Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 02-02-2007, 03:58 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinChase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staubach12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano
Looking at safeties, who are your favorite prospects outside the first round?
Scott seems very high on Weddle, and Weddle is a Cowboys fan too :D
I'm not too big on Weddle because I just don't know if he's good enough in coverage. We need a guy that's spectacular in coverage. I wouldn't have any big problems with Brandon Meriweather in the 2nd or 3rd.
Ed Reeds don't come along very often (of course, we could have drafted him instead of Roy Williams in '02 :( ). Look at Darren Woodson: He wasn't spectacular in coverage but he was good and very smart, and he always seemed to be where he was supposed to be. He also made other players like Williams, George Teague and Brock Marion better. I'd be thrilled to get a guy like that for our FS.
I've warmed up to the possibility of Merrieweather. He did great at SB week, and definitely has the measruables you look for. Concern about his character doesnt bother anymore, seeing it was an isolated incident. But if there is more, please inform, I haven't really looked into his background. So Reggie Nelson or Merriweather in the first would make me very happy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:28 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano
Looking at safeties, who are your favorite prospects outside the first round?
Scott seems very high on Weddle, and Weddle is a Cowboys fan too :D
I'm not too big on Weddle because I just don't know if he's good enough in coverage. We need a guy that's spectacular in coverage. I wouldn't have any big problems with Brandon Meriweather in the 2nd or 3rd.
I am a Utah Ute fan, though I am not generally that into college football, except from a NFL Draft perspective. But I come from a family of Ute fans. I have several brothers who attended college there and a bevy of cousins, uncles and nephews who are HUGE fans of the team.

The point is, I know about Weddle pretty thoroughly, and this is not true. He has been exceptional in coverage this season, though against Mid Major competition admittedly. However, the most telling performance of his career came at the end of last season in the bowl game against Georgia Tech. He was assigned to shadow Calvin Johnson for the entire game, and he shut him down. Yeah, it was actually the performance that put him on the radar for NFL scouts. CJ ended up with 2 catches for 19 yards, with 7 targets. The performance is already well on its way to mythical status among Utah fans. It was truly something to watch.

Anyhow, not only that, but Weddle was much better than anticipated during the senior bowl week, and Mayock even said that he showed that he can line up over a guy and cover him one on one.

I would be just fine if we took him with a 2nd rounder, and if we could get him in the 3rd I would be thrilled.

So, no, actually coverage is a serious strength.
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:42 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine
Here's an interesting thing that I noticed when perusing some of the stats from this season. It is in regard to DeMarcus Ware, and his production distribution against certain teams. These are the teams against which he generated a sack:

Washington
Washington
Philly
Philly
NYG
Indy
NO
Atl
Ari
Det

Meanwhile, the teams against which he failed to get a sack were:

Tenn
Houston
Carolina
Tampa
Jax

Look at that. The best lines that we faced all year were the Skins, Eagles, Colts, Saints (surprisingly so), and Jags. He got sacks against all of them except the Jaguars (the worst of the bunch).

Meanwhile, we play some truly horrible lines like Houston, Tampa and Carolina, and he doesn't notch a single sack!

It's absolutely confounding. How is it that he - and we as a team - was not able to get the QB when the Oline was terrible, and yet consistently got there when he was playing against elite competition? I don't understand it.

Anyhow, something to think about. Could this be another problem with the scheme?
DWM, I agree with your last 2 posts completely. It appears that we lack playmakers on Defense and that we are the definition of inconsistency.

Now, I know that I'm pretty much the only guy here who is still hoping for Dallas to select DeMarcus Tyler in round 1, first and foremost. Ever since his weigh in at the Senior Bowl, I've gone head over heels for this guy. I mean, yeah, I had him on the radar before, but not until then did I really REALLY want to get this guy. I know some of you would support the pick of Tyler, but I haven't seen anyone other than myself come out and put him atop their big boards.

It is my belief that the majority of our defensive inconsistencies are surrounded by the play of our NT position. I'm not dogging the play of Fergy, because he has been good... just inconsistently good. It is also my belief that he's not a true NT. In my opinion he is a better 3 technique tackle than he is a 1 technique tackle. In every game that he had over 5 tackles, we lost. I don't think that is a coincidence at all. To me that tells me that he's NOT doing his job. Against the run, the nose tackle needs to draw the double-team to allow the linebackers to plug the holes and make the play. On a pass, he needs to shoot the gap and get upfield penetration. With Fergy making all those tackles, to me it says that he's not playing with discipline. He's shooting the gap on running plays and tackling the RB.... when he needs to just play his role and let the LBs make the tackle. ...and against the pass... well, he's not doing very well shooting the gap either... 0 sacks... at the very least on passing plays, if he's not shooting the gap, he should still be dangerous enough to attract an extra blocker to free up the LB rush. It's the double... the damn double team that he cannot consistently attract. We get that and all of a sudden, ILB blitzes start to work, OLBs are freed up, DEs can do more... we start to confuse offenses, then bring 'em a CB or S blitz!!!

Damnit! I'm getting pissed off thinking about all of our missed opportunities because we lack a true NT. Maybe I'm overreacting... maybe I'm wrong... I dunno...

The scouting report on Tyler may not be flashy, but I'm sold on him. The guys writing the reports on him seem to be grading him as a 4-3 NT or UT perspective. As a 3-4 NT, I'm willing to bet he does a lot better than those "scouting reports". He makes those around him better. No doubt about it. His play went unnoticed for a long time, until this year, but he's been consistent... and the guys who have played with him have made some serious cash in the draft.... Mario Williams, Manny Lawson, John McCargo... and others have had great college careers.... Oliver Hoyte, Stephen Tulloch...

Just as you guys have just recently said how we "need" playmakers and that you seem "boggled" as to why our guys aren't coming up with more game breaking plays... I believe that we DO have playmakers and that they are simply not able to operate at their highest level becasue of our NT inconsistencies. As our NT goes, so does our defense. I want Tyler to come in and bring the same type of effect over to the Cowboys as he did at NC State and finally allow our playmakers to finally make plays! NC State btw, was the #1 Defense in college while he was there.

For me, the 2007 draft is all about DeMarcus "Tank" Tyler baby! ! ! Get'r done Jerry!!!

Pictured here... drawing the double team! :D

"I just try to go in there with a negative attitude and hit somebody as hard as I can every snap," Tyler said. "I haven't been blessed with all the speed in the world, but coach tells me to just put my hand down and go. I try to follow out my assignment and hit somebody as hard as I can on every play."
- Tank Tyler

In 2006...

Reving up the crowd before he attempts a 550 pound bench press.

Flexing after lifting it up! :D
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:57 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So are you saying Fergies play was inconsistent this past season? He was probably our best Defensive player next to Dware, he was truly a beast against the run. Why is he so unappreciated around here?
Old 02-02-2007, 05:02 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
So are you saying Fergies play was inconsistent this past season? He was probably our best Defensive player next to Dware, he was truly a beast against the run. Why is he so unappreciated around here?
He was a beast against the run because he wasn't doing his job. He's supposed to be occupying the blockers and allowing the LBs to stuff the run... That's how the 3-4 is supposed to work. Instead he's shooting the gaps himself and stopping the run. Like I said.. He's not a true NT and in fact plays more like a 3 technique tackle.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:06 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit
Quote:
He was a beast against the run because he wasn't doing his job. He's supposed to be occupying the blockers and allowing the LBs to stuff the run... That's how the 3-4 is supposed to work. Instead he's shooting the gaps himself and stopping the run. Like I said.. He's not a true NT and in fact plays more like a 3 technique tackle.
So your gonna criticize him for disrupting the run and making play in the backfield?

And I have to say our run defense was not the problem for us, it was the pass. How will Tyler aide that?
Old 02-02-2007, 06:17 PM    (permalink
amiyahomiojs

Quote:
Quote:
Julius ran a 4.38 and a 4.43 at the combine.
Thank you, D.
Julius runs a freakin 4.47. I posted a true link from NFL.com, you didn't, so too bad.

Julius runs a 4.47, and he is slow. He need a gamebreaker.

End of story, you lose I win.

