Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2007, 12:36 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 61,602
Reputation: 2501644
D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_in_bigd View Post
Tony needs to learn and I have not seen anything since last year.

I am very concerned about his lack of improvement in the mechanical basics.

Find out more on Sunday night.

BTW, not saying anything others are not repeating.
It's been a couple of quarters in a few preseason games and you've already made up your mind Romo is a big huge worry and our season is in question?

I really can't take your point of view on Tony's mechanics because.... well, you are not Wade Wilson. Unless you know exactly what he worked on, it's all assumption on your part. You can talk about mechanics all you want, but it really is funny to hear that you have some expertise on it.

Anyways... whatever Romo is, I'm behind him all the way, and I'm hoping he is successful and leads us to a good season. I know he's not perfect, but I can't sit here and criticize the guy before the first game of the season.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 12:39 AM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,376
Reputation: 83
robert_in_bigd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
Mechanics are only part of the game tho. You can think of a great player in any sport who doesn't have good mechanics. For instance...Michael Jordan had horrible form on his jumpshot. But he turned out all right. I'll take a guy with the heart and forgettful mind that is needed as a QB over perfect mechanics. You can either make the throws or you can't....
Jordan had horrible mechanics?

I know alot about Football but 10X more basketball.

Michael Jordan had almost text book form. Just look at at ball in his hands when being released.

His only flaw was that his form prevented from being a great 3 point bomber because he pushed the ball from the center of his body to release.

And even that, once you learn to get your legs underneath you that form is not a handicap persee. Dale Ellis and Reggie Miller come to mind with similar forms.

Last edited by robert_in_bigd : 09-03-2007 at 12:41 AM.
robert_in_bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 12:40 AM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,376
Reputation: 83
robert_in_bigd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
It's been a couple of quarters in a few preseason games and you've already made up your mind Romo is a big huge worry and our season is in question?

I really can't take your point of view on Tony's mechanics because.... well, you are not Wade Wilson. Unless you know exactly what he worked on, it's all assumption on your part. You can talk about mechanics all you want, but it really is funny to hear that you have some expertise on it.

Anyways... whatever Romo is, I'm behind him all the way, and I'm hoping he is successful and leads us to a good season. I know he's not perfect, but I can't sit here and criticize the guy before the first game of the season.
I am hoping he is great. Regardless, I am concerned. Why is this so bad?
robert_in_bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 12:40 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Posts: 12,017
Reputation: 243071
thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_in_bigd View Post
Jordan had horrible mechanics?

I know alot about Football but 10X more basketball.

Michael Jordan had almost text book form. Just look at at ball in his hands when being released.

His only flaw was that his form prevented from being a great 3 point bomber because he pushed the ball from the center of his body to release.

And even that, once you learn to get your legs underneath you that form is not a handicap persee. Ellis and Reggie come to mind with similar forms.
He used his guide hand to force the ball forward...thats about the worst thing a shooter can do.
__________________

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 12:46 AM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,376
Reputation: 83
robert_in_bigd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
He used his guide hand to force the ball forward...thats about the worst thing a shooter can do.
No, the worst thing a shooter can do is palm the ball in the act of shooting, second worst is roll it off the pinky, third worst is let your thumb prevent a fluid release (guys with big hands), fourth is have a flat release, fifth is not having your legs underneath you.

Perfect release has your middle finger and the r e t a r d e d one last touching the ball.

Jordan had a beautiful jump shot toward the middle to back end of his career. In fact he was a fantastic jump shooter from about 30 on.

Just let this one go.

Last edited by robert_in_bigd : 09-03-2007 at 12:48 AM.
robert_in_bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 12:50 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Posts: 12,017
Reputation: 243071
thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_in_bigd View Post
No, the worst thing a shooter can do is palm the ball in the act of shooting, second worst is roll it off the pinky, third worst is let your thumb prevent a fluid release (guys with big hands), fourth is have a flat release, fifth is not having your legs underneath you.

Let it go. Jordan had a beautiful jump shot toward the middle to back end of his career. In fact he was a jump shooter from about 30 on.
Jordan was into his thirties before he started shooting with his fingure tips. No idea what your talking about with the pinky.

He used his guide hand to push the ball. The is why when he came into the league he had trouble hitting the center of the basket. He wasn't a pure shooter. Ray Allen has the best form of anyone as I'm sure almost everyone knows...but even when he misses it's short or long it's not off to the left or right. Jordan had this problem for most of his career. I'm not saying that this held him back...but this was his biggest problem on the court. His mechanics were nowhere near textbook.
__________________

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:13 AM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,376
Reputation: 83
robert_in_bigd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
Jordan was into his thirties before he started shooting with his fingure tips. No idea what your talking about with the pinky.

He used his guide hand to push the ball. The is why when he came into the league he had trouble hitting the center of the basket. He wasn't a pure shooter. Ray Allen has the best form of anyone as I'm sure almost everyone knows...but even when he misses it's short or long it's not off to the left or right. Jordan had this problem for most of his career. I'm not saying that this held him back...but this was his biggest problem on the court. His mechanics were nowhere near textbook.
Jordan was much younger when he became an excellent jump shooter. Jordan's release was text book.

And it is your release, not what you mentioned, which defines a great jump shooter. Dale Ellis and Reggie Miller also guided the ball -- but had great releases.

Pinky -- the ball rolls off the pinky on your shooting hand. Happens when you have a small hand or your off hand plays an all too important role in releasing your shot.

Actually see it all the time in the NBA when guy shoot off balance. The off hand takes over to control the ball and the rotation is off.
robert_in_bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:19 AM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,376
Reputation: 83
robert_in_bigd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Text book release .. his shot to beat the Utah Jazz with Russell checking him. That tape should be given to all kid playing ball if for no other reason than to show his hands as the ball is released.
robert_in_bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:55 AM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: BIG ORANGE COUNTRY
Posts: 6,363
Reputation: 18165
Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Robert, You're not adressing the fct that he used his guide hand to push the ball. All you do is say, "zomg!!!1! Textbook!!!1!1" Howabout adressing that? Heck, look what you say here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_in_bigd View Post
Happens when you have a small hand or your off hand plays an all too important role in releasing your shot.
You say that that's a problem!!!!
__________________

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 04:58 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,376
Reputation: 83
robert_in_bigd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staubach12 View Post
Robert, You're not adressing the fct that he used his guide hand to push the ball. All you do is say, "zomg!!!1! Textbook!!!1!1" Howabout adressing that? Heck, look what you say here: You say that that's a problem!!!!
OK, not sure what a text book release has anything to do with what is being discussed but go right ahead and be upset. I could care less if he had a Larry Bird or Ray Allen tear drop jumper. Jordan was a great jump shooter and had a textbook release with great footwork.

I could give a crap less about the rest because that is 95% of shooting. Why discuss 5% (push) when 95% (release and footwork) is more important.

Same for Romo, his footwork and follow through (the basics to velocity and accuracy) can be much better.
robert_in_bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 05:54 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,376
Reputation: 83
robert_in_bigd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

OT: Duckseason,

Why can't the dumb a r s e coach give Stewart the ball more than 10 times per game?

Is he as ******** as I think or just so in love with a spread offense that he forgets to use his best player on the field?

Reminds me of Mike Martz forgetting Faulk versus the Patriots in the SB or Cam Cameron forgetting LT versus the Patriots last year.

Incredible.
robert_in_bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:18 PM    (permalink
eaglesfan_45
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,750
Reputation: -1586
eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.eaglesfan_45 smells like sex panther.
Default

Woah my bad i guess one of my friends got on my account and wrote that anyways sorry about that guys i don't think the cowboys suck i think that they are the only ones in the NFC East who can challenge or beat us. That was my bad and i didn't even know about it until i got a pm from Draft Guru.
eaglesfan_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:32 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,376
Reputation: 83
robert_in_bigd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

"We made our decisions based on the best players we could put on the field," Jerry said. "I have a lot of respect for Aaron Glenn. Boy, he really gave us a great two years. But I really want, ultimately, the guys who have the best chance of making plays. ... Sometimes just being in the right spot is not enough. We like to have some people that cause stuff to happen."

So if I am to read this correctly, four 7th round CBs in Ball, Reeves, Jones and Brown where picked ahead of Glenn b/c they can make things happen.

I just can't believe this passes for a Pro-GM's level of thinking but I do think this really what is in Jerrah's little football pea brain.

* I know I am going to get 1,000 dopes telling me the Wade system relies on turnovers without 1 soul telling me why Aaron Glenn was less likely to "make plays" in comparison to FOUR 7th round picks.

** Is Ball PS now?
robert_in_bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:37 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Posts: 12,017
Reputation: 243071
thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Wade said this

Quote:
When asked about Aaron Glenn being cut, he said the criteria they used is: can they start, could they start in future, their special teams value and also whether they have a specialty like nickel defender, nickel rusher, 3rd down receiver. He said Terence Newman is the starter, he might not be the first game, but he’ll be back soon. Then you go down the line using the criteria.
__________________

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty

Last edited by thule : 09-05-2007 at 05:51 PM.
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:01 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,376
Reputation: 83
robert_in_bigd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

So Wade said>>>>> When asked about Aaron Glenn being cut, he said the criteria they used is: can they start, could they start in future, their special teams value and also whether they have a specialty like nickel defender, nickel rusher, 3rd down receiver. He said Terence Newman is the starter, he might not be the first game, but he’ll be back soon. Then you go down the line using the criteria.

And Jerrah's said>>>>make plays? (*which I assume is INTs)

At least Wade's list makes some sense but it does not look like it was used in the Glenn decision.

It looks like Jerrah made something up the Coach did not use and then arbitrarily assumed Glenn was less a play maker then less say Alan Ball or Nate Jones.

Arbitrary b/c none of the Cowboys back up have done a damn thing in their career. I am telling you this guy is just a nin-com-poop GM but since he is the owner ......

Be nice if Jerrrah said the following>>>>>> Glenn costs more money. I rather pocket it. Plus, he has no upside beyond 2007. I know our nickel will suck worse than before but I PRAY we get more pressure and maybe one of these 7th rounders will actually pan out. But, true, Aaron Glenn in the short run for 2007 is a smarter choice.

Instead Jerkco Jones says "make plays" and thinks we are all as stupid as his relatives.
robert_in_bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:23 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 61,602
Reputation: 2501644
D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

The way I see it is Jerry is trying to use this case as motivational tool to communicate to the players that they need to be more conscious of causing turnovers. It's not so much the cause of releasing Glen. Glen is a big name and Jerry is being smart about demonstrating to the team, that no one is untouchable. I wouldn't buy into it as his main reasoning for Glen's release. Let the media folks and common fan buy into it. We should be smarter than that.

The cause of releasing Glen is that simply, Glen doesn't have the size the WP's prototype cornerbacks. In his scheme, he needs corners that are big and physical. Corners that play a physical brand of football. They need to bump receivers coming off the line of scrimmage, disrupt timing, and knock receivers off their routes in order to buy time to pressure the QB. It's an approach that rewards for quick plays, blitzing the QB and attacking the backfield. However, the negative affect is if we are not successful early after the snap, then the longer the play lasts, the better it is for the opposing offense to have success against us because physical corners are usually not as good in deeper coverage and we would be susceptible to the bigger plays.

That is why we let go of Glen. He can cover for plays that take time for opposing offenses to develop, but he's not a physical CB. He's not a fit for WP's style of play. Our defense will be highly focused on attacking. Therefore it is much more useful to have physical corners who can disrupt routes early on to buy time for our front 7 to attack. If a QB has to wait to throw the ball because his WR is not where he is supposed to be, then our guys will be all over him. Aaron Glen is better suited for a passive defense that is more "read and react" than what Phillips is instilling, "control and attack".

Know this, maaaan.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:34 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,376
Reputation: 83
robert_in_bigd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
The way I see it is Jerry is trying to use this case as motivational tool to communicate to the players that they need to be more conscious of causing turnovers. It's not so much the cause of releasing Glen. Glen is a big name and Jerry is being smart about demonstrating to the team, that no one is untouchable. I wouldn't buy into it as his main reasoning for Glen's release. Let the media folks and common fan buy into it. We should be smarter than that.

The cause of releasing Glen is that simply, Glen doesn't have the size the WP's prototype cornerbacks. In his scheme, he needs corners that are big and physical. Corners that play a physical brand of football. They need to bump receivers coming off the line of scrimmage, disrupt timing, and knock receivers off their routes in order to buy time to pressure the QB. It's an approach that rewards for quick plays, blitzing the QB and attacking the backfield. However, the negative affect is if we are not successful early after the snap, then the longer the play lasts, the better it is for the opposing offense to have success against us because physical corners are usually not as good in deeper coverage and we would be susceptible to the bigger plays.

That is why we let go of Glen. He can cover for plays that take time for opposing offenses to develop, but he's not a physical CB. He's not a fit for WP's style of play. Our defense will be highly focused on attacking. Therefore it is much more useful to have physical corners who can disrupt routes early on to buy time for our front 7 to attack. If a QB has to wait to throw the ball because his WR is not where he is supposed to be, then our guys will be all over him. Aaron Glen is better suited for a passive defense that is more "read and react" than what Phillips is instilling, "control and attack".

Know this, maaaan.
Can you email to this Jerry? At least it makes sense.

Personally, he saved a ton of money and to your point, maybe Reeves and Jones are better fit.

We shall see.

But Glenn can play bump with smaller receivers and slot guys .... which is why he plays nickel mostly.

Still think Glenn for 2007 is better than any alternative we have.
robert_in_bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:43 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 61,602
Reputation: 2501644
D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_in_bigd View Post
Can you email to this Jerry? At least it makes sense.

Personally, he saved a ton of money and to your point, maybe Reeves and Jones are better fit.

We shall see.

But Glenn can play bump with smaller receivers and slot guys .... which is why he plays nickel mostly.

Still think Glenn for 2007 is better than any alternative we have.
I'm curious as to how much we did save. I wasn't under the impression that Glen was making big bucks.

As for Glen covering the nickel, your point is true. However, I don't think that is a big enough role. I think the NB will need to do more than just play NB. Glen didn't even participate on special teams. Especially with Newman's injury on the front of everyone's minds... it would be hard to keep someone who just has NB ability. I think the right decision was made, even though it was a difficult one.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:55 PM    (permalink
dc4life
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 293
Reputation: -27
dc4life needs more cowbell.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
The way I see it is Jerry is trying to use this case as motivational tool to communicate to the players that they need to be more conscious of causing turnovers. It's not so much the cause of releasing Glen. Glen is a big name and Jerry is being smart about demonstrating to the team, that no one is untouchable. I wouldn't buy into it as his main reasoning for Glen's release. Let the media folks and common fan buy into it. We should be smarter than that.

The cause of releasing Glen is that simply, Glen doesn't have the size the WP's prototype cornerbacks. In his scheme, he needs corners that are big and physical. Corners that play a physical brand of football. They need to bump receivers coming off the line of scrimmage, disrupt timing, and knock receivers off their routes in order to buy time to pressure the QB. It's an approach that rewards for quick plays, blitzing the QB and attackingthebackfield. However, the negative affect is if we are not successful early after the snap, then the longer the play lasts, the better it is for the opposing offense to have success against us because physical corners are usually not as good in deeper coverage and we would be susceptible to the bigger plays.

That is why we let go of Glen. He can cover for plays that take time for opposing offenses to develop, but he's not a physical CB. He's not a fit for WP's style of play. Our defense will be highly focused on attacking. Therefore it is much more useful to have physical corners who can disrupt routes early on to buy time for our front 7 to attack. If a QB has to wait to throw the ball because his WR is not where he is supposed to be, then our guys will be all over him. Aaron Glen is better suited for a passive defense that is more "read and react" than what Phillips is instilling, "control and attack".

Know this, maaaan.
I also think cutting Glenn was a bad idea. I know Roy Williams went on the record and has already expressed his thoughts about the Glenn situation (didn't like it). If your theory is correct about the team wanting more physical CBs then we certainly did not address that issue by promoting Reeves to starter.

Heres the height/weight for Glenn, Reeves, Nate Jones.

Aaron Glenn | #31 | DB
Jacksonville Jaguars
Height: 5-9 Weight: 183 Age: 35
________________________________
Jacques Reeves | #35 | DB
Dallas Cowboys
Height: 5-11 Weight: 188 Age: 24
________________________________
Nate Jones | #33 | DB
Dallas Cowboys
Height: 5-10 Weight: 183 Age: 25

The height/weight of these corners are relatively the same. This is probably the average for cornerbacks across the league. When I think of a physical CB, I think of someone who is above average in height for a CB and certainly weighs more.

For instance, Jammer and Henry.

Quentin Jammer | #23 | CB
San Diego Chargers
Height: 6-0 Weight: 204 Age: 28
_______________________________
Anthony Henry | #42 | CB
Dallas Cowboys
Height: 6-1 Weight: 205 Age: 30

These two are better suited for jamming people at the line. I don't see how Reeves and Nate Jones are upgrades for this task. In fact, I think they are the same type of corner back Glenn is. The only reason I can see for cutting Glenn is that he is too old/injury prone/on the decline.
dc4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:05 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 61,602
Reputation: 2501644
D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc4life View Post
I also think cutting Glenn was a bad idea. I know Roy Williams went on the record and has already expressed his thoughts about the Glenn situation (didn't like it). If your theory is correct about the team wanting more physical CBs then we certainly did not address that issue by promoting Reeves to starter.

Heres the height/weight for Glenn, Reeves, Nate Jones.

Aaron Glenn | #31 | DB
Jacksonville Jaguars
Height: 5-9 Weight: 183 Age: 35
________________________________
Jacques Reeves | #35 | DB
Dallas Cowboys
Height: 5-11 Weight: 188 Age: 24
________________________________
Nate Jones | #33 | DB
Dallas Cowboys
Height: 5-10 Weight: 183 Age: 25

The height/weight of these corners are relatively the same. This is probably the average for cornerbacks across the league. When I think of a physical CB, I think of someone who is above average in height for a CB and certainly weighs more.

For instance, Jammer and Henry.

Quentin Jammer | #23 | CB
San Diego Chargers
Height: 6-0 Weight: 204 Age: 28
_______________________________
Anthony Henry | #42 | CB
Dallas Cowboys
Height: 6-1 Weight: 205 Age: 30

These two are better suited for jamming people at the line. I don't see how Reeves and Nate Jones are upgrades for this task. In fact, I think they are the same type of corner back Glenn is. The only reason I can see for cutting Glenn is that he is too old/injury prone/on the decline.
Appreciate the research, but I don't know where those numbers are from.

Reeves is listed at 5'11, 192
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/player...e?statsId=6982

Jones is listed at 5'10, 192
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/player...e?statsId=6964

That's at least an inch and 10 pounds more than Glen, which is significant. I'm sure age and susceptibility to injury also factored in as well, which supports part of your point.

What I'm saying is not a theory though. It's a fact on the prototype of a CB in a Phillips 3-4 D. Look at the corners he drafted in San Diego... Drayton Florence, Quentin Jammer, Antonio Cromartie... all big physical corners.

So back to what you said... cutting Glen a bad idea based of him being similar in size to Reeves and Jones... the basis of your judgement is incorrect (the size difference is significant), so I would re-evaluate your opinion.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:08 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,376
Reputation: 83
robert_in_bigd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Glenn has a $2MM contract for the year of which I think $500K has been paid.

So Jerrah saved 1.5MM,,,,,,, a hell of alot more than Reeves or Jones
robert_in_bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:09 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,376
Reputation: 83
robert_in_bigd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Appreciate the research, but I don't know where those numbers are from.

Reeves is listed at 5'11, 192
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/player...e?statsId=6982

Jones is listed at 5'10, 192
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/player...e?statsId=6964

That's at least an inch and 10 pounds more than Glen, which is significant. I'm sure age and susceptibility to injury also factored in as well, which supports part of your point.

What I'm saying is not a theory though. It's a fact on the prototype of a CB in a Phillips 3-4 D. Look at the corners he drafted in San Diego... Drayton Florence, Quentin Jammer, Antonio Cromartie... all big physical corners.

So back to what you said... cutting Glen a bad idea based of him being similar in size to Reeves and Jones... the basis of your judgement is incorrect (the size difference is significant), so I would re-evaluate your opinion.
Point is they are bigger but not big enough per se.

So, we can move on.
robert_in_bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:17 PM    (permalink
dc4life
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 293
Reputation: -27
dc4life needs more cowbell.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Appreciate the research, but I don't know where those numbers are from.

Reeves is listed at 5'11, 192
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/player...e?statsId=6982

Jones is listed at 5'10, 192
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/player...e?statsId=6964

That's at least an inch and 10 pounds more than Glen, which is significant. I'm sure age and susceptibility to injury also factored in as well, which supports part of your point.

What I'm saying is not a theory though. It's a fact on the prototype of a CB in a Phillips 3-4 D. Look at the corners he drafted in San Diego... Drayton Florence, Quentin Jammer, Antonio Cromartie... all big physical corners.

So back to what you said... cutting Glen a bad idea based of him being similar in size to Reeves and Jones... the basis of your judgement is incorrect (the size difference is significant), so I would re-evaluate your opinion.
I actually got my sources from NFL.com. The numbers do seem a bit off. Florence, Jammer and Cromartie are certainty bigger than Reeves and Jones still. I guess you can say Reeves and Jones are more physical than Glenn, but to me, these guys are just bodies to stick in. I still can't say that Reeves and Jones are physical CBs cause of their limited playing time. I hardly see them jam their WRs and I usually see them making tackles for plays they gave up (can be a bad and good thing) when they are in.
dc4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:19 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 61,602
Reputation: 2501644
D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_in_bigd View Post
Glenn has a $2MM contract for the year of which I think $500K has been paid.

So Jerrah saved 1.5MM,,,,,,, a hell of alot more than Reeves or Jones
I can see that also being a factor in his release. I wouldn't call it a main factor though. Jerry's never been a penny pincher.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:23 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 61,602
Reputation: 2501644
D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc4life View Post
I actually got my sources from NFL.com. The numbers do seem a bit off. Florence, Jammer and Cromartie are certainty bigger than Reeves and Jones still. I guess you can say Reeves and Jones are more physical than Glenn, but to me, these guys are just bodies to stick in. I still can't say that Reeves and Jones are physical CBs cause of their limited playing time. I hardly see them jam their WRs and I usually see them making tackles for plays they gave up (can be a bad and good thing) when they are in.
I don't know if anyone outside of those watching daily practices can actually say what Reeves and Jones are all about. Another factor in them sticking with the team is that it's high tide that we see what we actually have. It seems those 2 have stuck around long enough without consistently producing in game time situations. The fact that they've been able to stick must mean that they've shown glimpses in practice.

Yeah, they aren't as big as the San Diego CBs, but Wade has to work with what he's got. Sorta like Bill working with Dat and Coakley early on.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.