Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 02-22-2014, 06:09 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas View Post
The risk you take when you fall in love. But I'm no stranger to heartbreak, c'mon I'm a cowboy fan..
True enough. =)

I'll be extremely happy if we land any of my top 3 DTs to be honest. Donald, Jernigan, or Hageman. I have complete faith in Marinelli to get the most out of whoever we draft anyhow.

I would LOVE to get a hold of Sutton in the mid rounds if he slips though. Have Marinelli call him and let him know he needs to start running every day until training camp and get to his old weight without losing strength.

Dallas Cowboys GM -Forum Mock
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:14 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I know they meet with a lot of the players, so it may not mean all that much but I'm starting to get that slam dunk kind of certainty we had with Tyron Smith that year.
-----------------------------------------

Pittsburgh defensive tackle Aaron Donald spoke about his size, or lack thereof, what he has to prove at the combine, and why he might like to play for the Cowboys.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/multime...c-79b9839d2611
I m pretty sure your only allowed to interview up to 60 prospects.I know thats still a lot though.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:20 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
True enough. =)

I'll be extremely happy if we land any of my top 3 DTs to be honest. Donald, Jernigan, or Hageman. I have complete faith in Marinelli to get the most out of whoever we draft anyhow.

I would LOVE to get a hold of Sutton in the mid rounds if he slips though. Have Marinelli call him and let him know he needs to start running every day until training camp and get to his old weight without losing strength.
I could live with Jernigan, and I like Sutton a lot.
To me and I said this awhile back those are the 3 best fits for us Donald, Jernigan and Sutton.
I agree with the point about Marinelli, he'll get them to reach their potential.

When it comes to Donald, if they want him they got him the only team that could mess it up would be Chicago and if they do
Old 02-22-2014, 06:32 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm honestly not worried if we pass on DT in the first round, we could possibly even pass in the second round without issue. It will be addressed a some point and Marinelli has a track record of coaching up guys wherever he has gone.

As long as we are getting good talent. I am a happy guy.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:48 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
I'm honestly not worried if we pass on DT in the first round, we could possibly even pass in the second round without issue. It will be addressed a some point and Marinelli has a track record of coaching up guys wherever he has gone.

As long as we are getting good talent. I am a happy guy.
Yeah, overall I won't argue that, but becareful, that attitude in that draft room will get us another TE, CB or QB early. I want talent but I want holes to be filled with that talent.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:03 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah, overall I won't argue that, but becareful, that attitude in that draft room will get us another TE, CB or QB early. I want talent but I want holes to be filled with that talent.
Exactly. Lets hold off on the "talented" backups this draft please.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 02-22-2014, 07:54 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
Exactly. Lets hold off on the "talented" backups this draft please.
Outside of TE, QB, MLB and maybe WR we can upgrade just about every position on this team. Even with that listing I think you could make the argument to draft an eventual replacement for Romo or another WR as an insurance policy if Dez isn't able to be re-signed.

Not saying that is the route I'd want to go but they are viable options.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:33 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The only position I could see where they take a backup high would be QB. Lets say Manziel or Bridgewater fall to 16. With Romo's back and age it might be worth a shot. I wouldn't take them since Donald being there is a damn near perfect fit for a huge need, but if they got someone like Manziel in an Aaron Rodgers type fashion where he sits a few years wouldn't piss me off.

Beyond that I want them to focus on needs. DT is the biggest, and there's an abundance of guys there early.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:45 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Idk, I think outside of a possible upgrade at G and a speed receiver at some point in the draft, the offense is good. My problem with the O was play calling and utilization. Hopefully Linehan will resolve that. Imo, the rest of the picks, especially early should be defensive heavy. Now if Orton doesn't come back you may have to figure QB into the mix.

Last edited by Jas : 02-22-2014 at 09:51 PM.
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:51 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
The only position I could see where they take a backup high would be QB. Lets say Manziel or Bridgewater fall to 16. With Romo's back and age it might be worth a shot. I wouldn't take them since Donald being there is a damn near perfect fit for a huge need, but if they got someone like Manziel in an Aaron Rodgers type fashion where he sits a few years wouldn't piss me off.

Beyond that I want them to focus on needs. DT is the biggest, and there's an abundance of guys there early.
The only way I would be ok with that is if we went into full blown rebuilding mode. That means cutting Ware, letting Hatcher and spencer walk and not restructuring Witten. If we are going to do it then lets do it all the way. Bite the bullet and hopefully be serious condtenders in 3 years with a young team. Otherwise I want no part of the positions WHof mentioned

Old 02-23-2014, 04:52 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The only way I would be ok with that is if we went into full blown rebuilding mode. That means cutting Ware, letting Hatcher and spencer walk and not restructuring Witten. If we are going to do it then lets do it all the way. Bite the bullet and hopefully be serious condtenders in 3 years with a young team. Otherwise I want no part of the positions WHof mentioned
Serious question...without solely blaming Jerry....Are the Dallas Cowboys good enough to compete for a Superbowl....within the next 2-3 years.

If no.....why not reboot?
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:20 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Donald had 35 reps on the bench press. I really don't think that he'll slip to the second, so he's got be the pick somewhere if they stay in the teens.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:30 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
Donald had 35 reps on the bench press. I really don't think that he'll slip to the second, so he's got be the pick somewhere if they stay in the teens.
Very impressive, I didn't expect him to rep that many. I also saw he measured in at 6'1 285 with nearly 33 inch arms. Those numbers are going to alleviate most of the size concerns for him, but he's still only appealing to 4 man fronts.

The La'Roi Gover/Geno Atkins comparisons look a lot more legit today.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:06 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/multime...1-a202f7d9f1d5

Garrett to focus more on defense straight from the horses mouth.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:27 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Stephen Jones on Cowboys' draft process

INDIANAPOLIS -- If you make even the slightest connection to Jerry Jones and the NFL draft, expect something sarcastic.

Jones
On Saturday I tweeted that the Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager had arrived in Indianapolis for the NFL scouting combine. Within minutes there were several reactions. One follower tweeted, “Jerry … Talent evaluation at it’s (sic) best.”

Jones has earned the reputation because of the Cowboys’ poor drafts, but there is also a misconception at how the Cowboys’ draft is run.

“That Jerry sits up there and out of the clear blue just grabs a guy and says, ‘We’re going to take him,’” executive vice president Stephen Jones said. “I mean, are you kidding me? I mean that’s just not how it works. Most of the time there is a consensus and you work through it and work to it, and it’s well thought out. We use all our resources. We spend millions of dollars in our scouting department and spend a lot of money on our coaches. Everybody has tremendous input and I think it’s a good system.”

The “most of the time,” part of that quote stands out.

“Everybody will have a chance to have an opinion and then of course Jerry will weigh in and most of the time we tend to agree,” Stephen Jones said, “but when we don’t obviously he’ll make that decision.”

------------

Reconfirming to hear it explained by Stephen. The process is collaborative.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:32 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jerry Jones clarifies coaching roles

NDIANAPOLIS -- If the setup surrounding the Dallas Cowboys' offense was confusing in 2013, owner and general manager Jerry Jones attempted to clarify what it will be like in 2014.

New passing game coordinator Scott Linehan will be the brains behind the operation with Bill Callahan back in a running game role and coach Jason Garrett out of the offensive mix altogether.

"Linehan gives us a complete real change of our offense with our terminology," Jones said. "It's different. Although [Garrett and Linehan] have been together coaching, you can't see a lot of what we've been and what they did up in Detroit. He's got a track record of really zeroing in and building the offense around the talent, the specific talent and the qualities of the players."

