Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 03-20-2014, 06:08 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
One minute you say Belichick is a GREAT GM, now your saying Brady doesnt have anything around him? And I spin?
I never said he's a great GM. I think he's a great coach, but not a great GM. I think popular opinion says he's a great GM though.

...yes, you are spinning on the top of your head today.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:32 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I will try to respond to you very clearly and see if you can get it.

Brady makes those around him better. He is a true franchise QB. The Patriots haven't had a great team around him. In fact, they have gone through several phases of cutting or losing their key players.

So they haven't won a SB in 10 years. This does not mean that Brady is a bad QB. Try not to think that because it's a terrible interpretation. They have consistently made the playoffs and lost in 2 SBs. Rather, it's a reflection to show just how hard it is to win a SB. When you say the Cowboys haven't won won in 18 years, you're making it sound like it's supposed to be easier than that. It really is not like that at all. The Seahawks just won thier 1st! The great Peyton only has 1! Winning a SB is not easy. Everytime you cry 18 years it goes one ear and out the next and we look at you like a petulant child whinning about his toy (Jimmy) being taken away from him.

--------

...and new information and added thought ISN'T a poor reflection of changing one's mind. New information and added thought and NOT changing your mind out of stubborness despite being clearly wrong IS! You STILL don't get that do you?
YOU made it a point to say that NE hasnt won a SB in 10 years and how its not Bradys fault and it cant be the GMs fault because its the great Belichick

Quote:
It's all relative. The Great New England Patriots and Tom Brady haven't won a SB in 10 years. TB isn't the problem! So I guess they must have a terrible GM too. Oh wait.. their GM is Belichick... My brain cannot compute this!!!
Then you go on to say Brady has nothing around him. No wonder my head is spinning.

Maybe you should do your research and really think about what your about to post before you actually post it. It might make things less confusing and you wont have to make a post that totally contradicts your other post(s) Maybe if you do some research and give some REAL thought about Romo, you'll change your mind on him too. Clearly you havent done any yet.

As far as the 18 years go, Im not even talking about winning a SB. We've won ONE playoff game. I know 8-8 and 135-135 works for you but it sure doesnt for me. Its a shame what Jerruh has turned this once proud franchise into.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:55 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
YOU made it a point to say that NE hasnt won a SB in 10 years and how its not Bradys fault and it cant be the GMs fault because its the great Belichick

Then you go on to say Brady has nothing around him. No wonder my head is spinning.

Maybe you should do your research and really think about what your about to post before you actually post it. It might make things less confusing and you wont have to make a post that totally contradicts your other post(s) Maybe if you do some research and give some REAL thought about Romo, you'll change your mind on him too. Clearly you havent done any yet.

As far as the 18 years go, Im not even talking about winning a SB. We've won ONE playoff game. I know 8-8 and 135-135 works for you but it sure doesnt for me. Its a shame what Jerruh has turned this once proud franchise into.
I didn't say it can't be Belichick's fault. You're just making up things with your piss poor inability to comprehend stuff. Your head is spinning on it's own.

Does anybody else get confused? Nope. Just you. Think about that.

Keep crying about the 18 years. It's a good look for you.

BTW, Tom Brady would do a hell of a lot better than 8-8 surrounded by the weapons Romo has had. Hell, just give him Dez alone. I wonder how much crying there would be around here if Romo's main weapons were Danny Amendola and Julian Edleman...
Old 03-20-2014, 08:12 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I didn't say it can't be Belichick's fault. You're just making up things with your piss poor inability to comprehend stuff. Your head is spinning on it's own.

Does anybody else get confused? Nope. Just you. Think about that.

Keep crying about the 18 years. It's a good look for you.

BTW, Tom Brady would do a hell of a lot better than 8-8 surrounded by the weapons Romo has had. Hell, just give him Dez alone. I wonder how much crying there would be around here if Romo's main weapons were Danny Amendola and Julian Edleman...
Nope, others are confused as well. I have the sack to call you out on it. If Brady were a Cowboy we'd still be 8-8 every year. GM problems. Funny how youve ignored the question about the 9 years before Romo became a starter. Coaches, QBs, and everybody in between come and go but our record remains the same. Im sure when Johnny becomes a bust you'll say you never liked him either after doing more research.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 03-20-2014, 08:24 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Nope, others are confused as well. I have the sack to call you out on it. If Brady were a Cowboy we'd still be 8-8 every year. GM problems. Funny how youve ignored the question about the 9 years before Romo became a starter. Coaches, QBs, and everybody in between come and go but our record remains the same. Im sure when Johnny becomes a bust you'll say you never liked him either after doing more research.
You're so full of yourself. Anybody can call me out on anything. It doesn't take balls. 9 years before Romo were a wreck because we had a lot of problems. We were stuck in salary cap abyss from the brand new NFL salary cap that was implemented in '94. Jerry couldn't buy his teams anymore. This is part of the reason why you are so spoiled in thinking that you deserve big named stars at every position including depth. So we were trying to win with our old expensive stars and not being able too because they were aging and not living up to the money they were earning. Plus, Jerry had piss poor HC's around him and anytime he's had poor council around him we have sucked ass. Jerry had much more control over the team back then and he was still new at the job. But to say he's the same person in the same role today is just telling yourself lies.

