Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-28-2007, 09:39 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Offensive coordinator: Jason Garrett, unless he becomes the head coach, which seems more unlikely as time passes.
Defensive Coordinator: Mike Zimmer has left making this the #1 priority on the shopping list.
Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line/Running Game: Tony Sparano is still supposedly in the head coach mix. The Cowboys need him on staff this year.
Special Teams: Bruce DeHaven is in Seattle, do I hear Steve Hoffman's name in our future, at least for the kickers?
Wide Receivers/Passing Game: Todd Haley left for Arizona, open position.
Secondary: Todd Bowles is supposedly in the head coach mix, but not really. He's more in line for a possible promotion to defensive coordinator.
Quarterbacks Coach: Chris Palmer is leaving, see above.
Linebackers: Paul Pasqualoni is still here.
Strength and Conditioning: Joe Juraszek is still here.
Safeties: Mike MacIntyre is not signed for 2007.
Defensive Line: Kacy Rodgers is still here I guess, I haven't heard any different.
Running Backs: Anthony Lynn left for Cleveland, open position.
Tight Ends: Freddie Kitchens is still here, I guess.
Middle Linebackers: Vincent Brown was a Parcells Guy, I don't know what his future is under the new regime.
Offensive Quality Control (Tutor to Romo): David Lee bolted for Arknasas.
BTB

we have some holes to fill.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 09:42 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The media just finished talking with Norv Turner, the seventh man to interview for the vacant head coaching job.
Here's what Norv had to say:
"The first thing is, it was really exciting for me. It’s the first time I’ve been in this building since I was apart of this organization many years ago. We talked a little bit about everything, it’s a great opportunity, its one of the great organizations in all of sports. I had a chance to visit with Jerry and get a real good idea of what he’s thinking.”

On being the front runner: “I think the guys who have come in and talked are very qualified. I want a chance to come in and talk and I know what Jerry is looking for and its certainly as big a decision as you can make. I’m excited I had a chance to visit.”

Turner said he had a good talk with Bill Parcells. The two talked about the players and just how far this team is, or how close this team is to a Super Bowl, depending on your point of view.

Turner is headed back to the Bay Area as we speak and no timetable has been determined to when the Cowboys will name a new coach.
http://cowboys.beloblog.com/archives...rv_speaks.html

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 01-28-2007, 09:50 PM    (permalink
dickson1187

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule
Quote:
Offensive coordinator: Jason Garrett, unless he becomes the head coach, which seems more unlikely as time passes.
Defensive Coordinator: Mike Zimmer has left making this the #1 priority on the shopping list.
Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line/Running Game: Tony Sparano is still supposedly in the head coach mix. The Cowboys need him on staff this year.
Special Teams: Bruce DeHaven is in Seattle, do I hear Steve Hoffman's name in our future, at least for the kickers?
Wide Receivers/Passing Game: Todd Haley left for Arizona, open position.
Secondary: Todd Bowles is supposedly in the head coach mix, but not really. He's more in line for a possible promotion to defensive coordinator.
Quarterbacks Coach: Chris Palmer is leaving, see above.
Linebackers: Paul Pasqualoni is still here.
Strength and Conditioning: Joe Juraszek is still here.
Safeties: Mike MacIntyre is not signed for 2007.
Defensive Line: Kacy Rodgers is still here I guess, I haven't heard any different.
Running Backs: Anthony Lynn left for Cleveland, open position.
Tight Ends: Freddie Kitchens is still here, I guess.
Middle Linebackers: Vincent Brown was a Parcells Guy, I don't know what his future is under the new regime.
Offensive Quality Control (Tutor to Romo): David Lee bolted for Arknasas.
BTB

we have some holes to fill.
This outline of change (Thanks!) gets to my point that no matter how talented we are next year we should not be surprised if we start 2-6 or something.

We have a really young team and bringing in whole new coaches is going to hurt in my opinion. If we switch to 4-3 or make big offensive changes it will be even worse. (And yes a Norv Offense is different than what we ran)

For all this stuff about getting the hot young guy, Jones should have worked extra hard at getting Parcells and staff on board for 2007. It does not seem this was a priority of his and was more interested in keeping TO and also forcing some changes Parcells did not want (at least this is logical rumor).

Better to cut a TO and keep the staff in tact for a run at it then to waste a year breaking in a new staff and re-training the players to meet a new staff's requirements.

