Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 04-01-2014, 12:13 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarSean View Post
You like Romo. Hate Manziel.
D Unit hates Romo. Loves Manziel.

They're the same goddamn player.
If Manziel manages to be top 5 all-time in QBR I will eat my shoe.

1. Aaron Rodgers (31) 104.9 2005-2013 gnb
2. Peyton Manning (38) 97.2 1998-2013 2TM
3. Steve Young+ 96.8 1985-1999 2TM
4. Philip Rivers (33) 96.0 2004-2013 sdg
5. Tony Romo (34) 95.8 2004-2013 dal
6. Tom Brady (37) 95.7 2000-2013 nwe
7. Drew Brees (35) 95.3 2001-2013 2TM
8. Kurt Warner 93.7 1998-2009 3TM
9. Ben Roethlisberger (32) 92.6 2004-2013 pit
10. Joe Montana+ 92.3 1979-1994 2TM

Hell. Make it top 10.

Dallas Cowboys GM -Forum Mock
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:32 PM    (permalink
SugarSean
Rookie

SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm a huge Romo fan. I just happen to think Manziel will be good, too. I"m not comparing career accomplishments b/c JM hasn't thrown a single pass in the NFL yet. But if you go back and look at Romo from '06, and consider that was w/ 3 years of NFL polish, he looks a lot like JM today.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:53 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post
Except one's proven himself a winner at some level
Curious whom that might be? I know you hate Romo so did Johnny win something that I missed? Conference champ? National Title? Anything?

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:56 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You like Romo. Hate Manziel.
D Unit hates Romo. Loves Manziel.

They're the same goddamn player.
Undrafted QB that exceeded expectations to become a quality NFL starter or a first round bust? Not sure that's the same. *Shrugs*

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 04-01-2014, 02:00 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We're not getting Johnny and we're not getting rid of Romo.

Let's talk about Tyrone Crawford. ESPN had an article about him saying Garrett wants to play him inside and outside, but they'll see where he's at and see where he's best at and they'll start to mold him. I think the lean is to play him inside though. Cause he said even if they did play him outside that he would still get snaps inside.

What do you guys predict for Crawford. Future starter or rotational depth guy?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:24 PM    (permalink
SugarSean
Rookie

SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I predict he and Matt Johnson will have the same fate....disappointments. The coaching staff seems to be unjustifiably high on them. I hope we draft as if we'd get nothing from Crawford this year. That way if he does contribute it'll be a bonus.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:28 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
We're not getting Johnny and we're not getting rid of Romo.

Let's talk about Tyrone Crawford. ESPN had an article about him saying Garrett wants to play him inside and outside, but they'll see where he's at and see where he's best at and they'll start to mold him. I think the lean is to play him inside though. Cause he said even if they did play him outside that he would still get snaps inside.

What do you guys predict for Crawford. Future starter or rotational depth guy?
I think he'll start some. I also think he'll be a good rotational guy if we get some upgrades. I see him more as a DT though. Whats your thoughts on the rumor we might be looking to trade for Fairley from Detroit? They are supposedly open to trading him.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:36 PM    (permalink
SugarSean
Rookie

I'd welcome it if the price was right. Basically, with the track record of us w/ late round picks I'd trade any late pick for any player w/ a pulse.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:46 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I predict he and Matt Johnson will have the same fate....disappointments. The coaching staff seems to be unjustifiably high on them. I hope we draft as if we'd get nothing from Crawford this year. That way if he does contribute it'll be a bonus.
I can see why they were high on Crawford. He wasn't a fit for the 3-4 to be honest, but he looked like he was making a nice transition his rookie season. Then they went back to a scheme that fits his skills more, and he unfortunately got hurt before they could really see how good he is for them. In a way he's still like a draft prospect, and from that perspective he's got some really good traits. The guy can move off the ball really fast, and I imagine they want to tap into that.

I don't know about Matt Johnson. I guess they really don't want another Jimmy Smith type deal where they let go of a guy before he has a chance to show them how good he is. He's not costing much right now, so they probably just want to give him as many chances as possible since they liked him a lot coming out. I hope he really proves them right, but I'm not counting on it.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:52 PM    (permalink
SugarSean
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
I hope he really proves them right, but I'm not counting on it.
Same here. If those two actually contribute we could make a Saints type turnaround of d this year.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:01 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I wish I could say that I had hope in Matt Johnson, but I'm with you. He's probably going to end up being another small school bust selection. History is not really on our side for small school draft picks. Surprising considering how we've been so good with small school UDFAs.

Recently... David Arkin, Robert Brewster, Jason Williams, AOA, Josh Thomas, Matt Johnson.... off the top of my head
Old 04-02-2014, 09:17 AM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

I just read an article that said that without Jimmy or Parcells, JJ's record of drafting a starter after the 3rd round is 5 for 84 or 4%. The only Pro Bowler was Nick Folk. Since 2009 we have drafted 27 players after the 3rd round and have gotten ZERO starters. In the 4 years that Parcells was here, he found 8 starters after the 3rd round. This has to change. I know the hit rate isnt going to be high but we are inept.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:23 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
I just read an article that said that without Jimmy or Parcells, JJ's record of drafting a starter after the 3rd round is 5 for 84 or 4%. The only Pro Bowler was Nick Folk. Since 2009 we have drafted 27 players after the 3rd round and have gotten ZERO starters. In the 4 years that Parcells was here, he found 8 starters after the 3rd round. This has to change. I know the hit rate isnt going to be high but we are inept.

Damn! Well, in a way I am not surprised. That's why I asked who of the Parcells era was on the team. Ware, Witten, Austin and Romo I believe off the top of my head were Parcells guys. Now 2 remain.

Our drafting has crashed since we hired Marc Ross who is god awful.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:44 AM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah, we have to get better at that, with 8 picks after the 3rd this year, we better secure some talent, and maybe hit on a couple of starters.
Last years group, BW Webb, Randle and Holloman seem to be contributors and decent depth at least if not starters.
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:03 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As bad as we are round 3-7...we have a lot of success with UDFA compared to the rest of the league. Just playing devil's advocate here.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:33 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I think I say this every day... who we draft is largely contingent on who are HC is. Even the coaching staff and scouts will get involved before Jerry.

Who Jerry surrounds himself with is the biggest factor for the Cowboys moves and success.

So we just need to stop with these kinds of twisted articles that come from ignorants who just like to trend themselves along with popular propoganda. We should be better than this by now.

It's no secret that our draft success relies on who our HC is. If Jerry picks a HC who doesn't have a keen eye for picking talent and coaching that up, then we're screwed. Luckily I think we have learned that Garrett has a good eye for it and has shown the ability to develop players. It goes hand in hand. We can draft great talent, but if we don't have a coach that can harness the best out of them, then of course those drafts will look bad. It's not just on picking the players, but coaching them up as well.

...and let's not pretend that even with these good coaches that **** ups don't happen. Parcells couldn't draft an OL to save his life.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:04 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I think I say this every day... who we draft is largely contingent on who are HC is. Even the coaching staff and scouts will get involved before Jerry.

Who Jerry surrounds himself with is the biggest factor for the Cowboys moves and success.

So we just need to stop with these kinds of twisted articles that come from ignorants who just like to trend themselves along with popular propoganda. We should be better than this by now.

It's no secret that our draft success relies on who our HC is. If Jerry picks a HC who doesn't have a keen eye for picking talent and coaching that up, then we're screwed. Luckily I think we have learned that Garrett has a good eye for it and has shown the ability to develop players. It goes hand in hand. We can draft great talent, but if we don't have a coach that can harness the best out of them, then of course those drafts will look bad. It's not just on picking the players, but coaching them up as well.

...and let's not pretend that even with these good coaches that **** ups don't happen. Parcells couldn't draft an OL to save his life.
That wasnt a "Jerruh sucks" post it was a "we need to get better in this area" post. Your so ultra sensitive to anything that has a negative light on the Cowboys. 96% failure rate is off the charts bad no matter who the coach is. 0-27 since 2009 means that Garrett is O'fer as well (to this point).

Also think that was the point. Jimmy, Parcells =great. Everybody else has sucked.

Last edited by pocketaces : 04-02-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:19 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Another visitor for us.

Quote:
Alex Marvez
Pre-draft visits for @OhioStFootball LB @RyanShazier: @STLouisRams @buffalobills @dallascowboys @AZCardinals @RAIDERS @steelers @Patriots
I think he would be a great fit if we trade down. Put him at the Will and move Carter to the Sam. Might be the best LB group in the league.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:26 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Another visitor for us.

I think he would be a great fit if we trade down. Put him at the Will and move Carter to the Sam. Might be the best LB group in the league.
No thanks. Coach Carter up and start using him right. Shazier is a good blitzer. So is Carter. Monte never dialed him up enough, but when he did Carter was good generating pressure.

Who says they want the best 4-3 LB group in the league these days? I think you have the idea that if you have a dominant unit, be it ANY unit, that that will finally satisfy you.

If you want one, listen to what I keep telling you. Build a dominant secondary. Just look at Seattle. Talented secondary, but a lesser talented yet deeper lunch pail group in the front 7.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:46 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
No thanks. Coach Carter up and start using him right. Shazier is a good blitzer. So is Carter. Monte never dialed him up enough, but when he did Carter was good generating pressure.

