Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 02-14-2007, 02:13 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNewFan41
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine
I seriously hope you guys aren't dumb enough to say that just because Scott has Tyler going in the first round, then there is no way that he will fall. No disrespect to Scott, but that is just stupid. No one knows what is going to happen on draft day, even the day before the draft when everything has been said and done and all the evaluation work is compiled and all players have been cemented as exactly what they are going to be. Things still happen from out of nowhere. And right now we haven't even seen the combine workouts or the individual pro-days, and a ton of evaluators are still trying to get up to speed on the under-classmen. Let's get real.

If you remember, at this time last year Scott had one Gabe Watson projected as a late 1st round pick, and--unlike Tyler--he actually was one of the most impressive players from the Senior Bowl week. We all know how that turned out, and everyone on this board would have been skeeting all over the place at the opportunity to get him with our 3rd rounder, had we done that. In addition, Scott had Jason Hatcher as a late-round/project guy who did not have the necessary explosiveness to be an impact pass rusher in the league, and probably wouldn't contribute much for his first season or two. We all know how that turned out.

So, to say that because he is not available after #26 by Scott's line of thinking does not mean that he won't be there for us in the 2nd round. Personally, I think he will fall way down to at least the mid-late 2nd, and maybe all the way to the 3rd. He did nothing to impress at the Senior Bowl, and likely will not put up anything impressive in his workouts. As such, I would not be comfortable spending either a 1st or a 2nd on him. But, then, I'm no expert.
What do you guys have to say to that?
Do you want #72 to smash you? Look at that bad boy flying through the air!

D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 02:36 PM    (permalink
nrcirc
Veteran

nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/02/14/Bu...s_Johnso.shtml

Wow. :D
nrcirc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 02:44 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrcirc
http://www.sptimes.com/2007/02/14/Bucs/Georgia_Tech_s_Johnso.shtml

I gotta see it to believe it.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:57 PM    (permalink
Poet3334
Rookie

Poet3334 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrcirc
http://www.sptimes.com/2007/02/14/Bucs/Georgia_Tech_s_Johnso.shtml

I gotta see it to believe it.
Wow is right. I've had the privilege to see this guy play the last three years. He was in a different gear than everyone else, and that's saying something in the ACC. If only he had a quarterback throwing him the ball.

"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
Albert Camus
Poet3334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 03:22 PM    (permalink
amiyahomiojs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I seriously hope you guys aren't dumb enough to say that just because Scott has Tyler going in the first round, then there is no way that he will fall. No disrespect to Scott, but that is just stupid. No one knows what is going to happen on draft day, even the day before the draft when everything has been said and done and all the evaluation work is compiled and all players have been cemented as exactly what they are going to be. Things still happen from out of nowhere. And right now we haven't even seen the combine workouts or the individual pro-days, and a ton of evaluators are still trying to get up to speed on the under-classmen. Let's get real.

If you remember, at this time last year Scott had one Gabe Watson projected as a late 1st round pick, and--unlike Tyler--he actually was one of the most impressive players from the Senior Bowl week. We all know how that turned out, and everyone on this board would have been skeeting all over the place at the opportunity to get him with our 3rd rounder, had we done that. In addition, Scott had Jason Hatcher as a late-round/project guy who did not have the necessary explosiveness to be an impact pass rusher in the league, and probably wouldn't contribute much for his first season or two. We all know how that turned out.

So, to say that because he is not available after #26 by Scott's line of thinking does not mean that he won't be there for us in the 2nd round. Personally, I think he will fall way down to at least the mid-late 2nd, and maybe all the way to the 3rd. He did nothing to impress at the Senior Bowl, and likely will not put up anything impressive in his workouts. As such, I would not be comfortable spending either a 1st or a 2nd on him. But, then, I'm no expert.
What do you guys have to say to that?
Do you want #72 to smash you? Look at that bad boy flying through the air!

LOL. Don't get me wrong I do like Tank, but I would only take him in the 2nd, not first.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:33 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
LOL. Don't get me wrong I do like Tank, but I would only take him in the 2nd, not first.
Then what is this about???

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thule
You get 3 FA signings and the draft. In the draft you can only give us players that are available to us according to scott's mock. So if they are gone in scott's mock, then you can't select them. What do you do?
Oh I didn't see those rules, sorry. In that case, this is how my off-season would go:

FA: Kris Dielman, Ken Hamlin, and John Brown

Draft:
Round 1: DeMarcus "Tank" Tyler, NT, NC State
Round 2: Manuel Ramirez, OG, Texas Tech
Round 3: Jonathan Wade, CB, Tennesee
Round 4: Andre Allison, WR, East Carolina
Round 5: Ramonce Taylor, RB, Texas
Round 6: A Center
Round 7: More O-line Depth
Round 7: A linebacker
Round 7: BPA

Hows That?
Old 02-14-2007, 03:38 PM    (permalink
amiyahomiojs

Quote:
Quote:
Then what is this about???

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thule
You get 3 FA signings and the draft. In the draft you can only give us players that are available to us according to scott's mock. So if they are gone in scott's mock, then you can't select them. What do you do?
Oh I didn't see those rules, sorry. In that case, this is how my off-season would go:

FA: Kris Dielman, Ken Hamlin, and John Brown

Draft:
Round 1: DeMarcus "Tank" Tyler, NT, NC State
Round 2: Manuel Ramirez, OG, Texas Tech
Round 3: Jonathan Wade, CB, Tennesee
Round 4: Andre Allison, WR, East Carolina
Round 5: Ramonce Taylor, RB, Texas
Round 6: A Center
Round 7: More O-line Depth
Round 7: A linebacker
Round 7: BPA

Hows That?
I did that just to please with you guys.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:41 PM    (permalink
amiyahomiojs

Anyway, did you guys hear Talkin' Cowboys today?

Bill Jones mentioned the comments John Kitna said about our defense a while back to Terence Newman, and he said who is John Kitna?

LMFAO.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:54 PM    (permalink
Poet3334
Rookie

Poet3334 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Anyway, did you guys hear Talkin' Cowboys today?

Bill Jones mentioned the comments John Kitna said about our defense a while back to Terence Newman, and he said who is John Kitna?

LMFAO.
Uh, John Kitna shredded our secondary Terence. That's who he is.

"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
Albert Camus
Poet3334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 04:17 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:

The problem with Watson was that his play in college.... or lack of it... scared everybody from drafting him. Goes to show a Senior Bowl performance is not EVERYTHING. On the other hand, DeMarcus Tyler had a monster senior season and he's been steady throughout his career.

I also think that his performance in the Senior bowl is being overexaggerated... Somebody saw him get blocked in a 2 second highlight clip and that's it... they're all convinced he sucks... That's dumb. These practices are not the best indicator of what they can do. There is no game film study on their opponent, no preparation... just go out and go... I listened to an interview from Tyler from during the season and he talks about how much time he invests in studying his opponent. If you look up some scouting analysis from the Senior Bowl on Tyler you'll notice that Wednesday was his breakout day and he did very well after that... Just goes to show... he improved after getting to know his opponent, instead of the other way around.

That interview was great actually... he talked about how he plays the game... as the vocal leader on the DL... he spoke of his spitting acusation... saying that he didn't spit purposely, but that he talks loud on the field and in the moment, stuff might've flied out while talking to the OL he was barking to.
Yeah, that's true, but the senior bowl is a big part of the evaluation process. It can easily torpedo someone's stock. There are plenty of examples. More than one analyst remarked that he did nothing to stand out all week. I personally watched almost all of the coverage from senior bowl week, and I have it all on dvd, and plan to finish it sometime before the combine. I haven't yet seen anything to pique my interest out of him at this point.

But that is all besides the point. My point was that simply because Scott has him in the 1st does not mean that he is going to go there, or even that there is a good chance of him going there. It's all just speculation at this point. In his specific circumstance, he doesn't seem to have much momentum generated at this point to suggest--to me-- that he will be taken there. But that remains to be seen.

All I am/was saying is that he hasn't done anything to this point to say that he is a "lock" to go in the top 40. There are some that have, but he is not among them.
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 06:42 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

I'm not saying the Senior Bowl can't help or hurt a person's stock... but I definately think that it's only a part of the equation. If a player had a good career and a good SB, then surely that can help him... the same can be said if he had a bad career and a bad SB, then that won't help him... However, for prospects who have had a good career and a bad SB or a bad career and a good SB, you have to dig deeper than just say... Oh he had a bad SB, his stock will fall or he had a good SB, he will be picked high now.

Secondly, I never take Scott's mock or rankings as pure gospel.... c'mon now...

In my opinion solely outside of Scott's or anyone else's opinion... I do believe he is a lock for the top 40. I think that he is a lock for Round 1. Considering his college resume, his unique size combination in this draft, the lack of anyone else on his talent level available in this draft that can play NT, the weak FA class for NTs and the amount of teams that could use him as a 4-3 NT or a 3-4 NT... helps me to believe that will happen.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:45 PM    (permalink
TNewFan41
Veteran

TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.

[quote="TNewFan41"][quote="thule"]You get 3 FA signings and the draft. In the draft you can only give us players that are available to us according to scott's mock. So if they are gone in scott's mock, then you can't select them. What do you do?

FA= Leonard Davis, Nate Clements, Bac-up OT

R.1: DeMarcus Tank Tyler
R.2: Aaron Rouse
R.3: Manuel Ramirez
Old 02-14-2007, 06:51 PM    (permalink
amiyahomiojs

So your saying we move Henry to FS. OMG I hate that idea, but if it happens, so be it. :?