Jones said quarterback Tony Romo will be "more involved" in the offense than he was last year, when he took part in game-plan meetings during the course of the week, but "how and where and what has to do with how comfortable he is" with Linehan, Jones said.

When the Cowboys discussed the possibility of adding Linehan, Jones said Romo had conversations with Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford, who worked under Linehan for five seasons.

"He got a great feeling for Linehan's imagination and what Linehan does to maximize players, the skills of the individual players and his flexibility in coming up with schemes within schemes within the base or the rules of an offense," Jones said. "Having said all that, the most excited guy in the organization was Tony Romo to have the prospect of getting Linehan, so they will be locked at the hip."

Jones said Romo was a "tremendous supporter" of Callahan, who called the plays in 2013. Callahan was upset by the demotion and the Cowboys also blocked him from interviewing with the Cleveland Browns and Baltimore Ravens.

The plan last year was for Callahan to take over the offense, but Garrett could not give up the driver's seat even if he was not calling the plays. Jones said Garrett was "unquestionably" the coordinator on the day-to-day basis.

"It was unfair to Bill, but it was the offense that we've had since [Garrett] got here," Jones said.

Garrett's comfort and background with Linehan made him more willing to give up the seat in 2014.

"There's a difference when you're sitting in the room and as the head coach you say, 'Wait a minute, y'all put some salt and pepper in there,' then after it's already been cooked and you're tasting it outside the room and you say, 'It might need a little salt and pepper.' It's a big difference. One you're involved in the cooking, one you're not involved. Jason was involved in the cooking last year. That was just a fact and everybody knew that or should. That won't be the case this year."

-----------

A lot of clarity explained there that enlightened me a lot.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:36 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post
Serious question...without solely blaming Jerry....Are the Dallas Cowboys good enough to compete for a Superbowl....within the next 2-3 years.

If no.....why not reboot?
Thats hard to answer. Not with our current roster, and if we dont make the playoffs this year we'll have a whole new staff next year. If we have 3 great drafts the next 3 years then yeah, we could have a shot. We'll know more after this off season is over. Listening to JJ doesnt make me think our chances are great because he STILL believes we have a SB contending team.

Quote:
With three straight 8-8 finishes, a team that will need to release players or reconfigure contracts to get under the cap and an aging core with Tony Romo coming off back surgery, Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones sees only the good.

“Even though we have cap problems this year,” Jones said, “we have chance to compete for a Super Bowl.”
Quote:
“You could probably say that if not seeing the stop signs means denial, then I’m in denial,” Jones said. “The facts are that I see them, but I don’t see them. I know why they are there. I’m talking about the 8-8, but I don’t see them.”
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowbo...pete-for-title
I'll hold off on the bashing but some of the stuff he says has me SMH.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:42 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
http://www.dallascowboys.com/multime...1-a202f7d9f1d5

Garrett to focus more on defense straight from the horses mouth.
Is that a good thing in your opinion?

Old 02-23-2014, 10:29 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Guys we have met with Per Waltersfootball

Dallas Cowboys:
Aaron Donald, DL, Pittsburgh (COM)
Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M (COM)
IK Enemkpali, DL, Lousiana Tech (SR)
Dee Ford, DL, Auburn (SR)
Will Sutton, DL, Arizona State (SR)

Old 02-24-2014, 06:12 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

The Cowboys are not tendering Phillip Tanner. Start your RB scouting!
Old 02-24-2014, 06:17 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
3 not enough?

Old 02-24-2014, 06:38 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Tanner was the odd man out last year, that's not really a surprise.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:19 AM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

DeMarcus Ware could be released, Jerry Jones says.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...rry-jones-says

In other words reduce your cap hit or hit the market.

Last edited by Jas : 02-25-2014 at 08:29 AM.
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:58 AM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's fantastic news....just follow through Jerry...Follow through!
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:47 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
3 not enough?
4 wasn't enough last year. We're a different team when Murray goes down. All we have are complimentary scatbacks as fill ins.