Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 03-06-2014, 08:09 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas View Post
Not at all, I agree. Another player to the O-line, is necessary, if they can get Donald in the 1st and a G in the 2nd that would be a step in the direction of building a solid line on both sides of the ball. And if they miss on Donald in the 1st, I'm Ok with an O-lineman, especially if they move down a bit and get some picks.
Agreed. If a DT isnt there that we love, OL, move down, or both.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:19 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
Who said we had to have a dominate EVERYTHING? We dont have a dominate ANYTHING. NE hasnt won a SB in almost 10 years and Brees went 7-9 a couple of years ago. Those guys are great but they arent winning SB's every year like you suggest. Just "getting by" gets you to 8-8 every year in case you havent noticed.
Our offense has been a top performing one year after year. That is despite not having a dominant ANYTHING as you say. End of season stats show it.

Our defense was historically low. HISTORICALLY. Spending a 1st round pick on offense would just be irresponsible if you ask me. I would definitely be having issues with our FO. Funny thing is... you would be patting them on the back. My how the tables could turn so instantly.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:34 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Our offense has been a top performing one year after year. That is despite not having a dominant ANYTHING as you say. End of season stats show it.

Our defense was historically low. HISTORICALLY. Spending a 1st round pick on offense would just be irresponsible if you ask me. I would definitely be having issues with our FO. Funny thing is... you would be patting them on the back. My how the tables could turn so instantly.
Passing-14th, Rushing-24th, Total-16th. Hardly "top performing" and we played some really bad Defenses last year. Mostly the bottom half of the league.

As far as the FO, I'm hopful McClay is a huge upgrade on draft day. At least there is hope.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 03-07-2014, 04:09 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Costa released, no big shock.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/20...il-costa.html/
Old 03-07-2014, 04:13 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yep. The moment he refused the pay cut he was pretty much guaranteed to be gone.

Dallas Cowboys GM -Forum Mock
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:01 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was watching ESPN and they were talking about teams being interested in Charles Tillman as a Safety. Really got me thinking. I've been such a fan of his from afar. Knowing Marinelli's relationship with him... Could we be an option? We really could use him at CB or FS. Money would be the unknown part of it... but what do you guys think?
Old 03-07-2014, 11:20 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eh. Tillman said last month that he was not interested in playing safety. I like Peanut a lot though. If anyone could convince him it would probably be Marinelli. If he's cheap I might take a look at CB but what would we do with Claiborne? Playing him in the slot isn't ideal and Scandrick is easily the best slot corner on the team.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:42 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Eh. Tillman said last month that he was not interested in playing safety. I like Peanut a lot though. If anyone could convince him it would probably be Marinelli. If he's cheap I might take a look at CB but what would we do with Claiborne? Playing him in the slot isn't ideal and Scandrick is easily the best slot corner on the team.
Claiborne at FS.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:49 AM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Claiborne at FS.
Can he cover back there, yeah probably, but what do you think of him as a the guy being your last line of defense as a tackler? It's not as important but it is a concern.
He can't stay on the field now, but one positive if he does go down, you plug Wilcox back in and don't have to reshuffle the secondary. Interesting idea, I don't see it happening though.

The only free agent I can see them going after is Melton, he'll probably be a cowboy next week. Which will somewhat soften the blow of missing out on Donald so a player like Jernigan or Ealy can be our pick.

The money would have to be right though, I don't know how much they'd be willing to pay Melton.

Last edited by Jas : 03-08-2014 at 05:50 AM.
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:50 AM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Claiborne at FS.
Lol, the highest rated CB to come out since Deion (or so we were told) and we move him to Safety? Dont get me started.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:54 AM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Quote:
Lol, the highest rated CB to come out since Deion (or so we were told) and we move him to Safety? Dont get me started.
LOL, oh no here we go, I think you guys enjoy pushing each others buttons way too much.

You should have a show together, discussing the cowboys, it'd be hysterical.
The D and pocket show. Like a modern day odd couple

Buying or selling on free agent rumors---

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ee-agency-mill

If it worked out that way could live with Dware, Jernigan, Melton and spencer with some depth at RDE added in the draft. It would be worth a shot at spence because you have selvie and Crawford as a movable piece, backing him or rotating as needed. You get some help in the draft to rotate with Ware and groom for the future.

Still would like Donald though.

Last edited by Jas : 03-08-2014 at 06:13 AM.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:43 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

My ideal scenario right now is very similar.

Pay cut for Ware LOADED with incentives. Since he didn't have many sacks any incentives would count as "Not Likely to Be Earned" meaning they don't count against the cap unless fulfilled. Make it a big pay cut with an escalator in each season for say 8-10 sacks where he can earn back 75% of his old deal.

Sign Melton with the money and reunite him with Marinelli. Should also have enough coin from this to sign Spencer to a 1 year "Show me" type of deal. He's not going to sign long term since his value is at his lowest but a reasonable 1 year deal would be great for both parties.

Draft Jernigan in the first.

WDE: Ware
3Tech: Melton
1Tech: Jernigan
SDE: Spencer

Crawford / Bass could be brought on slow behind Spencer and Melton.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:26 AM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Quote:
My ideal scenario right now is very similar.

Pay cut for Ware LOADED with incentives. Since he didn't have many sacks any incentives would count as "Not Likely to Be Earned" meaning they don't count against the cap unless fulfilled. Make it a big pay cut with an escalator in each season for say 8-10 sacks where he can earn back 75% of his old deal.

Sign Melton with the money and reunite him with Marinelli. Should also have enough coin from this to sign Spencer to a 1 year "Show me" type of deal. He's not going to sign long term since his value is at his lowest but a reasonable 1 year deal would be great for both parties.

Draft Jernigan in the first.

WDE: Ware
3Tech: Melton
1Tech: Jernigan
SDE: Spencer

Crawford / Bass could be brought on slow behind Spencer and Melton.
Excellent. We agree. I love it, lets do it. :) Don't forget selvie in that mix, we add starters and would now have quality depth and rotation. That scenario could very likely be close to their plan.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:12 AM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
LOL, oh no here we go, I think you guys enjoy pushing each others buttons way too much.

You should have a show together, discussing the cowboys, it'd be hysterical.
The D and pocket show. Like a modern day odd couple

Buying or selling on free agent rumors---

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ee-agency-mill

If it worked out that way could live with Dware, Jernigan, Melton and spencer with some depth at RDE added in the draft. It would be worth a shot at spence because you have selvie and Crawford as a movable piece, backing him or rotating as needed. You get some help in the draft to rotate with Ware and groom for the future.

Still would like Donald though.
We would put Skip and Stephen A out of work Haha. If we resign Hatcher or sign Melton it will go a long way in knowing what our draft plans might be. At this point I might prefer Melton because hes only 27 but his knee has to be a concern still.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:07 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mendenhall is retiring at 26, Ray Rice is dragging his wife...CJ2k is probably getting cut....felix jones issss....where is Felix Jones?

Wow...the life of a running back in the NFL is a hard one. Not much longevity at all..
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:01 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Isnt it time for our annual forum Mock? Witten4HOF?

Old 03-09-2014, 01:03 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post
Mendenhall is retiring at 26, Ray Rice is dragging his wife...CJ2k is probably getting cut....felix jones issss....where is Felix Jones?

Wow...the life of a running back in the NFL is a hard one. Not much longevity at all..
Precisely why you don't draft running backs high. You can find perfectly good ones in the later rounds.

It's not that first round RBs aren't talented it's that the drop-off is FAR less at RB than at other positions.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:19 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Precisely why you don't draft running backs high. You can find perfectly good ones in the later rounds.

It's not that first round RBs aren't talented it's that the drop-off is FAR less at RB than at other positions.
That's not really true, there haven't been many elite backs coming into the league lately and I think that has more to do with the lack of high picks at the position than the drop-off from 1st tier to 2nd tier. The AD's and Lynch's of the world are absolutely worthy of being taken high. If you can get the ball to playmakers of that caliber 300-350 times a season how is that less bang for your buck than drafting a wideout in the 1st who may touch the ball roughly 80 times a season?

There are enough talented RBs to field solid depth at the position in the mid-rounds, but the true blue chippers are worth a 1st. Think of it this way, there's a huge drop off between the top 4 or so RBs in the league and everyone else. Lastly, RB will always be the most utilized skill position on offense, and it's not even close. I will never critize a team who wants to spend a 1st round pick on what will be the centerpiece of their offense.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:18 AM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Quote:
Agreed. If a DT isnt there that we love, OL, move down, or both.
Thought you'd like this-shows the need for help at OL and also shows that we may have a new blueprint.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2014/...enzy-bernadeau

To me it will all stand on if they get Melton or not or miss out on Donald, those variables will certainly open things up to pursue other options in the draft.

Honestly, I'm rethinking whether I'd draft Jernigan at 16, a 1 tech isn't that important to them, and they can get a guy like that as D-unit said, like a Daquan Jones later.

I like the Zach Martin idea(especially if you can drop a bit and get him and additional picks) if Donald is gone or you sign melton because he's a movable piece on the Oline, guard, tackle even center if needed.

Last edited by Jas : 03-10-2014 at 04:39 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:33 AM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Thought you'd like this-shows the need for help at OL and also shows that we may have a new blueprint.

To me it will all stand on if they get Melton or not or miss out on Donald, those variables will certainly open things up to pursue other options in the draft.

Honestly, I'm rethinking whether I'd draft Jernigan at 16, a 1 tech isn't that important to them, and they can get a guy like that as D-unit said, like a Daquan Jones later.

I like the Zach Martin idea(especially if you can drop a bit and get him and additional picks) if Donald is gone or you sign melton because he's a movable piece on the Oline, guard, tackle even center if needed.
Nice read. Makes sense too. I dont think we can move down and get Martin, I think Miami grabs him if hes there.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:53 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:

It's an interesting debate. How does it make you feel about paying Murray a nice chunk when he's a FA next season?

My ideal scenario is to draft Andre Williams and time share the running game. Keep each other fresh, yet we can keep the attack at a high level and pay Murray less to keep him or let him go a big money offer. The last thing I want is to let him have all the leverage and the Cowboys thinking they "have to" pay up.... and then have to heavily consider RB an option in Round 1 or 2.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:58 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:

The only kind of 1 tech I'd want in Round 1 is one that could command a double team. Like Louis Nix. But I don't want him at 16 and I don't know if Marinelli would even like that type of DT.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:03 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Nice read. Makes sense too. I dont think we can move down and get Martin, I think Miami grabs him if hes there.
If we take Martin in Round 1, who are your top 3 options in Round 2?
Old 03-10-2014, 02:26 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
If we take Martin in Round 1, who are your top 3 options in Round 2?
Martin isnt my top choice at 16, I just wont have a problem selecting him if hes the BPA for our needs. Lots of 2nd round guys to look at if we go G or DT in the 1st. Guys like Crichton, Ward, Brooks, Easley, Murphy, Ect.. A lot will depend on what we do in FA, obviously.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:42 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

I'm gonna put this out there. Crichton does nothing for me. Neither does Murphy to be honest. But with Stanford in mind... Skov is a beast.