And looks like talks with Gurode are going well, this is from DallasCowboys.com:

Quote:
The Cowboys have been in ongoing discussions with center Andre Gurode and his agent in regard to a new contract.

Gurode, an unrestricted free agent for the second consecutive year, is looking for much more than the one-year deal he signed last March. Gurode started all 16 games at center this past season and was added to the Pro Bowl as an injury replacement. Gurode was one of seven Cowboys who played in last Saturday's game in Hawaii.

The Cowboys and Gurode's camp had been talking extensively even before Bill Parcells' announced his retirement and the coaching search began.

With Wade Phillips now in the fold, look for the Cowboys and Gurode to work out a new deal, likely before March 2, the first day of the free-agent signing period.

The Cowboys apparently are not far along in contract talks with right tackle Marc Colombo or even quarterback Tony Romo, who has one year remaining on the extension he signed last August.
But not so good with Columbo. I'm worried about that.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:30 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What about the possibility of trading down? There isn't any prospect projected in the first round that has me head over heels, and the draft is deep enough in talent where we can still find great players later on. And if we can find a deal, similar to the JP Losman trade few years back, and get us an extra 1st rounder in next years draft, I would definitely take it.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:04 PM    (permalink
amiyahomiojs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
What about the possibility of trading down? There isn't any prospect projected in the first round that has me head over heels, and the draft is deep enough in talent where we can still find great players later on. And if we can find a deal, similar to the JP Losman trade few years back, and get us an extra 1st rounder in next years draft, I would definitely take it.
I completely agree. I want to pick in the top 5 (via trade) so bad. I want some elite talent. We got so close when Buffalo started 0-4 but then Bledsoe went crazy and got them to 9-7. That was kind of a double poison, if Bledsoe didn't play so good we probably wouldn't have signed him, and we would have gotten a top 5 pick, lol. If we could trade down to someone like Detriot and pick up their next years first, I would love it.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:16 PM    (permalink
Im_a_Romosexual
Pro Bowler

Im_a_Romosexual wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Im_a_Romosexual wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Im_a_Romosexual wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Im_a_Romosexual wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Im_a_Romosexual wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Im_a_Romosexual wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Im_a_Romosexual wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Im_a_Romosexual wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Im_a_Romosexual wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Im_a_Romosexual wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Im_a_Romosexual wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
The only way I wouldn't do it is if someone like Landry, Nelson or somebody who is too good to pass up is there at 22
Im_a_Romosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:32 PM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Unless Nelson blows away the combine with numbers, he'll be there at 22.

I personally like Landry way better than Nelson, but I'd take Nelson.

That being said, I think it's more likely to move Henry to FS, and draft Ross / Hughes / Hall at 22 even if Nelson is still available.

Designs by Thule

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.
LSUALUM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:42 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Merriweather is going to leapfrog Nelson... Really wouldnt be surprised to see us take him at 22.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:51 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H.
I think Merriweather is going to leapfrog Nelson... Really wouldnt be surprised to see us take him at 22.
Oh heck no! Still praying myself that Nelson is there... highly, HIGHLY doubtful. He's the only guy I'd take before Tyler.

Don't worry LSU... Nelson will blow up the combine. He'll probably put up one of the fastest times too.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:55 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Quote:
Oh heck no! Still praying myself that Nelson is there... highly, HIGHLY doubtful. He's the only guy I'd take before Tyler.

Don't worry LSU... Nelson will blow up the combine. He'll probably put up one of the fastest times too.
Damn right.

I still have him going top 10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:00 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Even if Merriweather doesnt leapfrog Mr. Nelson... I dont see him getting out of the first round. I would be happy landing either of the two but... I still dont wanna give up on Watkins as crazy as that sounds.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 02-14-2007, 11:04 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
Even if Merriweather doesnt leapfrog Mr. Nelson... I dont see him getting out of the first round. I would be happy landing either of the two but... I still dont wanna give up on Watkins as crazy as that sounds.
I have to admit that Nelson's tackling does scare me a bit though.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 02-15-2007, 12:05 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Quote:
I have to admit that Nelson's tackling does scare me a bit though.
What??? You gotta watch him more. Try and check out some of his stuff on youtube.

Merriweather sounds like this year's Gabe Watson.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:43 AM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we move Henry to FS I want Ross so bad.. He's gonna be the next great Longhorns' DB..

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 06:17 AM    (permalink
amiyahomiojs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano
If we move Henry to FS I want Ross so bad.. He's gonna be the next great Longhorns' DB..
Yes, but why move Henry to FS?

this is such a stupid idea IMO. CB is one of the hardest positions to find, Henry is already a good CB, what if the move doesn't work out.

That is so stupid IMO.