Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 04-26-2014, 09:02 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Chill out. Doesn't affect anything in the draft.
Lol. Didnt last year either did it?

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:53 AM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Resigning Spencer isn't bad. It's a low risk contract, so it gives them a ton to work with. If he comes back to form that's awesome, and if he's too hurt then they can cut him early without too much penalty. I can dig it.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:45 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
LOL if you're being serious.

Big difference between relying on a position you just used your franchise tag on and have Ware (our 2nd most expensive player) on the other side versus this situation here buddy.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:14 AM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, they can't be feeling good enough about spencer to make that mistake. This was a speculative signing, hoping he can play again, nothing more. They gotta know that.
I'm not getting excited about it but I guess if it can't come back to bite you financially ok.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:00 AM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
LOL if you're being serious.

Big difference between relying on a position you just used your franchise tag on and have Ware (our 2nd most expensive player) on the other side versus this situation here buddy.
Unless I misunderstood, didnt you just say "it doesnt affect anything in this draft" when I said we need to draft DL due to jags and injury history?

You appaud the Escobar pick for the FO having great insight and vision because Witten is old and making too much money, then say we didnt need to go DL last year because we have so much money invested in Spencer and Ware who were older and coming off injuries? LOL. Double talk D.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 04-27-2014, 09:38 AM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

I was on a draft site and read something I've never heard before now.

Quote:
16. Dallas Cowboys - OLB Ryan Shazier (Ohio State)...The Cowboys are targeting two prospects in the first round for their pick and DT Donald has already come off the board...Shazier is said to be a personal favorite of owner Jerry Jones.
Has anybody heard this? I love the player but would want to trade back to get him.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:54 AM    (permalink
BroadcasterC
Rookie

BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Pocketaces I respect the fact that your the opposite of a homer but at least be honest with your posts instead of blindly hating.

Spencer doesn't have any impact on the draft and it's a great signing. Even if he goes on PUP and isn't completely healthy until thanksgiving, getting a fresh anthony spencer for the playoff push alone would be worth it. His contract is incentive filled with no signing bonus so he needs to play and produce to get any money. It's a win-win.

As for Shazier, I would also love him in a trade back. Bruce Carter isn't getting re-signed so he doesn't matter. Shazier and Lee... our run defense would be amazing.
BroadcasterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:25 AM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadcasterC View Post
Pocketaces I respect the fact that your the opposite of a homer but at least be honest with your posts instead of blindly hating.

Spencer doesn't have any impact on the draft and it's a great signing. Even if he goes on PUP and isn't completely healthy until thanksgiving, getting a fresh anthony spencer for the playoff push alone would be worth it. His contract is incentive filled with no signing bonus so he needs to play and produce to get any money. It's a win-win.

As for Shazier, I would also love him in a trade back. Bruce Carter isn't getting re-signed so he doesn't matter. Shazier and Lee... our run defense would be amazing.
Im not hating. Thule made a post about how our DL has much more depth than last year and I just stated that I hope we dont make the same mistake as last year thinking we have guys we can count on. Most of the guys he mentioned are Jags or coming off serious injuries. In my opinion we still need to draft at least 3 DL. Not sure how thats "hating" Shrugs.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:23 AM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Has anybody heard this? I love the player but would want to trade back to get him.
I watched a good amount of Shazier last night, and I'm not feeling him at all. The guy can't take on blocks, and he's not a good closer. I'd rather keep Bruce Carter than him because I know that Carter will at least finish his pursuit well. Shazier is just a guy who had a killer combine with a decent enough career. I'm doubting that Jerry has him as a personal favorite just because it's that time of year where people start making bogus claims like that in hopes that it's true. If they do pick Shazier I'd be pretty damn pissed.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:49 AM    (permalink
BroadcasterC
Rookie

BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BroadcasterC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
I watched a good amount of Shazier last night, and I'm not feeling him at all. The guy can't take on blocks, and he's not a good closer. I'd rather keep Bruce Carter than him because I know that Carter will at least finish his pursuit well. Shazier is just a guy who had a killer combine with a decent enough career. I'm doubting that Jerry has him as a personal favorite just because it's that time of year where people start making bogus claims like that in hopes that it's true. If they do pick Shazier I'd be pretty damn pissed.
With all do respect, please never become a scout. That's literally the exact opposite of what Shazier is. The dude kills people.

Pocketaces, I completely agree, and i'm sorry if we had a misunderstanding. I still want 2 DL in the first 4 picks.
BroadcasterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:54 AM    (permalink
proof
Rookie

proof is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proof is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proof is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proof is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proof is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proof is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proof is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proof is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proof is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proof is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proof is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah pocket was talking about the "depth" of the DL, d unit was talking specifically about the spencer signing
proof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 12:04 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

Quote:
With all do respect, please never become a scout. That's literally the exact opposite of what Shazier is. The dude kills people.

Pocketaces, I completely agree, and i'm sorry if we had a misunderstanding. I still want 2 DL in the first 4 picks.
Ha! We'll see. I'm not impressed by this guy.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:44 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That has nothing to do with the comment E-Man made. He made the statement that he gets washed out by lineman, which is true. He is an amazing athlete but when if he gets caught in the hole standing still, he does not have the size/strength to consistently take them on.

He does however have a good feel on the move and has the ability to maneuver / shift his body to avoid such blocks. You notice this a lot when you see him rushing the passer.

The other major issue with Shazier is the aggression you speak of. He has yet find a happy median between using his range and staying in control. Combine that with times where he wants to punish guys and throw his body, there is plenty of evidence of guys escaping his tackles or picking up extra yardage as he re-adjust from not wrapping up.

In our scheme I think that his range is a plus and he would make a plus WLB. I think the value is right in the late 1st/ early secound round range. I wouldn't just say we are throwing Carter away though, he is talented and got a bad wrap last year due to overblown expectations.

I think we found out last year that Carter is much better attacking downhill then chasing in man coverage, at this point of his career. I think he did a decent job of covering space in zone coverages, he just doesn't have the awareness at this point to read routes while chasing in man. This all can be learned and truthfully the weakness was magnified by the general lack of passrush through the majority of the year. He might be more comfortable shifting over the SLB where he would be more of a run stuffer but also think he would be more then capable in growing into the role we thought he would dominate.

So for me, Shazier is a luxary that I wouldn't hate but he certainly isn't a need either. It is all about if the Price is Right for me.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:48 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

They better have more than two prospects..lol. Or maybe they're gonna trade outta the 1st altogether. The things people write

I'd take Martin over shazier if the don't have a DLineman they like or if they're going to ignore safety.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:53 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Unless I misunderstood, didnt you just say "it doesnt affect anything in this draft" when I said we need to draft DL due to jags and injury history?

You appaud the Escobar pick for the FO having great insight and vision because Witten is old and making too much money, then say we didnt need to go DL last year because we have so much money invested in Spencer and Ware who were older and coming off injuries? LOL. Double talk D.
Yep, another misunderstanding by you. Everybody else got it except for you. Not surprised.

Signing Spencer does nothing to change the fact that we still need to draft DEs. Apparently you're the only one who thinks that.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:01 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Yep, another misunderstanding by you. Everybody else got it except for you. Not surprised.

Signing Spencer does nothing to change the fact that we still need to draft DEs. Apparently you're the only one who thinks that.
Apparently EVERYBODY got what I was saying to Thule except you. Not surprised. I'm the one who said you cant count on Spencer and we need to draft DTs, DEs. Just to spell it out to you since you have a hard time understanding. IR (DE) IR (DT) Jag (DT) Jag (DE) is what we currently have and more of the same behind them. If you want to address one of my posts to another fellow posters, please know what your talking about or that you can at least comprehend the meaning of said conversation before adding (subtracting?) from the post. Carry on Double Talk D.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:05 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Apparently EVERYBODY got what I was saying to Thule except you. Not surprised. I'm the one who said you cant count on Spencer and we need to draft DTs, DEs. Just to spell it out to you since you have a hard time understanding. IR (DE) IR (DT) Jag (DT) Jag (DE) is what we currently have and more of the same behind them. If you want to address one of my posts to another fellow posters, please know what your talking about or that you can at least comprehend the meaning of said conversation before adding (subtracting?) from the post. Carry on Double Talk D.
Ok pocket.

Last edited by D-Unit : 04-27-2014 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:16 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Go back on your break.
Okay D....

Last edited by pocketaces : 04-27-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:37 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Carter is a 2 down linebacker. I don't think I could be pissed about drafting a 3 down LB. We have none when Lee goes down. Mosley/Shazier solve a need we have that not many media guys are acknowledging.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:42 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Im not hating. Thule made a post about how our DL has much more depth than last year and I just stated that I hope we dont make the same mistake as last year thinking we have guys we can count on. Most of the guys he mentioned are Jags or coming off serious injuries. In my opinion we still need to draft at least 3 DL. Not sure how thats "hating" Shrugs.
1- Melton - Injury
2- Spencer - Injury
3- Mincey - Cast Off
4- Selvie - One year
5- Crawford - Injury
6- Bass - Injury
7- McClain - Cast Off
8- Hayden - NFL Worst

2-3 DL would be a minimum in my eyes. That said not many late round gems on the DL doing things in the NFL these days. Gotta go DL two times in first 4 rounds imo.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 04-27-2014, 08:14 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
1- Melton - Injury
2- Spencer - Injury
3- Mincey - Cast Off
4- Selvie - One year
5- Crawford - Injury
6- Bass - Injury
7- McClain - Cast Off
8- Hayden - NFL Worst

