Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 11-24-2007, 04:47 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Question: If Brown is who you think he is, do we need to spend a first rounder on a CB? I know my answer. I'll listen to others first.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 04:53 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Glad to see Jdallas bring up Brown.

I've been extremely impressed by him. He has been active for every game this year when he has been healthy. He is an excellent gunner. He also can play every special teams unit.

I remember when I was at the minnesota game he was really one of the players i came away impressed with. He looks the part. Like I said...has a body type very similar to Anthony Henry. I actually like him as a SS in this league. Which is the position he plays. Thats why when he and Davis went down it was a big hit for the depth. But in two years I really think this kid has the ability to be an above average NFL starter. Now I'm not crowning him...but I think with 2 years with solid progession we might have our selves a good player...but outside of what we see we can just see his special teams contribution. With his measureables and style of play I'd really like to see him be the lead blocker in Kickoff Return. Because lets face it Nate Jones might not be here next year...and noone knows how the organiztion feels about Austin....so I'd really like to see Brown contribute there.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 04:58 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm thinking Brown will end up being a corner down the line...as for D's question...yes, we still need to use a 1st rounder on a corner...unless of course we unload all our picks for Mcfadden...which is unlikely.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 04:59 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Question: If Brown is who you think he is, do we need to spend a first rounder on a CB? I know my answer. I'll listen to others first.
No Brown is a Safety. I don't think he has the hips needed. Granted I haven't seen him play a lot...but what other reason would a organization have to more a corner to safety...when we had great depth at the S position...and our #3 corner was up for grabs...that to me speaks volumes about what we saw from him. Now maybe his hips are adaquet in coverage but he was just to raw technique wise...now if that is the case maybe....but if that is the case I don't think you switch positions with him .

So no...you draft yourself a top tier CB.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 11-24-2007, 05:04 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After Brown made the move...Wade said, Safety was Brown's best shot at making the team this season. He did say if Brown made the team he could see a move back to corner later on. I think Wade had a pretty good idea who was making the team before these guys even started playing...Look at Joey Thomas, he was the third best corner on this team in the pre season but, he still got cut and Elam played his ass off and he got the ax. Safety gave Brown a better chance to actually see the field a little...I think Wade felt content w/ his corners at the time and was just looking for a way to get Brown a roster spot. I still think Brown has corner in his future.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 11-24-2007 at 05:11 PM.
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 05:08 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Well, if he can be a "Marlin Jackson" type -- FS who can move to CB that is very nice indeed.

But he looks like a FS to me. Big, fast, has some ball skills.

**Thule, SS are generally slower and bigger to start. Plus more agressive at the LOS. Tend to play intermediate in zone. Cover TE as we always talk about. FS play more centerfield and are usually faster with better hip roll. Brown is not know for his tackling or aggressiveness plus play corner in college and had a few INTs. So ....

Last edited by cowboysforever : 11-24-2007 at 05:28 PM.
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 05:11 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever View Post
Well, if he can be a "Marlin Jackson" type -- FS who can move to CB that is very nice indeed.

But he looks like a FS to me. Big, fast, has some ball skills.
What makes him a FS over a SS.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 11-24-2007, 05:25 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
What makes him a FS over a SS.
What makes him a SS over a FS? (????)

Last edited by cowboysforever : 11-24-2007 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:41 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
What makes him a SS over a FS? (????)
It is where he is on the depth chart. He would have been the backup SS if he wasn't hurt when Davis went down.....coaches are far smarter than the general fans give them credit for. So if he is playing SS in practice I'm pretty sure he is over there for a reason.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 11-24-2007, 05:53 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
It is where he is on the depth chart. He would have been the backup SS if he wasn't hurt when Davis went down.....coaches are far smarter than the general fans give them credit for. So if he is playing SS in practice I'm pretty sure he is over there for a reason.
Well, FWIW, SS is easier to play than FS in Cover 1 system. So I can easily see coaches putting him there to help him succeed and not necessarily b/c his athletics are best suited for it.

But whatever, with his speed, ex-CB play, decent hands, and sub-optimal hip roll make FS look like the place to be after he learns how to play safety in the NFL. (** If has better suddeness and can back pedal nicely maybe he may end up CB after all-- who knows but you need 4 nowadays**)

Either way, I perceive SS and FS are have become less specialized as team spread you out with 3/4/5 receiver sets. All Safeties need to cover. Period. Al Safeties need to be able to tackle. All Safeties need to be able to be aggreesive at the LOS.

And with respect to coaches "knowing better" -- er uh, not always. Evaluating talent and where it should can be very very very random and PREJUDICES and BIASES change outcomes.

Gallery at LT v Gallery a LG. Bigg at LT versus RG. Too many examples to got through.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:43 PM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He is very very likely the smartest player on the team. Engineering from California Polytechnic.... uh, yeah.
Is that ironic? Because I don't know how good this school could be or even what you americans intend for "polytechnic"...

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 07:23 PM    (permalink
fryman
Rookie

fryman hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
Look at Joey Thomas, he was the third best corner on this team in the pre season but, he still got cut
He made a few nice plays, but for every good play he had 2 or 3 dumb mistakes.

physically he had a leg up on almost everybody, but guys like Jones are a lot more consistent and smarter players. Then he didn't have special teams value of guys like Jones. That is all it came down too, the coaching staff definitely gave everybody a fair shot.
fryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 09:54 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Abram Elam got cut and he is a starter for the Jets.

Getting cut by a team is not always a horrid thing when you are a young player who needs reps.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:45 AM    (permalink
chrlopez1
Veteran

chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Brown is going to be one of our Safeties next year. Keith Adams is a free agent and he wants too start and he deserved too. He is one player I hope goes to a team that we don't play that much. Brown will be one of our 3-4 safeties.....Jacque Reeves might be gone also and Nate Jones might also be gone.They are good players, but like Coach Johnson used to say..use have to turn over the last 15 players on the team every few years. I think we are definately going DB in Round 1. We have too.....We will have

Newman
Henry
Nate Jones FA
J. Reeves FA
Obislby FA?

Adams FA
Hamlin FA

We at least need insurance at CB and we still have Butler and Ball on the practice squad.

Definately DB and RB in day one......2 out of our 3 picks will come from this area...and I do think we will sign Crayton...........
chrlopez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 03:52 AM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

I think everyone is putting far too much stock into Brown at this point. He was taken where he was taken in the draft for a reason. He was moved to a new position for a reason. and Keith Davis was in the game playing coverage against the Jets over him for a reason.... If you can't beat out Keith Davis, im not sure how much potential you are actually showing. Maybe he is a great special teams guy, but up to this point it's only wishful thinking to say he is going to start on this team....

What has he actually even done? Made a tackle in a guys face and recovered Burnetts FF over the past 2 games? He was invisible up to this point of the season and still hasn't played any coverage so how does anyone know if he is going to be good?

If we're going off special teams play, Keith Davis should be starting. He does a hell of alot better than Roy on special teams, but believe it or not Roy is a better safety. 2 very different things that we're talking about here.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 07:09 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano View Post
Is that ironic? Because I don't know how good this school could be or even what you americans intend for "polytechnic"...

What is "ironic" are the volume of opinions on non-American has about America's team... now that is ironic.

Cal Poly is excellent btw and the US has the best engineering schools in the world -- only IIT System in India can even come close.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:22 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
What is "ironic" are the volume of opinions on non-American has about America's team... now that is ironic.

Cal Poly is excellent btw and the US has the best engineering schools in the world -- only IIT System in India can even come close.
What are you getting at? That people outside of the US shouldn't be allowed to root for the Cowboys, solely because they have the nickname "America's Team?" Geesh, I really didn't think nicknames were that big a deal. And it seems that what our "non-American" friend was implying was that polytechnic has a different connotation where he is from than it does here in the US. There's no need to be so aggressive about it.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:52 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think we're being way to quick to declare what type of player Brown is. It's too early to say.

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:40 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So what's up with Alan Ball? Did he follow EJ Whitney quietly out the door?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:44 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It was Whitley. And I guess so...

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:48 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I never thought much of Ball, way to skinny and wasn't really impressed by anything he did in the preseason.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:50 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

Ball is on the practice squad.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:35 AM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ888 View Post
What are you getting at? That people outside of the US shouldn't be allowed to root for the Cowboys, solely because they have the nickname "America's Team?" Geesh, I really didn't think nicknames were that big a deal. And it seems that what our "non-American" friend was implying was that polytechnic has a different connotation where he is from than it does here in the US. There's no need to be so aggressive about it.
Thank you... And there aren't universities called "polytechnics" here...

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:22 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

from what Ive seen from Brown, he surely hasnt swayed me from wanting Mike Jenkins in the first rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:29 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ888 View Post
Um, first I am not the one always repeating "I am not an American." Kind of like the guy who walks around saying "I am not gaayuh**." You ask yourself what is that all about in context to the conversation at hand.

Brown has a great degree from a great school. The comments posted call this into question. Again, for a proud "non-American" what is that all about?? What exactly are you trying to say? Beats me but what I can say is .....

I think it is IRONIC that a non-American would be chatting the most American Game (Football) with respect to the America's Team in combination with commenting on an "American School."

It is most certainly ironic if you ask me.