Who says they want the best 4-3 LB group in the league these days? I think you have the idea that if you have a dominant unit, be it ANY unit, that that will finally satisfy you.

If you want one, listen to what I keep telling you. Build a dominant secondary. Just look at Seattle. Talented secondary, but a lesser talented yet deeper lunch pail group in the front 7.
Carter and Carr were the 2 biggest disappointments for me this past year. Why he didnt excell in this D the way Brooks did under Monte I dont know. I'd think its more the player than the coach.

Yeah, I see your point. Shame on me for wanting a dominate unit be it at LB, OL, DL, Secondary, wherever. Silly of me to want something like that.

Sorry for posting another visitor that historically, we have a high rate of drafting. Carry on.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:46 PM    (permalink
SugarSean
Rookie

Quote:
That wasnt a "Jerruh sucks" post it was a "we need to get better in this area" post. Your so ultra sensitive to anything that has a negative light on the Cowboys. 96% failure rate is off the charts bad no matter who the coach is. 0-27 since 2009 means that Garrett is O'fer as well (to this point).

Also think that was the point. Jimmy, Parcells =great. Everybody else has sucked.
I thought Parcells sucked too. He was just great in comparison to the other coaches we had around him. If you ignored the reputation of Parcells and just look at the moves we made when he was here, it'd be very underwhelming. We got the first year new coach bump in year 1...happens all the time. Then after that we were right back to the norm. In 06' we were falling apart until the move to Romo but Sean Payton brought Romo to Dallas no Parcells.

The 0-27 since 2009 is a very telling statistic and it's been a huge reason for why we always fall apart when some injuries occur. We never have depth. I don't care about us being slightly above average in getting contributions from UDFA b/c the only reason it's happening is b/c they're competing against the terrible players we drafted 4-7. If the problem was only player development you'd have to assume there'd at least be ONE person we drafted late recently that was so good he made it just off of talent alone. Shooting 0'fer has to mean talent evaluation is a problem, too. It's both. It seems like things have been going better the last couple years but it may just be the fan in me speaking.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:03 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I thought Parcells sucked too. He was just great in comparison to the other coaches we had around him. If you ignored the reputation of Parcells and just look at the moves we made when he was here, it'd be very underwhelming. We got the first year new coach bump in year 1...happens all the time. Then after that we were right back to the norm. In 06' we were falling apart until the move to Romo but Sean Payton brought Romo to Dallas no Parcells.

The 0-27 since 2009 is a very telling statistic and it's been a huge reason for why we always fall apart when some injuries occur. We never have depth. I don't care about us being slightly above average in getting contributions from UDFA b/c the only reason it's happening is b/c they're competing against the terrible players we drafted 4-7. If the problem was only player development you'd have to assume there'd at least be ONE person we drafted late recently that was so good he made it just off of talent alone. Shooting 0'fer has to mean talent evaluation is a problem, too. It's both. It seems like things have been going better the last couple years but it may just be the fan in me speaking.
I was speaking on Parcells record of finding guys after the 3rd round. Guys like Barber, Crayton, Ratliff, ect.

I agree with the rest of your post.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:01 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

I think our scouting department... most specifially Tom Ciskowski is a big weak link in that front office. His voice needs to go. I'm glad they are letting Clay get some more say in there. Sounds like some sense is finally getting through to them.

Our coaches can do a lot to help us figure out where to go in the early rounds, but it's ALL SCOUTING past that. ....and quite simply they have failed. They obviously have not gotten a clear picture of what the staff has wanted. The Shariff Floyd situation tells us that. I think they try to listen to the coaches and what they need for their system, but I also think they try to prove their own merit by ranking players according to their own confidences. Coaches don't have the time or ability to scout the games and evaluate talent like these scouts do, so they carry the biggest burden here. Jerry hires them to do that job and they have failed. Jerry is certainly not the one scouting guys like Matt Johnson and plucking him in the draft out of thin air. Jerry's failures are in his failures to surround him with the right people. ...and right now Tom Ciskowski is a walking poster of failure. 2009 was ALL him. Period.

Last year was the first time I felt differently about our late round picks. That's why I was so happy post draft. Familiar names FTW!!!

Last edited by D-Unit : 04-02-2014 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:22 PM    (permalink
SugarSean
Rookie

Excellent point. So what changed last year? Did we have new ppl in the scouting department or was it the same guys just w/ a change in philosophy? What's this Ciskowski guy's role in it all?
Old 04-02-2014, 06:58 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Clay is the guy.... He's basically got a GM role...without the title.

Google him. He's got a plan in place. Let's just hope it works.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2014/...king-for-speed

&

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2014/...as-draft-board
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote