Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 04-28-2014, 12:19 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought Holloman showed flashes when he had a chance late in the season. He wasn't perfect, but it was nice seeing him fly all over the place getting involved. Anyone think he has a chance to take over as a starter one day? I don't know what I think but it would be nice to hear some opinions on him.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:50 AM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I thought Holloman showed flashes when he had a chance late in the season. He wasn't perfect, but it was nice seeing him fly all over the place getting involved. Anyone think he has a chance to take over as a starter one day? I don't know what I think but it would be nice to hear some opinions on him.
Holloman will challenge for the starting spot on the strong side, spell Lee in the middle again if he goes down and maybe with a little more experience in the NFL, maybe a 3 down guy who can help in pass coverage. His speed isn't great but he does have some time at SS in college, so the awareness and instincts are there.
I like his chances to stick around and my gut says he becomes a starter.

Making plays all over the field seems to describe his game well, and I think that's what you get with him. He's a tough, well rounded player, who will grow with experience.

Lets get excited about this guy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKB0JR6oZRc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSsVlLIkvTc

Last edited by Jas : 04-28-2014 at 05:31 AM.
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:46 AM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Realistically, I can't see them spending 3 on the DL in the first 4 rounds. Maybe 3 in the entire draft, but even that's doubtful. They did bring in 4 guys that they didn't have when they started the offseason. Adding 7 would seem to be asking for the moon.

RDE Selvie
3T Melton/Crawford
1T McClain/Hayden/Bass
LDE Spencer/Mincey

I think the good thing about it is that the rest of our team really shapes up ok based on dire need. QB, RB, WR, OL, LB, CB... We're really not desperate there. At least not among the starters. We don't have All-Pros everywhere, but we do have guys that will give us a fighting chance. DL and S on the other hand are positions of DESPERATION. We need pass rushing like no other and we need guys who will hit and cover and cover some more and hit some more and if there's anything we can learn from last year is that depth and inexperience at DL and S killed us.
I think the need at OL is a little higher perhaps, we have NO decent depth at guard at all. DL S OL in any order you'd like :)

Lots of rumors floating as usual this time of year--

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2014/...aiborne-on-the

And I found the draft do over hysterical as well, Ertz over Frederick..um, no.
We took Escobar in round 2..lol what are they writing=
Well, I guess they think you take Ertz and you can get Fredbeard in the 2nd.
But the TE pick in 2 is still a matter of debate among us here.

Last edited by Jas : 04-28-2014 at 06:52 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:00 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For all the dreamers.

Quote:
Jeff Sullivan ‏@SullyBaldHead 12m
Going to be a long 11 days of rumors on Manziel/Cowboys. Once again, it's NOT happening. As in 0.0 percent chance. Team is all-in on Romo.
Reality check.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:02 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas View Post
I think the need at OL is a little higher perhaps, we have NO decent depth at guard at all. DL S OL in any order you'd like :)

Seems we've been saying that for years.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 04-28-2014, 04:07 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://msn.foxsports.com/southwest/s...manziel-042814

FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:18 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post
"Growing up a Cowboy fan ... I was born at halftime of a Cowboys game," Manziel told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Old 04-28-2014, 04:21 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:

OL a little higher than most, sure. But it is not dire like DL and S. You're talking about depth and I agree, but I would be against spending one of our first 2 picks on OL.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:45 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Quote:
OL a little higher than most, sure. But it is not dire like DL and S. You're talking about depth and I agree, but I would be against spending one of our first 2 picks on OL.
Oh, I wouldn't be against it at all, depending on the value and the fact that they probably won't even address safety. You could go oline in 1 or 2 and I'd be fine with it.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:49 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Oh, I wouldn't be against it at all, depending on the value and the fact that they probably won't even address safety. You could go oline in 1 or 2 and I'd be fine with it.
With the depth of this draft I would. I will.

They are drafting Johnny though, so that will throw things off to the point where who knows what they'll do after what they have left.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:26 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
LOL. That would be a typical Jerry move. I hope hes sitting there at 16 to see if our "GM" has grown up or if hes still drawn to the shiny light. If he passes on him, or better yet trades down, I might even give him some credit. Lol.

Either way there are going to be some hearts breaking come draft day.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:37 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
LOL. That would be a typical Jerry move. I hope hes sitting there at 16 to see if our "GM" has grown up or if hes still drawn to the shiny light. If he passes on him, or better yet trades down, I might even give him some credit. Lol.

