Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 09-26-2007, 02:28 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, all I have to say about this week is that it is one of a few chances this year to pad our defensive stat totals, specifically sacks.

You'll notice, the defenses that put up ridiculous sack totals in years past always make hay against horrendous O-lines. The Chargers posted something like 16 sacks in two games against the Raiders last year, for example.

I think this game will be a measuring stick for what we are truly doing in the pass rush. We should have Newman back as a starter, imo. That should, theoretically, free us up to be more aggressive with the pass rush.

You will notice that we haven't sent a single zero blitz all season. And after the Giants game, we haven't been that aggressive at all the last two games. Manning and Green both were on strict 3 and 5 step drop gameplans, and were getting the ball out quickly. Grossman took a little longer in the pocket, but was still firing it out fairly quickly. He didn't do a lot of patting of the ball, he was just inaccurate and hurried.

This week, against a team without jack **** for an O-line, and with a passing scheme that calls for tons of 7 step drops and slow-developing pass routes, we should have a minimum of 5 sacks. Ware and Spencer should each have one, and James or Ayodele should get one as well. If they don't, then we can officially being questioning the "improved pass rush" part of the new scheme. That doesn't mean our D is doomed to failure, but it will suggest that all the "IT WAS ALL TEH SKEEM!!" rhetoric was false.

With that said, I am starting to be impressed by Spencer. He looks 100x better now than early in the preseason, and he has improved every week. You are starting to see his superior physical skills on display more regularly. He is very solidly built, but still have very, very good (though not quite elite) acceleration and burst. He might end up being a really good one. Color me encouraged.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:35 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
Well, all I have to say about this week is that it is one of a few chances this year to pad our defensive stat totals, specifically sacks.

You'll notice, the defenses that put up ridiculous sack totals in years past always make hay against horrendous O-lines. The Chargers posted something like 16 sacks in two games against the Raiders last year, for example.

I think this game will be a measuring stick for what we are truly doing in the pass rush. We should have Newman back as a starter, imo. That should, theoretically, free us up to be more aggressive with the pass rush.

You will notice that we haven't sent a single zero blitz all season. And after the Giants game, we haven't been that aggressive at all the last two games. Manning and Green both were on strict 3 and 5 step drop gameplans, and were getting the ball out quickly. Grossman took a little longer in the pocket, but was still firing it out fairly quickly. He didn't do a lot of patting of the ball, he was just inaccurate and hurried.

This week, against a team without jack **** for an O-line, and with a passing scheme that calls for tons of 7 step drops and slow-developing pass routes, we should have a minimum of 5 sacks. Ware and Spencer should each have one, and James or Ayodele should get one as well. If they don't, then we can officially being questioning the "improved pass rush" part of the new scheme. That doesn't mean our D is doomed to failure, but it will suggest that all the "IT WAS ALL TEH SKEEM!!" rhetoric was false.

With that said, I am starting to be impressed by Spencer. He looks 100x better now than early in the preseason, and he has improved every week. You are starting to see his superior physical skills on display more regularly. He is very solidly built, but still have very, very good (though not quite elite) acceleration and burst. He might end up being a really good one. Color me encouraged.
Don't worry. You guys are gonna destroy the Rams. It would be a catastrophic choke if you don't.

The way the offense is playing, this defense just has to be serviceable. Especially with the NFC looking like the crapshoot that it is. Im also very impressed with Spencer. While it pleases me as a Giants fan, Im disappointed in Carpenter so far. I think his development has been somewhat ruined but regardless he should be doing better than he is. I was a big Carpenter fan when he was coming out.

Not surprisingly, Im a huge Cushing fan this year. He's my favorite LB in this upcoming draft, and he's near identical to Carp coming out.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:58 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Don't worry. You guys are gonna destroy the Rams. It would be a catastrophic choke if you don't.

The way the offense is playing, this defense just has to be serviceable. Especially with the NFC looking like the crapshoot that it is. Im also very impressed with Spencer. While it pleases me as a Giants fan, Im disappointed in Carpenter so far. I think his development has been somewhat ruined but regardless he should be doing better than he is. I was a big Carpenter fan when he was coming out.

Not surprisingly, Im a huge Cushing fan this year. He's my favorite LB in this upcoming draft, and he's near identical to Carp coming out.
The problem with Carp is not in him or his talent. He just got overwritten and tossed to the side by the new regime. I don't doubt for one minute that he wouldn't be successful on another team or in a starting role. There's just no where for him to get solid playing time.

Cushing is a stud. I like him better than I liked Carp in college. If you guys get him, I'll be pissed.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:01 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree I love Spencers athleticism, he looks good on the edge opposite Ware, something I was looking for in manny lawson over carpenter...

as far as Carpenter goes, i dont know what his role is on our team yet, I hope he finds it, he's a first rd pick and you want those guys to be making an impact, we should of took Lawson anyway, but we need to just trade him now if he doesnt have a spot for a DB with youth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:19 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I agree I love Spencers athleticism, he looks good on the edge opposite Ware, something I was looking for in manny lawson over carpenter...

as far as Carpenter goes, i dont know what his role is on our team yet, I hope he finds it, he's a first rd pick and you want those guys to be making an impact, we should of took Lawson anyway, but we need to just trade him now if he doesnt have a spot for a DB with youth
With hindsight 20/20, you'd take Lawson?

Shoot... I'd take Maroney or Addai if I had fortune telling glasses. Or heck... Marcus McNeil would've been good too.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:40 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post

Shoot... I'd take Maroney or Addai if I had fortune telling glasses. Or heck... Marcus McNeil would've been good too.
That's the correct answer.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:19 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wade Phillips said that OLB Greg Ellis took a major step toward playing again during today's practice. Ellis participated in all the individual drills, some pass-rush drills and most of the scout-team work.

Phillips said there is an outside shot that Ellis would play this weekend, less than 11 months after rupturing his Achilles tendon. For folks who have grumbled about Ellis' slow rehab, understand that it typically takes at least a full year to come back from that injury.

A quick rundown of other injuries:

Phillips said that at this point he doesn't expect Terence Newman's role to increase against the Rams.

Keith Davis (shoulder) did not practice and will probably sit out Sunday.

Rookie FS Courtney Brown injured his arm during practice, and Phillips didn't know the severity. Brown has been inactive, but he probably would have replaced Davis.

FB Oliver Hoyte (pinched nerve) participated in practice about as much as he did last week. He was inactive against the Bears.

Phillips announced that Rob Carpenter was held out of practice with a quad injury. This was somewhat confusing, since Rob Carpenter was a tailback for the Giants and Bum Phillips' Oilers back in the day. Phillips quickly figured out that he confused father with son and cracked a joke about Rob being deep on the RB depth chart. I'll pass on the easy one-liner about Rob contributing as much to the Cowboys as Bobby.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:24 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

robert_in_bigd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
He just got overwritten and tossed to the side by the new regime. I don't doubt for one minute that he wouldn't be successful on another team or in a starting role.
Which is why when he becomes a FA he leaves to greener pastures for nothing. Talk about not even given a chance and wasting draft picks.

For Chris Sake after dogging him all last season, once Ellis goes down he starts to play and he was the best defender we had in Seattle. Good blitzer, good run support and excellent in coverage.

So instead of letting him mature some more --- draft another OLB who is more a pass rusher than anything else.

Seattle was not an accident. New regime. New set of biases.

This to me just goes to what I am saying about how we put talent together on this team. Just frustrates the hell out of me.
robert_in_bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:25 PM    (permalink
Im_a_Romosexual
Pro Bowler

Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anything we can get for Carpenter? just curious since hes not getting any PT
Im_a_Romosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:27 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post

Assuming OLB with pass rushing skills was the top top priority YEP. Lawson was the best pick but everyone had DWare as being that player in a BP system.

Now you go with a Wade system and you need two OLB who are more pass rush DE than anything else..... so Carpenter gets screwed and Spencer gets drafted.

Uggg. I just puke every time I think about these moves.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:28 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_a_Romosexual View Post
Anything we can get for Carpenter? just curious since hes not getting any PT

He is a "Parcells guy" like Aaron Glenn so I am sure he will be cut.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:31 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The fourth quarter is even more impressive. The Cowboys have scored 48 points in the final 15 minutes that's more points than Buffalo (24), Jacksonville (46), Kansas City (26), Chicago (33), New Orleans (38), Atlanta (30) and – Sunday's opponent – St. Louis (32) have scored in three games.

There is no snark I can add to that. Just flat-out impressive. In the fourth quarter, we’re burying teams with the run.

Against Miami, the Cowboys had 96 rushing yards on 14 carries in the fourth quarter. Against Chicago, the Cowboys had 92 yards on 13 carries in the fourth quarter, not including a 22-yard pickup by Julius Jones that was wiped out by a holding penalty the Cowboys thought was bogus.

got this from
bloggingtheboys.com

Infraction owch

Designs by me
Quote:

Last edited by thule : 09-27-2007 at 05:21 AM.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:33 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_in_bigd View Post
He is a "Parcells guy" like Aaron Glenn so I am sure he will be cut.
Cut the 18th overall pick...I can see it now

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 09-26-2007, 06:37 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont see what you guys see in Carp. He never knows what he's doing, he's slow, he's always getting pushed around. He had one good game but, outside of that he hasnt made a difference in any of the roles he's been playing. He's supposed to be a pass rusher but, he cant get to the QB...He's not good against the run either, he always backs off when ball carriers run toward him. Not the agressive player we though we were getting. I havent completely given up on Carp but, he has not been impressive at all. Parcells couldnt find a way to use him and the new coaching staff seems to be having a hard time as well.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:46 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
I dont see what you guys see in Carp. He never knows what he's doing, he's slow, he's always getting pushed around. He had one good game but, outside of that he hasnt made a difference in any of the roles he's been playing. He's supposed to be a pass rusher but, he cant get to the QB...He's not good against the run either, he always backs off when ball carriers run toward him. Not the agressive player we though we were getting. I havent completely given up on Carp but, he has not been impressive at all. Parcells couldnt find a way to use him and the new coaching staff seems to be having a hard time as well.
He is a great special teamer tho :P

I do really think he needs to see the field more. He still has rookie recognition skills.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 09-26-2007, 06:48 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
He is a great special teamer tho :P

I do really think he needs to see the field more. He still has rookie recognition skills.
That is true...perhaps if we take a large lead on Sunday we'll see some more Carp on D.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 09-26-2007, 06:52 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
That is true...perhaps if we take a large lead on Sunday we'll see some more Carp on D.
He's hurt so maybe not.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 09-26-2007, 06:56 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
He's hurt so maybe not.
Oh yeah, that's right. Oh well.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 09-26-2007, 06:58 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have never been more confused on a player than I am with Carpenter, not even Spears is as perplexing as him. He clearly has the talent. His triangle numbers are terrific. He seems to have good instincts. From all accounts, he's smart and works hard. He just......can't get on the field much, and he doesn't make the dynamic plays that force the coaches to find ways to involve him more. Burnett is even beginning to flash his explosive potential. Carpenter, though.....

*sigh*

It sucks, because that was a draft pick that could have landed us Cromartie, Addai, Maroney, Joseph, Holmes or any number of other top prospects at positions of need. I guess you just have to give it some more time and hope that he eventually forces the coaches to put him on the field in some capacity. I know that, at some point, he will be a valuable starter somewhere in the league. If I was NO, NYG, NYJ, STL, or SD (just to name a few), I would be looking to nab him for cheap (a 3rd rounder would be a steal, and isn't necessarily out of the question).

I really hope that Newman plays more this week than last. The thought of Holt going straight up, head-to-head against Jacques Reeves scares the hell out of me, I don't care about broken ribs or shaky O-lines, that will make you lose sleep.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:01 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

well when you look at it like that yes, but I figured we were trying to get an OLB with pass rushing skills, I saw carpenter as a better 4-3 OLB with good awareness, but not as athletic as lawson, or as fast...now if we take him, this yr with our pick we have more freedom and can go NT, DE, or more importantly DB...and if rushing the qb was what we were going after, we would be incredibly fast and athletic with ware and lawson on the outside, now maybe spencer becomes better then lawson and it all works out in our favor...but im not taking a back, I love Barber and I feel like if we took S Jax, or Addai we would of never gotten to see all this potential

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_in_bigd View Post
Assuming OLB with pass rushing skills was the top top priority YEP. Lawson was the best pick but everyone had DWare as being that player in a BP system.

Now you go with a Wade system and you need two OLB who are more pass rush DE than anything else..... so Carpenter gets screwed and Spencer gets drafted.

Uggg. I just puke every time I think about these moves.

yea that one kinda sucked, but these things happen so often with teams its kind of pointless to get upset at the team...these things even happen with the Ravens who are usually right on the money with their draft picks and developing players but even they get them wrong...

It makes me mad, but I cant obviously expect us to hit on all our draft picks/free agent signings/developing players...

Thing about Carpenter, we can still get value being that he's still developing and young, and we should be able to get something relatively high...we dont even need a player, im sure a team who needs a LB would give up a high 2nd rd pick on him, id take that in a minute, even a 3rd rd would be fine because I doubt we get another 1st rd pick in reverse for the trade...

As far as player for player, they are so tough to do, but id love to go after a young DB who hasnt performed up to expectations thus far...Antrelle Rolle MIGHT, be worth it, just maybe...although he hasnt shown much, he would be in the nickel for us, and it couldnt hurt could it? especially not if he tried him out at FS and he has th frame for it most definately

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Last edited by LonghornsLegend : 09-26-2007 at 09:06 PM.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:59 PM    (permalink
fryman
Rookie

fryman hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
I dont see what you guys see in Carp. He never knows what he's doing, he's slow, he's always getting pushed around.

And all those problems come from two things...overthinking after the snap, or pressing too much to make a play. He has great speed and strength and he does know the defense well. He either is trying to think too much instead of just reacting, or he is trying to do too much. Like I said in the Julius discussion some players when given limited playing time worry too much about making the big play and it hurts them.

Carpenter definitely knows the defensive scheme and what he is supposed to do, I think that is obvious. You don't ask a player that doesn't to make the reads, which Carp does in the nickel.

All Carp needs is game experience to fix this. I have a feeling it is just going to click for him and it will be like night and day all of a sudden. Fans need to have more realistic expectations also. MOST players take a few years to develop, especially on good teams where they are stuck behind vets.
fryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:18 PM    (permalink
dc4life
Rookie

dc4life needs more cowbell.

Carp doesn't get enough playtime. I just can't judge him like that if he doesn't play. He's just in a bad situation right now; being behind vets. During that year, we probably should of taken Manny Lawson to compliment Ware or went ahead with the CB route. It's a shame to see potential being wasted.

Another question arises. If hes that good, does it not translate in practice or something? Surely coaches would give him the green light if he was consistently outperforming one of those vets or even Spencer.
dc4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:20 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

Quote:
Cut the 18th overall pick...I can see it now

On player personnel -- nothing surprises me with this team.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:43 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

All the complaining about Carp is baffling. We're loaded at LB. That is a good thing for a team in the 3-4. At the same time we're crying about lack of depth at CB since Newman got hurt. What if the tables were turned and Newman was healthy and any one of our LBs went down? Carp steps right in and there's no complaining. You guys have to see the value in that.

Don't complain about "yeah but he was a 1st rounder"... so what? You all want to spend a first rounder on CB!

I swear, the logic and attitude around here is sulky.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:50 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

Quote:
All the complaining about Carp is baffling. We're loaded at LB. That is a good thing for a team in the 3-4. At the same time we're crying about lack of depth at CB since Newman got hurt. What if the tables were turned and Newman was healthy and any one of our LBs went down? Carp steps right in and there's no complaining. You guys have to see the value in that.

Don't complain about "yeah but he was a 1st rounder"... so what? You all want to spend a first rounder on CB!

I swear, the logic and attitude around here is sulky.
D, first, second and third rounders should be starting.

Nice to have a quality back-up but the real issue is you used a valuable option and valuable cap room for a back-up when those same resources could have been used elsewhere.