Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 11-25-2006, 05:34 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staubach12
Quote:
Originally Posted by thule
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdallas
D-Unit is wrong about taking a QB in the first. The Cowboys wouldn't pay first round money when we needed a QB and now all of the sudden we will when we have a good one?

Bledsoe will probably leave and we'll pick up a veteran backup and maybe a developmental guy a little later in the draft.
What are you reading? Pretty sure D has came out and said numerous times now that QB is not a early need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit
I wouldn't be the most surprised person in the world if Parcells himself drafts a QB in the first round if Bledsoe retires. Free Agency is crappy at the QB position. Romo's contract comes up soon and if the Cowboys want any leverage, or safety net, they'll need someone waiting in the wings.... say Troy Smith??? The Boys can't really afford to spend 8M a year for Romo.
First off, let me clarify. I'm totally stoked that Romo has performed so well and looks like he's "our guy". What I'm unsure of is how much he'll want when his contract expires versus how much we can afford. Up to now, we've had the luxury of not spending big money on our QB. If we have to pay Romo the same way the rest of the NFL pays their QBs, we will lose a lot of what has brought us to this point. Think about it... Manning, Favre, Vick, Brees, McNabb, Culpepper, Hasselbeck, Brady, Palmer and on and on and on... Those guys have HUUUUGE contracts. If Romo commands that, we lose the ability to address other areas of the team. A big advantage that we are enjoying now. Not to mention, our team is full of young stars that will command big money of their own in the near future.

Secondly, I only said that "I wouldn't be surprised" if we took a QB early. I mean what if Brian Brohm or Troy Smith is there... I don't know that passing on them will be such an easy decision. I think we would end up passing, but I still wouldn't be surprised at anything. The QB FA crop is weak and if Bledsoe retires, we have to do something. At the moment Romo has all the leverage in the world to get what he wants. If we have a guy in the wings, we can give ourselves a better bargaining stance.

What do you guys think of Chris Simms? He's an UFA this year.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 05:54 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
D-Unit is wrong about taking a QB in the first. The Cowboys wouldn't pay first round money when we needed a QB and now all of the sudden we will when we have a good one?

Bledsoe will probably leave and we'll pick up a veteran backup and maybe a developmental guy a little later in the draft.
What are you reading? Pretty sure D has came out and said numerous times now that QB is not a early need.

Quote:
I wouldn't be the most surprised person in the world if Parcells himself drafts a QB in the first round if Bledsoe retires. Free Agency is crappy at the QB position. Romo's contract comes up soon and if the Cowboys want any leverage, or safety net, they'll need someone waiting in the wings.... say Troy Smith??? The Boys can't really afford to spend 8M a year for Romo.
First off, let me clarify. I'm totally stoked that Romo has performed so well and looks like he's "our guy". What I'm unsure of is how much he'll want when his contract expires versus how much we can afford. Up to now, we've had the luxury of not spending big money on our QB. If we have to pay Romo the same way the rest of the NFL pays their QBs, we will lose a lot of what has brought us to this point. Think about it... Manning, Favre, Vick, Brees, McNabb, Culpepper, Hasselbeck, Brady, Palmer and on and on and on... Those guys have HUUUUGE contracts. If Romo commands that, we lose the ability to address other areas of the team. A big advantage that we are enjoying now. Not to mention, our team is full of young stars that will command big money of their own in the near future.

Secondly, I only said that "I wouldn't be surprised" if we took a QB early. I mean what if Brian Brohm or Troy Smith is there... I don't know that passing on them will be such an easy decision. I think we would end up passing, but I still wouldn't be surprised at anything. The QB FA crop is weak and if Bledsoe retires, we have to do something. At the moment Romo has all the leverage in the world to get what he wants. If we have a guy in the wings, we can give ourselves a better bargaining stance.

I like Simms. We should just go with him, draft a QB in the 5th, and sign Romo a big contract.

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 06:29 PM    (permalink
Poet3334
Rookie

Poet3334 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I like Simms as well. I don't know if he'd want to start or not, but I'd like to have him as a number 2. It'd be another example of us building quality depth at key positions.

"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
Albert Camus
Poet3334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 06:32 PM    (permalink
Poet3334
Rookie

Poet3334 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

On a side note, have any of you guys heard about this Michael Irvin- Tony Romo story?

http://thebiglead.com/

"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
Albert Camus
Poet3334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 07:05 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poet3334
On a side note, have any of you guys heard about this Michael Irvin- Tony Romo story?

http://thebiglead.com/
Oh, snap! That's just no good...

BoneKrusher
Old 11-25-2006, 07:24 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I like Simms as well. I don't know if he'd want to start or not, but I'd like to have him as a number 2. It'd be another example of us building quality depth at key positions.
You guys don't think it'd be too weird for Parcells to coach a father and son in the NFL?
Old 11-25-2006, 08:37 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Quote:
Quote:
You guys don't think it'd be too weird for Parcells to coach a father and son in the NFL?
No, I actually like it.

BoneKrusher
Old 11-25-2006, 08:51 PM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I don't think Jones will have any problem giving Romo a big contract, especially if he is successful in the playoffs. He never had problems rewarding Aikman. While Romo's not in that class yet, he could be if he keeps playing this way. The quotes I've read from Jones indicates that he had problems with spending a high draft pick/big contract on a QB because the bust potential is so high.

BTW, I like your idea of Simms as a backup.
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 08:56 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

OK, I've officially decided: I want MBIII to start. I just think he's better. We should trade Jones and use Barber as the full-time back.

BoneKrusher
Old 11-25-2006, 09:10 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
OK, I've officially decided: I want MBIII to start. I just think he's better. We should trade Jones and use Barber as the full-time back.
I've gone back and forth on this, I've even said in the past we don't need JJ. But I think I've come to agree with Parcells on this: a two-headed monster is exactly what we need. I think MB3 could do it on his own fairly well, but I don't care to find out. I think a true scat-back type guy would be better than JJ (someone with hands would be nice so MB3 isn't the only one) would be better, but JJ is fine. That is, until he wants a new contract. We should NEVER pay JJ top dollar, as soon as he demands it I want his ass gone.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 09:19 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward
Quote:
I've gone back and forth on this, I've even said in the past we don't need JJ. But I think I've come to agree with Parcells on this: a two-headed monster is exactly what we need. I think MB3 could do it on his own fairly well, but I don't care to find out. I think a true scat-back type guy would be better than JJ (someone with hands would be nice so MB3 isn't the only one) would be better, but JJ is fine. That is, until he wants a new contract. We should NEVER pay JJ top dollar, as soon as he demands it I want his ass gone.
Even if we use the two-headed monster, I still think Barber should recieve the majority of the carries. Jones is averaging 4.0 YPC, Barber averages 5.1.

BoneKrusher
Old 11-25-2006, 10:22 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward
Quote:
Even if we use the two-headed monster, I still think Barber should recieve the majority of the carries. Jones is averaging 4.0 YPC, Barber averages 5.1.
Barber also does the majority of his running on third down when passing situations arise...and late in the game when the defenses are run down. I really don't think YPC is a good gauge as to who gets the majority of the carries.

The only way JJ isn't with us next year is if we fall inlove like last year. Personally I could see us falling in love with Bush and him lasting till late round one. But who would trade him to? RB isn't exacty pulling a premeium this year..not many teams need one either. I mean really if you break down the top 10 teams in the league the only team that could use a younger RB would be Baltimore.

Lets say a team in the early second wants JJ...really we don't have many options here either...Texans/Browns/Raiders those teams all seem to have alot of needs...hard to see them giving up a draft pick.

Lets not forget this only happens if we find someone we think fills our RB situation better then JJ...the only back that seems to do that would be Bush...and who's to say we think he would be an upgrade. I think JJ has done just fine this year...and unless we can get a top 40 pick for him I want him to stay here.

What type of value do you even think he has....any team in the top 10 has a chance at AD and lynch...after that guys like Bush/Irons will be available early 2nd...I just don't see the math.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 10:32 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

I'd like to see us draft a QB in the mid/late rounds to develop into a backup this year...think RYAN FITZGERALD....
Old 11-25-2006, 10:47 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ888
I'd like to see us draft a QB in the mid/late rounds to develop into a backup this year...think RYAN FITZGERALD....
Look no further then Trent Edwards baby.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 11-25-2006, 10:53 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't think he lasts long enough for us to take a late-round flyer on him...although I like the Stanford guys.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:00 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I don't think he lasts long enough for us to take a late-round flyer on him...although I like the Stanford guys.
This draft is pretty deep for QBs...especially if a guy like Russel comes out. Not only that...but a starting QB isn't really a need for many teams...which could lead to the falling of some solid qb's. I could see Edwards lasting into the 5th round personally.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 11-25-2006, 11:10 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This draft is pretty deep for QBs...especially if a guy like Russel comes out. Not only that...but a starting QB isn't really a need for many teams...which could lead to the falling of some solid qb's. I could see Edwards lasting into the 5th round personally.
If he does, then I certainly would take him...I haven't started doing research on specific prospects yet, but I've heard that Edwards could be the #2 Senior QB, ahead of Drew Stanton...my thinking, especially with quarterbacks, is that you go where you belong--that is, regardless of the quality and depth of the position, you will usually go where your talent indicates you should, and to me, Edwards seems like a late 1st or 2nd round guy. He might slip a little bit if underclassmen do come out, but in general I believe that Edwards will be selected where his value tells scouts he should go.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:27 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If he does, then I certainly would take him...I haven't started doing research on specific prospects yet, but I've heard that Edwards could be the #2 Senior QB, ahead of Drew Stanton...my thinking, especially with quarterbacks, is that you go where you belong--that is, regardless of the quality and depth of the position, you will usually go where your talent indicates you should, and to me, Edwards seems like a late 1st or 2nd round guy. He might slip a little bit if underclassmen do come out, but in general I believe that Edwards will be selected where his value tells scouts he should go.
You do realize he got injured for the year about half way through the year right? Torn his ACL if i'm not mistaken. Not only that but he didn't have a great impact on his team this year...he kinda underachieved what people thought he would be doing this year. So I wouldn't say his stock is up...let alone ahead of Stanton...Stanton hasn't played great either...but he's atleast played every game.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 11-26-2006, 01:55 AM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Jdallas hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Troy Hambrick was a good RB until you gave him a full load...

Desings by D-Unit
Jdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 02:35 AM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Danm I haven't heard that name in forever. Good thing I haven't either, the man used to fall before he even hit the hole. Miracle we made the playoffs that year he started.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 03:38 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Stanford guys??? Like who? Chad Hutchinson? LOL! Fa get it! I don't want Edwards... the guy couldn't win a game if his life depended on it.

If we give a look in the mid rounds at a QB, one of my favs is John Beck from BYU.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:47 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Uh guys... we need to keep JJ. He and MB3 work very well together. I've always loved MB3 more, and that's no secret, but I don't like 1 back systems. Michael Bush would be very cool though.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:26 AM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Stanford guys??? Like who? Chad Hutchinson? LOL! Fa get it! I don't want Edwards... the guy couldn't win a game if his life depended on it.

If we give a look in the mid rounds at a QB, one of my favs is John Beck from BYU.
Just wondering, what do you guys think about Stanback?

BoneKrusher
Old 11-26-2006, 08:27 AM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Quote:
Good point...

BoneKrusher
Old 11-26-2006, 10:29 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Uh guys... we need to keep JJ. He and MB3 work very well together. I've always loved MB3 more, and that's no secret, but I don't like 1 back systems. Michael Bush would be very cool though.
Amen and Amen...talk about trading JJ is foolish.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote