Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 10-02-2007, 11:26 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

No one can cover Moss 1 on 1. He's showing that he is everything that he was on the Vikings when he was considered the best WR in the league.

This game will be won or lost depending on our pressure and ball control. We need constant pressure on Brady, if he gets time, he will pick us apart, He's done it year in and year out with no name WR's. When romo is on the field he needs to control the clock. 3rd down conversions will be the story of this game. If we get it done on 3rd down like we have done so far this season, we will have a chance.

They are a smarter team than us, but I do agree with robert when talking about our athleticism being superior to theirs.

Getting T.O. matched up on the nickleback (Merriweather?) is something Garret will need to do all game and Witten will probably have to have his biggest game of the season.

It's going to be a nuts game, but if we could pull it out, it would be huge. I expect us finishing anywhere from 12-4 to 14-2.

and we beat GB this year.

Lets get by buffalo first though, they have a great returner in Parrish, a deep threat waiting to get loose in Evans, and an up and comer in Lynch.

Last edited by Burns336 : 10-02-2007 at 11:28 PM.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:28 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
No one else on our team can cover him either. Guy's just a freak.
I think that if we play a lot of defensive packages that feature 3 safeties in the secondary (Roy, Hamlin and Watkins) with Watkins spying Moss all over the field, then we could have a good chance at preventing Moss from being successful against us. Watkins has the size and jumping ability to match Moss.

I don't fear the running game with a banged up Maroney and Sammy Morris.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:35 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

So far Barber has been the better back out of Minn. Maroney may have more potential because of his speed and quickness, but so far he hasn't outplayed Barber. Agree with D-unit that the run isnt that scary.

There is a reason Moss is still tearing teams up even when they know he is getting the ball though. It's going to take newman at close to 100% and good safety help if we actually hope to shut him down.... A better option is too just keep him off the field.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:15 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

looks like we wont even have Henry for the game, be nice to actually have both our corners for once fully healthy :( oh well, better for the playoffs then these games now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:09 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I for one, am nervous about the Pat game. They look really tough.

To get pressure, we will have to blitz. I just dont see Brady having a lot of trouble picking it up. If we could get pressure without blitzing extra people, that would be one thing.

Moss has always scared me. But then again, they are probably worried about TO!!!

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:40 AM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

robert_in_bigd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Burnsie,

Our Front 7 D versus their OL should be a mistmatch. New England has built that OL to match up versus Indy/Pittsburgh, etc. Teams that are fast and you need smart, tough mobile OL to match them .... This is BTW the BP/BB template for OL.

Teams with physical and brutally tough Front 7 tend to give the Patriots Otrouble. Only so much smart and tough do when you are getting beaten up.

On the O, we have a very good mauling type line. Our OL is leading the league in creating injuries. The Pats are old in the front seven and are missing Seymour in the rotation. Funny enuff Pats are used to mauling other teams with their Front 7 D. They can't maul us. Loser's game for Belichick if he thinks they can out physical us.

Not saying we run up 500 yards but we can score versus that team and move the ball. They won't get pressure without big blitzing. Vrabel, Warren, Wilfork, etc can not out physical our guys. Wilfork will not collapse the pocket as he usually does. He can not push Gurode or BIGG. Koseir may need some help if Wilfork shades to his gap. Vrabel will not get around Colombo.

Big blitzing is something they do not like to do because it gets them out of the Cover 2 shell. But they will need to commit 5-6 guys to rush if they expect to get to Romo and hope the underneath routes don't hurt them.

I see us tossing lots of short routes early on. TO, our RB and the Second TE doing lots of underneath. Use Witten and the second WR to threaten the safeties (I would even start the game with Austin for this reason -- someone who can get up on the safeties fast in the 15-20 yard range).

Even if we get few points the goal is lots of first downs, lots of snaps -- we frustrate their pass rushers and make them expend energy in the front 7. Then start mixing in run towards the late second quarter and start stretching the field vertically.

We need to make the D work and that does not always mean score lots of points.

On D, I think we do need to blitz and hit Brady. We also need to hit Moss. Take the penalties if you must on your side of the field but be brutal. Do a Wilfork to Losman thing on Brady.

My goal would be to get them so worried about our 260 lb and 310 lb DEs hit their QB and some crazed head hunting safety taking cheap shots at Randy. Think Raiders 1970s. It was also what San Diego did last year. Brady was running for his life that game.

On the DB side I know Moss does not like contact -- most gifted WR ever but also the biggest pooh-say in relation to talent. But if we shade Hamlin over him and get on gratuitous shot to the head, it is over for Randy. He stops playing .....The rest of their WR are secondary players and they need to be brutalized also but no special attention required. Just make sure WIlliams is playing within 10 yards of the LOS as a LB.

So key on D is to brutally hit them so hard they shy away from contact. Which can be done when your OL is not like ours.

Last edited by robert_in_bigd : 10-03-2007 at 10:43 AM.
robert_in_bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:46 AM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I think that if we play a lot of defensive packages that feature 3 safeties in the secondary (Roy, Hamlin and Watkins) with Watkins spying Moss all over the field, then we could have a good chance at preventing Moss from being successful against us. Watkins has the size and jumping ability to match Moss.

I don't fear the running game with a banged up Maroney and Sammy Morris.
I proposed this earlier but I think Hamlin is a bigger hitter than Watkins.

My goal is not break up the passes with Watkins. My goal is smash Randy's head as he is running an in or fade, take the 15 yards, and plant the seed of doubt in his brain.

When I played guys like Randy (if you can catch him) would get the royal 1st quarter shot. As brutal as possible. No knees, no spine. But try to knock him out. Even to the point of asking the CB to hold him up.

Once you lay that wood, the player is not the same for a few weeks.

I am Jerrah, I tell Hamlin ... contract extension if Moss is "limited" to running tenuous routes.

Last edited by robert_in_bigd : 10-03-2007 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:43 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hamlin has been laying the pipe harder then Roy this year, I love it...that hit he put on Holt on that deep route was sick, right in the grill...But I agree we need watkins to step up also in this game, and play a little bit of centerfield...

I think we should worry about Welker, I think they will try to hit him with quick routes to start the game until we slowly inch up and open up things for Moss

Quote:
Old 10-03-2007, 03:04 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some stats for ya
Quote:
The league ranks all 32 teams in 34 statistical categories. The Cowboys are in the upper half of the rankings in a staggering 27 of them. There are only four in which they are in the bottom 10, and all relate to special teams. Here those are:

KICKOFF RETURN AVERAGE: Dallas ranks 31st, at a 19.8-yard return clip. Tyson Thompson has handled nine of the team's 13 kickoff returns, taking them back for 204 yards (22.7-yard average.) Trouble with this number is that, with the team yielding just 17 points in the last two games, the chances for this return team to improve have been sparse. In those contests, the team has returned just three kicks (one went out of bounds, and another went for a touchback.)

PUNT RETURN COVERAGE: The Cowboys are 28th, allowing an unsettling 16.2 yards per runback. Of course, these numbers are skewed by Dante Hall's 85-yarder on Sunday. Take that one away, and the team has allowed 77 return yards on nine runbacks, for a much more reasonable 8.6-yard average.

GROSS PUNTING AVERAGE AGAINST: The Cowboys rank dead last, 32nd, here. Basically, it means three things. First, it's that the team has faced quality punters who are responsible for the 49.6-yard number. Second, it could mean the team isn't generating much heat on said punters. But the third point could actually be a positive: Teams aren't gaining field position on Dallas, so shorter, directional, coffin-corner-type kicks haven't been called on for the opposition.

NET PUNTING AVERAGE AGAINST: This is a result of the above number. And it further illustrates how good opposing punters have been against the Cowboys, considering that Dallas ranks sixth in punt return average.
from
http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:13 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
Some stats for ya

from
http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/
eww...

Pretty evident that out ST units could use a bit of an upgrade.

Atleast, we're set at kicker/punter...that's a plus atleast.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:14 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

I mentioned the ST thing earlier to Pocketaces. I think he called me an idiot of something.
robert_in_bigd
Veteran
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cowboy Thoughts from Today (Season)
1) Romo looks like league MVP so far. (Still hate those back foot passes, skipped pass and INT as example from today.)
2) If we get Ellis and Tank here -- we may have a great pass rush.
3) Still not sold on our Run D. We have been ahead by so many point hard to eval too critically.
4) Our Kick-Off and Punt coverage has been a little weak. Today is showed

Last edited by robert_in_bigd : 10-03-2007 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:15 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sammy Hurd cant do it all...he's always the first one down there...I love it...but, he cant do it alone.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 10-03-2007, 03:23 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

On coverage... Keith Davis and Carp are both out. Don't freak out.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:25 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward View Post
Carp was playing...he is hurting, though.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 10-03-2007, 03:30 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Carp was playing...he is hurting, though.
With a tear in his quad... he shouldn't be on the field.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:35 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
With a tear in his quad... he shouldn't be on the field.
I agree...def. risky.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 10-03-2007, 10:03 PM    (permalink
fryman
Rookie

fryman hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
we were bad all last year on ST coverage. I don't see what has improved.
fryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:04 PM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryman View Post
we were bad all last year on ST coverage. I don't see what has improved.
Really? Can't say I saw that. Got any stats?
Old 10-03-2007, 10:05 PM    (permalink
dc4life
Rookie

dc4life needs more cowbell.

Our ST (on Kickoffs/Punts) makes me cringe. I was shocked to see how well we did against Hester though.
dc4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:15 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc4life View Post
Our ST (on Kickoffs/Punts) makes me cringe. I was shocked to see how well we did against Hester though.
Wade publicly suggesting avoiding Hester altogether may have lit a fire under our coverage team that week. Even though I think Wade was joking, either way that was great performance. Amazing what a shot at the ego to a bunch of alpha males can do.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:31 PM    (permalink
fryman
Rookie

fryman hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_in_bigd View Post
Really? Can't say I saw that. Got any stats?
no just remember bitching about it all last year. Come to think of it, it may have just been punt coverage though. Punt coverage was definitely bad though.
fryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 06:43 AM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here it comes! The first highlight reel of the year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uAzf3IAbME

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:02 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

I dont even think Ricky will be moved if he gets reinstated but, the rumors are aleady starting. Trade deadline is in two weeks...and we will have a vacany at RB next season...The Cowboys are one of the rumored teams interested in aquiring the former Texas Icon. I dont really buy it.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 10-04-2007, 09:09 AM    (permalink
robert_in_bigd
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryman View Post
no just remember bitching about it all last year. Come to think of it, it may have just been punt coverage though. Punt coverage was definitely bad though.
Don't remember too much but I do remember a few McBriar punts that got a little too far downfield and we gave up some big run backs.

Still, they look substantively worse this year on Punt and Kickoff.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:20 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
I dont even think Ricky will be moved if he gets reinstated but, the rumors are aleady starting. Trade deadline is in two weeks...and we will have a vacany at RB next season...The Cowboys are one of the rumored teams interested in aquiring the former Texas Icon. I dont really buy it.
Wow, that move would be kinda pointless and I wouldnt want us to do it...we are going to have lots of other vacancies other then Rb, and id rather us have a signing towards the secondary or d line

Quote: