Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 03-18-2014, 11:48 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas View Post
You sonofabitch Hank!

If I was you guys, I'd also take Donald... your DL can go from worst of all-time, to suddenly solid, overnight.

Giants, Seahawks, they've shown a good and deep DL is the key to a defense.
It always starts up front.
If your DL is beating their OL, there's gonna be problems for that offense.

How would Jernigan fit in your scheme?
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:58 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
You sonofabitch Hank!

If I was you guys, I'd also take Donald... your DL can go from worst of all-time, to suddenly solid, overnight.

Giants, Seahawks, they've shown a good and deep DL is the key to a defense.
It always starts up front.
If your DL is beating their OL, there's gonna be problems for that offense.

How would Jernigan fit in your scheme?
Sutton in the 3rd is fine by me.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:26 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jernigan - Ward/Brooks/Joyner - Sutton

I'd probably do a cartwheel.

Dallas Cowboys GM -Forum Mock
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:45 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd put money we draft a WR in the first three rounds. I know it's not preferable but I can't see JG sit back and let the defense get all the toys. So prepare to get butt hurt if you see something like ...

With the 16th overall pick in the NFL draft the Dallas Cowboys Select,
Mike Evans, WR Texas Tech
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:53 AM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
I'd put money we draft a WR in the first three rounds. I know it's not preferable but I can't see JG sit back and let the defense get all the toys. So prepare to get butt hurt if you see something like ...

With the 16th overall pick in the NFL draft the Dallas Cowboys Select,
Mike Evans, WR Texas Tech
Yeah, it's tough to say what's going to happen now, they could take a DT, they could move up a bit for Barr, move back, take Martin, dix, a WR, it's all in play now and it's anyone's guess.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:07 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Where do you guys live that you're posting at this time?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:31 AM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Where do you guys live that you're posting at this time?
lol, I'm in Pennsylvania so it's early, too early!!

Oh btw enjoy Jay Rat Chicago..we'll see you one rat and raise you a henry melton.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:29 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm in New Jersey but my job has me up at 4am
Old 03-19-2014, 05:45 AM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

According to DMN terms of the deal.

March 19, 2014 2:07 am
Cowboys deal with Henry Melton for one guaranteed season

by Chris Towers | CBSSports.com

The Cowboys' deal with defensive lineman Henry Melton is expected to become official in the coming days, after he agreed to join the team Tuesday following an injury-riddled final season with the Bears.

According to The Dallas Morning News report Tuesday, the deal includes just one guaranteed year worth $5 million for 2014, coming off a season in which he played just three games before suffering a torn ACL. If Melton makes it through the year and is still on the Cowboys' roster by the first say of the league year in 2015, an extension will kick in worth an average of $8 million over three seasons, including $9 million guaranteed in the first year.

Melton had 13 sacks in 2011 and 2012 combined, and likely would have been looking at a much larger deal had he not suffered the injury.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:10 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
lol, I'm in Pennsylvania so it's early, too early!!

Oh btw enjoy Jay Rat Chicago..we'll see you one rat and raise you a henry melton.
:) What part of PA? I'm from PA.

Unfortunately I'm living in Indiana currently. Looking forward to moving in 6 months.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:17 AM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
:) What part of PA? I'm from PA.

Unfortunately I'm living in Indiana currently. Looking forward to moving in 6 months.
I'm in the Hazleton area now, it's northeast in the poconos.
Been here about 10 years, spent the prior 33 years in Brooklyn NY.

Some melton mic'd up for you guys.

http://www.chicagobears.com/multimed...9-B6930310E8D6
Old 03-19-2014, 07:21 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

You have to like the way that the Deal is structured. You get a serious break in year one and then the team controls the rest of the contract. He is the center piece of the defensive line and will likely be surrounded by waves of Jags to create pass rush on a budget.

I personally thought that Crawford was pegged in a 3tech but there are still reports that he is going to play LE. If that is the case you have a interesting three man rotation with Mincey, Bass, and Crawford on that side. That likely means that Selvie is shifting over to RE and we will be adding some bodies in the draft and FA to add there and 3T. I have a feeling Spencer is going to be back on a 1 or 2 year deal with little guaranteed. Teams are finding out that he isn't exactly 100% yet and aren't biting. He could be a plus if he can heal up and be in 2012 for by mid season. Robert Ayers is another guy on the rumor mill as a possible addition.

I truely believe the team is going to go BPA in the draft in attempt to maximize their hits. So saying that we need passrushers or needs O-line or anything else is only going to get us frustrated come draft day. The only position I think that would be off the table is TE but who knows.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:29 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I'm in the Hazleton area now, it's northeast in the poconos.
Been here about 10 years, spent the prior 33 years in Brooklyn NY.

Some melton mic'd up for you guys.

http://www.chicagobears.com/multimed...9-B6930310E8D6
Nice! I grew up near the Gettysburg (civil war town in southern PA) and then graduated from Penn State.

Only trips to Hazelton were for sports though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
You have to like the way that the Deal is structured. You get a serious break in year one and then the team controls the rest of the contract. He is the center piece of the defensive line and will likely be surrounded by waves of Jags to create pass rush on a budget.

I personally thought that Crawford was pegged in a 3tech but there are still reports that he is going to play LE. If that is the case you have a interesting three man rotation with Mincey, Bass, and Crawford on that side. That likely means that Selvie is shifting over to RE and we will be adding some bodies in the draft and FA to add there and 3T. I have a feeling Spencer is going to be back on a 1 or 2 year deal with little guaranteed. Teams are finding out that he isn't exactly 100% yet and aren't biting. He could be a plus if he can heal up and be in 2012 for by mid season. Robert Ayers is another guy on the rumor mill as a possible addition.

I truely believe the team is going to go BPA in the draft in attempt to maximize their hits. So saying that we need passrushers or needs O-line or anything else is only going to get us frustrated come draft day. The only position I think that would be off the table is TE but who knows.
Really loving our offseason thus far. I hated losing Ware but given he wasn't going to take a significant pay cut it was the right move. The Melton deal was incredible business. I really like Crawford as a SDE as well. He has the flexibility to move inside on passing downs and replace the 1-tech if it's Hayden.

BPA is the draft is always ideal and seems to be the Garrett mantra. Fill your needs in FA and then you don't reach in the draft. I definitely don't miss Wade Phillip's drafts -_-

I'm not sure I see too much interest in Ayers though. He'd probably be pegged as a SDE which is the side we are reasonable set. We need a pure pass rusher if anything on the weak side.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:44 AM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Quote:
Nice! I grew up near the Gettysburg (civil war town in southern PA) and then graduated from Penn State.

Really loving our offseason thus far. I hated losing Ware but given he wasn't going to take a significant pay cut it was the right move. The Melton deal was incredible business. I really like Crawford as a SDE as well. He has the flexibility to move inside on passing downs and replace the 1-tech if it's Hayden.

BPA is the draft is always ideal and seems to be the Garrett mantra. Fill your needs in FA and then you don't reach in the draft. I definitely don't miss Wade Phillip's drafts -_-

I'm not sure I see too much interest in Ayers though. He'd probably be pegged as a SDE which is the side we are reasonable set. We need a pure pass rusher if anything on the weak side.
Yeah, you wouldn't want to pass through Hazleton now, it's as dangerous our worse than Brooklyn..wasn't that bad when I came out 10 years ago but it declined fast.

Glad I'm not in the actual city but in a neighboring town. I got kids here. lol

BTW the 5 year old is lovin the melton signing, she was high on Donald with me after I showed her tape but after showing her the pics of melton sacking those QB's, she was like ok he's good.

Funny thing after sitting there last year and waiting all night to see who we'd pick in the draft, she fell asleep before we made our selection.
Of course, I was a little like Travis Frederick..who??!!
Next day I show her a picture and she says I like him, I don't like the beard but if he blocks for Romo it's ok.

She loves Romo so much..she's like lil Pocket She has his jersey my mom bought for her a few yrs back and everything. It's like a dress on her but..lol

Just to add, she was the only person who liked the escobar pick, idk if it's the name gavin escobar or what but she said he's gonna be good. :)

Last edited by Jas : 03-19-2014 at 07:53 AM.
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:32 AM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Isnt "love" a little strong? We basically gave up Ware and Hatcher for Melton. If Melton is on our team in 2015 his contract is worth 29M with 14M guaranteed. I dont think we have improved our team enough to love the offseason yet.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:49 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Ware wasn't worth his cap hit. My "ideal" offseason was to keep Ware on reduced pay and get Melton. #3 was to not overpay an old veteran.