We shall see because as the saying goes may you be cursed to live in interesting times.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:23 AM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we hire Turner as our HC I hope we go after a very good DC.. With our players, Turner is gonna tear it up on offense.. With Turner as our HC I would expect a top 3 offense..

Right now, for the draft, I hope we'll go after Michael Griffin.. He got all we need, he's a great guy, he can cover a lot of field and he's not afraid to hit.. and he's a texas guy too.. and with both Landry and Nelson being selected before him he should be avaible at #22..
If Henry is not moved to safety I'm pretty sure we're going FS in round 1 or 2.. Jerry has shown many times that he think that solving the FS problem is the number one priority.. Parcell is gone, so I don't think the new HC will have a lot of trust on Watkins..

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 06:17 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Turner made a strong impression with Jones, former coach Bill Parcells and vice president Stephen Jones, according to Werder. Turner tried to convince Jones that he is the best choice to mentor new hire Jason Garrett -- who'll likely serve as offensive coordinator -- while developing the skills of Romo. Turner also stressed that he is capable of assembling a defensive staff that could repair a unit that collapsed late in the season.
This really stuck out to me...I wonder who he has in mind....

per nfl.com

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 01-29-2007, 08:37 AM    (permalink
bigmac076
Veteran

bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano
If we hire Turner as our HC I hope we go after a very good DC.. With our players, Turner is gonna tear it up on offense.. With Turner as our HC I would expect a top 3 offense..

Right now, for the draft, I hope we'll go after Michael Griffin.. He got all we need, he's a great guy, he can cover a lot of field and he's not afraid to hit.. and he's a texas guy too.. and with both Landry and Nelson being selected before him he should be avaible at #22..
If Henry is not moved to safety I'm pretty sure we're going FS in round 1 or 2.. Jerry has shown many times that he think that solving the FS problem is the number one priority.. Parcell is gone, so I don't think the new HC will have a lot of trust on Watkins..
I see alot of potential in Watkins, he has the physical attributes, we just need to find out if he has the mental toughness. I still stress we need to get younger on the O-line and if we go with Griffin in RD1, we have to hope that a guy like Beekman, Grubbs, or Blaylock will still be around at #54.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:48 AM    (permalink
NIN1984
Pro Bowler

NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think Norv Turner would be all that bad for the Cowboys, they already have a playoff team and Turner would help Romo grow into a better QB
NIN1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:15 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Turner wouldn't be a great HC for you guys. He failed twice already, and I doubt he has the ability to control TO. Yes, he runs a great offense, but thats as a OC. He hasn't done the same job as a HC. Some guys just aren't great HCs, but are good coordinators. I think Turner falls into that category.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:30 AM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
I think Turner wouldn't be a great HC for you guys. He failed twice already, and I doubt he has the ability to control TO. Yes, he runs a great offense, but thats as a OC. He hasn't done the same job as a HC. Some guys just aren't great HCs, but are good coordinators. I think Turner falls into that category.
Whoah, BBD! W t f is up with your avatar, man?

On the matter of your post, though, this seems to be the generally held perception of Norv. I have to admit, there were plenty of times when I was watching his Redskin teams, and later the Raiders, when I thought "wow, this team is completely and utterly devoid of any kind of mental toughness and/or discipline" as they self destructed right before my eyes. They just seemed to play with stupidity.

That said, if you were to name the two places that you least wanted to coach at, as a head man in the NFL, I bet 80% of all guys polled would have the Raiders and the Redskins in the top 2. Both franchises have meddling owners. Both have an approach to the game that does not work; the Raiders' being the take-any-thug-that-can-play combined with the "vertical passing game" (lmao) which ends in a train wreck of an offense with people back stabbing each other left and right, while the Redskins think they can buy a championship, and wheel 'n' deal themselves into the basement of their division more often then not.

So, where does the blame lie? Personally, I can definitely see him being a guy that simply doesn't "get" the detailed and yet all encompassing nature of running the entire show. However, there have been some well documented cases of coaches failing at a first stop, only to emerge down the line as good/great coaches at a more success-friendly environment. Obviously, Bill Belichick is the best example of this. Just as a Browns fan about him, and see what they thought (and probably still think) about his ability as a head coach. Doesn't quite fit with the "genius" persona that he carries around now.

To me, I would much rather have Wade Phillips - even though he may not be any more qualified as a head man - simply because he is better qualified to "fix" the problems that we have on defense, which was our undoing this season. However, like I have stated previously, I believe in the men that are conducting this search. Bill Parcells himself is helping to pick his successor, which is a comforting thought. I simply choose to believe that they know what they are doing, and will make the right choice. I hope it doesn't screw me.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:59 PM    (permalink
dickson1187

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine
That said, if you were to name the two places that you least wanted to coach at, as a head man in the NFL, I bet 80% of all guys polled would have the Raiders and the Redskins in the top 2. Both franchises have meddling owners. Both have an approach to the game that does not work; the Raiders' being the take-any-thug-that-can-play combined with the "vertical passing game" (lmao) which ends in a train wreck of an offense with people back stabbing each other left and right, while the Redskins think they can buy a championship, and wheel 'n' deal themselves into the basement of their division more often then not.
Hi DMW, needs to disagree with this one. Here is my thought.

Say what you will but Dan Snyder is much less meddling than Jerry Jones and actually believes in hiring great coaches. I don't ever see Snyder saying anything about the players or getting involved in the sidelines. Jerry is like Coach, GM, Player Personnel, Cheerleeder ......

And to Al Davis's defense, he usually finds great coaches even if he ends up canning them in one of his dementia fits. Also, Al Davis knows football players even if they are "thugs" whereas Jerry does not. Al Davis has football cred and Jerry does not.

So sadly from a pure micro-managing perspective, the two worst jobs in the NFL are Oakland and Dallas with Dallas being the worst. Jerry is a micro manager and not as football smart as the second worst -- Davis.

To agree with you -- Wade is a much better choice than Norv. You are correct that Norv's team where just a mess.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:10 PM    (permalink
Poet3334
Rookie

Poet3334 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_in_bigd
Quote:

Say what you will but Dan Snyder is much less meddling than Jerry Jones and actually believes in hiring great coaches. I don't ever see Snyder saying anything about the players or getting involved in the sidelines. Jerry is like Coach, GM, Player Personnel, Cheerleeder ......

And to Al Davis's defense, he usually finds great coaches even if he ends up canning them in one of his dementia fits. Also, Al Davis knows football players even if they are "thugs" whereas Jerry does not. Al Davis has football cred and Jerry does not.
So sadly from a pure micro-managing perspective, the two worst jobs in the NFL are Oakland and Dallas with Dallas being the worst. Jerry is a micro manager and not as football smart as the second worst -- Davis.

To agree with you -- Wade is a much better choice than Norv. You are correct that Norv's team where just a mess.
You don't like Jerry at all do you?

"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
Albert Camus
Poet3334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:04 PM    (permalink
Craigo
Rookie

Craigo hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

If Turner goes to Dallas, I will despise all of you.

Thanks jkpigskin!
Craigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:10 PM    (permalink
Poet3334
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigo
If Turner goes to Dallas, I will despise all of you.

"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
Albert Camus
Old 01-29-2007, 03:11 PM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:

I'm sorry, but Al Davis has ZERO football cred post 1986. He did have a decent run with Coach Gruden but then again, he traded gruden away. How credible is that? How credible is chasing Shanahan out of town? How credible is continuing to try and play the verticle passing game when the WCO is what has been the most successfull style in the last 20 years? How do you not build a great franchise with all the extra picks from Gruden's departure?

I'm sorry, but Al Davis has less cred now than ever.

As for Jerry being a bad owner vs. Dan Snyder you are on crack. Dan Snyder runs out good coaches (Shottenheimer anyone??) mid season. Snyder continues to cripple his coaches with piss poor draft management (i.e. trading away all your picks) and continues to overpay mediocre talent.

I do have my criticisms of Jerry Jones, but being on the sidelines isn't one of them. I guess you've never seen Arthur Blank, Paul Allen or Pat Bowen on the sidelines? (p.s. if you haven't then you're not paying attention). Jerry is a piss poor 'football guy' but other than Jimmy Johnson (which was 11 years ago for god's sake, people do learn you know) no one has said he was difficult to work for.

Designs by Thule

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.
LSUALUM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:25 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
Whoah, BBD! W t f is up with your avatar, man?

On the matter of your post, though, this seems to be the generally held perception of Norv. I have to admit, there were plenty of times when I was watching his Redskin teams, and later the Raiders, when I thought "wow, this team is completely and utterly devoid of any kind of mental toughness and/or discipline" as they self destructed right before my eyes. They just seemed to play with stupidity.

So, where does the blame lie? Personally, I can definitely see him being a guy that simply doesn't "get" the detailed and yet all encompassing nature of running the entire show. However, there have been some well documented cases of coaches failing at a first stop, only to emerge down the line as good/great coaches at a more success-friendly environment. Obviously, Bill Belichick is the best example of this. Just as a Browns fan about him, and see what they thought (and probably still think) about his ability as a head coach. Doesn't quite fit with the "genius" persona that he carries around now.

To me, I would much rather have Wade Phillips - even though he may not be any more qualified as a head man - simply because he is better qualified to "fix" the problems that we have on defense, which was our undoing this season. However, like I have stated previously, I believe in the men that are conducting this search. Bill Parcells himself is helping to pick his successor, which is a comforting thought. I simply choose to believe that they know what they are doing, and will make the right choice. I hope it doesn't screw me.
Is something wrong with my avatar again? Its supposed to be a picture of Christina Stoffo, a local traffic reporter for 1050 espn radio, who to much of my surprise, looks like that (oddly good looking for a radio traffic reporter). If its something else, let me know, because Ive had that issue before and almost got kicked off the board for it.

In regards to Norv, yes you make a great point. Oakland and Washington aren't exactly model places to resume a coaching career.

However, one thing that stood out under his reign was a lack of team chemistry and discipline. That resonated in both teams he coached. I don't know if you want that in Dallas, especially with TO in town. He'll eat that for breakfast.

I love him as a coordinator, and he definately has the pieces in place in Dallas to do damage, but can he harness that talent properly? He hasn't shown it in years past. When he took over Oakland, they were supposed to be good, but they stunk under him. The Washington team he took over was supposed to be on the come up, and he did nothing with it. And with a plethora of coaches available next year, how long of a leash does he have? Will that effect his coaching? Lots of questions marks with him.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:49 PM    (permalink
Larry
Veteran

Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.

According to Mort Norv could be named HC tommorrow.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:05 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
The 49ers have asked for and received permission to interview Chargers linebackers coach Greg Manusky for their vacant defensive coordinator position.

Manusky, 40, was considered to be a candidate for the Chargers' defensive-coordinator position if Wade Phillips is hired as the Cowboys head coach. Phillips and 49ers offensive coordinator Norv Turner have interviewed for the Cowboys' job. Turner interviewed with Cowboys owner Jerry Jones on Sunday.

Manusky has only slightly more experience than 49ers assistant head coach/defense Mike Singletary, whose lack of NFL coaching experience is seen as the only reason he has not already been promoted to the job. Singletary has coached four seasons in the league.

[snip]

Mike Singletary (49ers assistant head coach/defense) -- Nolan sees no need in interviewing him for the job. Singletary wants to be the defensive coordinator. If he is promoted to that role, Nolan will handle most of the responsibilities until he feels comfortable handing it off to Singletary.

Anyone else find it funny that the two top DC's that we wanted are mentioned in this article.
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=461024

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 01-29-2007, 04:07 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh how i hate you all.

Norv :evil:
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 04:07 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule
Quote:
The 49ers have asked for and received permission to interview Chargers linebackers coach Greg Manusky for their vacant defensive coordinator position.

Manusky, 40, was considered to be a candidate for the Chargers' defensive-coordinator position if Wade Phillips is hired as the Cowboys head coach. Phillips and 49ers offensive coordinator Norv Turner have interviewed for the Cowboys' job. Turner interviewed with Cowboys owner Jerry Jones on Sunday.

Manusky has only slightly more experience than 49ers assistant head coach/defense Mike Singletary, whose lack of NFL coaching experience is seen as the only reason he has not already been promoted to the job. Singletary has coached four seasons in the league.

[snip]

Mike Singletary (49ers assistant head coach/defense) -- Nolan sees no need in interviewing him for the job. Singletary wants to be the defensive coordinator. If he is promoted to that role, Nolan will handle most of the responsibilities until he feels comfortable handing it off to Singletary.

Anyone else find it funny that the two top DC's that we wanted are mentioned in this article.
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=461024
Bah. Theyre both ours :)
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 04:25 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

I'm interested in everyone's thoughts on 4-3/3-4. Let's hear them.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:57 PM    (permalink
dickson1187

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUALUM99
Quote:
Quote:

I'm sorry, but Al Davis has ZERO football cred post 1986. He did have a decent run with Coach Gruden but then again, he traded gruden away. How credible is that? How credible is chasing Shanahan out of town? How credible is continuing to try and play the verticle passing game when the WCO is what has been the most successfull style in the last 20 years? How do you not build a great franchise with all the extra picks from Gruden's departure?

As for Jerry being a bad owner vs. Dan Snyder you are on crack. Dan Snyder runs out good coaches (Shottenheimer anyone??) mid season. Snyder continues to cripple his coaches with piss poor draft management (i.e. trading away all your picks) and continues to overpay mediocre talent.

I do have my criticisms of Jerry Jones, but being on the sidelines isn't one of them. I guess you've never seen Arthur Blank, Paul Allen or Pat Bowen on the sidelines? (p.s. if you haven't then you're not paying attention). Jerry is a piss poor 'football guy' but other than Jimmy Johnson (which was 11 years ago for god's sake, people do learn you know) no one has said he was difficult to work for.
To an earlier poster -- no, I do not like Jerry Jones.

To LSU, I hear ya. I don't agree but let me say that Jerry and Al are the 1-2 punch of bad Owners/GM.

To my defense, you can bad mouth Al Davis for firing great coaches but fact is he picked them first to being with. Who has Jerry picked and fired that accomplished anything? Al knows talent and Jerry does not. Jerry knows what he reads from what others type.

Also, please do not compare Al Davis in historical terms (even recent) to Jerry Jones. Al Davis is a creator of this league. An ex-coach and football man his whole life. Jerry was a wild catter who hit it big and this is the only reason he has a GM title. Al Davis does have cred and I have no affinity to him. Can't see why you would say otherwise.

To boot, he was in the Super Bowl in recent memory plus had one chance ripped from him (tuck game). Al is a great football man who I agree is way too old at this point to do it himself and can't get out of his own way even with his walker.

But, alas, we are arguing small brown shades on a small turd.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:06 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

BREAKING NEWS!!!!

http://www.dallasnews.com/

The Cowboys will have San Francisco assistant head coach Mike Singletary in for an interview on Tuesday. Details to come.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:08 PM    (permalink
Number-94

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit
BREAKING NEWS!!!!

http://www.dallasnews.com/

The Cowboys will have San Francisco assistant head coach Mike Singletary in for an interview on Tuesday. Details to come.
It's like a dream come true! Jerrah is coming through for us. I think I'm going to cry
Old 01-29-2007, 05:08 PM    (permalink
TNewFan41
Veteran

TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.

whoever the head coach is we need a defensive coordinator who runs a 3-4. When teams switch back and forth between 4-3 and 3-4 it is usually just a mess. we need to stick with what our personell can provide.

check out www.mtmock.blogspot.com it is good
TNewFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:11 PM    (permalink
Poet3334
Rookie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUALUM99
Quote:
Quote:

To an earlier poster -- no, I do not like Jerry Jones.

To LSU, I hear ya. I don't agree but let me say that Jerry and Al are the 1-2 punch of bad Owners/GM.

To my defense, you can bad mouth Al Davis for firing great coaches but fact is he picked them first to being with. Who has Jerry picked and fired that accomplished anything? Al knows talent and Jerry does not. Jerry knows what he reads from what others type.

Also, please do not compare Al Davis in historical terms (even recent) to Jerry Jones. Al Davis is a creator of this league. An ex-coach and football man his whole life. Jerry was a wild catter who hit it big and this is the only reason he has a GM title. Al Davis does have cred and I have no affinity to him. Can't see why you would say otherwise.

To boot, he was in the Super Bowl in recent memory plus had one chance ripped from him (tuck game). Al is a great football man who I agree is way too old at this point to do it himself and can't get out of his own way even with his walker.

But, alas, we are arguing small brown shades on a small turd.
It seems like it's difficult for you to put aside your personal feelings toward Jerry. It's very blatant, and it doesn't bolster your argument.
Winning a super bowl gets you cred. Last time I checked, Jerry has done that, more recently than Al Davis.

Albert Camus