2-3 DL would be a minimum in my eyes. That said not many late round gems on the DL doing things in the NFL these days. Gotta go DL two times in first 4 rounds imo.
Agree 100%. Exactly my point.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:59 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
1- Melton - Injury
2- Spencer - Injury
3- Mincey - Cast Off
4- Selvie - One year
5- Crawford - Injury
6- Bass - Injury
7- McClain - Cast Off
8- Hayden - NFL Worst

Realistically, I can't see them spending 3 on the DL in the first 4 rounds. Maybe 3 in the entire draft, but even that's doubtful. They did bring in 4 guys that they didn't have when they started the offseason. Adding 7 would seem to be asking for the moon.

RDE Selvie
3T Melton/Crawford
1T McClain/Hayden/Bass
LDE Spencer/Mincey

I think the good thing about it is that the rest of our team really shapes up ok based on dire need. QB, RB, WR, OL, LB, CB... We're really not desperate there. At least not among the starters. We don't have All-Pros everywhere, but we do have guys that will give us a fighting chance. DL and S on the other hand are positions of DESPERATION. We need pass rushing like no other and we need guys who will hit and cover and cover some more and hit some more and if there's anything we can learn from last year is that depth and inexperience at DL and S killed us.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:09 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

2005 produced Ware, Spears, Canty, Ratliff. Thats the kind of draft we need again this year. Barr, Easley, Ferguson, Jeffcoat might do the trick.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:13 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Carter is a 2 down linebacker. I don't think I could be pissed about drafting a 3 down LB. We have none when Lee goes down. Mosley/Shazier solve a need we have that not many media guys are acknowledging.
I don't think that Carter is a two down guy at all. He only had coverage problems in the new scheme, but before that he was a beast in pass coverage. When I look at him last year his problems seem to stem from covering a different part of the field in the new scheme, but I think he could definitely grow. He's still pretty damn young. This is just his 4th season upcoming here, so I'm not too keen on drafting a guy high just to compete with him. I am keen on them drafting someone decently high for injury purposes though. The linebackers are skilled but have injury concerns.

Sean Lee-We all know the deal there.
Bruce Carter- Missed multiple games in every season so far.
Justin Durant-Solid at what he does, and can play the middle and Sam, but missed 6 games last year. Not to mention that he has only played a 16 game season once in his career.
Kyle Wilber- I like him a lot, but he did miss 6 games his rookie season. It could be a one off, but I'm not liking the trend.
DeVonte Holloman- Looks like he can be a steal with more playing time, but he missed 7 games last year due to that spinal injury.

All of those guys are capable of getting things done, but there's got to be someone that could stabilize things if and when someone gets hurt. I'm thinking a 4th rounder or something that could push everyone while filling in at multiple spots if needed. I don't know who that would be, but that's more of a concern to me than coverage. If Carter doesn't get right on coverage then Holloman could do the deed in the nickel. They just need someone that can stay healthy. It's one of the reasons why I've been skeptical of Mosley.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:39 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I don't think that Carter is a two down guy at all. He only had coverage problems in the new scheme, but before that he was a beast in pass coverage. When I look at him last year his problems seem to stem from covering a different part of the field in the new scheme, but I think he could definitely grow. He's still pretty damn young. This is just his 4th season upcoming here, so I'm not too keen on drafting a guy high just to compete with him. I am keen on them drafting someone decently high for injury purposes though. The linebackers are skilled but have injury concerns.

Sean Lee-We all know the deal there.
Bruce Carter- Missed multiple games in every season so far.
Justin Durant-Solid at what he does, and can play the middle and Sam, but missed 6 games last year. Not to mention that he has only played a 16 game season once in his career.
Kyle Wilber- I like him a lot, but he did miss 6 games his rookie season. It could be a one off, but I'm not liking the trend.
DeVonte Holloman- Looks like he can be a steal with more playing time, but he missed 7 games last year due to that spinal injury.

All of those guys are capable of getting things done, but there's got to be someone that could stabilize things if and when someone gets hurt. I'm thinking a 4th rounder or something that could push everyone while filling in at multiple spots if needed. I don't know who that would be, but that's more of a concern to me than coverage. If Carter doesn't get right on coverage then Holloman could do the deed in the nickel. They just need someone that can stay healthy. It's one of the reasons why I've been skeptical of Mosley.
Durant is not around anymore just FYI. None of them are 3 down backers. You don't want carter covering anyone. He can make plays in front of him but thats about all you can ask. I don't see him suddenly becoming a 3 down backer this year. He hasn't done it his whole career.

Designs by me
Quote: