Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 03-19-2014, 11:50 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_man View Post
The deal seems great in theory but barring him turning this defence around singlehandedly, he's going to be a free agent next year at those numbers. One year rentals do us good in theory but here we will be giving the player a "sniff" and then taking that away which can result in unhappiness and an inability to lock him up at a manageable figure if that's what we want.
It's all up to them if they want to keep him longer. If he looks good they can exercise their option and give him three more years. He's only going to count $2.75 million against the cap this year, and if they exercise their option he'll make more than that over the next three years. He's 27 now, so if all goes well he'll be here for four years. At that point that's when people get antsy about older players anyway, so he wouldn't be around that long.

That contract is almost picture perfect because it's low risk and high reward. If he doesn't play well, they're bringing in a new D coordinator, etc. then he won't cost more than $2.75 million this year. If he plays like he did in the past they get a Pro Bowl player for 4 years before he leaves his prime. As Peter Griffin would say it's win freaking win baby!

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:04 PM    (permalink
SugarSean
Rookie

SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not scrolling through a million pages to see if this stuff has already been discussed but I'd like to know everyone's thoughts on these things:

I'm big on identity. Over the last 10 years, the Giants and Steelers have more titles than anyone else even though most wouldn't consider them the best teams of the last 10 years. I believe it's because they remain true to their identity...they know what they're good at and they stick to it. The Patriots won 3 SB's playing Patriot ball and haven't won **** since they tried to build their version of a Peyton Manning team. I live in New Orleans and I've been taking a ton of heat from my Saints fans friends but I hated the Jairyus Bird signing for them. I think they're trying to beat the Seahawks by playing Seahawks ball instead of doing what they do best -- building a dominant oline, creating mismatches on the perimeter, scoring tons of points and forcing you into catch-up mode to increase turnover opportunites.

So much question is...what do you think is our identity? Do we even have one? What would you like Cowboys football to be?

Last edited by SugarSean : 03-20-2014 at 12:36 PM.
SugarSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:34 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarSean View Post
I'm not scrolling through a million pages to see if this stuff has already been discussed but I'd like to know everyone's thoughts on these things:

I'm big on identity. Over the last 10 years, the Giants and Steelers have more titles than anyone else even though most wouldn't consider them the best teams of the last 10 years. I believe it's because they remain true to their identity...they know what they're good at and they stick to it. The Patriots won 3 SB's playing Patriot ball and haven't won **** since they tried to build their version of a Peyton Manning team. I live in New Orleans and I've been taking a ton of heat from my Saints fans friends but I hated the Jairyus Bird signing for them. I think they're trying to beat the Seahawks by playing Seahawks ball instead of doing what they do best -- building a dominant oline, creating mismatches on the perimeter, scoring tons of points and forcing you into catch-up to increase turnover opportunites.

So much question is...what do you think is our identity? Do we even have one? What would you like Cowboys football to be?
A good question and yeah its one we discuss here quite a bit as its a criticism that seems fair and even Aikman commented on it recently. We seem to wanna immulate the hawks on defense as well to a degree. We change things up so much its difficult for this team to create an identity. What would I like the identity to be?
On offense like them to utilize the talent properly and adjust the play calling i.e. stop being so predictable but find some signature plays you know you execute well and can use on 3rd down. Stop abandoning the run when its working or when youre protecting a lead. On defense get after the QB, force turnovers get more aggressive in the secondary. But I'm not sure about identity, I'd like to hear what the others think. I honestly feel that a teams identity is shaped and molded by the HC and we haven't had one with an identity in awhile.

Last edited by Jas : 03-20-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:47 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So excited by Melton's contract. This is just brilliant.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/henry-melton/

First year (now): $1.73 million cap hit.

Then the three option years:
9.25 million
7.75 million
7.75 million

By comparison the guy we let walk (Hatcher):

With 10 million guaranteed. Honestly I couldn't praise the organization more with this contract. I think Jerry Jones has cost us a lot with his contracts but Stephen has been night and day in comparison since taking over the contract side.

Dallas Cowboys GM -Forum Mock
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:16 PM    (permalink
SugarSean
Rookie

SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas View Post
A good question and yeah its one we discuss here quite a bit as its a criticism that seems fair and even Aikman commented on it recently. We seem to wanna immulate the hawks on defense as well to a degree. We change things up so much its difficult for this team to create an identity. What would I like the identity to be?
On offense like them to utilize the talent properly and adjust the play calling i.e. stop being so predictable but find some signature plays you know you execute well and can use on 3rd down. Stop abandoning the run when its working or when youre protecting a lead. On defense get after the QB, force turnovers get more aggressive in the secondary. But I'm not sure about identity, I'd like to hear what the others think. I honestly feel that a teams identity is shaped and molded by the HC and we haven't had one with an identity in awhile.
I believe we're exactly where we should be as a franchise since we're not able to answer that question. There is no such thing as Cowboys football since Jimmy Johnson left. Now all we do is chase the cool. Oh, that worked for the Patriots this year? Ok let's try to do that next year. Oh, that worked for the Bears last year? Ok let's try to do that next year. We're basically an amalgam of bits and pieces of other teams which makes us, ultimately, end up as nothing. Every single year you know exactly what you're up against when you see the Sean Payton Saints on your schedule. Same thing for any Peyton Manning team. Same thing for the Belichek/Brady Patriots. Same goes for pretty much every team that is consistently better than us.

Last edited by SugarSean : 03-20-2014 at 01:26 PM.
SugarSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:06 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
So excited by Melton's contract. This is just brilliant.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/henry-melton/

First year (now): $1.73 million cap hit.

Then the three option years:
9.25 million
7.75 million
7.75 million

By comparison the guy we let walk (Hatcher):

With 10 million guaranteed. Honestly I couldn't praise the organization more with this contract. I think Jerry Jones has cost us a lot with his contracts but Stephen has been night and day in comparison since taking over the contract side.
Amen. I simply didn't think these kinds of deals were possible and with Melton pretty much going on a rock tour through the NFL, I thought for SURE we would be dishing out some cabbage.

$1.7M with bonus incentives??? That's just ridiculously unbelievable. Way too good to be true to expect this to be a common practice going forward.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:25 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I'm big on identity. Over the last 10 years, the Giants and Steelers have more titles than anyone else even though most wouldn't consider them the best teams of the last 10 years. I believe it's because they remain true to their identity...they know what they're good at and they stick to it. The Patriots won 3 SB's playing Patriot ball and haven't won **** since they tried to build their version of a Peyton Manning team. I live in New Orleans and I've been taking a ton of heat from my Saints fans friends but I hated the Jairyus Bird signing for them. I think they're trying to beat the Seahawks by playing Seahawks ball instead of doing what they do best -- building a dominant oline, creating mismatches on the perimeter, scoring tons of points and forcing you into catch-up mode to increase turnover opportunites.

Nope, we do not have one. Not one aspect of our team is dominate. If we drafted another stud Offensive Linemen we would have the oppurtunity to run it down peoples throats but knowing our coach he would only get 10-15 carries even averaging 6YPC. We need an idenity badly, been saying it for a while now.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:30 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn 10m
Jared Allen is working on final details of a contract with the SB champion Seattle Seahawks. Barring unforeseen issues, he could sign today
The rich get richer.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 03-20-2014, 03:35 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Quote:
I believe we're exactly where we should be as a franchise since we're not able to answer that question. There is no such thing as Cowboys football since Jimmy Johnson left. Now all we do is chase the cool. Oh, that worked for the Patriots this year? Ok let's try to do that next year. Oh, that worked for the Bears last year? Ok let's try to do that next year. We're basically an amalgam of bits and pieces of other teams which makes us, ultimately, end up as nothing. Every single year you know exactly what you're up against when you see the Sean Payton Saints on your schedule. Same thing for any Peyton Manning team. Same thing for the Belichek/Brady Patriots. Same goes for pretty much every team that is consistently better than us.
I can't help but point out the obvious.... You just named Peyton, Brees, and Brady as the models of consistency. You especially hit the nail on the head when you said "any Peyton Manning team".

What is our identity? Despite 3 Head Coaching eras, why is our identity "Chokers"... "Good, but not good enough"... "Flash, but no substance"...

The answer is Tony Romo. Tony Romo is a highly complex figure. He will wow you with amazing flashes and break your heart when it matters. Our identity has undoubtedly been ever-evolving. The reason for that is our attempts to constantly adjust things to support him.

Last season was just classic. We gave Callahan the job as OC which brought in WCO concepts. The thought was that Romo would release the ball faster to more shorter routes and pick his chances to go deep. The thought behind it was sound. Our OL was a work in progress coming off a bad season. Giving Romo more chances to run boot legs, screens and 3 step drops seemed like a sound decision. We all loved it in the beginning. Well, as we started to find out the hard way, the the WCO didn't move the ball down field enough. Too many empty drives. So Garrett took back control and started doing his thing by going vertical again. Add to that problem... the team gave Romo more control over the offense and he made some critical bad mistakes that even forced Garrett to call him out on.

Over the years Romo has also changed. Naturally at his best, he is a gunslinger. Naturally at his worst, he is a gunslinger. When he's on a roll, he's one of the best in the league. But every so often, he'll be snakebitten by a mistake (either by his own fault or receivers fault) and will get into a shell and stop trusting our top go-to options. When he starts to play too safe, he starts to look like Captain Checkdown. He's made many a 3rd/4th WR look great over the years. But the problem with that is those guys are not going to carry our team like our 1st and 2nd options would. TO and Dez would disappear in games and we marvel at what happens when they would get their targets. Now Linehan is here. Linehan has been known as a guy who makes sure his top players get the ball. So I'm really excited about this.

Another part of our identity crisis is the man named Jason Garrett. Garrett has been the apple of Jerry's eye from the first day he arrived. But he wasn't an established coach. He's had to learn his way through and is still learning his way through. 2014 will be the first season since he was hired as HC that Jason Garrett will actually be the full time HC! The man is FINALLY starting to get it. He won't secretly be the real OC behind closed doors anymore. Let's be frank. Garrett has been trying to do too much and the Cowboys have had mental coaching breakdowns throughout Garrett's reign. Dealing with a new HC on the NFL level when he had never been a HC on any level before was already set out to be a long learning experience for the Cowboys. I do feel like we're starting to get our house in order. Garrett as HC, Linehan as OC and Marinelli as DC is a sound foundation. The only odd piece of the pie is Callahan, but this is Jerry's doing.

So let's get to good 'ole Jerry. There's no excusing this man from the equation when you're talking about the Cowboys not having an identity. Or contrary to that having an identity "All Flash, No Subtance"... Some people say that he's only got an eye towards making money and could care less about winning, but I refute that opinion. Jerry has always been there to foot the bill. His problem is that his investments quite frequently always seem to fail him. People say he doesn't spend picks on OL and DL and then ignore the fact they are always consistently one of the 2 of the highest paid units on the team. It's not like he doesn't care about establishing a winning football team, it's that he will overpay to keep his darlings to the point of diminishing returns and that the people he surrounds himself with to make collaborative decisions end up being "Good, but not good enough".

Our offensive football identity is pretty clear. We are not a short passing game type offense. We are not a smash mouth running offense. Our identity under Garrett has clearly favored a heavy vertical passing attack. We will still be a heavy vertical passing team, but Linehan is expected to bring more balance to the running game and get the RBs more involved (especially in the passing aspect). We saw him in STL where he made Steven Jackson a focal point of the offense. We saw him make use of Jhavid Best and Reggie Bush in the same way in Detroit. When his RBs are part of the attack on the ground and in the air, Linehan has put together some powerful offenses. Dallas' identity is OFFENSE. We have always had spectacular weapons throughout the years. That is who we are and what our identity is. STARS.

Unfortunately on defense, our identity can fairly be labeled as FINESSE. I hate it, but it's true. The reason why it's true is because we haven't had the big uglies up front. Haven't had it since the 90's. We've had good finesse guys like La'Roi Glover, Jason Ferguson, Jay Ratliff, Jason Hatcher... but we never invested in the NT properly during the whole era of 3-4 Defense. It was frustrating beyond limits for me. Now we have a Tampa2 defense founded on front 4 pressure and hard hitting concepts based on players collapsing in on zones. But we're pretty much a hogwash mess. Too many question marks. Marinelli has a tough task ahead of him. Interested to see what he makes of this. Will our CBs be tasked to play more man? Will they rely on getting protection on top from the safeties or will they rely on getting help down low by a more pressure in the front 7? What will Crawford be? DE or DT? Can he salvage Bruce Carter? Will it be at WLB, MLB, SLB? Nickel pass rusher? Carter showed tremendous blitz abiltiy when tasked. Can Marinelli develop Claiborne? Webb? Wilcox? Will Carr move to S? Will he show his draft savvy? You KNOW he will have a huge say in our defensive picks.

Our offensive identity has been heavy on the pass. That's not going to change, but we should start to see more balance. Our defensive identity is swarming defense built off more speed and less size. Our organization's identity is that of being "Chokers", "Good, but not good enough"... "All flash, no subtance". ...and that won't change until we start winning. I do feel good about our direction and our coaching staff is solid. So hopefully this team starts to take the next step. That will start with the draft in May. Hold onto your seats! GO COWBOYS!!!!!
Old 03-20-2014, 04:09 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I can't help but point out the obvious.... You just named Peyton, Brees, and Brady as the models of consistency. You especially hit the nail on the head when you said "any Peyton Manning team".

What is our identity? Despite 3 Head Coaching eras, why is our identity "Chokers"... "Good, but not good enough"... "Flash, but no substance"...

The answer is Tony Romo. Tony Romo is a highly complex figure. He will wow you with amazing flashes and break your heart when it matters. Our identity has undoubtedly been ever-evolving. The reason for that is our attempts to constantly adjust things to support him.

Last season was just classic. We gave Callahan the job as OC which brought in WCO concepts. The thought was that Romo would release the ball faster to more shorter routes and pick his chances to go deep. The thought behind it was sound. Our OL was a work in progress coming off a bad season. Giving Romo more chances to run boot legs, screens and 3 step drops seemed like a sound decision. We all loved it in the beginning. Well, as we started to find out the hard way, the the WCO didn't move the ball down field enough. Too many empty drives. So Garrett took back control and started doing his thing by going vertical again. Add to that problem... the team gave Romo more control over the offense and he made some critical bad mistakes that even forced Garrett to call him out on.

Over the years Romo has also changed. Naturally at his best, he is a gunslinger. Naturally at his worst, he is a gunslinger. When he's on a roll, he's one of the best in the league. But every so often, he'll be snakebitten by a mistake (either by his own fault or receivers fault) and will get into a shell and stop trusting our top go-to options. When he starts to play too safe, he starts to look like Captain Checkdown. He's made many a 3rd/4th WR look great over the years. But the problem with that is those guys are not going to carry our team like our 1st and 2nd options would. TO and Dez would disappear in games and we marvel at what happens when they would get their targets. Now Linehan is here. Linehan has been known as a guy who makes sure his top players get the ball. So I'm really excited about this.

Another part of our identity crisis is the man named Jason Garrett. Garrett has been the apple of Jerry's eye from the first day he arrived. But he wasn't an established coach. He's had to learn his way through and is still learning his way through. 2014 will be the first season since he was hired as HC that Jason Garrett will actually be the full time HC! The man is FINALLY starting to get it. He won't secretly be the real OC behind closed doors anymore. Let's be frank. Garrett has been trying to do too much and the Cowboys have had mental coaching breakdowns throughout Garrett's reign. Dealing with a new HC on the NFL level when he had never been a HC on any level before was already set out to be a long learning experience for the Cowboys. I do feel like we're starting to get our house in order. Garrett as HC, Linehan as OC and Marinelli as DC is a sound foundation. The only odd piece of the pie is Callahan, but this is Jerry's doing.

So let's get to good 'ole Jerry. There's no excusing this man from the equation when you're talking about the Cowboys not having an identity. Or contrary to that having an identity "All Flash, No Subtance"... Some people say that he's only got an eye towards making money and could care less about winning, but I refute that opinion. Jerry has always been there to foot the bill. His problem is that his investments quite frequently always seem to fail him. People say he doesn't spend picks on OL and DL and then ignore the fact they are always consistently one of the 2 of the highest paid units on the team. It's not like he doesn't care about establishing a winning football team, it's that he will overpay to keep his darlings to the point of diminishing returns and that the people he surrounds himself with to make collaborative decisions end up being "Good, but not good enough".

Our offensive football identity is pretty clear. We are not a short passing game type offense. We are not a smash mouth running offense. Our identity under Garrett has clearly favored a heavy vertical passing attack. We will still be a heavy vertical passing team, but Linehan is expected to bring more balance to the running game and get the RBs more involved (especially in the passing aspect). We saw him in STL where he made Steven Jackson a focal point of the offense. We saw him make use of Jhavid Best and Reggie Bush in the same way in Detroit. When his RBs are part of the attack on the ground and in the air, Linehan has put together some powerful offenses. Dallas' identity is OFFENSE. We have always had spectacular weapons throughout the years. That is who we are and what our identity is. STARS.

Unfortunately on defense, our identity can fairly be labeled as FINESSE. I hate it, but it's true. The reason why it's true is because we haven't had the big uglies up front. Haven't had it since the 90's. We've had good finesse guys like La'Roi Glover, Jason Ferguson, Jay Ratliff, Jason Hatcher... but we never invested in the NT properly during the whole era of 3-4 Defense. It was frustrating beyond limits for me. Now we have a Tampa2 defense founded on front 4 pressure and hard hitting concepts based on players collapsing in on zones. But we're pretty much a hogwash mess. Too many question marks. Marinelli has a tough task ahead of him. Interested to see what he makes of this. Will our CBs be tasked to play more man? Will they rely on getting protection on top from the safeties or will they rely on getting help down low by a more pressure in the front 7? What will Crawford be? DE or DT? Can he salvage Bruce Carter? Will it be at WLB, MLB, SLB? Nickel pass rusher? Carter showed tremendous blitz abiltiy when tasked. Can Marinelli develop Claiborne? Webb? Wilcox? Will Carr move to S? Will he show his draft savvy? You KNOW he will have a huge say in our defensive picks.

Our offensive identity has been heavy on the pass. That's not going to change, but we should start to see more balance. Our defensive identity is swarming defense built off more speed and less size. Our organization's identity is that of being "Chokers", "Good, but not good enough"... "All flash, no subtance". ...and that won't change until we start winning. I do feel good about our direction and our coaching staff is solid. So hopefully this team starts to take the next step. That will start with the draft in May. Hold onto your seats! GO COWBOYS!!!!!
There you go, we do have an identity, the heartbreaking mediocre chokers. lol
Old 03-20-2014, 04:24 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's the QB...has been since the Seattle Slip.
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:56 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

LOL. 18 years people, 18 years. But, but, Romo has only started for the last nine? Well im sure while Romo was in Jr high, HS, and College, he was somehow responsible for those years too.

Romo 31 TDs and 10 picks with 4 forth Q comebacks. HE SUCKS!!

Eli 18 TDs and 27 picks, HES A HOF'er!!!

Cracks me up how clueless people are. TR is just a product of the enviroment the GM has created before, during, and after he is gone. This isnt ending anytime soon unfortunatly.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:11 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
LOL. 18 years people, 18 years. But, but, Romo has only started for the last nine? Well im sure while Romo was in Jr high, HS, and College, he was somehow responsible for those years too.

Romo 31 TDs and 10 picks with 4 forth Q comebacks. HE SUCKS!!

Eli 18 TDs and 27 picks, HES A HOF'er!!!

Cracks me up how clueless people are. TR is just a product of the enviroment the GM has created before, during, and after he is gone. This isnt ending anytime soon unfortunatly.
It's all relative. The Great New England Patriots and Tom Brady haven't won a SB in 10 years. TB isn't the problem! So I guess they must have a terrible GM too. Oh wait.. their GM is Belichick... My brain cannot compute this!!!

...I also think it's cute that you relate stats to being a HOF'er. WINNING makes HOF'ers. Eli has been clutch in the face of pressure at times where Romo has melted. If Romo wins a couple of SBs there's no doubt that he'll be a HOF'er... but right now, he is not. That's the facts. Accept it.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:11 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

This team and organization can't put it all on the QB, yeah he makes too many boneheaded mistakes but I think the thing this team has lacked for the last 18 years is a HC who can shape and mold the team into his image, Johnson was very good at that being he had a psychology background and Parcells had them in the right direction briefly, but ultimately the team should take on the persona of a strong HC, who has an idea about what he wants to build.
We haven't had one since Parcells and Jerry's involvement doesn't help because he wants them to take on his persona which is as D-Unit said flash over substance, I mean just take a look at the stadium..lol.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:14 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
It's all relative. The Great New England Patriots and Tom Brady haven't won a SB in 10 years. TB isn't the problem! So I guess they must have a terrible GM too. Oh wait.. their GM is Belichick... My brain cannot compute this!!!

...I also think it's cute that you relate stats to being a HOF'er. WINNING makes HOF'ers. Eli has been clutch in the face of pressure at times where Romo has melted. If Romo wins a couple of SBs there's no doubt that he'll be a HOF'er... but right now, he is not. That's the facts. Accept it.
Now that makes sense. Is that the same Brady you say rises above all the short comings to make everybody around him better? Ummmm yeah. Thought so. Lol

Old 03-20-2014, 05:19 PM    (permalink
SugarSean
Rookie

Quote:

As always, I agree with everything except the Romo part. If you notice, the first teams I mentioned (Giants and Steelers) about success due to staying true to their identity do NOT have an elite QB. Not even close. Only Peyton Manning has an argument that he can be bigger than the whole organization. You've gotten to see the Patriots without Brady. 11-5. You've gotten to see Brees before Sean Payton. Wasn't nearly the same player. Culture matters. The organization matters. It's bigger than one player. You are 100% wrong if you think Tony Romo is the reason for the majority of this organizations failures. Going through a new coaching staff every couple of years matters. The 2009 draft matters more than that pick Romo threw late against GB last year. Leading the league in dead money every year hurts us more than the TERRIBLE game Romo had in wk 17 of 2012 against Washington (worst game of his career imo). You can't list 10 things wrong with Cowboys and say but at the end of the day it all goes back to Tony Romo. Those other 9 things matter.

D Unit, I've read a lot of your stuff on this thread. You obviously know a lot about football but your criticism of Romo wreaks of someone using convenience to push an agenda. You KNOW the Cowboys have issues. Tons of issues. You can't just conveniently ignore them all when Romo has a bad game. Organizational stability is incredibly important to on-field success. All that we know about Romo so far is that he's not good enough to transcend all of the issues we have organizationally. But if you really think about it, who is good enough to have put banners up for the Cowboys with all of the issues we've had since '06? Peyton Manning may have been able to get us one ring in that time frame...but he's been with more sound organizations and put up a whole 1 in 12 years as a starter. Aaron Rodgers (the best QB in the NFL imo) probably could have but who knows how he'd be affected going from one of the best organizations to one of the worst.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:19 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
This team and organization can't put it all on the QB, yeah he makes too many boneheaded mistakes but I think the thing this team has lacked for the last 18 years is a HC who can shape and mold the team into his image, Johnson was very good at that being he had a psychology background and Parcells had them in the right direction briefly, but ultimately the team should take on the persona of a strong HC, who has an idea about what he wants to build.
We haven't had one since Parcells and Jerry's involvement doesn't help because he wants them to take on his persona which is as D-Unit said flash over substance, I mean just take a look at the stadium..lol.
Exactly right. Romo would have 3 rings too if Jimmy wouldnt have left. When the "GM" wanted to prove his title meant something is when this franchise turned into the Clevlands, Jax, and Arizona's of the league. He has no idea how to fix it just like he had no idea how to substain it or build on it. Lets have a STs draft!!! Wheeeeeeeeee what a JOKE!

Old 03-20-2014, 05:23 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
As always, I agree with everything except the Romo part. If you notice, the first teams I mentioned (Giants and Steelers) about success due to staying true to their identity do NOT have an elite QB. Not even close. Only Peyton Manning has an argument that he can be bigger than the whole organization. You've gotten to see the Patriots without Brady. 11-5. You've gotten to see Brees before Sean Payton. Wasn't nearly the same player. Culture matters. The organization matters. It's bigger than one player. You are 100% wrong if you think Tony Romo is the reason for the majority of this organizations failures. Going through a new coaching staff every couple of years matters. The 2009 draft matters more than that pick Romo threw late against GB last year. Leading the league in dead money every year hurts us more than the TERRIBLE game Romo had in wk 17 of 2012 against Washington (worst game of his career imo). You can't list 10 things wrong with Cowboys and say but at the end of the day it all goes back to Tony Romo. Those other 9 things matter.

D Unit, I've read a lot of your stuff on this thread. You obviously know a lot about football but your criticism of Romo wreaks of someone using convenience to push an agenda. You KNOW the Cowboys have issues. Tons of issues. You can't just conveniently ignore them all when Romo has a bad game. Organizational stability is incredibly important to on-field success. All that we know about Romo so far is that he's not good enough to transcend all of the issues we have organizationally. But if you really think about it, who is good enough to have put banners up for the Cowboys with all of the issues we've had since '06? Peyton Manning may have been able to get us one ring in that time frame...but he's been with more sound organizations and put up a whole 1 in 12 years as a starter. Aaron Rodgers (the best QB in the NFL imo) probably could have but who knows how he'd be affected going from one of the best organizations to one of the worst.
Quote:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to SugarSean again.
Great stuff bro! Romo isnt perfect but hes hardly the problem.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:24 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Now that makes sense. Is that the same Brady you say rises above all the short comings to make everybody around him better? Ummmm yeah. Thought so. Lol
Have you seen the team around him? He does make those around him better. No SB wins in that time, but a lot of playoff wins and 2 loss SB appearances. But I love the spin!!!
Old 03-20-2014, 05:25 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
While I haven't loved Garrett the playcaller, I have enjoyed Garrett the GM. At least there is some consistency in that department.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:48 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:

Tony Romo is a good QB. He is not THE ONLY reason why we haven't won with him, but he is certainly PART OF IT.

Yes, there are other positions we can fix that would provide us with a bigger upgrade. Yes, this team has had cap issues. Yes, there has been inconsistency in coaching hires. Yes, we haven't hit in every draft. I do not hide any criticism against Jerry for these reasons. I BASHED him for firing Rob. I BASHED the 2009 draft on Draft day when people were telling me to give it a chance first. When I see Romo lose a game for us, I BASH him too. Like seriously... there is no going around the fact, that the guy has single handedly lost games for us with the decisions he's made. Games that we could've won otherwise. We can't pin all of our problems on Patrick Crayton, can we??? Coaching is part of it to and I have frequently thrown BASH Parties for Garrett's piss poor playcalling. He has put Tony in many losing situations with his mismanagement of games.

So I have clearly not solely pointed to Romo for ALL of our problems. He's been on the winning side too many times to pin all of it on him. But until he proves me otherwise, he will always be a QB who chokes when it really matters.

There's a lot of blame to go around... From the owner, to the coaches, to the scouts, to the QB, to the big money players not living up to their contracts.

Hope you stick around though SugarSean. You bring interesting thoughts to the table!
Old 03-20-2014, 05:52 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Have you seen the team around him? He does make those around him better. No SB wins in that time, but a lot of playoff wins and 2 loss SB appearances. But I love the spin!!!
Isnt winning the only thing that matters? One side of your mouth says Brady is the GOAT, the other side says he hasnt won a SB in 10 years so he cant be all that good.

Ive got Travis Fredrick as my 5th rated Center, Cowboys draft him in the 1st round and now its a GREAT pick!!

I dont want Melton, hes got too many issues, 2 days later I want Melton hes just what we need!!

Next year we are going to Suck! 4-12, a week later I think we are going to be good, cant wait for the season! LOL

You are the MASTER of spin, maybe its rubbing off?

Last edited by pocketaces : 03-20-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:57 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Tony Romo is a good QB. He is not THE ONLY reason why we haven't won with him, but he is certainly PART OF IT.

Yes, there are other positions we can fix that would provide us with a bigger upgrade. Yes, this team has had cap issues. Yes, there has been inconsistency in coaching hires. Yes, we haven't hit in every draft. I do not hide any criticism against Jerry for these reasons. I BASHED him for firing Rob. I BASHED the 2009 draft on Draft day when people were telling me to give it a chance first. When I see Romo lose a game for us, I BASH him too. Like seriously... there is no going around the fact, that the guy has single handedly lost games for us with the decisions he's made. Games that we could've won otherwise. We can't pin all of our problems on Patrick Crayton, can we??? Coaching is part of it to and I have frequently thrown BASH Parties for Garrett's piss poor playcalling. He has put Tony in many losing situations with his mismanagement of games.

So I have clearly not solely pointed to Romo for ALL of our problems. He's been on the winning side too many times to pin all of it on him. But until he proves me otherwise, he will always be a QB who chokes when it really matters.

There's a lot of blame to go around... From the owner, to the coaches, to the scouts, to the QB, to the big money players not living up to their contracts.

Hope you stick around though SugarSean. You bring interesting thoughts to the table!
And the 9 years Pre-Romo? 18 years of the SOS. Wonder who all has been around during that whole 18 year tenure? Hmmmm

Last edited by pocketaces : 03-20-2014 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:05 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
One minute you say Belichick is a GREAT GM, now your saying Brady doesnt have anything around him? And I spin?

Old 03-20-2014, 06:06 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Isnt winning the only thing that matters? One side of your mouth says Brady is the GOAT, the other side says he hasnt won a SB in 10 years so he cant be all that good.

Ive got Travis Fredrick as my 5th rated Center, Cowboys draft him in the 1st round and now its a GREAT pick!!

I dont want Melton, hes got too many issues, 2 days later I want Melton hes just what we need!!

You are the MASTER of spin, maybe its rubbing off?
I will try to respond to you very clearly and see if you can get it.

Brady makes those around him better. He is a true franchise QB. The Patriots haven't had a great team around him. In fact, they have gone through several phases of cutting or losing their key players.

So they haven't won a SB in 10 years. This does not mean that Brady is a bad QB. Try not to think that because it's a terrible interpretation. They have consistently made the playoffs and lost in 2 SBs. Rather, it's a reflection to show just how hard it is to win a SB. When you say the Cowboys haven't won won in 18 years, you're making it sound like it's supposed to be easier than that. It really is not like that at all. The Seahawks just won thier 1st! The great Peyton only has 1! Winning a SB is not easy. Everytime you cry 18 years it goes one ear and out the next and we look at you like a petulant child whinning about his toy (Jimmy) being taken away from him.

--------

...and new information and added thought ISN'T a poor reflection of changing one's mind. New information and added thought and NOT changing your mind out of stubborness despite being clearly wrong IS! You STILL don't get that do you?