Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-25-2014, 10:44 AM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll simply say we have a difference of opinion, and leave it at that.
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:12 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post
Absolutely...I LIKE the Escobar pick, I think it's forward thinking and goes against the thinking that you need to fill every immediate need. It's foresight...I want to see him on the field as much as possible. I think he has the potential to stretch the middle of the field more than Witten.

I just don't have faith in the coaching staff to utilize him correctly. Much like Demarco, and Dez during certain stretches. If Linehan can do that...then he's a welcome addition. Dez should be every bit the weapon Calvin Johnson is in Detroit.

Time will tell though.
It really will be a sad testament if we don't do what many other teams do with their TEs. Escobar is a hybrid TE/WR and we should use him as much.

You're very justified to have doubts in this coaching staff... as I share those feelings.

Last edited by D-Unit : 01-25-2014 at 12:16 PM.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:14 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
There are too many chefs in the kitchen, but Linehan really knows the passing game. Detroit has been a really good offensive team under him.
Sounds like a Jerry Jones' move and I agree with you, it is too many chefs in the kitchen which is more likely to lead to disaster than solid game calling.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:27 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Sounds like a Jerry Jones' move and I agree with you, it is too many chefs in the kitchen which is more likely to lead to disaster than solid game calling.
Not uncommon to have a passing game coordinator and a running game coordinator. Parcells did it here with Sean Payton PGC and Tony Sparano as our RGC. I think Mo Carthon was the RGC before Sparano.

I know things are looked differently when Parcells does things versus Jerry doing things because of the perception that an owner shouldn't be involved. People need to get over it.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:00 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Actually think it's a JG move. Which is why it hasn't happened. Think Jerry is trying to force Callahan.
Hope Jerry gives JG every opportunity to succeed or fail in his last year, which includes picking his staff.
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:02 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know if JG has the ability to run a 3 man coordinating crew. They already have had problems in the past with getting plays in before the clock runs out. Thankfully drafting Frederick has helped that, but adding another cook to the kitchen may bring some of those problems back.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:06 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
I don't know if JG has the ability to run a 3 man coordinating crew. They already have had problems in the past with getting plays in before the clock runs out. Thankfully drafting Frederick has helped that, but adding another cook to the kitchen may bring some of those problems back.
That was due to the type of play calls. They used to call out every part of the play with zero abbreviations. This season they switched to a streamlined system like the Patriots use and it let Romo have 5-7 seconds at the line prior to the snap.

Frederick certainly took away the element of surprise from Costa snapping. :)

Dallas Cowboys GM -Forum Mock
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:42 AM    (permalink
GoonSquad
Rookie

GoonSquad GoonSquad GoonSquad GoonSquad GoonSquad GoonSquad GoonSquad GoonSquad GoonSquad GoonSquad GoonSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Not uncommon to have a passing game coordinator and a running game coordinator. Parcells did it here with Sean Payton PGC and Tony Sparano as our RGC. I think Mo Carthon was the RGC before Sparano.

I know things are looked differently when Parcells does things versus Jerry doing things because of the perception that an owner shouldn't be involved. People need to get over it.
This.

It happens all the time. It has even begun trickling down into the high school levels.

Much easier to have an expertise in one aspect of the game rather than trying to find an offensive mastermind.
GoonSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:29 PM    (permalink
Crimson79
Rookie

Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

SI's 2013 draft redo.

20. Chicago Bears

(Original pick: Kyle Long, G, Oregon)

Re-do pick: Travis Frederick, C, Wisconsin

Though some considered him to have gone too high, Long proved to be a very solid choice for the Bears and helped improve their problematic offensive line. We could easily stand pat with him to Chicago at No. 20. But Frederick, taken 31st by Dallas, was an even better find, and premium centers seem more difficult to find these days than premium guards. The Cowboys earned quite a bit of derision when Frederick's name was called on draft night, but the joke was on everybody but Dallas.

27. Houston Texans

(Original pick: DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson)

Re-do pick: Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor

By season's end Williams had emerged as a reliable and oft-targeted weapon for Tony Romo in Dallas, where he was second only to Dez Bryant in terms of receiving yardage at wide receiver. The Texans wouldn't be in position to re-select Hopkins in this scenario, but Williams' rookie-year production (44 catches for 736 yards and five touchdowns) would have aided the cause downstate in Houston. Every facet of Williams' game showed steady improvement last season, and he's got solid No. 2 receiver potential.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...#ixzz2rXDRQB7R

Last edited by Crimson79 : 01-26-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Crimson79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:11 PM    (permalink
crisco0710
Rookie

crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll be excited if we get Linehan, simply because I don't think we'll ever see Dez "disappear" the way he has in the past. Linehan knew what made the Lions offense go, and it was centered around getting the ball to Calvin.

These are just rumors right now and if it doesn't happen soon, I doubt it will.
crisco0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:21 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisco0710 View Post
I'll be excited if we get Linehan, simply because I don't think we'll ever see Dez "disappear" the way he has in the past. Linehan knew what made the Lions offense go, and it was centered around getting the ball to Calvin.

These are just rumors right now and if it doesn't happen soon, I doubt it will.
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowbo...nehan-is-hired

If Callahan has an ego, let him go. He's not good enough to put up with.

The way I read it is that Jerry wants Bill and Jason doesn't. So Linehan is supposed to be the middle ground. I hope it happens soon.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:49 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Callahan is reportedly a top target of the Browns for their OC job. Please GOD let this happen.

Linehan >>>>>>>>>>> Callahan. Gels nicely with Garret too :)

Old 01-27-2014, 02:59 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Callahan is reportedly a top target of the Browns for their OC job. Please GOD let this happen.

Cool rumor!

*get on knees to start praying*
Old 01-27-2014, 04:12 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I'm not sure that I would be so quick to kick Callahan out the door so quickly. He has done a really good job developing the young pieces on our O-line. Tyron and Fred Beard look like they could be perennial Pro Bowlers, not to mention Leary who decent for an undrafted FA.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:17 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
I'm not sure that I would be so quick to kick Callahan out the door so quickly. He has done a really good job developing the young pieces on our O-line. Tyron and Fred Beard look like they could be perennial Pro Bowlers, not to mention Leary who decent for an undrafted FA.
My issue isn't his OL coaching abilities. He is VERY good at that. His work as an OC/play-caller were not impressive however. He supposedly is furious with Jerry/Jason about potentially giving play-calling duties to Linehan if he signs. If he balks at the time adding another competent offensive mind I'll happy escort him out.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:23 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The problem with all of this is the guy that doesnt make decisions anymore isnt letting his HC hire and fire who he wants. Last year JG wanted Norv and Jerry said no. This after JJ made JG give up the play calling duties. Dysfunctional. If Garrett doesnt want Callahan, he should be able to surround himself with the coaches he wants. You think Jimmy or Bill would be having these issues? Not a chance.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:29 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't really get the big deal about who is calling the plays. It is all still JG's offense and ultimately he has as much input on the daily gameplan as the guy calling the sheet.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:16 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
I don't really get the big deal about who is calling the plays. It is all still JG's offense and ultimately he has as much input on the daily gameplan as the guy calling the sheet.
Quote:
Callahan was always complimentary of the chance to call plays, saying the Cowboys were running their offense and not Garrett's.

However, it appears Garrett wasn’t happy with the results and is trying to make changes. At last week’s Senior Bowl practices, Garrett and Jones said Callahan would return but stopped short of saying what his duties would be.
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowbo...nehan-is-hired

As far as OL goes, Callahan has been good, but that's where it starts and stops. Just not enough. He got a chance to run his stuff last year but it came to the point where we were wishing Garrett would take his role back! lol.

Linehan sounds like he will bring the concepts that I've always loved.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:18 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
The problem with all of this is the guy that doesnt make decisions anymore isnt letting his HC hire and fire who he wants. Last year JG wanted Norv and Jerry said no. This after JJ made JG give up the play calling duties. Dysfunctional. If Garrett doesnt want Callahan, he should be able to surround himself with the coaches he wants. You think Jimmy or Bill would be having these issues? Not a chance.
Functional is not letting your inexperienced HC do anything he wants (especially since he hasn't won in 3 years). Functional is GM and HC working together. It sounds like the Linehan plan is the happy medium. I think the task of getting Callahan on board is where the stall is happening.

You say Bill wouldn't be having these issues, and you said in the past that this would be a case of too many chefs.... Well.... Bill came in with a winning resume and demanded respect. Then he proceeded to install a Passing Game Coordinator and Running Game Coordinator. Go fit that into your puzzle.

Last edited by D-Unit : 01-27-2014 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:22 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Functional is not letting your HC do anything he wants. Functional is GM and HC working together. It sounds like the Linehan plan is the happy medium. I think the task of getting Callahan on board is where the stall is happening.
Norv >>>>>>> Linehan.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:24 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
Norv >>>>>>> Linehan.
Norv is Monte Kiffin on offense.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:38 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
mike fisher @fishsports

Breaking: Source tells me #Cowboys hiring of Scott Linehan so close that he's at Valley Ranch right now @1053thefan
Nice! Good addition.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:19 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wish it was somebody who had a history of being committed to the run but he's better then Callahan at least. I think it's Romo more then anything who makes Dez disappear because if he sees double coverage he checks out into the single coverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:37 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Nice! Good addition.
I hope to wake up tomorrow to GREAT NEWS!

Quote:
Linehan was the first person to hire Garrett as a coach in the NFL, selecting him to be Miami’s quarterbacks coach when he was the Dolphins offensive coordinator in 2005. Linehan was so impressed with Garrett than he hired him 10 hours after meeting him. When Linehan later became head coach of the St. Louis Rams, he unsuccessfully tried to hire Garrett as his offensive coordinator.

Garrett has credited Linehan with being one of his offensive influences. If he is hired to call plays, which is a strong possibility, he would be the Cowboys third play caller in three seasons.
http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/20...-linehan.html/

Last edited by D-Unit : 01-27-2014 at 11:42 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:43 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Heh... I guess it already happened a couple hours ago! Woot woot!

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/...ffensive-plays

NFL.com is now reporting that the hire has been made. Linehan, the former Lions offensive coordinator and Rams head coach, will call the plays for the Cowboys.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...-scott-linehan

Last edited by D-Unit : 01-27-2014 at 11:46 PM.