Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 04-29-2014, 04:49 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post
Ehh...I don't think so. I'd like Manziel...but i'm not going to be heartbroken if it doesn't happen.

Best this team will go is 9-7 and a early playoff L, that's if things turn out EXACTLY how you want them to go draft wise....that's not pinpointing Romo at all either. Boys are a 5 win team at best without him....but only a 8-10 win team with him....We're just not going to win with him at the helm. It's time to reboot.

You may not think Manziel is going to excel at the NFL level...that's your right. I think he will...thus...if the Boys can find a franchise QB, with a couple more years of Romo playing at a high level(barring injury setbacks)....then I'm all for it. No amount of DL/OL/Safety is going to turn us into a contender this year or next. I've resigned to that. Once I accepted that...hey...draft Manziel, go OL/DL the remainder of the draft, and build for the next 3-7 years.

*shrugs*
*high 5s*

We can try to continue to stockpile 1st round OL to buy our QB another half second to run this predictable vanilla offense... Or we can get a QB who can create his own additional 2-3 seconds using his own feet and keep defenses continually guessing and on their heels.

With Johnny it's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:13 AM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
The thing I like about Martin is that it is forward thinking. If we're being cap conscious then we better realize that Free's contract goes from $3.5M in base salary in 2014 to $8M in 2015. That said, we can always draft a guy next season or try to promote Parnell.

Or we might do that anyways and keep Martin at OG. ...but I just think that's a lofty investment for an upgrade there when we have such painful woes on defense. Our defense really was a joke last year while our OL stepped up and surpassed expectations.
The thing about Martin, is that it's forward thinking but not as forward as that. He comes in and starts this year at Guard, over berny, upgrade right there. Berny becomes depth, where we have none. And then you can decide if he moves to tackle next year. One injury along that oline and we are in very serious trouble. A tackle goes down, you bounce him out there.
His versatility is the key here.

Of those guys you put on the list, he's the only one worth a pick at 16.
Anyone else on that list will be a reach, doesn't mean they're not gonna be good players for us, just talking value.

If you're not going to go Pryor, and visits are an indication of where you go, Martin will likely be the best guy available.

I won't talk about Johnny Football. I can't settle on my opinion of him.

D, I know you like the sexy at 16...I can be that for you...

Last edited by Jas : 04-29-2014 at 06:08 AM.
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:02 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas View Post
The thing about Martin, is that it's forward thinking but not as forward as that. He comes in and starts this year at Guard, over berny, upgrade right there. Berny becomes depth, where we have none. And then you can decide if he moves to tackle next year. One injury along that oline and we are in very serious trouble. A tackle goes down, you bounce him out there.
His versatility is the key here.

Of those guys you put on the list, he's the only one worth a pick at 16.
Anyone else on that list will be a reach, doesn't mean they're not gonna be good players for us, just talking value.

If you're not going to go Pryor, and visits are an indication of where you go, Martin will likely be the best guy available.

I won't talk about Johnny Football. I can't settle on my opinion of him.

D, I know you like the sexy at 16...I can be that for you...

OL is sexy, don't get me wrong. If I saw Jonathan Cooper in Zach Martin, I would be all over him.

Rank 'em Jas.

Darqueze Dennard
Kony Ealy
Dee Ford
RaShede Hageman
Tim Jernigan
Zach Martin
CJ Mosley
Ryan Shazier
Old 04-29-2014, 04:02 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
*high 5s*

We can try to continue to stockpile 1st round OL to buy our QB another half second to run this predictable vanilla offense... Or we can get a QB who can create his own additional 2-3 seconds using his own feet and keep defenses continually guessing and on their heels.

With Johnny it's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.
LOL. Yeah Romo never does stuff like that.

Johnny bustball has never won anything in his life and wont in the NFL either. Have fun rooting for him as he sits on the sidelines with busted ribs, or worse.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:08 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The MAN, Roger the Dodger knows whats up
Quote:
"I try to make people understand that if you brought Tom Brady here last year or Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck, it's a team effort and you need a solid defense or you're going to be 8-8, Staubach said. "If we had a really good defense we would've been 11-5 easily, I think. I hope (Romo) has three, four more years left in him. The people that really understand football understand how good he is but those with second opinions would be screaming for Manziel all the time.

