Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-30-2014, 06:10 AM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_man View Post
You have to start winning before you give credit to someone else.
True but we can also wait to see how it works or doesn't before we discredit the attempt to change things.

I don't know how it will go, could be a mess, could be a success and we can all have our opinions about it, but at least they made some changes.

Does anyone think it should've remained the way it was??
Jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:31 AM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas
True but we can also wait to see how it works or doesn't before we discredit the attempt to change things.

I don't know how it will go, could be a mess, could be a success and we can all have our opinions about it, but at least they made some changes.

Does anyone think it should've remained the way it was??
Absolutely should not have stayed the way it was last season. Don't misunderstand my comment for negativity about the coaching change. It does sound like a "Too many chefs" situation but at the end of the day. Barring what Minnesota has done this offseason. I feel like we have made the best moves going forward for our coaching situation(barring the obvious which was firing Garrett).
Old 01-30-2014, 10:43 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
Jerry IS the problem. My hope is his next coach will fix the problem with his own staff, personnel moves, and firey demeanor. A HC that will become the face of the franchise instead of a yes man. We'll see if JJ has learned his lesson or not by his next hire.
It's all Jason's staff now.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:45 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_man View Post
Absolutely should not have stayed the way it was last season. Don't misunderstand my comment for negativity about the coaching change. It does sound like a "Too many chefs" situation but at the end of the day. Barring what Minnesota has done this offseason. I feel like we have made the best moves going forward for our coaching situation(barring the obvious which was firing Garrett).
What is with this "too many chefs" idea? There are some big named staffs all over the league. Why is it an issue here? Cause that's what ESPN spins?
Old 01-30-2014, 03:31 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
It's all Jason's staff now.
Quote:
In speaking with ESPN's Chris Mortensen, Jones said, "you just have to let your head coach have that latitude."

Well, it's about time. It should have happened before this with other coaches not named Johnson and Parcells. But the Cowboys don't need applause for allowing Garrett the right to make changes on the staff he felt necessary. Shouldn't that always be the case?
For those that believe Callahan is the reason for our improved Oline play
Quote:
If you are looking for an unsung hero in the improvement of the Cowboys offensive line and run game in 2013, then look at assistant line coach Frank Pollack. He had more day-to-day control with them than Callahan. He had more game-day control of the group than Callahan. Callahan's duties of the playcaller during the week and during the game did not allow him to be involved as much, but the line and run game improved greatly from the previous year when he was completely involved with the line and run game.
Quote:
The Cowboys are doing Callahan wrong by making him stay, but Stephen Jones told Mort that "we kept our promise that nobody was getting fired." Well, you don't have to fire Callahan. You can just let him leave. It's the same way you let John Garrett leave last year. He wasn't "fired" either. By the way, is it comforting to know that you can have the worst defense in the NFL and the worst in franchise history and not be fired?
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas-cowbo...ce=twitterfeed

Thats why there are to many chefs. Coaches are here that dont want to be. Whats the point in that?

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:32 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Refusing to let him go is different from Callahan wanting to go. I have yet to hear any legit report that says Callahan actually wants out.

There is so much gossip out there, who knows how to decipher...

Bottom line is it's on Garrett to make sure things work. There are a bunch of titles being thrown out there, but if Garrett is comfortable with the roles each have and those in the roles are comfortable too, then there shouldn't be any cancers. ...and right now Garrett sounds like he's not worried.

On Marinellli...

Quote:
“Rod’s responsibilities will be those typical for a defensive coordinator,” Garrett said Tuesday evening. “He’ll be the point person on defense all throughout the offseason and game-planning and certainly on game plan when he calls the defense.”
On Kiffin...

Quote:
“Kiff has been such an instrumental piece for us transitioning from the 3-4 to the 4-3 defense,” Garrett said. “No better guy than Monte Kiffin to help us do that and spearhead that transition. And that transition continues. He’ll oversee the coaches coach and providing a different perspective than he had last year. He has invaluable experience as our defense continues to grow.”
On Linehan...

Quote:
“We’re excited about Scott Linehan,” Garrett said. “He’s one of the best coordinators in this league and has been for a number of years. I had the good fortune of working with him in 2005 in Miami. He was our coordinator and I was the quarterback coach. I worked very closely with him and have a great deal of respect for him. His track record speaks for itself. We think he’s a great addition to our staff.”

“The roles and responsibilities will be similar to what we had a couple of years ago with Scott being in the role I was in,” Garrett explained. “As passing game coordinator, he will call the plays and work closely with Bill Callahan and the rest of the offensive staff in a role we’re comfortable with. He has a comfort level with our system and the language and terminology of our system. That transition we think will be fairly smooth. The perspective and ideas he brings, we think will be a positive thing for our team.”
On Callahan...

Quote:
Callahan will remain as the offensive coordinator/offensive line coach. Garrett said he sees this current setup as very similar to what was in place two seasons ago when Garrett called the plays and Callahan remained the OC and coached the line. Now, Linehan will be the play-caller but will work alongside him.
Finally...

Quote:
“Embracing your role is a critical piece to this,” Garrett said. ”As coaches and players, we do that all the time. We’re excited to get going and build on positive things we’ve done. You’re always trying to build chemistry on your football team. Every day is an opportunity to do that.”
Old 01-30-2014, 05:58 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

JG the boss!
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:01 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Refusing to let him go is different from Callahan wanting to go. I have yet to hear any legit report that says Callahan actually wants out.

Bottom line is it's on Garrett to make sure things work. There are a bunch of titles being thrown out there, but if Garrett is comfortable with the roles each have and those in the roles are comfortable too, then there shouldn't be any cancers. ...and right now Garrett sounds like he's not worried.

On Marinellli...

On Kiffin...

On Linehan...

On Callahan...

Finally...

Sounds like Garrett has no say in this and he is being held hostage. Damn you Jerry Jones! (sarcasm)

I'm excited :)

Dallas Cowboys GM -Forum Mock
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:18 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Sounds like Garrett has no say in this and he is being held hostage. Damn you Jerry Jones! (sarcasm)

Remember when we started Dink-and-Dunking everything and we all looked at each other and said... Take Bill off and put Jason back on as playcaller?

I do. The fact that we got Linehan who will take us vertical again and get the Dez involved early and often has me thinking we have right the ship again. The more I read about him, the more excited I get!

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2011/1...-lions-offense

Quote:
I remember sometime last offseason there was a debate here on POD about what to call this offensive system. Is it a West Coast or a Spread or even an Air Coryell? The answer is that Scott Linehan runs a system that takes into account all of the major passing offenses, including a few college ones. The great thing about having such a versatile and open-minded coordinator is that you can fit multiple pieces -- even the ones that arenít currently on your roster -- into your offense quickly.

...Still, I would classify the Lions as an Air Coryell team if you were to put a gun to my head and told me to pick one scheme. This is still the Calvin Johnson and Matthew Stafford show in Detroit, and this team is fueled by big vertical plays on offense most of the time. The Lions are second in the league in passing plays of 40 or more yards this season with 15; just one behind the New York Giants for the most in the NFL.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:29 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

On Marinellli...

On Kiffin...

On Linehan...

On Callahan...

Finally...
Do you work for Dallas Cowboys PR? Full spin control Lol.

Quote:
Callahan isnít happy with the move and wants out, but Jones wonít let him interview elsewhere.
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowbo...ue-dysfunction

Quote:
The Cowboys are doing Callahan wrong by making him stay
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowbo...say-needs-more

Quote:
the Cowboys are preventing Bill Callahan from moving on when his authority on offense is about to be usurped. According to a source, the Cleveland Browns were denied permission to speak with Callahan about joining their staff. The Baltimore Ravens were reportedly blocked from talking to Callahan as well. It is well within the Cowboys' rights to keep Callahan, but in doing so they are potentially creating a miserable situation that can adversely affect the entire team.
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas-cowbo...lahan-decision

Dont let facts get in the way of a good story though.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 01-30-2014, 06:31 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:

What does this even mean? Who said anything about Garrett?

Old 01-30-2014, 06:34 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Remember when we started Dink-and-Dunking everything and we all looked at each other and said... Take Bill off and put Jason back on as playcaller?

I do. The fact that we got Linehan who will take us vertical again and get the Dez involved early and often has me thinking we have right the ship again. The more I read about him, the more excited I get!

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2011/1...-lions-offense
Any concerns about our running game? Detroit wasnt exactly known as a running team.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:35 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Do you work for Dallas Cowboys PR? Full spin control Lol.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowbo...ue-dysfunction

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowbo...say-needs-more

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas-cowbo...lahan-decision

Dont let facts get in the way of a good story though.
I don't make it a habit of letting BSPN form my opinions. You should try it. You linked me to journalists opinions. Not Bill's.

If Callahan wanted out, don't you think we would hear it from him? If he's on board, then what's there to argue about?
Old 01-30-2014, 06:37 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I enjoy how Pocket takes opinion articles from ESPN and touts them as "facts".

Linehan is going to bring back play-action and vertical passing. WHY ARE WE COMPLAINING ABOUT THIS xD

Dallas Cowboys GM -Forum Mock
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:45 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Any concerns about our running game? Detroit wasnt exactly known as a running team.
No concerns. In fact, I'm more excited. How long have we sat here knowing how good a receiver Murray is out of the backfield only to see him not being used that way?

Well Linehan WILL use it that way. He did it with Bush, he did it with Best, he did it with Stephen Jackson and he did it in Minnesota with Michael Bennett.

That's not to say Murray will mostly be used that way. Linehan has shown commitment to running the ball. Murray ran it 217 times last season. Stephen Jackson ran it 346, 237, and 253 times under Linehan. Even Bush ran it 223 times.

My only thing is... Do I want Murray running it that much? Will he be durable enough? Will he succeed too much so that we won't be able to afford him? Another Pro Bowl season for Murray and he's looking at a big payday. I still think drafting another RB is wise. Start looking boys!
Old 01-30-2014, 06:49 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I enjoy how Pocket takes opinion articles from ESPN and touts them as "facts".

Linehan is going to bring back play-action and vertical passing. WHY ARE WE COMPLAINING ABOUT THIS xD
Yeah, those guys from Dallas that are at valley ranch everyday covering the team know nothing. Guys like you have all the behind the scene info

Old 01-30-2014, 06:50 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I don't make it a habit of letting BSPN form my opinions. You should try it. You linked me to journalists opinions. Not Bill's.

If Callahan wanted out, don't you think we would hear it from him? If he's on board, then what's there to argue about?
Yeah they probably just made that up. They are just local guys that have nothing better to do LOL

Old 01-30-2014, 06:51 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
No concerns. In fact, I'm more excited. How long have we sat here knowing how good a receiver Murray is out of the backfield only to see him not being used that way?

Well Linehan WILL use it that way. He did it with Bush, he did it with Best, he did it with Stephen Jackson and he did it in Minnesota with Michael Bennett.

That's not to say Murray will mostly be used that way. Linehan has shown commitment to running the ball. Murray ran it 217 times last season. Stephen Jackson ran it 346, 237, and 253 times under Linehan. Even Bush ran it 223 times.

My only thing is... Do I want Murray running it that much? Will he be durable enough? Will he succeed too much so that we won't be able to afford him? Another Pro Bowl season for Murray and he's looking at a big payday. I still think drafting another RB is wise. Start looking boys!
Unless something bad happens, hes going to get paid one way or another IMO.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:56 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Reggie Bush played well when he was healthy...Linehan got him in space much more often than we saw Demarco or Dunbar.

I'm pumped...it really can't be any worse than the first 6 games of last season. Callahan is terrible.

Pocket...you really sound like you just hate every aspect of the Cowboys right now. You say you want a "non-yes man" HC, picked by Jerry...but then want to completely **** on JG for asserting his will on Jerry. I don't think Callahan is about to sabotage the remainder of his career because he's "unhappy"(which is unverified). He's not like a player in the locker room that's guaranteed millions already. He's coaching for his next job offer...Despite the often talked about scenario of "unhappy employees not giving their all"...That's a bunch of poppycock...if he's an adult and has any pride at all, he'll be unhappy, ***** about it to his wife for a day or two...and go into work 50-60 hrs a week for a cool million for a years worth of work. People who make FARRR less do it daily.
Callahan will be fine.

I hope this is the year offense turns the corner. Between that and the simple laws of statistics saying the boys can't POSSIBLY sustain as many injuries on defense...leads me to a hopeful 2014-15 season.
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:04 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Unless something bad happens, hes going to get paid one way or another IMO.
Do you hope that team is us?
Old 01-30-2014, 07:08 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post
Reggie Bush played well when he was healthy...Linehan got him in space much more often than we saw Demarco or Dunbar.

I'm pumped...it really can't be any worse than the first 6 games of last season. Callahan is terrible.

Pocket...you really sound like you just hate every aspect of the Cowboys right now. You say you want a "non-yes man" HC, picked by Jerry...but then want to completely **** on JG for asserting his will on Jerry. I don't think Callahan is about to sabotage the remainder of his career because he's "unhappy"(which is unverified). He's not like a player in the locker room that's guaranteed millions already. He's coaching for his next job offer...Despite the often talked about scenario of "unhappy employees not giving their all"...That's a bunch of poppycock...if he's an adult and has any pride at all, he'll be unhappy, ***** about it to his wife for a day or two...and go into work 50-60 hrs a week for a cool million for a years worth of work. People who make FARRR less do it daily.
Callahan will be fine.

I hope this is the year offense turns the corner. Between that and the simple laws of statistics saying the boys can't POSSIBLY sustain as many injuries on defense...leads me to a hopeful 2014-15 season.
Totally right about coaches. They NEVER want to sabotage or lose. Their careers are dependent upon it. The coaching fraternity is too tight to be known as a coaching cancer.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:14 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post

Callahan will be fine.

I like the fact that JJ gave into Garrett and let him hire HIS playcaller. I dont like that he waited until the last year of his contract to do it. If the offense is successful and we go 8-8 again it wont really matter will it? Garrett didnt fire Ryan and Garrett didnt volunteer to give up play calling or want Callahan to do it. To little to late? We'll see.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:17 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Do you hope that team is us?
I love me some DeMarco but I wouldnt break the bank for him. Hes not an AD and RBs are pretty easy to find. His age will be a concern also.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:22 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I like the fact that JJ gave into Garrett and let him hire HIS playcaller. I dont like that he waited until the last year of his contract to do it. If the offense is successful and we go 8-8 again it wont really matter will it? Garrett didnt fire Ryan and Garrett didnt volunteer to give up play calling or want Callahan to do it. To little to late? We'll see.
The offense had bouts of failure here and there last year, but as a whole they still finished near the top of the league in offense. I can't sit here today and say that our failures last year was because are blamed on the offense. Is there plenty of room to improve? Yes, but our 1st, 2nd and 3rd reasons why we failed last year was due to our defense.

I dunno... if you hear Rob talk about it, it certainly sounded like Jason fired him. ...and we all know Monte was Jason's hire.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:48 PM    (permalink
Gribble
Pro Bowler

Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We have the right people in place now. It may be a dysfunctional, odd way of doing things in Dallas but these coordinators are really good - we have to admit that. We will be a playoff team if health cooperates.