Keep telling yourself that Romo is on Brady's level and that we would've been winning SBs around here if Jimmy were coaching the team today. You're such a joke. Keep talking. This is turning into a classic.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:46 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
You're so full of yourself. Anybody can call me out on anything. It doesn't take balls. 9 years before Romo were a wreck because we had a lot of problems. We were stuck in salary cap abyss from the brand new NFL salary cap that was implemented in '94. Jerry couldn't buy his teams anymore. This is part of the reason why you are so spoiled in thinking that you deserve big named stars at every position including depth. So we were trying to win with our old expensive stars and not being able too because they were aging and not living up to the money they were earning. Plus, Jerry had piss poor HC's around him and anytime he's had poor council around him we have sucked ass. Jerry had much more control over the team back then and he was still new at the job. But to say he's the same person in the same role today is just telling yourself lies.

Keep telling yourself that Romo is on Brady's level and that we would've been winning SBs around here if Jimmy were coaching the team today. You're such a joke. Keep talking. This is turning into a classic.
Never said we had to have big name stars at every position, never said Romo is on Bradys level. Talk about piss poor comprehension. Between your lack of comprehension and changing your mind every 10 min your posts are classic on a daily basis. Jerry's system didnt work 18 years ago and its STILL not working today no matter how much changing you seem to think hes done. Hes a rich fan with no clue on how to build a winning roster. His ego ruined us. The joke is your excuse making for our worthless GM and cluless rants about our top 10 QB.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:03 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Never said we had to have big name stars at every position, never said Romo is on Bradys level. Talk about piss poor comprehension. Between your lack of comprehension and changing your mind every 10 min your posts are classic on a daily basis. Jerry's system didnt work 18 years ago and its STILL not working today no matter how much changing you seem to think hes done. Hes a rich fan with no clue on how to build a winning roster. His ego ruined us. The joke is your excuse making for our worthless GM and cluless rants about our top 10 QB.
Come back when Jerry is gone. You obviously have no hope for this team. Stop trying to troll anyone who wants to cheer for this team.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:09 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Come back when Jerry is gone. You obviously have no hope for this team. Stop trying to troll anyone who wants to cheer for this team.
Cheer away! Maybe you should come back after Romo is gone. Hes the one holding us back. And your the one who started this whole conversation ....AGAIN.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:23 PM    (permalink
SugarSean
Rookie

SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Tony Romo is a good QB. He is not THE ONLY reason why we haven't won with him, but he is certainly PART OF IT.

Yes, there are other positions we can fix that would provide us with a bigger upgrade. Yes, this team has had cap issues. Yes, there has been inconsistency in coaching hires. Yes, we haven't hit in every draft. I do not hide any criticism against Jerry for these reasons. I BASHED him for firing Rob. I BASHED the 2009 draft on Draft day when people were telling me to give it a chance first. When I see Romo lose a game for us, I BASH him too. Like seriously... there is no going around the fact, that the guy has single handedly lost games for us with the decisions he's made. Games that we could've won otherwise. We can't pin all of our problems on Patrick Crayton, can we??? Coaching is part of it to and I have frequently thrown BASH Parties for Garrett's piss poor playcalling. He has put Tony in many losing situations with his mismanagement of games.

So I have clearly not solely pointed to Romo for ALL of our problems. He's been on the winning side too many times to pin all of it on him. But until he proves me otherwise, he will always be a QB who chokes when it really matters.

There's a lot of blame to go around... From the owner, to the coaches, to the scouts, to the QB, to the big money players not living up to their contracts.

Hope you stick around though SugarSean. You bring interesting thoughts to the table!