Either way there are going to be some hearts breaking come draft day.
No heart broken here if we pass. I just consider him another option. ...and will enjoy him from afar as he winzzzzzzzz...
Old 04-28-2014, 07:56 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

To me, it depends on how they feel about the safety position, thats the pick that will send OL into the mid rounds.
If they go safety early, then DE would be the next logical move. Then maybe DT.
If they skip on an early safety, then they could go DE, OL, DT or S.
But all depends on who's there, If it's Martin, Jernigan, Ealy..I'd take Martin without hesitating.

Last edited by Jas : 04-28-2014 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:19 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
To me, it depends on how they feel about the safety position, thats the pick that will send OL into the mid rounds.
If they go safety early, then DE would be the next logical move. Then maybe DT.
If they skip on an early safety, then they could go DE, OL, DT or S.
But all depends on who's there, If it's Martin, Jernigan, Ealy..I'd take Martin without hesitating.
Could be on board with Martin, but there is certainly some hesitation and second guessing.

I'd have to hear about him breaking his teammates' arms and wrists to fall in love with him. lol

The question you have to ask... is the drop off from Martin to available 3rd/4th rounders bigger or smaller than the drop off from Jernigan/Ealy to available 3rd/4th rounders.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:48 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Could be on board with Martin, but there is certainly some hesitation and second guessing.

I'd have to hear about him breaking his teammates' arms and wrists to fall in love with him. lol

The question you have to ask... is the drop off from Martin to available 3rd/4th rounders bigger or smaller than the drop off from Jernigan/Ealy to available 3rd/4th rounders.
Heh.

With that it's kinda weird about the drop off at DL and OL. Martin is a good looking pick that I'd be happy with. I like him better than the other OL. Jernigan however, and Ealy if you like him, are at positions of more need. Those positions are also deeper than OL. If they miss out on Donald or Jernigan there is still Sutton, Easley, Caraun Reid, Hageman, etc. Ealy isn't all that to me, and there's plenty besides him. You've got Lawrence, Martin, Ford, and Marcus Smith.

While there is more you can have at DL I would rather them get Jernigan over Martin because he's about as "safe" as Martin is, and they could really use a guy like that who can move between both DT spots. Then again I would understand if they got Martin too, so they are in a pretty good spot.

But they're getting Donald next Friday anyway, so it all doesn't matter.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:54 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Quote:

I would say there are easily a few players we could get at 1 tech DT later that would allow me to pass on jernigan, feel the same for Ealy, maybe not 3/4 on Ealy but certainly in the 2/3 round range. Martin is as close to a can't miss type of player that the draft offers, based on my review of his film. Yeah..we're getting Donald or Pryor anyway..lol.

Last edited by Jas : 04-28-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:19 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

The thing I like about Martin is that it is forward thinking. If we're being cap conscious then we better realize that Free's contract goes from $3.5M in base salary in 2014 to $8M in 2015. That said, we can always draft a guy next season or try to promote Parnell.

Or we might do that anyways and keep Martin at OG. ...but I just think that's a lofty investment for an upgrade there when we have such painful woes on defense. Our defense really was a joke last year while our OL stepped up and surpassed expectations.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:37 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Rank these guys in order of who you would take at 16.

Darqueze Dennard
Kony Ealy
Dee Ford
RaShede Hageman
Tim Jernigan
Zach Martin
CJ Mosley
Ryan Shazier
Old 04-28-2014, 10:03 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
Heh.

With that it's kinda weird about the drop off at DL and OL. Martin is a good looking pick that I'd be happy with. I like him better than the other OL. Jernigan however, and Ealy if you like him, are at positions of more need. Those positions are also deeper than OL. If they miss out on Donald or Jernigan there is still Sutton, Easley, Caraun Reid, Hageman, etc. Ealy isn't all that to me, and there's plenty besides him. You've got Lawrence, Martin, Ford, and Marcus Smith.

While there is more you can have at DL I would rather them get Jernigan over Martin because he's about as "safe" as Martin is, and they could really use a guy like that who can move between both DT spots. Then again I would understand if they got Martin too, so they are in a pretty good spot.

But they're getting Donald next Friday anyway, so it all doesn't matter.
Dont miss the start of the draft, Thursday night. ;)

Old 04-28-2014, 10:06 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Dont miss the start of the draft, Thursday night. ;)
Oh yeah. Damn Goodell moving it around all willy nily. lol Well I could spread a ton of rumors about the guy and have him drop to the second. It might be crazy enough to work.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:26 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Rank these guys in order of who you would take at 16.