"I think Manziel has got great instincts. I think he'll be a fine player, but I don't think you want a Manziel when you have a franchise quarterback. Jerry has paid (Romo) as a franchise. I think Tony is that. He's not the reason we're 8-8.That's my feeling.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 04-29-2014, 04:08 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jas is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
OL is sexy, don't get me wrong. If I saw Jonathan Cooper in Zach Martin, I would be all over him.

Rank 'em Jas.

Darqueze Dennard
Kony Ealy
Dee Ford
RaShede Hageman
Tim Jernigan
Zach Martin
CJ Mosley
Ryan Shazier
At 16?? Only one belongs there, but if you're forcing me.
Martin
Mosley
Ford
Ealy
Shazier
Jernigan
Hageman
Dennard

Last edited by Jas : 04-29-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:15 PM    (permalink
Jas
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post

Johnny bustball has never won anything in his life and wont in the NFL either. Have fun rooting for him as he sits on the sidelines with busted ribs, or worse.
His strengths will also be his weaknesses much like romo, the escapability, and improv, will lead to mistakes and probably a good share of highlights.
The thing that concerns me and you're right, he's very weak looking, small and frail almost for a QB.
I wonder how is body will handle the pounding he's gonna take if he's running around all the time.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:32 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:

What has Tony Romo won? (no need to reply)

The double standard is strong. Maybe you didn't notice how incredibly bad A&M's defense was. The fact that Johnny carried them BEYOND their weaknesses is exactly where Romo has lacked. Johnny rallies and carries his team on his shoulders. Romo needs excuses about how the rest of the team is at fault. But we've been there, done that and that's not where I want this discussion to continue.

No one is going to say drafting Manziel isn't a scary thing. There's a lot of upside and downside to the pick. Nobody really knows at this point, but you can't blame anyone for having fascinations because all he did was prove doubters wrong.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:55 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
What has Tony Romo won? (no need to reply)

The double standard is strong. Maybe you didn't notice how incredibly bad A&M's defense was. The fact that Johnny carried them BEYOND their weaknesses is exactly where Romo has lacked. Johnny rallies and carries his team on his shoulders. Romo needs excuses about how the rest of the team is at fault. But we've been there, done that and that's not where I want this discussion to continue.

No one is going to say drafting Manziel isn't a scary thing. There's a lot of upside and downside to the pick. Nobody really knows at this point, but you can't blame anyone for having fascinations because all he did was prove doubters wrong.
Ummmm anyone? No really, anyone?

Old 04-29-2014, 06:59 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Packers were in an eerily similar situation the year Rodgers fell. If Martin were to go top 16 and Donald is gone. It's really a toss up for me. No doubt guys like Clinton-Dix or Pryor are upgrades over what we have. If 4 OT's go before 16 we could be in a similar situation as last year. Jernigan would be the other name that you could go with at 16 if forced to make a pick. He's a clear upgrade over Hayden or McClain just for the simple fact he is younger with more room to grow. Hayden and McClain don't have much of a high ceiling something that Jernigan would be a day one upgrade. But not sold on him either. BPA in the first round is just fine with me.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:05 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Ummmm anyone? No really, anyone?
I don't think anybody else is reading it as incorrectly as you buddy. It just doesn't change, does it pocket...

I specifically mentioned how having a bad defense IS NOT an excuse for Johnny. That he carried them ABOVE and BEYOND those weaknesses. That that is what makes him special. His ability to rally and lead his team on top of incredible odds.

That is the opposite of Romo. Johnny's bad defense ISN'T an excuse. Romo's bad defense IS an excuse... well... unless you're going to blame his OL... or 3rd WR... or RBs... instead... Then in that case you can pick and choose what you want to blame because we've been there, done that. It's ALWAYS something or somebody else.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:07 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
Packers were in an eerily similar situation the year Rodgers fell. If Martin were to go top 16 and Donald is gone. It's really a toss up for me. No doubt guys like Clinton-Dix or Pryor are upgrades over what we have. If 4 OT's go before 16 we could be in a similar situation as last year. Jernigan would be the other name that you could go with at 16 if forced to make a pick. He's a clear upgrade over Hayden or McClain just for the simple fact he is younger with more room to grow. Hayden and McClain don't have much of a high ceiling something that Jernigan would be a day one upgrade. But not sold on him either. BPA in the first round is just fine with me.
Both Kiper and McShay have Barr lasting to pick 25 in their latest mocks. Both giving us Pryor.

How do you feel about that?
Old 04-29-2014, 07:30 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I don't think anybody else is reading it as incorrectly as you buddy. It just doesn't change, does it pocket...

I specifically mentioned how having a bad defense IS NOT an excuse for Johnny. That he carried them ABOVE and BEYOND those weaknesses. That that is what makes him special. His ability to rally and lead his team on top of incredible odds.

That is the opposite of Romo. Johnny's bad defense ISN'T an excuse. Romo's bad defense IS an excuse... well... unless you're going to blame his OL... or 3rd WR... or RBs... instead... Then in that case you can pick and choose what you want to blame because we've been there, done that. It's ALWAYS something or somebody else.
Where exactly did Johnny boy "carry" his team to? 9-4? No SEC Championship? No NC appearance? You say his D isnt an excuse, then say how "incredibly bad" they are. Lol the double talk is STRONG today.

All those "excuses" arent for Romo, they show how inept our .500 GM has been over the last 18 years (with or without Romo) If hes dumb enough to waste a 1st rounder on this little fella, we will be waiting another 18 years I guess..

Old 04-29-2014, 07:36 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Both Kiper and McShay have Barr lasting to pick 25 in their latest mocks. Both giving us Pryor.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:40 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
If Im not mistaken, GB was coming off a Division Championship and the Playoffs. Not as many needs as we currently have. They could afford to pick a guy to sit 3-4 years, we cant IMO.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:51 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Where exactly did Johnny boy "carry" his team to? 9-4? No SEC Championship? No NC appearance? You say his D isnt an excuse, then say how "incredibly bad" they are. Lol the double talk is STRONG today.

All those "excuses" arent for Romo, they show how inept our .500 GM has been over the last 18 years (with or without Romo) If hes dumb enough to waste a 1st rounder on this little fella, we will be waiting another 18 years I guess..
If you don't think that Johnny carried that team on his shoulders to pull off any incredible wins then you're just ignorant of his situation and are incapable of providing any comment of worth on this topic.

The reason why A&M's bad defense isn't an excuse is because Johnny won WITH them. You don't need excuses when you WIN.

I officially deem you unworthy of using the phrase double talk. LOL
Old 04-29-2014, 08:43 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If Im not mistaken, GB was coming off a Division Championship and the Playoffs. Not as many needs as we currently have. They could afford to pick a guy to sit 3-4 years, we cant IMO.
We aren't winning a super bowl with this defense anyways. Put tons of pressure on this group to win this year. If not we have one of the nicest spots in the league to come coach at in 2015. A seasoned Manziel who may/ may not play his rookie year. Romo has missed time every year I believe since he's been a starter. Check me on that...but it's been enough where you can't be sure Manziel won't get snaps.

If he is the guy who falls.. /shrug.
Not like we are going to draft him over Donald. Who is really the only player I can see making it to us that is elite.

Funny picture. Is donald elite? You tell me
http://mockdraftable.com/player_embe...selected/graph

Designs by me
Quote:

Last edited by thule : 04-29-2014 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:52 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:

Well I guess I'll support whoever we select. I'd feel like Barr falling to 25 means I'm not as smart as the average person in the NFL front office and he was overhyped by the media. So it'd really come down to how good Pryor played in the end. If he is a day 1 starter and makes a difference a few times his first year. I'd be happy. Now if Barr blows up with 9+ sacks and 5+ FF as a rookie. I would be equally as upset because thats not something you can find at 16 or later. I like both players...neither are sure things in my mind. We need outside pass rush more so I lean Barr. But I didn't get to see him in person at Valley Ranch so I honestly couldn't tell you. If Marinelli wants him then I want him. Whoever he has higher I support.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 04-29-2014, 09:00 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Well I guess I'll support whoever we select. I'd feel like Barr falling to 25 means I'm not as smart as the average person in the NFL front office and he was overhyped by the media. So it'd really come down to how good Pryor played in the end. If he is a day 1 starter and makes a difference a few times his first year. I'd be happy. Now if Barr blows up with 9+ sacks and 5+ FF as a rookie. I would be equally as upset because thats not something you can find at 16 or later. I like both players...neither are sure things in my mind. We need outside pass rush more so I lean Barr. But I didn't get to see him in person at Valley Ranch so I honestly couldn't tell you. If Marinelli wants him then I want him. Whoever he has higher I support.
Yeah, I'm just ready for it to be may 8th and ready to cheer for whoever the Cowboys take. I could understand any pick to be honest. Martin, Jernigan, Ealy... whoever. While I'm hoping for a splash as I am every year, I've got confidence that Garrett, Linehan, and Marinelli will make picks that make sense. Like the names they brought in to know at least that much.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:04 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
If you don't think that Johnny carried that team on his shoulders to pull off any incredible wins then you're just ignorant of his situation and are incapable of providing any comment of worth on this topic.

The reason why A&M's bad defense isn't an excuse is because Johnny won WITH them. You don't need excuses when you WIN.

I officially deem you unworthy of using the phrase double talk. LOL
Even the Romo detractors have said we are a 3 win team without him. 9-4 in college football isnt anything special last time I checked. Johnny sets this franchise back another 10 years. HUGE mistake. Im sure 5 years from now when hes been knocked around and earns that bust lable you'll say you never really liked him after "further research" LOL

Old 04-29-2014, 09:10 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Even the Romo detractors have said we are a 3 win team without him. 9-4 in college football isnt anything special last time I checked. Johnny sets this franchise back another 10 years. HUGE mistake. Im sure 5 years from now when hes been knocked around and earns that bust lable you'll say you never really liked him after "further research" LOL
You act like I only liked Travis Frederick AFTER his marvelous season. I fell in love with him on draft day and it was easy to see why after the information started flowing through.

YOU are the one who were forced to change your mind on Frederick after he proved you wrong for doubting him. So don't act like I change my mind on players after their careers have unfolded. That would be you. Owning you using your own logic against you. Just stop already. It's not a good look.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:18 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
You act like I only liked Travis Frederick AFTER his marvelous season. I fell in love with him on draft day and it was easy to see why after the information started flowing through.

YOU are the one who were forced to change your mind on Frederick after he proved you wrong for doubting him. So don't act like I change my mind on players after their careers have unfolded. That would be you. Owning you using your own logic against you. Just stop already. It's not a good look.
Henry "same fart different smell" Melton says hello!

You dont believe or understand draft values, reaches, ect so no need arguing about TF.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:21 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Serious question for you Pocket....draft falls exactly the best way it can. Heavy DL/OL...maybe a Safety..in whatever order you want.

You think the Boys are good enough to win the division?
A playoff game?
Make a deep playoff run?
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:29 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Henry "same fart different smell" Melton says hello!

You dont believe or understand draft values, reaches, ect so no need arguing about TF.
Didn't realize he only played 3 seasons. Thought he was older than that. What's your point anyways? That people shouldn't change their opinions on players as they learn more about them? Go check yourself into an insane asylum bro.

Yeah, I don't believe in hypothetical ideas that player x will be available at my next pick make believe. I judge players by their ACTUAL play versus their draft spot to determine whether that pick was a reach or bust. TF played up to the worth of the 31st pick and some would even say his play would've justified being an even higher pick.

I'm glad you like him now though. Nice to have ya aboard.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:47 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post
Serious question for you Pocket....draft falls exactly the best way it can. Heavy DL/OL...maybe a Safety..in whatever order you want.

You think the Boys are good enough to win the division?
A playoff game?
Make a deep playoff run?
Welp, I would think after playing for the Division title in week 17 without our starting QB, and having the 32nd ranked D that if we improved our O-line and got our D up to even average we would have a shot at making the playoffs. I dont believe we are close to winning a SB but I think we could see some improvments. Gonna be tough with our schedule but with all the right moves, I would have hope. We draft a QB in the 1st and I dont see it happening however.

What says you?