Now we're on the same page. My grade on Romo is incomplete. I've seen enough brilliance from him to strongly believe that if he went to a better franchise he could lead a team to greatness but I've also seen enough headscratching times that would make unable to bet my life that he could do so. I just have a huge problem when people LOL at us every year during free agency. Then LOL at us every draft. Then LOL at us every summer when we sign undeserving players to ridiculous extensions. Then ignore all of that **** and put all of the blame on Romo b/c he happens to have a bad game the only time they happened to watch us all season. On average there's about two games a year where I want him dead and he is the sole reason for us losing. But even Brady, Manning, Brees usually have one of those every year. He's not elite, I agree. But even D Unit said put 2 rings on his finger and, even with everything else being the same in his career, he's a surefire HOF. Everyone's first knock on the guy is always something that has to do with TEAM success....December collapses, week 17 failures, playoff losses. Actually break them down. How many of those team failures can anyone honestly say we had in the bag if it just weren't for Romo? Not as many as you'd think. I'd characterize him as being uncharacteristically average in those situations. Def has proven he doesn't have the Michael Jordan jump-on-my-back-I'll-carry-you-singlehandedly gene but who really has? A lot of those other highly praised QB's greatest moments were uncharacteristically average performances, too. But nobody talks about that b/c they were saved by clutch special teams play, opportune turnovers, huge game-winning defensive stops and masterful coaching performances. All things the Cowboys rarely afford Romo.

As far as everyone else is concerned, I'm right there with you. I LOVE Garrett as a GM like you said earlier. I even love him overall as a head coach. He definitely has his deficiencies in certain high pressure situations. He definitely has no business running an offense in this era...philosophically too conservative. But even though I hated him more than Wade Phillips his first couple of full seasons, I'm starting to think that 10-20 years from now we'll look back and say he was a hell of a coach. It just might not be from his successes with us. I don't think he'll ever be able to mesh with Jerry. They're just too different to ever be on the same page.

I talk a lot of **** about Jerry but if he would just hire a GM, he'd be one of the best owners in the league. Some people act like he's the devil and is such an idiot b/c people like to act like we're the biggest joke in the league but the bottom line is Jimmy Johnson was a long time ago. Even Bill Parcells was long time ago. It's been all Jerry the last few years and, even though weren't not thriving, we're damn sure not the laughingstock some make us out to be. The only reason he takes as much heat as he does is b/c we're the Dallas Cowboys and we're supposed to be great. But there's a lot of GM's (and recently fired GM's) that talk **** about Jerry but can't or couldn't get their teams to .500.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:22 AM    (permalink
dsc1600
Veteran

dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This debate again?

Romo is a top 10 QB who doesn't play to that top 10 level when the chips are down. His stats in playoff games and regular season elimination games are much worse than his stats in other games and his record against QBs that are also top 10-12 QBs is abysmal. These are all facts, not "BSPN".

That said, if he had Belichek or another really good game manager coach, he'd have likely had to wait to the playoffs to do his choking act because like I've said before, 4 games the last 3 years Garrett has simply blown. You add those losses as victories, we're a playoff team 2 of the last 3 years.

Given that we've dominated sub-500 competition in the Garrett era, the talent level of this team is fairly high, we're not Seattle, but we're sure not Jacksonville either. The fact that we're awful against above .500 teams is both a product of Romo and Garrett. There are other factors sure, but they are the main culprits.
dsc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:55 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc1600 View Post
This debate again?

Romo is a top 10 QB who doesn't play to that top 10 level when the chips are down. His stats in playoff games and regular season elimination games are much worse than his stats in other games and his record against QBs that are also top 10-12 QBs is abysmal. These are all facts, not "BSPN".

That said, if he had Belichek or another really good game manager coach, he'd have likely had to wait to the playoffs to do his choking act because like I've said before, 4 games the last 3 years Garrett has simply blown. You add those losses as victories, we're a playoff team 2 of the last 3 years.

Given that we've dominated sub-500 competition in the Garrett era, the talent level of this team is fairly high, we're not Seattle, but we're sure not Jacksonville either. The fact that we're awful against above .500 teams is both a product of Romo and Garrett. There are other factors sure, but they are the main culprits.
Yeah, we just need to get a little less unlucky with our injuries too. 1 more win the last 3 years and we're a team that makes the playoffs 3 straight years. Whether it's Murray, Ware/Spencer, Lee...even Romo... We need to catch some breaks.

I especially feel like Murray going down for those few games every year is a really big killer. I really want us to go sure up that spot with another workhorse back so we're not stuck with 3rd down/scatbacks if he does get hurt.

One major thing that seems promising is the promotion of Marinelli to DC and addition of Linehan as OC with Garrett's handcuffs off. Our coaching changes are probably the biggest thing that causes me excitement about our offseason.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:23 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Cheer away! Maybe you should come back after Romo is gone. Hes the one holding us back. And your the one who started this whole conversation ....AGAIN.
When Sean asked what our identity is, I related it to Romo, Garrett and Jerry. I didn't blame Romo alone. It wasn't like I sought an opportunity to push an anti-Romo agenda. I put our identity blame on all of them.

I enjoy cheering for this team because I have hopes in them. I find happiness in stories of progress in player development, additions/changes that make sense to me (coaching wise/FA wise), LOVE the draft and I absolutely LOVE talking about them with you all. Even you! I can't find it in me to put you on ignore. LOL.

I definitely have the mindset of "show me first" with Romo, but he's forced me into that position. He's a very good QB, but I'm not excluding him from any blame until he starts winning. We HAVE HAD good teams around him, we still have the potential to put together another good team around him. We've been 8-8 the last 3 years and that definitely gives me hope that we are not miles away. We faced a lot of abnormally tough breaks last year and we still had a chance to get in the playoffs in Wk 17. If he ever gets in, if Romo can get hot... the sky is the limit (at the same time, so is the potential for heartbreak). It is what it is.

I just wish you would start to reason better on your opinion of Jerry. He really is more hands off than he was in the 90s. We have had our share of successful draft hits to balance off the bad picks. We are one of the teams that continually have to find cap space to resign our own guys. We have started to make better cap decisions with Stephen and Garrett has proven to have a pretty savvy draft influence. No matter what has happened in the past or how long it has been, that is not a legitimate reason to believe the reason we cannot win is because of Jerry.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:35 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
When Sean asked what our identity is, I related it to Romo, Garrett and Jerry. I didn't blame Romo alone. It wasn't like I sought an opportunity to push an anti-Romo agenda. I put our identity blame on all of them.

I enjoy cheering for this team because I have hopes in them. I find happiness in stories of progress in player development, additions/changes that make sense to me (coaching wise/FA wise), LOVE the draft and I absolutely LOVE talking about them with you all. Even you! I can't find it in me to put you on ignore. LOL.

I definitely have the mindset of "show me first" with Romo, but he's forced me into that position. He's a very good QB, but I'm not excluding him from any blame until he starts winning. We HAVE HAD good teams around him, we still have the potential to put together another good team around him. We've been 8-8 the last 3 years and that definitely gives me hope that we are not miles away. We faced a lot of abnormally tough breaks last year and we still had a chance to get in the playoffs in Wk 17. If he ever gets in, if Romo can get hot... the sky is the limit (at the same time, so is the potential for heartbreak). It is what it is.

I just wish you would start to reason better on your opinion of Jerry. He really is more hands off than he was in the 90s. We have had our share of successful draft hits to balance off the bad picks. We are one of the teams that continually have to find cap space to resign our own guys. We have started to make better cap decisions with Stephen and Garrett has proven to have a pretty savvy draft influence. No matter what has happened in the past or how long it has been, that is not a legitimate reason to believe the reason we cannot win is because of Jerry.
The problem with Jerry as I see it, is he bought the team, hired a great coach, and let the coach have control of all personnel which was great. When the coach started getting all the credit, Jerry couldnt stand it. 95% of all owners would LOVE to have a winning franchise and a great coach and all that comes with it, ie tickets sales, merchandise sales, and being known as one of the greatest owners in all of pro sports. He had it all but his ego couldnt sit back and see what he had, he was pissed because he wasnt getting credit for being the GM. Then he comes out and says 500 coaches could win a SB with the Dallas Cowboys and thats what ended what might have been a historic 10 year run. What qualifies Jerry to decide why player A is better than player B? He has NO qualifications, hes just a fan just like you and I except hes a rich one. He cannot rely on the Wades, Campos, and Garretts of the world because they arent qualified either. Jerry wants to be the FACE of the franchise when the face needs to be our HC. The only two HC's that had that stroke, Jerry couldnt stand working with because he wasnt the one getting all the credit. Its hard to even say hes a great owner because a great owner would have fired his GM long ago. You say Jerry listens to the people around him, well I say how good are those people? Is any one of them going to stand up to him and tell him no if he wants something? Doubtful. If they did they would probably be out of a job. You say your excited by the coaching hires, I ask how many will be here if we go 8-8 again or worse? Jerrys not going to take the blame, hes going to fire everybody around him...Again. I've give Jerry the benifit of the doubt. I know there are going to be pains after being the team of the 90's but it shouldnt take 20 years to rebuild or reload or to be a serious contender. You call me spoiled and your right, Ive been a fan since the mid 70s and the way the frachise was ran and the success we had spoiled me, but 1 playoff win in 18 years is totally unacceptable. Jerry loves him some Jerry. He wants the spotlight, he wants the cameras, he wants the talk shows, and if we dont have a strong HC he wants the players to come to him with any issues, even if those issues should be handled by the HC. Its not a good system and it hasnt worked. We need a HC that is STRONG in personnel, STRONG in the locker room, and demands excellence from his players and they fear him. I dont think Jerry can stomach hiring a guy like that again and why Im afraid we cant get out of this rut anytime soon. I would love nothing more for Jerry to prove me wrong and to see us get back to the team we used to be but I just cant see it happening. His ego is just too big. .

Old 03-21-2014, 03:53 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

*clicks on Dallas Cowboys discussion thread*

Talk about how Jerry Jones is terrible/great...

Talk about how Tony Romo is terrible/great...

Talk about how Jason Garrett is terrible/great...

Can we seriously leave those talking points to BSPN/media types? Zero reason informed fans are discussing garbage like this when there is actual football related stuff to talk about.

How about Melton's fit with Marinelli in our 4-3?

How about Marinelli's defensive playcalling tendancies and how they will impact Carr / Claiborne?

How about Linehan's one back culture vs Garrett's love of TEs?

Or perhaps Dallas 'power run' vs Linehan's more sleight of hand?

All of the above would be far less droll and would more than likely provide an enjoyable debate rather than a couple more pages of and The sides of every argument have already been drawn and debated to death.

Dallas Cowboys GM -Forum Mock
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:15 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
*clicks on Dallas Cowboys discussion thread*

Talk about how Jerry Jones is terrible/great...

Talk about how Tony Romo is terrible/great...

Talk about how Jason Garrett is terrible/great...

Can we seriously leave those talking points to BSPN/media types? Zero reason informed fans are discussing garbage like this when there is actual football related stuff to talk about.

How about Marinelli's defensive playcalling tendancies and how they will impact Carr / Claiborne?

All of the above would be far less droll and would more than likely provide an enjoyable debate rather than a couple more pages of and The sides of every argument have already been drawn and debated to death.
Funny you dont show up for days then bi*ch about the content. The above are all excellent topics, why dont you bring them up, give your opinion and open it up for debate instead of not showing up or adding to the discussion.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:35 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anytime I click on our discussion thread and it's a Jerry Jones/Romo debate I typically exit out. When I see people discussing something else I post :) Recently it's been a lot of JJ/Romo/JG/CowboysAreTerrible so I've been skipping since IMHO it isn't worth reading.

As far as my own talking points they were merely off the top of my head. There are a bunch of interesting storylines out there right now.

Melton is a perfect fit for Marinelli's scheme. He'll be attacking 1v1 with the left guard as well as stunting in both directions (outside the LT and attacking the C/RG gap). Melton has elite burst as well as short-speed which makes him a nightmare to keep track of on stunts.

This is one of the areas I'm 50/50 on. I think the majority of the issues of Carr/Claiborne is that our safeties last season couldn't handle the deep halves. This leads to the staff calling simpler assignments hence a ton of zone. That's also a Kiffin hallmark too. Marinelli will call a bunch of zones too. Get your groans in now. The difference is we'll see "press and bail" and "press and hold" in his scheme. Press and bail is simply you press on the snap and then drop into a deeper zone. Press and hold is merely pressing into a Cover-2 short zone. Overall I think both players will see an improvement.

I think it'll benefit both styles honestly. I think we'll see a ton of different packages which makes gameplanning our offense a lot more difficult. I foresee Escobar being a capable blocker this year and seeing more time on the field. I think Murray can thrive when the opposition doesn't know we're going to run the ball. 3 WR sets are going to be deadly provided the offensive line can block at an efficient level.

I sincerely hope we move towards Linehan here. I've always hated the power run sets we utilize as it doesn't fit our personnel. Utilize technique and positioning and you don't need to be a mauler to effectively run block. I think cutbacks, a huge dose of play action, and off-tackle draws will really open the playbook up in the running game.

Dallas Cowboys GM -Forum Mock
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:42 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Trog, you are awesome. Just sayin'.

We're an easily trollable bunch so we need people like you to tell us to stop. Let's get back to talking football instead of blame/credit and what we look like to the rest of the world.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:38 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1-Meltons fit in our 4-3 is ideal he seems as you mentioned not only able to shoot the gap and penetrate but when the end attacks inside hard he is very quick around the outside on stunts. Plus he benefits from being back with Marinelli so if he's recovered fully he should be very disruptive.

2-Marinelli's play calls, thats a good question, I think that will depend greatly on whether or not they acquire a safety that can give them more flexibility or if Wilcox shows he can handle things.

3-Linehans one back and running style-The one thing that I'm looking forward to with Linehan and the run game is getting the ball more often to the backs out of the back field, we have decent success with that and good personnel to employ it when we do. I hope we'll see a lot more passes to the backs this season.

Last edited by Jas : 03-21-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:45 PM    (permalink
SugarSean
Rookie

SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm on board. Just needed to vent for a lil bit. **** the Eagles. Cowboys 14-2 next year.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:07 PM    (permalink
SugarSean
Rookie

How about Melton's fit with Marinelli in our 4-3? Perfect fit. Can't wait.

How about Marinelli's defensive playcalling tendancies and how they will impact Carr / Claiborne? Not exactly sure of his history as a playcaller off the top of my head. When and where did he call plays? I'll look it up and give an opinion later.

How about Linehan's one back culture vs Garrett's love of TEs? I like the way Linehan utilized the TE's in Detroit better than we do actually.

Or perhaps Dallas 'power run' vs Linehan's more sleight of hand? I hope we don't get away from where we were good at last year but it seemed like Murray mostly excelled with zone looks. Linehan ran more of a power run game but he's much better than we were at getting the backs out in space. Excited to see how Dunbar looks in his scheme.

Overall, I think Linehan will be a slight upgrade but watching Detroit I never once felt like we absolutely have to go out and get this guy. Seems like a pretty uninspired hire.

Last edited by SugarSean : 03-21-2014 at 06:09 PM.
SugarSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:34 AM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm really looking forward to what should be a Marinelli draft, yeah they may throw in a G/T and that's a good thing, perhaps a WR later but this should be mostly a signature Marinelli draft based on what he's looking for...

"Yes, both Donald and Melton fit in at the same position. But if defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli’s proven anything in a year in Dallas, it’s that he wants and needs versatile, quick linemen with an ability to get up field.

He doesn’t refer to his linemen as linemen – they’re “rush men” in his eyes."
Old 03-23-2014, 04:34 AM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does anyone think we should have gotten aggressive and made a run at Sproles?

I like what he could have offered in the Passing Game compared to what we have at the moment. I think if we are looking at RB in the draft(as depressing a thought as that is.) We should be looking at competent pass catchers with good speed. Especially with Linehan and what he has done with Reggie Bush.

Also on the subject of Marinelli calling plays for our CB's. We signed Carr to a mecca deal. We moved way up to sign Claibourne. We obviously have high ratings on our Corners and their skills. I would like for him to rely moreso on their collective smarts and ability to diagnose as the play develops and give the Safeties more strict instructions. Obviously they have to go on the field with instructions but I would love to rely on our Smarter players(QB, WR, RB and CB's) to read and react instead of being in such a rigid system.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:21 AM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Always liked Sproles, would've liked to have seen him as a cowboy at some point in his career. Not as upset about them not making a play for him as I am that he landed in philly.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:07 PM    (permalink
dsc1600
Veteran

dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_man View Post
Does anyone think we should have gotten aggressive and made a run at Sproles?

I like what he could have offered in the Passing Game compared to what we have at the moment. I think if we are looking at RB in the draft(as depressing a thought as that is.) We should be looking at competent pass catchers with good speed. Especially with Linehan and what he has done with Reggie Bush.

Also on the subject of Marinelli calling plays for our CB's. We signed Carr to a mecca deal. We moved way up to sign Claibourne. We obviously have high ratings on our Corners and their skills. I would like for him to rely moreso on their collective smarts and ability to diagnose as the play develops and give the Safeties more strict instructions. Obviously they have to go on the field with instructions but I would love to rely on our Smarter players(QB, WR, RB and CB's) to read and react instead of being in such a rigid system.
I'm a fan of getting a Sproles-type player, not necessarily Sproles himself as his age is not a great factor. I am fearing him in an Eagle uniform, but I don't see him giving them great production for more than a year or so.
dsc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:06 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't have minded Sproles, but I have a feeling that they feel that Dunbar is that type of back already. It's too bad he got hurt right when he was coming on strong.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote