoy! : 01-15-2014 at 07:09 PM.
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:05 PM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit
What is affordable? $2M, $3M, $4M, $5M, or more per year?
3-4 million a year and four years. Front loaded to.(not sure if we even do contracts like that anymore.)

I'm thinking 10 million over first two years and 3-4 over the final two years.

Anything more and I think he's asking for it. I would even maybe give incentives on top of those figures which are makeable if he plays.
250,000 for 16 games
250,000 for 12 TD's
500,000 for 1500 Rushing yards

All payments that you would be happy to pay out.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:50 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Sorry..that was Trent Richardson.

Sure I did...

See?

Quote:
Nice call but if Rat had just turned 30, I doubt they would have gotten anything of value for him. Maybe a 6th? Nobody was trading for Newman IMO. So who on the team currently would you want to trade for draft picks that other teams would want and not mess up our cap or theirs?
Is Dez 30? Or near 30? Is he looking for his second payday with his better years probably behind him, like Ratliff, or Newman?
No? Then at least compare apples to apples.

Dog....You can't keep moving the goal posts....
I never said we'd be garnering #1 picks for elite players in their prime. I simply said there's been a market for a litany of players that the Cowboys either a) let go for nothing to FA, or b) gave a huge contract too at the downside of their careers.

I'm saying Jerry has been very bad about this, I'm agreeing with you that as a GM over the years that this has been a fatal flaw of the Boys.
That we need to build for the future through the draft...
That we need to make "tough decisions" with players even if we may end up with players having a great season elsewhere(Ware).
Quote:
The flaw is we miss on far to many draft picks and when you do that you have to resign these guys or youll have nothing. If teams are offering us picks for some of these guys and we arent doing it then yeah, we are dumb. I just dont believe thats the case. *shrugs*

Old 01-15-2014, 09:56 PM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I vividly remember us being offered at least a second for Marty B(two years in a row as well). That was a high profile example of missing an opportunity to at least make our pick back from a position drafted that didn't really need to be drafted.

We could have gotten at least a 4th round pick back for Choice when we weren't going to give him the starting role. He had suitors.

That would be two examples where we had offers on the table for players and we chose to let them walk a year or two after for peanuts.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:29 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
What is affordable? $2M, $3M, $4M, $5M, or more per year?
Beats me. I gave up trying to understand the salary cap a long time ago. All I really understand nowadays is that there is a big gap between elite money, "good" money, what's affordable, and cheap money for a position. For running backs I think Murray should get paid something that guarantees him top 15 money while giving him incentives to get paid higher if he balls out in a big way. The guy can put up the numbers, but his injury history means that he probably won't bank big unless he leads the league in rushing next year.

I think that it would be mutually beneficial for a reasonable extension to happen for both parties. Murray probably won't get paid too high on the open market because of his injury history in addition to the perceived lower value for running backs these days, and the Cowboys probably don't want to part with their best running back since Emmitt. I think something will get done, but if it hurts the team in the long run we'll see. I don't want them to give him a contract that holds the salary cap back, but at the same time I don't want to give up Murray.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:15 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Just dont see it. Its easy to say we should have traded Rat the way it played out but I didnt hear that at the time we resigned him. Using that logic we should trade Dez while his value is high and before we give him a big contract, right?
It's like you haven't been reading a thing or don't comprehend it.

Certain positions and players are more perishable than others. I don't like when you say "using that logic..." because you're flat out terrible at making the right connection most of the time. Dez was a 1st rounder and is the best playmaker on the team at a difficult position to develop. Murray was a 3rd rounder, hasn't shown enough durability, and plays the very replaceable position of RB.

We shouldn't trade every player we develop. Nobody is saying that. Having the sense of mind to do it where it makes sense is the trick. You can't do it to everyone and you can't sit around waiting for offers to come to you. You have to pin point candidates and you have to shop them around. Patriots are classic examples.

If we draft a RB this year we have the potential to:
1) Improve our running game
2) Add versatility to our running game
3) Keep Murray healthy
4) Lower Murray's role/stats = Lower Murray's next contract

If we don't then we face the same issues we had when we missed Murray for 4 games last season and 2 games this season. 8-8 seasons. I really did think that with an improved interior OL, Tyron taking the next step, Free bouncing back and more weapons for Romo that we would at least make a 1 game improvement and finish 9-7. But we didn't see it. Meanwhile teams with strong running games and a balanced pass attack own the league. Missing Murray is starting to make me think THAT has been a major factor in finishing 8-8 this year despite our woes on D. We had injury issues last season and were 8-8, so that factor is a constant.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:40 AM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

Quote:

Certain positions and players are more perishable than others. I don't like when you say "using that logic..." because you're flat out terrible at making the right connection most of the time. Dez was a 1st rounder and is the best playmaker on the team at a difficult position to develop. Murray was a 3rd rounder, hasn't shown enough durability, and plays the very replaceable position of RB.

We shouldn't trade every player we develop. Nobody is saying that. Having the sense of mind to do it where it makes sense is the trick. You can't do it to everyone and you can't sit around waiting for offers to come to you. You have to pin point candidates and you have to shop them around. Patriots are classic examples.
I don't have an argument with this notion at all personally. And again like you said. It's in application.

You can't trade Dez Bryant at any point. He's too damn valuable.

But pretty much any TE is up for grabs.

Same reason why Barbie Carpenter should have been traded when we could still pick up a second or third rounder for him. But we couldn't trade Jenkins because at that position you can't just change people in and out at will.(not to mention he looked great for a year or two there.)

Quote:
3) Keep Murray healthy

If we don't then we face the same issues we had when we missed Murray for 4 games last season and 2 games this season. 8-8 seasons. I really did think that with an improved interior OL, Tyron taking the next step, Free bouncing back and more weapons for Romo that we would at least make a 1 game improvement and finish 9-7. But we didn't see it. Meanwhile teams with strong running games and a balanced pass attack own the league. Missing Murray is starting to make me think THAT has been a major factor in finishing 8-8 this year despite our woes on D. We had injury issues last season and were 8-8, so that factor is a constant.
I don't understand how adding a 4th Running Back is going to improve the running game?

Unless you plan to cut a few guys during this close season. In which case it becomes a matter of we know what we have. Do we want to go to what we don't know?

I like our running attack at the moment. I like the balance we have. I feel like we don't need to worry about it too much. It's probably out of all the positions on the field the least needed for reinforcements and drafting.

P.S if any player is needed. Can't we just pick someone up off the FA scrap heap? What's the point in wasting a draft pick?
Old 01-16-2014, 09:45 AM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

Jason Hatcher off a career year but on the wrong side of 30?

Henry Melton coming off an injury plagued season but 4 years younger then Hatcher.

If given the choice(knowing you haven't yet seen what Melton could do in this D). Where do you go?
Old 01-16-2014, 09:45 AM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:

3) Keep Murray healthy

So if we draft another RB we have the potential to have a better running game? Lol Duh. Just like if we draft two DTs, DE, a Safety and a LB we have the potential to be a much better D. I'm saying its not worth drafting a situational RB over Defensive help. As far as trading guys, it's really a moot point. Our GM keeps his "stars" he doesn't trade them. He'll trade for other teams but he's not trading ours.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:05 AM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good move by the vikes, wish we would've been this smart. They're about to do(Zimmer and Norv) what I hoped we would've done. Oh, well, lol.
You never know how things will work out, it may not but IMO better than our current situation with Garrett and Callahan

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...nesota-vikings
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:17 AM    (permalink
Rev Bolyard
Rookie

Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.Rev Bolyard could make a wolverine purr.

So can anybody explain to me what happened with the Free contract situation? Did that have any negative cap ramifications going forward or rather than restructure his contract, did they simply redo the entire thing?
Rev Bolyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:25 AM    (permalink
BroadcasterC
Rookie

BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Cowboys aren't extending murray. He'll be a 28 year old RB with a history of injuries and we have no cap space and we need to re-sign Dez and Tyron Smith to HUGE deals.

I like Murray, but there is no chance in hell he's a Cowboy in 2015. Get everything we can get out of him in a contract year, and then bye bye. Pick a RB in the 3rd round this year or heck even go for Gurley/Yeldon next year.

Shouldn't even be a discussion. Murray will have another jersey on his back in 2015.
BroadcasterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:17 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadcasterC View Post
The Cowboys aren't extending murray. He'll be a 28 year old RB with a history of injuries and we have no cap space and we need to re-sign Dez and Tyron Smith to HUGE deals.

I like Murray, but there is no chance in hell he's a Cowboy in 2015. Get everything we can get out of him in a contract year, and then bye bye. Pick a RB in the 3rd round this year or heck even go for Gurley/Yeldon next year.

Shouldn't even be a discussion. Murray will have another jersey on his back in 2015.
The only way I see it logical to keep him is if he starts playing in a time share next season. His value will go down and make him more affordable.

I don't really like the idea of Gurley/Yeldon because that means we're heading into the offseason hurtin' for a RB. Murray will have a ton of leverage in that situation and we really need to be spending our high picks on positions other than RB. For all we know it might even be QB.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:28 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
So if we draft another RB we have the potential to have a better running game? Lol Duh. Just like if we draft two DTs, DE, a Safety and a LB we have the potential to be a much better D. I'm saying its not worth drafting a situational RB over Defensive help. As far as trading guys, it's really a moot point. Our GM keeps his "stars" he doesn't trade them. He'll trade for other teams but he's not trading ours.
This is what I've been sayin'. lol. I don't agree with it all the time. It's one of the things about Jerry that I don't like. If we extend Hatcher that's just another case of messing up, imo. Let's look at the draft and move beyond him.

...and for clarity sake, I'm not saying we need to draft a "situational" RB as in a one dimensional back nor am I saying we need to spend a high pick on RB. However, I think it suits us best to establish a strong RB by committee approach. NE and DEN are doing it right. I like Dunbar, but as we saw this season, we need more than him. ...and between he and Joseph neither do enough to imagine them being the lead backs for us if Murray leaves. Tanner is very expendable.

I know you don't think it's worth it because you only think of the draft to address needs NOW. Good GMs look at the draft for the now and the future.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:04 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas View Post
Good move by the vikes, wish we would've been this smart. They're about to do(Zimmer and Norv) what I hoped we would've done. Oh, well, lol.
You never know how things will work out, it may not but IMO better than our current situation with Garrett and Callahan

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...nesota-vikings
Quote:
Norv Turner returning to Valley Ranch to run the Dallas Cowboys' offense just made too much sense.

So of course it won’t happen.
Quote:
There’s no good reason for the Cowboys failing to make an attempt to bring back the best offensive coordinator in the franchise’s history. It’s silly to keep Bill Callahan around to call the plays for Garrett’s offense -- an odd fit anyway considering Callahan’s West Coast offense background -- instead of having one of the original architects of the offense fill that role.
Quote:
How much would Tony Romo have benefited from working with a playcaller whom Troy Aikman gives much of the credit for his success? How much better could Dez Bryant have been with an offensive coordinator who helped Michael Irvin set a bunch of franchise records and Cleveland’s Josh Gordon become the NFL’s receiving leader this season?
Quote:
If Jones doesn’t trust Garrett enough to choose his own coordinators, he should have just fired his head coach. Maybe then the Cowboys could have hired Zimmer, a former Dallas defensive coordinator who would have been on the short list of candidates, and made the no-brainer decision to bring Turner back to Valley Ranch.
Things like this is why we are where we are and will continue to be.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:42 PM    (permalink
BroadcasterC
Rookie

BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The only way I see it logical to keep him is if he starts playing in a time share next season. His value will go down and make him more affordable.

I don't really like the idea of Gurley/Yeldon because that means we're heading into the offseason hurtin' for a RB. Murray will have a ton of leverage in that situation and we really need to be spending our high picks on positions other than RB. For all we know it might even be QB.
That simply makes no sense. If Murray is splitting carries, why would you sign him? Why would you pay a 28 year old running back more than the veteran minimum to not be the workhouse, and he obviously is going to get more than the league minimum. It's just a stupid waste of cap space when we're going to need every dollar to keep Dez and Tyron Smith.

It just makes absolutely no sense both economically and football wise to re-sign DeMarco. I like him as a player, but it isn't happening. Pick a guy in the 3rd round making 450,000 a year with Dunbar and Randle still on the roster and that's fine. The veteran minimum for a 4 year vet is around 850,000, so even if you DeMarco got that, which he's going to get way more on the open market, it still wouldn't be cost effective.

He's an NFL runningback, and he was a 24 year old rookie. He's going to be looking for his only payday, and someone will give him a decent contract. DeMarco Murray is gone in 2015. No more need to even discuss it. If they re-sign him to a multiyear deal worth 3+ million a year then Jerry and Stephen have learned nothing from the past decade of horrible contracts.
BroadcasterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:31 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadcasterC View Post
That simply makes no sense. If Murray is splitting carries, why would you sign him? Why would you pay a 28 year old running back more than the veteran minimum to not be the workhouse, and he obviously is going to get more than the league minimum. It's just a stupid waste of cap space when we're going to need every dollar to keep Dez and Tyron Smith.

It just makes absolutely no sense both economically and football wise to re-sign DeMarco. I like him as a player, but it isn't happening. Pick a guy in the 3rd round making 450,000 a year with Dunbar and Randle still on the roster and that's fine. The veteran minimum for a 4 year vet is around 850,000, so even if you DeMarco got that, which he's going to get way more on the open market, it still wouldn't be cost effective.

He's an NFL runningback, and he was a 24 year old rookie. He's going to be looking for his only payday, and someone will give him a decent contract. DeMarco Murray is gone in 2015. No more need to even discuss it. If they re-sign him to a multiyear deal worth 3+ million a year then Jerry and Stephen have learned nothing from the past decade of horrible contracts.
If we sign him to $3M a year yes, that would be too much.

That's why it makes sense to lower his value by putting him in a time share. He's a big asset for us when he's healthy. If we can keep him at an affordable price, then that's good for us. To say there is absolutely no way to keep him... I don't really buy that right now. There are ways, but we have to put things in motion now before he gains too much leverage.

If in the end, we can't afford him then fine, but we both agree drafting a RB this summer puts us in the best situation to give US the leverage instead of vice versa. Maybe that RB does to Murray what Murray did to Felix.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:55 PM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

Quote:
If we sign him to $3M a year yes, that would be too much.

That's why it makes sense to lower his value by putting him in a time share. He's a big asset for us when he's healthy. If we can keep him at an affordable price, then that's good for us. To say there is absolutely no way to keep him... I don't really buy that right now. There are ways, but we have to put things in motion now before he gains too much leverage.

If in the end, we can't afford him then fine, but we both agree drafting a RB this summer puts us in the best situation to give US the leverage instead of vice versa. Maybe that RB does to Murray what Murray did to Felix.
Putting him in a Time Share doesn't make sense from a footballing standpoint though. We play better when Murray takes a majority of the carries.

Drafting a RB gives us NO leverage whatsoever. It gives Murray even more of an incentive to hit free agency and AGAIN we get nothing for an asset that we had no intention of keeping(based on the fact that we drafted his replacement).

Comparing Murray to Felix is odd given that Felix was NEVER seen as a workhorse back. Felix was always drafted to be the change of pace back(which makes drafting him in the first round stupid beyond all belief).

Dedicating 3-4 million a year for your workhorse back when you plan to supplement him with draftees and off the street players is financially sound when looking at the overall commitment to the position.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:55 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_man View Post
Putting him in a Time Share doesn't make sense from a footballing standpoint though. We play better when Murray takes a majority of the carries.

Drafting a RB gives us NO leverage whatsoever. It gives Murray even more of an incentive to hit free agency and AGAIN we get nothing for an asset that we had no intention of keeping(based on the fact that we drafted his replacement).

Comparing Murray to Felix is odd given that Felix was NEVER seen as a workhorse back. Felix was always drafted to be the change of pace back(which makes drafting him in the first round stupid beyond all belief).

Dedicating 3-4 million a year for your workhorse back when you plan to supplement him with draftees and off the street players is financially sound when looking at the overall commitment to the position.
You're going to eliminate the unknown just like that? How do you know a RB can't come in and help us just as much as Murray does? Denver is better with Knowshon, but they still put Ball out there. New England runs Ridley, Blount and Vereen. I'm sure we don't have to go through the concept of RBBC approaches being successfully used throughout the NFL. There's nothing wrong with time shares from a "football standpoint".

Why do you think Murray would have more incentive to leave? Do you think he's a selfish kind of guy or something? Is there going to be a lot of teams seeking to sign him as their workhorse back anyways? I see that unlikely. Better odds that he'll be a part of another RB committee. Here's a question I got for you. What kind of draft pick do you think we could get if we traded him now? Curious to know what you think we'll be losing out on if he leaves for nothing next year.

When I compared him to Felix, I compared the situation. Not the player. You are right. He's nothing like Felix. Without Murray, the Cowboys would've been worse off that season when Felix went down. We already know that not having Murray for a few games each year turns out costly for us. I hope we have learned from those lessons.

Murray hasn't had a healthy season since he arrived. It makes sense that not forcing him out there all the time might actually help him stay healthy all the way through, no?
Old 01-17-2014, 12:18 AM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

Quote:
You're going to eliminate the unknown just like that? How do you know a RB can't come in and help us just as much as Murray does? Denver is better with Knowshon, but they still put Ball out there. New England runs Ridley, Blount and Vereen. I'm sure we don't have to go through the concept of RBBC approaches being successfully used throughout the NFL. There's nothing wrong with time shares from a "football standpoint".
Except there is nothing about our offensive approach or the players on the roster which suggests this might be successful. And I know with Murray shouldering the load. We have a 1000 yard rusher without too much effort.

Quote:
Why do you think Murray would have more incentive to leave? Do you think he's a selfish kind of guy or something? Is there going to be a lot of teams seeking to sign him as their workhorse back anyways? I see that unlikely. Better odds that he'll be a part of another RB committee. Here's a question I got for you. What kind of draft pick do you think we could get if we traded him now? Curious to know what you think we'll be losing out on if he leaves for nothing next year.
I think we could get what we drafted him for. 3rd or 4th round pick. He's shown value leaguewide when given an opportunity to run the ball enough and most teams value that. As opposed to trading for a part time back. They may use him in a platoon but his value is as a workhorse.(if the platoon starts getting injured or lack of success)

I think he recognises where his value is and if you draft ANOTHER guy to come in and compete with him(or RBBC) he's going to leave in Free Agency for the first contract thrown his way.

You could see in his passion towards the end of last season when they kept going away from him. He wants the ball in his hands. He's our best option with the ball in his hands at the end of the game.

Quote:
When I compared him to Felix, I compared the situation. Not the player. You are right. He's nothing like Felix. Without Murray, the Cowboys would've been worse off that season when Felix went down. We already know that not having Murray for a few games each year turns out costly for us. I hope we have learned from those lessons.

Murray hasn't had a healthy season since he arrived. It makes sense that not forcing him out there all the time might actually help him stay healthy all the way through, no?
I think you have to live with the injuries. He's got a quality about him where even if you know he's prone. You accept it and try and live through it with the hope that what you have can cover(which I think it can at present).

Now unlike Marion who I always said should be kept below 20 carries to truly make use of his skillset. I think Murray actually requires 20+ carries to make use of his. (In that he doesn't tire[unless he's run for 250 yards already], He doesn't put his body in a position to get beaten up.) He's very Emmitt esque in that regard.

I'm not going to say he's Adrian Peterson or anything silly like that. I do however think he's in the same mould in that you can't afford to take carries away from him.

I personally see drafting another runner would be a waste of a pick. I think we should look to resign him this year(before the draft) and add another three years to his contract at a 9-12 million. If he doesn't bite. Then definitely move on and consider drafting another runner. Agressively chase down a draft pick for him.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:37 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_man View Post
Except there is nothing about our offensive approach or the players on the roster which suggests this might be successful. And I know with Murray shouldering the load. We have a 1000 yard rusher without too much effort.

I think we could get what we drafted him for. 3rd or 4th round pick. He's shown value leaguewide when given an opportunity to run the ball enough and most teams value that. As opposed to trading for a part time back. They may use him in a platoon but his value is as a workhorse.(if the platoon starts getting injured or lack of success)

I think he recognises where his value is and if you draft ANOTHER guy to come in and compete with him(or RBBC) he's going to leave in Free Agency for the first contract thrown his way.

You could see in his passion towards the end of last season when they kept going away from him. He wants the ball in his hands. He's our best option with the ball in his hands at the end of the game.

I think you have to live with the injuries. He's got a quality about him where even if you know he's prone. You accept it and try and live through it with the hope that what you have can cover(which I think it can at present).

Now unlike Marion who I always said should be kept below 20 carries to truly make use of his skillset. I think Murray actually requires 20+ carries to make use of his. (In that he doesn't tire[unless he's run for 250 yards already], He doesn't put his body in a position to get beaten up.) He's very Emmitt esque in that regard.

I'm not going to say he's Adrian Peterson or anything silly like that. I do however think he's in the same mould in that you can't afford to take carries away from him.

I personally see drafting another runner would be a waste of a pick. I think we should look to resign him this year(before the draft) and add another three years to his contract at a 9-12 million. If he doesn't bite. Then definitely move on and consider drafting another runner. Agressively chase down a draft pick for him.
Sounds good shane. I might disagree a little, but I definitely respect your opinion.

I'm a huge fan of Murray so I hope things work out like you say. Trust while squinting and praying. Would love nothing more than to have him have his first healthy 16 game+ season and then resign for cheap. :)

Last edited by D-Unit : 01-17-2014 at 01:40 AM.