Darqueze Dennard
Kony Ealy
Dee Ford
RaShede Hageman
Tim Jernigan
Zach Martin
CJ Mosley
Ryan Shazier
Zach Martin
CJ Mosley
Ryan Shazier
Dee Ford
Tim Jernigan
RaShede Hageman
Kony Ealy
Darqueze Dennard - can't afford to go CB in first

You didn't put at WRs in that list. I think you have to look at that from an outside possibility.

I honestly don't see much difference between Martin and Xavier Su'a Filo. Filo is the top rated OG. Has experience at OT as well. They are about identical from a physical standpoint.

I'd feel safe moving down to 31 like we did last year. I might even do the same deal. It'd be ashame to move down that far again for a weak price...but the market dictates things like that.

If we pickup an extra third and then draft Su'a Filo at 31 then come back and land a Donte Moncrief / Jordan Matthews / Jarvis Landry / Allen Robinson / Cody Latimer in the third. Lots more WRs I'd look at but those are all the guys over 6'.

That sounds way better to me then just Martin. Then we can look DL with next 2 picks and then fill out roster with 7 more picks on day 3.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:31 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
josh_ellis11: Where there's smoke there MUST BE FIRE: ESPNCleveland quotes golf announcer Jim Nantz citing a RUMOR the Cowboys will draft Johnny Manziel.

SMOKE!! SMOKE IN THE AIIIRR!

Rumor is one of the main reasons the Spencer deal got done is so they could go after Manziel and hit DL hard after...

GET YOUR POPCORN READY!

Last edited by FreshBoy! : 04-28-2014 at 10:36 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:01 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
SMOKE!! SMOKE IN THE AIIIRR!

Rumor is one of the main reasons the Spencer deal got done is so they could go after Manziel and hit DL hard after...

GET YOUR POPCORN READY!
Get ready to have a

Old 04-29-2014, 12:10 AM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

Quote:
Get ready to have a

Ehh...I don't think so. I'd like Manziel...but i'm not going to be heartbroken if it doesn't happen.

Best this team will go is 9-7 and a early playoff L, that's if things turn out EXACTLY how you want them to go draft wise....that's not pinpointing Romo at all either. Boys are a 5 win team at best without him....but only a 8-10 win team with him....We're just not going to win with him at the helm. It's time to reboot.

You may not think Manziel is going to excel at the NFL level...that's your right. I think he will...thus...if the Boys can find a franchise QB, with a couple more years of Romo playing at a high level(barring injury setbacks)....then I'm all for it. No amount of DL/OL/Safety is going to turn us into a contender this year or next. I've resigned to that. Once I accepted that...hey...draft Manziel, go OL/DL the remainder of the draft, and build for the next 3-7 years.

*shrugs*

Last edited by FreshBoy! : 04-29-2014 at 12:16 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:44 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
Zach Martin
CJ Mosley
Ryan Shazier
Dee Ford
Tim Jernigan
RaShede Hageman
Kony Ealy
Darqueze Dennard - can't afford to go CB in first

You didn't put at WRs in that list. I think you have to look at that from an outside possibility.

I honestly don't see much difference between Martin and Xavier Su'a Filo. Filo is the top rated OG. Has experience at OT as well. They are about identical from a physical standpoint.

I'd feel safe moving down to 31 like we did last year. I might even do the same deal. It'd be ashame to move down that far again for a weak price...but the market dictates things like that.

If we pickup an extra third and then draft Su'a Filo at 31 then come back and land a Donte Moncrief / Jordan Matthews / Jarvis Landry / Allen Robinson / Cody Latimer in the third. Lots more WRs I'd look at but those are all the guys over 6'.

That sounds way better to me then just Martin. Then we can look DL with next 2 picks and then fill out roster with 7 more picks on day 3.
Yeah, I couldn't imagine us taking a WR at 16. That list (in alphabetical order by last name btw) was to see who guys would take at 16 out of those names. It's always nice to talk about trading down, but you also have to have someone willing to move up with you. You can just trade down to trade down and expect to get a fair deal. Someone has to be there that somebody else wants or else we'll be picking from a list like this potentially.

I put Dennard in there because our depth at CB is just as bad as it is along the OL if not worst. Compound that with our secondary being historically bad last season and Claiborne's history of injury + his trade rumors... and Carr's struggles last year.... You can never have enough good CBs. I'm not ready to cross it off the list of 1st round possibilities.