Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 02-21-2007, 08:46 PM    (permalink
bigmac076
Veteran

bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNewFan41
Todd McShay has us taking Michael Griffin in the 2nd, I would be fine with that.

And what do you guys think of Dwayne Jarrett at 22, I think that is a real possibility and could be a dark horse.
I think Jarrett willl be one of the biggest busts in this draft. So, no.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:46 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336
yes its contradictory when you twist the words as you are doing. if i need to rephrase it, then allow me to put it this way. They are crappy in the sense that they are not very talented, and before the switch to the 3-4 a few years back and the aquisitions of merriman, castillo, and the coming out of shawn phillips, their secondary sucked. Jammer was picked only a few spots after Newman, yet you hadnt heard his name mentioned as anything other than a bust until this year. Drayton florence was bounced around the league because he couldnt get it done. Marlon Mcree was let go by the panthers because he sucked. Some how all of these guys appear to be doing well. Its due to the play of the front seven. I am making this assumption that our front seven will be much more dominant with phillips instead of parcells holding them back, in turn this will create more pressure allowing our secondary to make plays. A rookie FS could flourish here.

Your reciever will sit no matter what. he is not taking a spot from glenn or T.O. and i doubt he even makes it past crayton.

I would like to spend a first round pick on someone who can play, not someone on special teams.

judging by how many of you were upset about not seeing bobby carpenter until mid season i think its safe to assume most people are on board with me that we want someone who can come in and play right away. FS is certainly an area where that is possible. Reciever is not.
Ive seen plenty of Cowboys games this past year and honestly, there were plenty of times when Parcells unleashed the blitz on other teams.

Those games, they got beat deep often, and gave up alot of points. I cite the Philly game, and Detroit as two examples off the top of my head.

Ive also seen Dallas blitz heavy many times out of their nickel package. The bottomline was whether they rushed 4 or 7, the pass rush was mediocre. It didn't get there.

To me, that means 2 things.

1. The players in the front 7 need to refine their pass rushing skills
2. Maybe we're overrating the talent in the front 7 just a bit.

I think its a combination of both. Right here right now, Ware is not a great pass rusher. The DEs in the 2 gap scheme continually missed their proper gap assignment. When Ellis went down, you had no other credible pass rusher on the edge. The ILBs aren't great at blitzing. The NT doesn't dominate the interior the way Jamal Williams does.

The talent isn't as great as youre making it out to be. And as poor as their safeties are, theyre 10X better in coverage than Dallas's safeties.

Now all of that can change this year, don't get me wrong. With a solid draft, and continued development out of the youth in the front 7, Dallas's defense can make a step forward this year. But when evaluating the issues last year, I think the main problem was that the talent was overrated. For the time being at least. Next year is next year, but this past year, the talent was overrated. Im guilty of overrating that talent myself.
Or BBD, the schemes sucked, which they did. Its all schemes, our secondary is 10x better than San Diegos but they had pressure so they looked good. BP sucks now, he doesn't have it anymore. Wade is gonna make our defense nasty. OMG I can't wait, I want to fast forward to September so bad, we are gonna dominate. Expect Newman and Henry to have atleast 5 INT's each from the pressure we get. And if you don't think this defense has talent and D-Ware isn't a dominant pass rusher just stop watching football. The most talented teams don't always win, look at the Patriots, talent wise they SUCK, but they alwasy win. The top 2 talented teams are the chargers and cowboys. Like thule said above this post, who the hell puts aaron glenn on roy williams? and now newman can take out the #1 all game, cause parcells is an idiot.
We are all so lucky to have you Tnewmanfan. Damn you BBD just leave its not like you actually use logic or have common sense. :|

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:51 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

C'mon now TNew... Our secondary is not 10 times better than anyones. LOL.

I don't think our Defense is overrated as some have said either. They are what they are... Our good talent is still young, so we're waiting on them. While our older guys are mediocre to slightly above average at best. We don't have that star veteran player... like a Brian Urlacher, Ray Lewis, Donnie Edwards, Teddy Bruschi, Jerry Porter, Zach Thomas... We got Bradie James people. So l hope we're not overrating ourselves and I hope no one is overrating us.

Donnie Edwards is not a FA, but I hope the Chargers cut him and I hope we're first in line. Bradie can come off the bench.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:53 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac076
Quote:
Todd McShay has us taking Michael Griffin in the 2nd, I would be fine with that.

And what do you guys think of Dwayne Jarrett at 22, I think that is a real possibility and could be a dark horse.
I think Jarrett willl be one of the biggest busts in this draft. So, no.
I don't think that. In fact, I think he can step in and do what Marcus Colston did if he gets put in the right situation.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:59 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bradie off the bench? He's not only our defensive captain but, our leading tackler for the 2nd straight season.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:02 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H.
Bradie off the bench? He's not only our defensive captain but, our leading tackler for the 2nd straight season.
Defensive captain by default. Leading tackler... I don't care. Maybe he can be good trade bait. He's simply not good enough.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:05 PM    (permalink
bigmac076
Veteran

bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit
C'mon now TNew... Our secondary is not 10 times better than anyones. LOL.

I don't think our Defense is overrated as some have said either. They are what they are... Our good talent is still young, so we're waiting on them. While our older guys are mediocre to slightly above average at best. We don't have that star veteran player... like a Brian Urlacher, Ray Lewis, Donnie Edwards, Teddy Bruschi, Jerry Porter, Zach Thomas... We got Bradie James people. So l hope we're not overrating ourselves and I hope no one is overrating us.

Donnie Edwards is not a FA, but I hope the Chargers cut him and I hope we're first in line. Bradie can come off the bench.
I diagree with you on Jarrett, but I am in total agreement here. Having a guy on the team who really knows the defense. Edwards would help our guys learn the new scheme that much faster. I like it.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:10 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What do you guys think about Aundrae Allison in the 2nd or 3rd. Here's Scott scouting report:

Quote:
Strengths:
A smooth athlete...Ball skills, balance and body control are superb...Has excellent hands and makes both the routine and tough catches...Speed is good, albeit not great, but he plays faster than he times and has a burst...Very elusive and runs well after the catch...A deep threat who can stretch the field vertically...Will work across the middle and in traffic...Very productive...Has potential as a return man.
Plus ESPN said he ran a 4.38 in camp prior to this past season. Plus WR in FA is pretty slim on talent, and I would rather have Allison instead of Ginn, Bowe or Jarrett.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:12 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Defensive captain by default. Leading tackler... I don't care. Maybe he can be good trade bait. He's simply not good enough.
I disagree... give it a year in Wade's D. Who didnt look slow and confused last season on our defense? Zimmer didnt know jack about the 3-4 and it become painfully obvious as it became apparent when our boys hit the field. Bradie and Akin are not as slow as most think they are... when you don't know your proper assignments, you cant play at full speed. Now, that being said... Bradie is not your typical Wade Phillips ILB but, I want see him given a chance. He obviously doesnt have the speed of a Donnie Edwards but, perhaps Bradie can drop a few and get that speed up.

*partially related*

Roy Williams is bigger than Donnie Edwards... I just thought that was worth mentioning.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 02-21-2007, 09:16 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still think that Kevin Burnett becomes our Donnie Edwards.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 02-21-2007, 09:17 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I disagree... give it a year in Wade's D. Who didnt look slow and confused last season on our defense? Zimmer didnt know jack about the 3-4 and it become painfully obvious as it became apparent when our boys hit the field. Bradie and Akin are not as slow as most think they are... when you don't know your proper assignments, you cant play at full speed. Now, that being said... Bradie is not your typical Wade Phillips ILB but, I want see him given a chance. He obviously doesnt have the speed of a Donnie Edwards but, perhaps Bradie can drop a few and get that speed up.

*partially related*

Roy Williams is bigger than Donnie Edwards... I just thought that was worth mentioning.
Donnie is 2 inches taller.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:17 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule
Oooh.... Now there's a thought.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:23 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thule
Oooh.... Now there's a thought.
Burnett fits the skill set, hopefully Phillips can identify it and utilize it. As to the Bradie James not being good enough, I strongly disagree. He plays his role perfectly. The problem, IMO is that him and Akin don't compliment eachother well.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:23 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

*partially related*

Donnie is 2 inches taller.
I know but, I mean weight wise. That just surprised me a bit. Donnie looks pretty big out there, not 227 or so.

I like Burnett's pass rush potential too much for him to be our Donnie Edwards. It will be interesting to see what direction Wade goes in. He has plenty of options he can go with... I really want Carp to become our Shawn Phillips type guy... he needs to work on that speed though.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 02-21-2007, 09:27 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

We could go James and Burnett in the middle. With Ware and Ellis/Carp playing outside... I guess I wouldnt be too opposed to that but, i find it unlikely considering the giant contract we dished out to Akin. I also, cannot see us benching Bradie... it very complicated, Wade will have his work cut out for him.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 02-21-2007, 09:52 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
We could go James and Burnett in the middle. With Ware and Ellis/Carp playing outside... I guess I wouldnt be too opposed to that but, i find it unlikely considering the giant contract we dished out to Akin. I also, cannot see us benching Bradie... it very complicated, Wade will have his work cut out for him.
Carp won't get time to play outside unless Greg Ellis is out of the picture.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:55 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Quote:
Carp won't get time to play outside unless Greg Ellis is out of the picture.
Ellis is old...Carp will have plenty of time this year. Will it be enough to make him worth of the 18th pick....unlikely...but to say he won't see time with ellis there is a bit on the deep end.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 02-21-2007, 09:55 PM    (permalink
bigmac076
Veteran

I dont see having too many guys as a problem.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:01 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac076
I dont see having too many guys as a problem.
Me neither, especially in the 3-4. I'd be worried if we lost any one of these guys.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:05 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

I just think it will be hard to find the starters. Having interchangeable parts is only a good thing, keeps our guys fresh. We have a pretty good D-Line rotation... we could use another NT obviously though. We should be fine, especially with Wade running the show... it makes me so happy to say that.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 02-21-2007, 10:10 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

I was reading at btb...and ran across this.

