Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 04-08-2007, 12:52 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

robert_in_bigd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
I'd give a 2nd and a player or switch 22 and 34 and give a third. Rogers would give us a top 3-4 NT.
Too funny. What where the words ... oh ... "Madden." Way too funny.
robert_in_bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 07:37 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

Didn't know where to post this, but thought this might be a good place. Just a thought, but to get the best value out of the draft, it would make sense to trade down in the first round. To me, the following trade would be exceptional for the Cowboys:

Dallas receives:
Picks 30, 37, and 5th round pick

Chicago receives:
Picks 22 and 53

Believe it or not, it actually checks out on the value chart (Chicago actually gets the better part of trade by about 3 points, 30 points without the 5th round pick). This trade would most likely give us a shot at one of the big 5/6 receivers, the top 4 corners, and one of the big time offensive linemen. Furthermore, it is unlikely that one of those top tier players will fall to us in the second round. This way, we end up with a top level player at 2 of our "wants."

Trading down seems especially to make sense to me if we want to maximize value and pick up an offensive lineman.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:28 AM    (permalink
fryman
Rookie

fryman hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I love how everybody thinks all the teams use that chart. Every team has at least a little different values, and even if they were the same it goes out the window during the draft. Teams will give up more or less depending on how much they or the other team want to move.

Not really aimed at you JJJ888, but a lot of people on here talk about it like that is THE set values for the league.
fryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:57 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think this trade is ok.

And second, that scale is not in concrete, but is fairly close when trying to project trades. It may not be perfect, but it is in the ballpark.
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:44 AM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryman View Post
I love how everybody thinks all the teams use that chart. Every team has at least a little different values, and even if they were the same it goes out the window during the draft. Teams will give up more or less depending on how much they or the other team want to move.

Not really aimed at you JJJ888, but a lot of people on here talk about it like that is THE set values for the league.
For us laymen, that value chart is about the closest we can get to approximating the value of the trade.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:24 PM    (permalink
Achilles33
Veteran

Achilles33 smells like sex panther.Achilles33 smells like sex panther.Achilles33 smells like sex panther.

That would be a great trade JJJ888, we can assure Tyler at 30 or 37, and then take another quality player with the pick that wasn't used on Tyler, plus another 5th to add depth. It's almost like 2 first rounders.
Achilles33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:11 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

All the Parcells haters (including Dallas Media) killed him for being a 100% control freak who was to blame for the failures of the team..... now out of left field one of the lynch mob, John Jacque Taylor writes this stupidity ....

JJT>>>> "This is Marcus Spears' year. It's time for him to become a star. If he can't do it in this scheme, then you have to wonder if its ever going to happen. Although the Cowboys drafted him with the 20th pick in 2005, he was the player Bill Parcells wanted more than any other in that draft. Parcells thought his size and athleticism at defensive end in the 3-4 would make him a star. Parcells wanted him so badly, he pouted in the draft room, when owner Jerry Jones took DeMarcus Ware with the 11th pick because intelligence gathered by the scouts suggested Spears would still be around at 20 but Ware wouldn't."

So let me get JJT -- Parcells controlled everything but .... he did not ... he was to blame for team collapse .... but some players have to step up .... BP controlled Jerry but ..... BP "pouted" as Jerry made his personnel decisions as he wished. Sorry to say but JJT is an a*hole.

Either way goes to show BP did not have the control local media or fans alleged.

Last edited by robert_in_bigd : 04-09-2007 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:24 PM    (permalink
Achilles33
Veteran

Achilles33 smells like sex panther.Achilles33 smells like sex panther.Achilles33 smells like sex panther.

I hate JJT, but I do expect Spears to dominate this year in Wade's scheme, because he isn't a control freak, and lets his assistant coaches do what they are paid to do, coach.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:52 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles33 View Post
I hate JJT, but I do expect Spears to dominate this year in Wade's scheme, because he isn't a control freak, and lets his assistant coaches do what they are paid to do, coach.
For all our sake, I hope we do and so does Marcus.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:15 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

Jean-Jacques Taylor is one of the most rumor-mongering, depsicable, cowardly writers I have ever read. It pains me to read some of his articles. The worst was his article on how TO didn't know the playbook...
Old 04-10-2007, 02:29 PM    (permalink
Achilles33
Veteran

Like every mock now has Reggie Nelson going 28 to the Pats. Any chance we still take him? I mean Hamlin was a dirt cheap deal...

Oh and I was listening to Talkin' Cowboys and they mentioned that Wade Phillips says he is going to make Kevin Burnett a player, and he won't be forgetened anymore....

Last edited by Achilles33 : 04-10-2007 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:35 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ888 View Post
Jean-Jacques Taylor is one of the most rumor-mongering, depsicable, cowardly writers I have ever read. It pains me to read some of his articles. The worst was his article on how TO didn't know the playbook...
I couldn't believe DMN actually printed that one, it was outrageous. He didn't even have anonymous sources, he had NOTHING. The reader was supposed to just take him at his word. Right.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:35 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

Sad to say Jean Jacque Taylor is nothing more than an internet poster with a salary.

Anything you or I say is as smart or well written as his.

