Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 03-16-2014, 11:22 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I also wouldn't mind Kevin Williams as a 3tech to play a few hundred downs. Wait till the market turns to one year deals and then maybe go veteran. Still some guys out there who I think could play for us.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:32 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind Santonio Holmes in a situation like that.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:59 AM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just don't see the point in signing veterans at this point unless you plan to run them right into the ground. A one or two year rental is a progress stopper. Optimistically we are going to draft All Defence. ALL Day this year. So why sign someone like Jared Allen who would immediately become the starter on the line?

I still think we can get competitive even with NO FA signings and a bunch of draft options. I have faith in Marinelli as D Coordinator and I like Linehan as our play coordinator. I like our coaching options this year.

I like the fact that we have cut away some of the overpaid players on the roster.(for that reason. I am really starting to warm to the idea of letting Witten walk as well).

I look forward to what we can walk away with from this draft strictly from a Defensive Standpoint.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:09 AM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A plus on the Aaron Donald front, it seems a lot of people are starting to see the bears going secondary at 14 now that they signed Houston and young, and have rat. They could realistically opt for a DB and go DT in 2. Calvin Pryor would look great in Chicago. lol
If we don't get Melton, Donald could be back in play at 16

If we land Melton that 1st round is gonna be completely up in the air, it will be very interesting to see what they do.

Last edited by Jas : 03-17-2014 at 05:21 AM.
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:44 AM    (permalink
bigmac076
Veteran

bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas View Post
A plus on the Aaron Donald front, it seems a lot of people are starting to see the bears going secondary at 14 now that they signed Houston and young, and have rat. They could realistically opt for a DB and go DT in 2. Calvin Pryor would look great in Chicago. lol
If we don't get Melton, Donald could be back in play at 16

If we land Melton that 1st round is gonna be completely up in the air, it will be very interesting to see what they do.
ah screw it, if we sign Melton I STILL want Donald
Old 03-17-2014, 09:21 AM    (permalink
BroadcasterC
Rookie

BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have to think that this might be Witten's last year with the team as well. Let Escobar get another year of experience, feed off of Witten and some coaching from Mike Pope, and then let him take over.

As for the draft, I'd love Donald even with Melton, but I also have no problem with Louis Nix.

I know they "won't" pick 1-tech in the first round so there is no point in hoping for it, but I think that's so stupid. We haven't had a mammoth in there in forever. If you don't think Vince Wilfork helps you win games just as much as Jason Hatcher does, you need to re-evaluate how to draft.

*sigh*
BroadcasterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:43 AM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't care who they sign. I still want Donald as the first pick, or any other DT that can provide a good pass rush. We always hear that you can never have enough pass rushers, so why not have them in the middle as well? The team plays nickel nearly 50% of the time or more due to the way the NFL passes nowadays. Melton, or Williams, and Donald/Jernigan/Hageman/Sutton/etc. would be nice to see together at times on passing downs. Plus it would create this sick wave of D-linemen that wear guards and centers down. The 90's dynasty had a very underrated DL rotation.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:16 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Guess I'll go against the grain a little here, but if we sign Melton then I don't want Donald. I want to go at a position we can get immediate impact from like DE or FS. Even OL makes more sense than signing Melton and drafting Donald.

If we sign Allen, then Donald would be great.

As for Chicago, I never did fear of them taking Donald.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:03 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

DL Talent is DL Talent. No reason we can't sign Allen and draft a DE with pick 16 even. We are going to rotate our DL throughout the year. A year one DL can be special but year one DEs usually have some kinks to workout before they aren't a liability in a weaker point in their game. No problems bringing in a Veteran guy or 2 to mix with all the young guys. We don't have **** for depth no that Hatcher and Ware are gone. We've replaced them with JAGs which is fine...but it'd be nice to bring in some moldable talent too. If not moldable a veteran like Allen or Williams can give us some key snaps this year. Plus work with the young guys.

Seems like everyone wants the 16th pick to go to a player that is going to get all the snaps. I'm fine on the defensive side of the ball with them getting 50-60% of the snaps. If everyone is fresh our JAGs will look better then they really are and our studs will show up when it counts.

BTB wrote an awesome article on this.
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2014/...rming-rotation

Heres a breakdown of our DL snaps last year.

The Rams with a very talented front 4

Patriots

Seattle

Now tell me after seeing those numbers you aren't onboard with the strategy of Rush Men and lots of them. Not one or 2 guys. 6-8 of them.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 03-17-2014, 02:36 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Really like what BTB keeps churning out. I didn't see that one, so thanks for the share.