Quote:
It's a fortuitous day here at BTB. I managed to get my hands on a Wade Phillips defensive playbook of recent vintage. I can't post it, and I'm not going to post any of the specific plays or diagrams, that would be wrong. But I can quote from it and analyze the different formations and blitzes he uses. It's long and detailed so it's going to take me a while to get all the way through it, but it should give me some significant insight into the Phillips 34.

It won't tell me anything that the rest of the NFL coaching staffs don't know, they've been watching film on the Phillips 34 for years, make that decades. They know all about his defenses. San Diego players mentioned some of the philosophy in quotes when he was hired in Dallas. They all talked about his attacking style. But it's interesting to see it defined.

Over the next week or so I'll be posting my observations after reading through it. But let me give you some of the philosophy about the Phillips 34, straight from the playbook.

The opening line states that the defense is an attacking defense. Music to your ears? I thought so.

It further states we will play zone, man-to-man and blitz in any situation. In all situations we will defend the inside or middle of the field first - defend inside to outside. We will not allow the ball to be run inside, we want to force the ball outside. We will not allow the ball to be thrown deep down the middle or inside. We want to force the ball to be thrown short and/or outside.

It also talks about eliminating mental mistakes, using different personnel packages in different situations, the importance of communication between the players, and being a physical defense. The final section of the philosophy chapter ends with this - Finally, our job is to take the ball away from the opponents offense and score or set up good field position for the offense. We must knock the ball loose, force mistakes, and cause turnovers. Turnovers win games!
Personnel Packages kinda opened my eyes abit.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 02-21-2007, 10:16 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think they should keep Carp on the outside. He was showing lots of promise at the end of the season.

Brady can work on the inside, he's the run thumper. You have to compliment him with a quick sideline guy in Phillip's scheme, he's gonna do less LB zones than BP did.

The problem is, what made Edwards work so well in SD is the front 3. That front 3 was dominant, and made sure that Edwards was untouched back there. Does Dallas have that? We don't know. Fergy is solid, but he's no Jamal Williams. Spears and Canty need to step their game up, theyve been average players so far in their development. If they can step it up, it can work. If they continue to be average, the defense will be average in the pass game still.

One of the big misconceptions of the 3-4 defense is that the LB core is the most important piece. Thats not true. Just like any defense, the battles are won and lost in the trenches. SD, NE, Pitt, they have great trench players in their 3-4. Dallas as of right now, doesn't. For the defense to take the next step, the trench players ( the DEs in particular) must take their game to the next level. A solid TC could help them.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:36 PM    (permalink
Im_a_Romosexual
Pro Bowler

Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

One of the big misconceptions of the 3-4 defense is that the LB core is the most important piece. Thats not true. Just like any defense, the battles are won and lost in the trenches. SD, NE, Pitt, they have great trench players in their 3-4. Dallas as of right now, doesn't. For the defense to take the next step, the trench players ( the DEs in particular) must take their game to the next level. A solid TC could help them.
QFT. IMO the 34 is built inside out. every 34 needs a dominant NT and then ends then linebackers, then secondary.
Im_a_Romosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:46 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brian Stewart DC?
Quote:
San Diego Chargers Head Coach Norv Turner has hired Baylor defensive coordinator Bill Bradley, a former NFL secondary coach for the Buffalo Bills and New York Jets, to work alongside fellow Chargers' secondary coach Brian Stewart...
http://baylorbears.cstv.com/sports/m...022107aaa.html

Quote:
The Baylor press release said Bradley will work alongside secondary coach Brian Stewart. But Bradley has a lot of skins on the wall to be an assistant secondary coach. He was a three-time Pro Bowler and has six seasons of experience as an NFL secondary coach.

Three of those seasons were with Wade Phillips' Bills. Ted Cottrell, the Chargers' new defensive coordinator, was the DC on that team.

Sounds to me like Cottrell got a guy he's comfortable with to replace Stewart. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Stewart winds up as the Cowboys' defensive coordinator.
http://cowboys.beloblog.com/archives...n_the_way.html

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 02-22-2007, 12:16 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_a_Romosexual
Quote:

QFT. IMO the 34 is built inside out. every 34 needs a dominant NT and then ends then linebackers, then secondary.
I can't stress enough how badly we need a NT. I know I might sound like a broken record, but Fergy is just not dominant. Tyler's stock has been dropping and I like that. If we can scoop him in round 2, I will be the happiest man alive. Reggie Nelson in Round 1 and Tyler in Round 2... OK Ok ok... Somebody slap me... wake me up. That thought lasted to long, but it was nice while it lasted. :(