In fact, our stuff is better b/c at least our editorial board knows football and does not care what our background is.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:40 PM    (permalink
BX
Veteran

BX hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles33 View Post
Oh and I was listening to Talkin' Cowboys and they mentioned that Wade Phillips says he is going to make Kevin Burnett a player, and he won't be forgetened anymore....
Great news!
Old 04-10-2007, 06:54 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BX View Post
Great news!

It is all love in Valley Ranch until decisions need to be made.

Talk to me about remebered and forgotten once the starting line-ups are made known.

For what it is worth, Brunett to ILB. Crazy I know but he is Donnie Edwards.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:05 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_in_bigd View Post
It is all love in Valley Ranch until decisions need to be made.

Talk to me about remebered and forgotten once the starting line-ups are made known.

I like that idea. Burnett would provide a little more speed to that inside linebacking corps and could definitely contribute in the nickel. Remember, he was supposed to be a first round pick until he dropped to us in the 2nd. I actually had him on my list at pick #20 in that draft. Hopefully this year he gets to live up to that potential.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:05 PM    (permalink
fryman
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_in_bigd View Post
Completely agree, I mentioned that right after Wade was hired and everybody was discussing who fit where in Wade's scheme.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:23 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still think Carp moves inside. Carp and Burnett inside would really leave us weak on the outside..the more I think about Burnett on the inside the less I believe it. A team doesn't go out and interview 5 ROLB prospects at the combine to alternate with the other 2 first round picks on our team. I think that is a direct correlation on what is to happen with Carp.

If I was asked where burnett would play day one...I would put him at the WOLB position. Now my current hunch is that Ware will be playing the strong Side. I think we'll see a completely different package on pressure situations...but as far as our base defense is concerned...I think ellis will see about 50% of the snaps on defense to keep him fresh and active...I see him as our Merriman almost. Except he will be taken out in our base defense occasionally...and replaced with dare I say Burnett? Makes sense now...be interesting to see what develops.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:57 PM    (permalink
fryman
Rookie

Quote:
I still think Carp moves inside. Carp and Burnett inside would really leave us weak on the outside..the more I think about Burnett on the inside the less I believe it. A team doesn't go out and interview 5 ROLB prospects at the combine to alternate with the other 2 first round picks on our team. I think that is a direct correlation on what is to happen with Carp.

If I was asked where burnett would play day one...I would put him at the WOLB position. Now my current hunch is that Ware will be playing the strong Side. I think we'll see a completely different package on pressure situations...but as far as our base defense is concerned...I think ellis will see about 50% of the snaps on defense to keep him fresh and active...I see him as our Merriman almost. Except he will be taken out in our base defense occasionally...and replaced with dare I say Burnett? Makes sense now...be interesting to see what develops.
Yeah I doubt Burnett to the inside would happen, just what I would like to see happen. Also agree on the Carp to the inside as long as Ellis is 100%, which he should be. I would like to see Carp starting, but I can't see James or Ayodele on the bench.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:10 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We'll have lots of movement of players coming on and off the field I'm sure. Guys like Carp Ellis and Burnett will likely be our role players...by the end of the year...James or AA could become role players too. Should be an interesting TC.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 04-11-2007, 12:20 AM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
We'll have lots of movement of players coming on and off the field I'm sure. Guys like Carp Ellis and Burnett will likely be our role players...by the end of the year...James or AA could become role players too. Should be an interesting TC.
I hope James fits better with the new D, he simply wasnt fast enough to run with TE's in the scheme we had last year and often times didn't even get a good bump to throw off the timing. I blame James for part of the problems Roy had although i think roy needs to improve as well.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:29 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
I hope James fits better with the new D, he simply wasnt fast enough to run with TE's in the scheme we had last year and often times didn't even get a good bump to throw off the timing. I blame James for part of the problems Roy had although i think roy needs to improve as well.
If anyone is to prosper out of our new scheme it is going to be Akin. He was a DE in college and is more athletic than James. Akin should have a breakout year if he is used to his full potential.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 04-11-2007, 12:31 AM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
If anyone is to prosper out of our new scheme it is going to be Akin. He was a DE in college and is more athletic than James. Akin should have a breakout year if he is used to his full potential.
well do you see james improving at all? I mean i know he is the "leader" of the defense and he has a relatively new contract, but if he plays like last year i'd rather see him in on only definate run situations and have a more athletic carpenter in his place the rest of the time.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:34 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
well do you see james improving at all? I mean i know he is the "leader" of the defense and he has a relatively new contract, but if he plays like last year i'd rather see him in on only definate run situations and have a more athletic carpenter in his place the rest of the time.
I can't really see him as anything outside of a 2 down backer. But with our depth or supposed depth I don't think he needs to be anything else than that. So do I see him improving? Not necessarily....but I do see him getting put in more situations that suite his strengths rather than playing out of position. I think its safe to say he won't have to worry about nickel duties this year.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 04-11-2007, 02:53 AM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I can't really see him as anything outside of a 2 down backer. But with our depth or supposed depth I don't think he needs to be anything else than that. So do I see him improving? Not necessarily....but I do see him getting put in more situations that suite his strengths rather than playing out of position. I think its safe to say he won't have to worry about nickel duties this year.

I guess thats all we can hope for. James is one of the guys that you would love to have succeed on the team. He sat and waited and finally made it as a starter and I think if most people on the boards are like me he is one of the under dog type guys that you pull for and have expectations that may exceed what he is actually capable of doing.