After reading that the first thought is about the importance of increasing the depth along the DL to the point where using big FA dollars and a 1st rounder on the same position is a good idea... right?

...ehh.... not so fast. When I see the comparison to SEA and DAL, the thing that sticks out to me is how good their secondary is and how it allows a lesser talented, but deeper DL to operate at a high level.

All the draft talk here is on DL or Zach Martin. W4HOF brought up Shazor before so that was a little out of the box... but everytime I bring up Justin Gilbert that talk is pretty quickly shut down. I don't even bother talking about trading down and drafting a Bradley Roby or Kyle Fuller. I admit that I don't believe in HCD. But between Gilbert, Roby and Fuller I think any of those guys would provide a MAJOR upgrade to our secondary. If there was one thing that I took away from Seattle's SB victory was their ability to play single high safety with confidence and that opened up everything else for them on defense.

If we really want to use Seattle as the model then I don't think mimicking their DL is the source of their power. Stockpiling dollars and high draft picks on the DL is not how they got there. Yes, they were savvy enough to hit on gem CBs late in their draft, but their whole rebuild on D started with their pick of Earl Thomas. Building that elite secondary is the source of their power.

It's been 2 years now since we had Claiborne and Carr together and we sit here today saying "If only they had good safety play behind them..."

That BtB article did open up my eyes. It's time to grab that elite FS. We can get by on the DL using lesser talent but better depth.

Last edited by D-Unit : 03-17-2014 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:47 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
NFL on ESPN ‏@ESPNNFL 2m
THIS JUST IN: The Dallas Cowboys have agreed on a 2 year deal w/former Browns QB Brandon Weeden.
Meh........The good news is, he should make our Secondary better.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Last edited by pocketaces : 03-17-2014 at 02:53 PM.
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:55 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
Meh........

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:16 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Weeden's deal is worth $1.23 million over two years but does not include bonus money, according to the source.

Are we really freaking out about someone making vet min? This lets Orton walk while letting us kick tires on a 1st round prospect who burned out of Cleveland.

*shrugs*

Dallas Cowboys GM -Forum Mock
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:25 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Meh........The good news is, he should make our Secondary better.
Not sure why you're so down on him. Saves us money if we can cut Orton. He's only an emergency starter. I like the add. He showed me some balls in that game we had against the Browns that went down to the wire.

Cheap contract with built in escalators based on production. Nice move by Stephen.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:37 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Romo goes down, we're screwed anyway.

Not saying Weeden is great, but wasn't he sacked like a billion times in Cle? I don't think he's as bad as Cleveland made him look.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:53 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Not sure why you're so down on him. Saves us money if we can cut Orton. He's only an emergency starter. I like the add. He showed me some balls in that game we had against the Browns that went down to the wire.

Cheap contract with built in escalators based on production. Nice move by Stephen.
Hes not good. Hes 30. The good thing is hes cheap, I'll give him that. Hope he never has to play.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 03-17-2014, 04:27 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't care one way or the other about Weeden, not with that contract. At least he's competent enough to be an emergency QB.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:49 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
Don't care one way or the other about Weeden, not with that contract. At least he's competent enough to be an emergency QB.
I really dont either but would rather have a young guy with upside. Late round pick.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:36 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He may be 30 but he drafted in 2012 and had limited football experience prior to OSU's air raid.

He has all the physical tools hence his draft placement.

Given that Orton is only planning on staying due to having to repay signing bonus I'm not at all committed to him. If we're playing Orton/Weeden long-term we're screwed either way. It's a backup QB.

Dallas Cowboys GM -Forum Mock
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:01 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I really dont either but would rather have a young guy with upside. Late round pick.
I have a problem with that too. Just look at McGee. What a waste of a 4th rounder. He never was going to start here even if he developed.

The only time I want to draft a QB is in Round 1 when we have the need to. Other than that it's a complete hit or miss crap shoot.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:26 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I have a problem with that too. Just look at McGee. What a waste of a 4th rounder. He never was going to start here even if he developed.

The only time I want to draft a QB is in Round 1 when we have the need to. Other than that it's a complete hit or miss crap shoot.
Yeah, well McGee had no buisness being drafted in the 4th round. 1st pick in the 4th too IIRC. I wouldnt mind taking a shot on Murray or Smith in the 5th or 6th. Not a must have but young with upside.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:30 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Henry Melton was the first free agent defensive lineman to visit the Cowboys this week. Jared Allen will be the next. Melton, the former Pro Bowl tackle from Grapevine, met with the Cowboys on Monday but a deal wasnít in the works, a source said early in the evening.
Allen, who has the recorded the second-most sacks among active NFL players, is scheduled to sit down with the teamís coaches and executives on Tuesday.
Doesnt sound to promising.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:04 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Doesnt sound to promising.
Yeah, last I heard we were trying to put together a back loaded deal. Must have meant we didn't have enough money to give him upfront. He probably looked at our $7M in cap space and laughed.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:02 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Really like what BTB keeps churning out. I didn't see that one, so thanks for the share.

After reading that the first thought is about the importance of increasing the depth along the DL to the point where using big FA dollars and a 1st rounder on the same position is a good idea... right?

...ehh.... not so fast. When I see the comparison to SEA and DAL, the thing that sticks out to me is how good their secondary is and how it allows a lesser talented, but deeper DL to operate at a high level.

All the draft talk here is on DL or Zach Martin. W4HOF brought up Shazor before so that was a little out of the box... but everytime I bring up Justin Gilbert that talk is pretty quickly shut down. I don't even bother talking about trading down and drafting a Bradley Roby or Kyle Fuller. I admit that I don't believe in HCD. But between Gilbert, Roby and Fuller I think any of those guys would provide a MAJOR upgrade to our secondary. If there was one thing that I took away from Seattle's SB victory was their ability to play single high safety with confidence and that opened up everything else for them on defense.

If we really want to use Seattle as the model then I don't think mimicking their DL is the source of their power. Stockpiling dollars and high draft picks on the DL is not how they got there. Yes, they were savvy enough to hit on gem CBs late in their draft, but their whole rebuild on D started with their pick of Earl Thomas. Building that elite secondary is the source of their power.

It's been 2 years now since we had Claiborne and Carr together and we sit here today saying "If only they had good safety play behind them..."

That BtB article did open up my eyes. It's time to grab that elite FS. We can get by on the DL using lesser talent but better depth.
Good post D. Can't disagree with you on FS. It'll be interesting to see if we go after a FS this draft. I am on the side of the fence that believes we'll go into the season with what we have. I don't agree with this nor do I think Matt Johnson is going to even start a game. But trying to read between the lines on this offseason...be interesting to see how many safeties get on our invite list...I'm not guessing there is going to be many tho.

So while I'm onboard with getting a top tier FS. A) there isn't one in this class. B) FA doesn't have squat either.

I'm no stranger to projecting CBs to FS when looking at the draft. While I think Gilbert/Roby/Fuller might be able to do it. They will be drafted sooner then value warrants at the CB position. Which I think is why it is so hard to peg them. You have to be willing to invest in the player at his college position value then project him to our scheme. Seems like why we don't see it more in the NFL. I'm surprised you like Roby. I watched him quite a bit this season being up in Big 10 land and I can't say I wouldn't want him even on the roster. Sure he has nice measurables. But he couldn't cover anyone. It was so bad that they HAD to start playing him deep at safety because he just had no feel for the game and seemed no clue that WRs ran route trees. I'm sure that is harsh on the negative sides...but I see bad angles and a player who doesn't want to be physical on game day. We have enough pussies on this defense I'm against bringing in anymore of them.

Last comment.

I thought Seattle was successful in the superbowl because they were able to get Peyton Manning off of his spot. Sure having bigger corners to press and fall into cover 3 shell had a big part to do of it. But Peyton had no time all night. And that was due to the freshness of the DL. While we aren't going to be able to put a group of guys like that together in one offseason...I'm pretty hopeful that quantity can be greater than quality if rotated correctly in this day in ages NFL. With the no huddle and the prolific passing attacks you just can't expect 4 guys to give it 100% all game and be effective.

Hell even looking back a couple of years ago. That season we had 60 some sacks under Phillips we rotated our DL a ton towards the end of the season. I thought the freshness showed then and I'm even more behind it now.

I enjoy the differing of opinions here and happy to be able to discuss it in an educated manner :)

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 03-17-2014, 08:02 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

If something gets done we'll be paying a ****load. Buckle up.

mike fisher ‏@fishsports 5m
.@HenMel 'official' day w #cowboys is done - but Melton still w team bosses. Hmm. I'm told vibe is 'positive'