Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 02-17-2007, 01:24 PM    (permalink
Dave
Pro Bowler

Dave hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
I really have no idea what the Cowboys are gonna do with their 1st. Thats one of the toughest draft picks to project. I have a feeling Jerry Jones is just gonna draft whoever was the biggest workout warrior during the combine.

If thats the case, don't be surprised if you get a guy like McCauley or Brian Leonard.
Fust an FYI, Leonard is great and all.. but we won't be spending a second rounder on a fullback. Regardless of his amazingness and play making ability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckseason View Post
Brady is 'just' the Queen on Belichick's chess board.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 01:32 PM    (permalink
amiyahomiojs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNewFan41
In the 7th round? who cares?
He was arrested for possession, granted he did it in college but that is a huge stain on your record.
Again, it is the 7th round, who cares? Its not like we are taking him in the first round. :roll:
Old 02-17-2007, 01:34 PM    (permalink
amiyahomiojs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
I'm not of fan of moving Henry to FS at all. He may have had an off season this year, but he is more then capable to be solid opposite of Newman. People forget only a two years ago, people were looking at him as the savior at that position, even outplaying Newman. So I have complete trust in him.
Thank you. Moving Henry would be stupid. He is already a good CB, why move him when you don't even know if he will be a good FS. Plus with a pash rush, which we will have this year because of Wade's blitzes and schemes, we could have all 7th round picks in the secondary and still dominate. Look at San Diego's secondary, they were fine, and ours is 10x better. So imagine our seconday with their pass rush. That equals 20 plus INTs.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:37 PM    (permalink
Dave
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not of fan of moving Henry to FS at all. He may have had an off season this year, but he is more then capable to be solid opposite of Newman. People forget only a two years ago, people were looking at him as the savior at that position, even outplaying Newman. So I have complete trust in him.
Thank you. Moving Henry would be stupid. He is already a good CB, why move him when you don't even know if he will be a good FS. Plus with a pash rush, which we will have this year because of Wade's blitzes and schemes, we could have all 7th round picks in the secondary and still dominate. Look at San Diego's secondary, they were fine, and ours is 10x better. So imagine our seconday with their pass rush. That equals 20 plus INTs.
I agree we'll see improvement, but not in the preseason, not for the first six to eight games either. It'll take time before it finally locks in and our defense shifts gears completely.
Quote:
Old 02-17-2007, 01:47 PM    (permalink
amiyahomiojs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
Quote:
Quote:
I agree we'll see improvement, but not in the preseason, not for the first six to eight games either. It'll take time before it finally locks in and our defense shifts gears completely.
Yes we will, what kind of statement is that, we will have a good pash rush all season.

So you want to move Henry?
Old 02-17-2007, 01:51 PM    (permalink
Dave
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Yes we will, what kind of statement is that, we will have a good pash rush all season.

So you want to move Henry?
It's a broad one, but a good one imo. We should have a great pass rush, but if you noticed our D-Line was getting flopped around near the end of the year. Not to mention as soon as Greg Ellis was gone our production was down. As for moving Henry, I think it depends on how Pat Watkins plays before preseason and in preseason. I think you give Henry a few snaps at Safety to see how he does, that won't do any harm, but I think you should still let Watkins develop.
Quote:
Old 02-17-2007, 02:05 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staubach12
Quote:
A little more on Henry.

The transition to FS would seem to go quite smoothly. Obviously fast enough to play the position, has great field vision to play the center, and he's a great tackler. I would love the move. It would also enable us to try to develop Watkins while, henry mans the starting job. Henry at FS is better than what Wade had in SD with Marlon Mcree IMO, once again I'd love the move.
I'd like to move Henry to FS, but I'm still not sure if that's the right move because of CB. I know, we want to throw money at Clements, but he's going to get some big money thrown at him, and I'm just not sure we would spend that much money on the guy. He's really going to rack in being the only really good CB in this FA market. As far as the draft goes, I just don't like the idea of starting a rookie CB, I just don't. I think CB is one of those positions where you don't play them off the bat, and I'm not even sure if we could be one of those top teams if we get killed by the pass because we have a rookie starting at CB. I don't like putting Glenn to start either. Remember the skins game last year. Just remember... Anyway, all this being said, I'd very much like to sign Ken Hamlin to be our starting FS, and get a developmental corner in the 2nd or 3rd round. I like (as most of you problably know) Jonathan Wade from Tennessee.
Well... I figure if we dont land Clements. Just leave Henry at corner and hope for the best and tackle the safety need in the draft. I love some of these safties, I think Nelson or Meriweather would be a fantasic addition in round one. I dont think Nelson would be available but, who knows Kiper has us getting him in his mock. :D As for Ken Hamlin that's a thought but, I dont think the Seahwaks are going to let a player of his caliber hit the open market, i'd be very surprised actually.

Just wondering if you want to develop a corner selected in the 2nd, 3rd ala Wade. Who do you want in the first?
Soory I haven't responded to this earlier, I've been kind of busy. I saw Kiper's mock, and really hoping that that comes true. As far as corner in the 1st, I like Aarron Ross or Daymeion Hughes. They're both smart guys who play well, but both need to take just a few less chances, which we could coach them to do, and they'd turn out fine. I still don't want them starting as rookies, though.

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 02:08 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Uh... homer, much?

BoneKrusher
Old 02-17-2007, 02:25 PM    (permalink
jetBLACK08

I dont want Aaron Ross if he runs a 4.5 forty.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:27 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Uh... homer, much?
LOL, you gotta love TNew, he is like the polar opposite of CowboysForever. One is the ultimate pessimist the other the ultimate optimist.
Paul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 03:01 PM    (permalink
amiyahomiojs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Uh... homer, much?
not really, have you seen San Diego's secondary?
Old 02-17-2007, 03:02 PM    (permalink
amiyahomiojs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Uh... homer, much?
LOL, you gotta love TNew, he is like the polar opposite of CowboysForever. One is the ultimate pessimist the other the ultimate optimist.
thank you. I just believe this team has to much talent to be 9-7. We should be 12-4 at WORST. and we are young too.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:33 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Uh... homer, much?
Yes, I have, actually. They've got tons of talent, and still ranked 13th in the league. Not exactly top-noch. So, don't tell me that Wade Phillips will come in here and everything will get better, even if we had all 7th round picks starting in the secondary. It's magic! :roll: Please...

BoneKrusher
Old 02-17-2007, 04:12 PM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Drafting CB in round could give us many options..

- If we move Henry to FS we still have Newman to cover the best guy on the field, and Henry to help the rookie. And we have Aaron Glenn too, who I thik is capable of another good season.
- We can see if Watkins could develope into a good centerfield. If he can, Henry can stay at CB and the rookie can play the nickel and learn from our veteran CBs.
- Even with Henry and Newman, we still need another CB, considering that this is probably the last season of Aaron Glenn..
- Henry isn't so young. I guess he will be 31 next season, do you think he can play so effective for many years to come?

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 04:13 PM    (permalink
amiyahomiojs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Uh... homer, much?
Yes, I have, actually. They've got tons of talent, and still ranked 13th in the league. Not exactly top-noch. So, don't tell me that Wade Phillips will come in here and everything will get better, even if we had all 7th round picks starting in the secondary. It's magic! :roll: Please...
HELLO!!!!!! they ranked 13th in the league because they had a dominant pass rush.

:roll:
Old 02-17-2007, 05:08 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hate McCauley, the same way I hated Roddy White, Justin Tuck in '05 and Richard Marshall and Omar Jacobs in '06.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 05:12 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit
I hate McCauley, the same way I hated Roddy White, Justin Tuck in '05 and Richard Marshall and Omar Jacobs in '06.
Richard Marshall turned out to be an absolute steal.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 05:17 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
Quote:
Yeah... QBs threw to his side for a reason....
Old 02-17-2007, 07:03 PM    (permalink
amiyahomiojs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano
Drafting CB in round could give us many options..

- If we move Henry to FS we still have Newman to cover the best guy on the field, and Henry to help the rookie. And we have Aaron Glenn too, who I thik is capable of another good season.
- We can see if Watkins could develope into a good centerfield. If he can, Henry can stay at CB and the rookie can play the nickel and learn from our veteran CBs.
- Even with Henry and Newman, we still need another CB, considering that this is probably the last season of Aaron Glenn..
- Henry isn't so young. I guess he will be 31 next season, do you think he can play so effective for many years to come?
Henry will be 30 this season, not 31, and yes, CB's can play at a high level for a while. I wouldn't be apposed to Aarron Ross as long as he runs a 4.45 or better, I like him.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:28 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Uh... homer, much?
HELLO!!!!!! they ranked 13th in the league because they had a dominant pass rush.

:roll:
HELLO!!!!!! Wade Phillips isn't going to wave his majic wand and make our defense #1. Do you really believe what you're saying? You say "WITH WADE FILIPS, WE COULD BE #1 SECONDARY WITH ALL 7TH ROUND PICKS!!!!!111!1!1!!!!1!11!!!1one!!!!" and "WE HAVE 10X MORE TALENT THAN SAN DIEGOS DEFENCE!!!!!!11!!1!!!!!111!" Both of which are not true. you realize SDs corners were 1st and 2nd round picks, and their 3rd CB was a 1st as well. Their safeties may have been drafted a bit later, but they play very well.

BoneKrusher
Old 02-17-2007, 07:51 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Talk about underrating SDs Corners. As of right now... I would rather have Jammer or Florence starting opposite Newman, more so than Henry. As a duo they have us beat at corner, we have a better SS but, as our defense stands right now, they have the better secondary. Lets say you move Henry to FS, he would be much better than Marlon Mcree, IMO. I wanna see it happen, I think he'd be perfect for the role.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 08:18 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
Quote:
Yeah... QBs threw to his side for a reason....
Probably cause he was a rookie and played with Chris Gamble, but I still would like to see the stats on that.

Either way, he sure as hell would have been a better pick than a backup tight end.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 10:31 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Talk about underrating SDs Corners. As of right now... I would rather have Jammer or Florence starting opposite Newman, more so than Henry. As a duo they have us beat at corner, we have a better SS but, as our defense stands right now, they have the better secondary. Lets say you move Henry to FS, he would be much better than Marlon Mcree, IMO. I wanna see it happen, I think he'd be perfect for the role.
I would honestly rather have Henry before those two guys. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. I wanna see what can happen when we have deep support for him. I'm hesitant on moving him to FS because the last time I check, he wasn't the greatest in covering deep. He's a short to mid, physical type corner... not a down field deep coverage guy with recovery speed. I want to keep him at corner and find ourselves a good FS.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:22 AM    (permalink
DancingMonkey
Rookie

DancingMonkey hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I have to agree with D about McCauley - there is just something about his play that I don't like. I wasn't impressed with him the slightest at the Senior Bowl. Just a gut feeling.

If we took a look at him in the 2nd round it'd be more palatable I think, but if he's taken with Daymeion Hughes still on the board in the first I will die. I saw a number of highlights during the NCAA season of Hughes making big plays, he was doing reat at the Senior Bowl before getting injured, and he'd be my preference if we go CB.

Aaron Ross also kinda caught my eye. He seems to be in the same mold Henry already is for us though - more of a physical corner, not a real cover/burner type. I'm undecided if that's what I'd prefer or not.

If something like Kiper's mock happened - with Reggie Nelson falling to us at 22 - we'd almost have to take him, right? I like Watkin's potential, but with Nelson's speed and cover abilities we would have alot of flexibility.
DancingMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:32 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

I soooo hope that LSU is right and that Nelson is on the board when we pick....