2 out of 3 with Ware receiving a great deal from Denver so I can still root for him. As a bonus we signed depth for vet minimum and I fully trust Marinelli.

I'd classify that as "love thus far". Not really sure how much better this offseason could have been for Dallas to be honest. Melton is certainly worht the $5 million we will pay him this year.

Debating the last three years should wait until after the season when we have the decision to make ;)

Old 03-19-2014, 09:51 AM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn 26m
I'm told Jared Allen wants close to $10 million per year like DeMarcus Ware and Julius Peppers. Cowboys not interested at that price.
Welp, hes out at that price.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 03-19-2014, 09:54 AM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Ware wasn't worth his cap hit. My "ideal" offseason was to keep Ware on reduced pay and get Melton. #3 was to not overpay an old veteran.

2 out of 3 with Ware receiving a great deal from Denver so I can still root for him. As a bonus we signed depth for vet minimum and I fully trust Marinelli.

I'd classify that as "love thus far". Not really sure how much better this offseason could have been for Dallas to be honest. Melton is certainly worht the $5 million we will pay him this year.

Debating the last three years should wait until after the season when we have the decision to make ;)
If hes not on our team after this year, things have gone terribly wrong. If thats the case we'll be talking about our new coaching staff at this time next year.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:01 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
If hes not on our team after this year, things have gone terribly wrong. If thats the case we'll be talking about our new coaching staff at this time next year.
Precisely. However we didn't massively overpay and ink him to a 4 year deal with tons of guarantees. We did the fiscally smart thing and made it 1 year + 3 year team option. VERY happy about that.

That type of contract is full of forward thinking and exactly the type of thing we should be looking for from the team.

LOL for Jared Allen. Only way he gets that kind of money is if a team needs to hit the minimum cap. Definitely won't be from us. That type of deal would have made me absolutely hate our front office.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:41 AM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Yeah, I wouldn't say love but about what we should've expected. We had no space. We lost a couple but got the guy they really wanted and a couple other possible depth players. Pretty decent. Ware leaving was tough but you have to think marinelli influenced that in some way, he didn't see ware making the kind of impact that justified keeping him at that price. We still have the draft and you have to believe rod has a plan in place to improve this D.

Last edited by Jas : 03-19-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:46 AM    (permalink
dsc1600
Veteran

dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah, I wouldn't say love but about what we should've expected. We had no space. We lost a couple but got the guy they really wanted and a couple other possible depth players. Pretty decent. Ware leaving was tough but you have to think marinelli influenced that in some way, he didn't see ware making the kind of impact that justified keeping him at that price. We still have the draft and you have to believe rod has a plan in place to improve this D.
It's the offseason we had to have. Make a tough decision with D Ware, go younger at DT, replace a 32 yr old who had one really good year with a 27 yr old, getting rid of the last of the "wow, it's windy out there, my hamstring is acting up" players in Austin. Now we're much better prepared to keep Tyron, keep Dez. If we get 2 starters and some decent depth out of this draft, this franchise is well positioned to continue to be in that 7-9 to 10-6 range for the next few years, which keeps you relevant, in the playoff hunt and capable of a run.
dsc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:39 PM    (permalink
proof
Rookie

proof is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proof is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proof is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proof is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proof is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proof is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proof is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proof is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proof is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proof is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proof is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

only way things could have gone better at this point is if ware would have agreed to a paycut. as it stands though, these are some smart moves by the cowboys and you don't get to say that very often, let alone in succession.

very impressed at the details of the contract as well.
proof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:45 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good video on melton. Shows you him as a person.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:11 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They really made out well with the Melton deal. That was probably the best possible way that they could get a top talent like that. I'm sure playing with his old coach in his hometown helped, but they played it smart this time.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:03 PM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The deal seems great in theory but barring him turning this defence around singlehandedly, he's going to be a free agent next year at those numbers. One year rentals do us good in theory but here we will be giving the player a "sniff" and then taking that away which can result in unhappiness and an inability to lock him up at a manageable figure if that's what we want.