Julius in the 4.3's, man thats funny.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:19 PM    (permalink
amiyahomiojs

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNewFan41
And D-Unit Julius runs a 4.47. And I don't care what his 40 time is, he is slow as heck on the field, I don't care about that run against the Saints, wow one big run all season. Ramonce has a gear that only certaihn players have, like Reggie Bush and Brian westrook. Plus we could get ramonce in the later part of day 2! who cares it would either be a 5th, 6th, or 7th round pick, if not undrafted FA. I don't know why you guys care so much. We need a back like him, and ramonce would be perfect. I hope we draft him really bad.
You can't use a 40 time as an argument, and then say "Oh, well, I don't care about that anyway." You abviously don't watch very closely, because he's one of the fastest players on our team. Taylor won't be much faster than Jones.
If Julius is one of the fastest players on our team, then we are a SLOW team.

Newman is faster, Terry Glenn is faster, T.O. is faster, I think D-Ware and Kevin Burnett are also both faster, so is pat watkins, just too name a few.

And I am not going by 40 times, I am going by game speed, and Ramonce has both by a good amount on Julius. And so do most of the players above.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:21 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So your gonna criticize him for disrupting the run and making play in the backfield?

And I have to say our run defense was not the problem for us, it was the pass. How will Tyler aide that?
Who said anything about Fergy making plays in the backfield? lol! I don't think he had many TFLs... For sure he had 0 sacks.

Secondly, his primary job is not to stuff the run. His job is to occupy the blockers to allow the LBs to stuff the run. If he played with that type of discipline, then our defense would be more consistent. I know it sounds twisted, but that's the role of a 3-4 NT. He needs to draw the double-team to allow the linebackers to plug the holes and make the play. Plain and simple. Drawing the double opens up the rest of the defense. Only then will we be able to be aggressive on defense. Only then, will our LB blitzes begin to work. When was the last time we've seen an ILB get a sack? The strength of the 3-4 is to disguise the blitz to where the offense has no clue where it's coming from. It will only start to work when the NT understands his role, plays with discipline, and COMMANDS a double team... instead of trying to make the plays himself. He's screwing the rest of the defense up. Bottom line, Fergy does not command a double team and that's why we are forced to play a vanilla defense. He's not opening up that extra blocker and our other front 7 players are forced to handle a larger load.

That's how I believe Tyler will help. If he can consistently command the double team and make teams pay when they don't double him, then THAT'S when we'll start to see the true benefits of running the 3-4. Tyler has already shown that he can make those around him better. ...and that's how we'll generate a better pass rush and that's when we'll start seeing more game breaking plays. When he attracts the double team, then the rest of the front 7 will be that more dangerous... we'll be able to mix it up, it'll open up our blitz packages, it'll free up the rest of the front 7 in their pass rush attack and allow the LBs to do their job in stuffing the run without having to go through blockers.

Right now, Fergy is not commanding the double and is making it tough on our LBs because they are having to face big O-Linemen before getting to the carrier... occupying those linemen are supposed to be the assignment of the NT, not the LBs. Our run D might appear to be doing well, with Fergy helping to tackle, but it's fundamentally unsound in the 3-4 and it's jamming everything up causing a lot of our inconsistencies. When Fergy is not stuffing the run and not drawing the double... we simply fall apart.

I honestly think that we do have playmakers on our team. We don't need to find some. Finding a new OLB may help slightly, but if they are faced with the same problem that our guys are facing now, it's all moot. We just need to find a NT that will eat up blockers and allow our playmakers to make plays.

With the lack of NT prospects in this draft and in FA, it's imperative that we draft Tyler, even if he's not the BPA.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:30 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Who said anything about Fergy making plays in the backfield? lol! I don't think he had many TFLs... For sure he had 0 sacks.

Secondly, his primary job is not to stuff the run. His job is to occupy the blockers to allow the LBs to stuff the run. If he played with that type of discipline, then our defense would be more consistent. I know it sounds twisted, but that's the role of a 3-4 NT. He needs to draw the double-team to allow the linebackers to plug the holes and make the play. Plain and simple. Drawing the double opens up the rest of the defense. Only then will we be able to be aggressive on defense. Only then, will our LB blitzes begin to work. When was the last time we've seen an ILB get a sack? The strength of the 3-4 is to disguise the blitz to where the offense has no clue where it's coming from. It will only start to work when the NT understands his role, plays with discipline, and COMMANDS a double team... instead of trying to make the plays himself. He's screwing the rest of the defense up. Bottom line, Fergy does not command a double team and that's why we are forced to play a vanilla defense. He's not opening up that extra blocker and our other front 7 players are forced to handle a larger load.

That's how I believe Tyler will help. If he can consistently command the double team and make teams pay when they don't double him, then THAT'S when we'll start to see the true benefits of running the 3-4. Tyler has already shown that he can make those around him better. ...and that's how we'll generate a better pass rush and that's when we'll start seeing more game breaking plays. When he attracts the double team, then the rest of the front 7 will be that more dangerous... we'll be able to mix it up, it'll open up our blitz packages, it'll free up the rest of the front 7 in their pass rush attack and allow the LBs to do their job in stuffing the run without having to go through blockers.

Right now, Fergy is not commanding the double and is making it tough on our LBs because they are having to face big O-Linemen before getting to the carrier... occupying those linemen are supposed to be the assignment of the NT, not the LBs. Our run D might appear to be doing well, with Fergy helping to tackle, but it's fundamentally unsound in the 3-4 and it's jamming everything up causing a lot of our inconsistencies. When Fergy is not stuffing the run and not drawing the double... we simply fall apart.

I honestly think that we do have playmakers on our team. We don't need to find some. Finding a new OLB may help slightly, but if they are faced with the same problem that our guys are facing now, it's all moot. We just need to find a NT that will eat up blockers and allow our playmakers to make plays.

With the lack of NT prospects in this draft and in FA, it's imperative that we draft Tyler, even if he's not the BPA.
D-Unit, youre looking at it wrong.

Im personally not a big believer in Tyler, I think teams are trying to make him into something he's not, ie an answer at 3-4 NT. There simply aren't any in this draft, Tyler won't be that special in the NFL.

More importantly, Ferguson. He was great for you guys this year. You guys had a very good run defense, and he was largely responsible for it.

To make it short, while the 3-4 NT's job is to occupy blockers, they can also disrupt plays in the backfield. Jamal Williams and Wilfortk and Hampton do it all the time. They simply explode the interior line and destroy whatever interior blocking was there, and then the guys behind them make a play. When Ferguson is getting in the backfield, thats a good thing, he's disrupting the play at the point of attack. You want that.

I wish I could show film to explain it in greater detail, but I hope I made sense out of that.

If he's getting off blockers and trying to get in the backfield like a UT, then thats wrong, but I never see him do that. When I saw him get in the backfield, it was because he was overpowering the interior line and breaking down their blocking inside. If you can destroy the center and get in the backfield, thats a good thing.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:47 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense

Im personally not a big believer in Tyler, I think teams are trying to make him into something he's not, ie an answer at 3-4 NT. There simply aren't any in this draft, Tyler won't be that special in the NFL.

More importantly, Ferguson. He was great for you guys this year. You guys had a very good run defense, and he was largely responsible for it.

To make it short, while the 3-4 NT's job is to occupy blockers, they can also disrupt plays in the backfield. Jamal Williams and Wilfortk and Hampton do it all the time. They simply explode the interior line and destroy whatever interior blocking was there, and then the guys behind them make a play. When Ferguson is getting in the backfield, thats a good thing, he's disrupting the play at the point of attack. You want that.

I wish I could show film to explain it in greater detail, but I hope I made sense out of that.

If he's getting off blockers and trying to get in the backfield like a UT, then thats wrong, but I never see him do that. When I saw him get in the backfield, it was because he was overpowering the interior line and breaking down their blocking inside. If you can destroy the center and get in the backfield, thats a good thing.
Well, I'm not going to try and predict that Tyler will not be good in the NFL. That's kind of bold on your part, imo. But that's ok.

Back to our problem (in my eyes).... Admittingly, I don't have game film to review, but I watch the game and as good as the TV angles permit, and try to watch things unfold. I understand and agree with what you say when you said "3-4 NT's job is to occupy blockers, they can also disrupt plays in the backfield"... My question is, do the rest of you agree that Fergy actually does that? If so, I'm missing it and I'm wrong. I don't think he forces his way in the backfield... and I definately would not describe his game as someone who can "simply explode the interior line and destroy whatever interior blocking was there"... I definately do not see Fergy doing that. Instead, I see him filling the gap and not penetrating it and not trying to take on an extra blocker...

And what you said here, "If he's getting off blockers and trying to get in the backfield like a UT, then thats wrong..."

...imo that is the definition of Fergy.... like I said earlier... I believe he plays like a 1 gap tackle and not a true 1 technique NT.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:54 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:

Well, I'm not going to try and predict that Tyler will not be good in the NFL. That's kind of bold on your part, imo. But that's ok.

Back to our problem (in my eyes).... Admittingly, I don't have game film to review, but I watch the game and as good as the TV angles permit, and try to watch things unfold. I understand and agree with what you say when you said "3-4 NT's job is to occupy blockers, they can also disrupt plays in the backfield"... My question is, do the rest of you agree that Fergy actually does that? If so, I'm missing it and I'm wrong. I don't think he forces his way in the backfield... and I definately would not describe his game as someone who can "simply explode the interior line and destroy whatever interior blocking was there"... I definately do not see Fergy doing that. Instead, I see him filling the gap and not penetrating it and not trying to take on an extra blocker...

And what you said here, "If he's getting off blockers and trying to get in the backfield like a UT, then thats wrong..."

...imo that is the definition of Fergy.... like I said earlier... I believe he plays like a 1 gap tackle and not a true 1 technique NT.
Youve probably payed more attention to it than I have, so I'll take your word for it. From the time Ive seen him, yes, he doesn't explode the interior that much, but he has done a serviceable job in the run game.

I think his biggest weakness is in the pass game. Too many times the ILBs didn't come unblocked on passing downs, and that could very well be because of what you said, him not occupying the line instead trying to get in the backfield.

If he does that during ILB blitzes, than youre exactly right, he's not doing what he's supposed to. From what I saw, he's simply not getting blocked by 2 guys too often on passing downs, which is why the ILBs don't come unblocked.

I don't know, I can't say for certain because I havent paid detailed attention to him. I was always focused on Ware for the most part.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:15 PM    (permalink
bigmac076
Veteran

bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you, D.
Julius runs a freakin 4.47. I posted a true link from NFL.com, you didn't, so too bad.

I think Julius haunted TNewFan's past or something.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:20 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Youve probably payed more attention to it than I have, so I'll take your word for it. From the time Ive seen him, yes, he doesn't explode the interior that much, but he has done a serviceable job in the run game.

I think his biggest weakness is in the pass game. Too many times the ILBs didn't come unblocked on passing downs, and that could very well be because of what you said, him not occupying the line instead trying to get in the backfield.

If he does that during ILB blitzes, than youre exactly right, he's not doing what he's supposed to. From what I saw, he's simply not getting blocked by 2 guys too often on passing downs, which is why the ILBs don't come unblocked.

I don't know, I can't say for certain because I havent paid detailed attention to him. I was always focused on Ware for the most part.
I agree that for the most part that Fergy is serviceable at run support. However, like I said, I don't think he should be trying to do that as much as he should be trying to occupy blockers and letting the LBs to the work.

It's fundamentally unsound. When he fills the gap and stops the runner, hey, everything is fine and dandy... but when he tries to fill the gap and doesn't get to the runner... uhhhhhh... that RB is already making his read on the safties! ...that RB is in our secondary faster than you can say, "What duh?!"... the blockers that he was supposed to get are now blocking the LBs and the RB has picked up big yardage. Thus, another explanation of a part of our defensive inconsistencies.

You mention his weakness being in the passing game... Yeah... you could say our pass rush attack is a general weakness of the whole team. ...and it starts with Big Ferg. If he doesn't draw the double... it makes it hard for everyone else... just like you said... the ILBs don't get free. ...and additionally, neither do the DEs or OLBs... His position is so important for him to do it right. He doesn't need to be the playmaker, tackling every thing in sight. He just needs to make it easy for everyone else by drawing 2 blockers.... Something Tyler has become accustomed to... making life easy for Mario Williams, Manny Lawson and John McCargo along that vaunted NC State line... and everyone else on that front 7 for that matter.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:36 PM    (permalink
amiyahomiojs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac076
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you, D.

No, Julius is just slow, and I personally don't like him. he goes down by arm tackels, and plays like a pu***, and he doesn't have the gamebreaking speed to make up for it. Ramonce does, and he can also break tackles. Look, Ramonce will be avaliabe on the late second day! why are you so apposed to drafting him. He will be a good back in the NFL, mark it down.

And D-Unit the only 2 players I want in the first round are either Tank Tyler or Levi Brown, so I agree with you.

My dream FA and Draft, but also achievable would be:

Sign a OG like Dielman or Steinbach in FA.

Draft: Day 1 get a future LT (Levi Brown), a future RG (Manuel Ramirez), and a future NT or WR (Tank tyler, i think he can be there in the 2nd, or Jason Hill). Day 2, Ramone Taylor.

I think that would be good for this team, and it is attainable.

Oh and Texas Vs. The Nation is on tonight, and I don't have CSTV, so please tell me how Ramonce does.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:45 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

I'll be ok with Ramonce on day 2, but I think it's a dream for you Balaskonis. I don't even see it as a possibilty. Julius goes down because he is at his best when he is gliding... but he's a lot more compact than Ramonce...and can still hit the hole. Ramonce is like Lorenzo Booker, imo.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:21 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you, D.

No, Julius is just slow, and I personally don't like him. he goes down by arm tackels, and plays like a pu***, and he doesn't have the gamebreaking speed to make up for it. Ramonce does, and he can also break tackles. Look, Ramonce will be avaliabe on the late second day! why are you so apposed to drafting him. He will be a good back in the NFL, mark it down.

And D-Unit the only 2 players I want in the first round are either Tank Tyler or Levi Brown, so I agree with you.

Draft: Day 1 get a future LT (Levi Brown), a future RG (Manuel Ramirez), and a future NT or WR (Tank tyler, i think he can be there in the 2nd, or Jason Hill). Day 2, Ramone Taylor.

Oh and Texas Vs. The Nation is on tonight, and I don't have CSTV, so please tell me how Ramonce does.
I lose you win? Ha! You need to get a clue. You abviously don't know what you're talking about. One of the only reasons Barber isn't starting over Jones is because JONES HAS GAMEBREAKING SPEED! No one is taking you seriously because all you do is come in here and post this:

"ROMANCE TAYLOR IS AWESOME!!!1!1111!!! JULIUS JONES IS SLOW!!11!!11!1!!111!!!!!!! I WIN!!!111!1!!!1!!!!"

Seriously, you have no idea what you're talking about.

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:30 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
And D-Unit Julius runs a 4.47. And I don't care what his 40 time is, he is slow as heck on the field, I don't care about that run against the Saints, wow one big run all season. Ramonce has a gear that only certaihn players have, like Reggie Bush and Brian westrook. Plus we could get ramonce in the later part of day 2! who cares it would either be a 5th, 6th, or 7th round pick, if not undrafted FA. I don't know why you guys care so much. We need a back like him, and ramonce would be perfect. I hope we draft him really bad.
You can't use a 40 time as an argument, and then say "Oh, well, I don't care about that anyway." You abviously don't watch very closely, because he's one of the fastest players on our team. Taylor won't be much faster than Jones.
If Julius is one of the fastest players on our team, then we are a SLOW team.

Newman is faster, Terry Glenn is faster, T.O. is faster, I think D-Ware and Kevin Burnett are also both faster, so is pat watkins, just too name a few.

And I am not going by 40 times, I am going by game speed, and Ramonce has both by a good amount on Julius. And so do most of the players above.
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! D-Ware is faster than JJ!?!?!?! Don't get me wrong, he's fast for a LB, but faster than JJ?!?!?! BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! You've got to be kidding! Burnett!?!?!?!?! This has to be a joke. Please tell me you're kidding.

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:49 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you, D.

If Ramonce really is as good as you say he is, and his only problem was his arrest, then some team (like the Bengals) will take a flyer on him far before late 2nd day. I'm pretty sure that pro scouts can recognize that kind of talent just as well as you can, and if he is that talented, he will be gone.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:17 AM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you, D.

Really? What did he do to you? :roll:

Look, if we do or don't draft Taylor still remains to be seen, but you need to get off this "I'm right and all you are wrong" horse your riding on. The more defensive you get in your post, the more people see you as annoying and immature. Just ask a certain poster, who will remain nameless, who rubbed people the wrong on here with his annoying stubbornness, and ended up being outcasted and leaving the team discussions(for now). But even doing so, he was at least coherent in his arguments, and provided detail and evidence. While you just blurt out crap like "He's fast" and "He will be GREAT. Mark it down", without any kind of textual or statistical evidence. You have much to learn grasshopper.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:23 AM    (permalink
amiyahomiojs

Ok, I'm sorry, but JJ did run a 4.47.

I think Ramonce would do wonders for our team, and our o-line, thats all.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:52 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I agree with Balasonkis on Ramonce Taylor. I think this kid is gonna be an absolute steal. If the Giants take the skatback approach, I want either Booker or him, preferably him because he can be had with a later round pick.

Julius is ok, but nothing special at all. Dallas can replace him easily in this draft, the middle round RBs are pretty good. Will that happen? Depends, we really don't know anything right now because we don't know the coaching situation in Dallas.

Balasonkis, you really did your hw with this draft. I haven't disagreed with anything you said so far.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:01 AM    (permalink
amiyahomiojs

Quote:
I agree with Balasonkis on Ramonce Taylor. I think this kid is gonna be an absolute steal. If the Giants take the skatback approach, I want either Booker or him, preferably him because he can be had with a later round pick.

Julius is ok, but nothing special at all. Dallas can replace him easily in this draft, the middle round RBs are pretty good. Will that happen? Depends, we really don't know anything right now because we don't know the coaching situation in Dallas.

Balasonkis, you really did your hw with this draft. I haven't disagreed with anything you said so far.
Thanks, I am really into this draft because I think we are one good draft from a super-bowl. And besides a 3-4 NT, this draft has everthing the Cowboys need. I believe Ramonce will be a multiple pro-bowler (although the pro-bowl is a joke, you know what I mean) and one of the biggest draft steals in NFL history. I think if anyone drafts him, it will be the Cowboys because of Jerry. He could bring us a serious screen game, and a break away threat from the backfield, plus he will take Newman's spot for punt returns so I don't crap my pants every time he returns a punt. Julius isn't a serious breakaway threat, sorry, and he never will be.

Ramonce will be a stud if he keeps his head on straight, and he will.

And who has CSTV? how did he do last night?
Old 02-03-2007, 09:20 AM    (permalink
bigmac076
Veteran

bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

he can help our O-line eh? Did he play guard in highschool or something? I know where your argument is going. Probem is, you have the mentality that this kid can come in and make gamebreaking runs every week, and it doesn't matter if the O-line is good or if the O-line sucks. Not a good way to look at it. Remember we also throw the ball right? You need to put your priorities in perpective. O-line is arguably the most import aspect of a team besides QB. You just seem to really like this Taylor kid and theres no problem with that, to each his own. But stop trying to brainwash everyone into thinking that "Julius sucks!" and "We need to get Taylor!". It seems the majority don't hate Julius as much as you.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:23 AM    (permalink
amiyahomiojs

Quote:
Quote:

he can help our O-line eh? Did he play guard in highschool or something? I know where your argument is going. Probem is, you have the mentality that this kid can come in and make gamebreaking runs every week, and it doesn't matter if the O-line is good or if the O-line sucks. Not a good way to look at it. Remember we also throw the ball right? You need to put your priorities in perpective. O-line is arguably the most import aspect of a team besides QB. You just seem to really like this Taylor kid and theres no problem with that, to each his own. But stop trying to brainwash everyone into thinking that "Julius sucks!" and "We need to get Taylor!". It seems the majority don't hate Julius as much as you.
No, but Ramonce woud make our o-line just a little better because of his speed. We need o-line help bad, I know that, but Ramonce would help it just alittle cause of his speed and quickness. Julius has above average speed, but nothign special, Ramonce does. That is all I am saying. Jezzzz. :roll: