Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 11-26-2007, 11:31 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
from what Ive seen from Brown, he surely hasnt swayed me from wanting Mike Jenkins in the first rd
I agree. In today's NFL too much DB depth happens to be an oxy moron.
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:03 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever View Post
Um, first I am not the one always repeating "I am not an American." Kind of like the guy who walks around saying "I am not gaayuh**." You ask yourself what is that all about in context to the conversation at hand.

Brown has a great degree from a great school. The comments posted call this into question. Again, for a proud "non-American" what is that all about?? What exactly are you trying to say? Beats me but what I can say is .....

I think it is IRONIC that a non-American would be chatting the most American Game (Football) with respect to the America's Team in combination with commenting on an "American School."

It is most certainly ironic if you ask me.
Are you kidding? Modano was simply stating that he didn't understand the American use of the word polytechnic as it applies to universities. He says that he's not an American not because he's trying to hide the truth (as your simile implies) but because he's stating a fact that would help us understand his point of view.

He calls Brown's degree into question because in Europe there are no "polytechnic" universities. Therefore, he believes that a "polytechnic" degree is something that is not as highly valued as a "regular" university degree. Furthermore, since he is not from America, he does not know our university system as well as we do, and therefore does not know that a degree from Cal-Poly is a prestigeous degree.

And since when do "non-Americans" not have a right to discuss "America's game?" America's game is simply a nickname, as is America's team. In case you didn't notice, however, there is an "American Football" league in Europe, and very recently, the NFL actually played its first regular season game in London. The league has also played games in Mexico, and there is even talk about having teams in Canada. Our "non-American" friend has just as much right to talk about "American Football" as you do. In fact, he even has the right to discuss American colleges, or, as the case may be, ask questions about them.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:17 PM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ888 View Post
Are you kidding? Modano was simply stating that he didn't understand the American use of the word polytechnic as it applies to universities. He says that he's not an American not because he's trying to hide the truth (as your simile implies) but because he's stating a fact that would help us understand his point of view.

He calls Brown's degree into question because in Europe there are no "polytechnic" universities. Therefore, he believes that a "polytechnic" degree is something that is not as highly valued as a "regular" university degree. Furthermore, since he is not from America, he does not know our university system as well as we do, and therefore does not know that a degree from Cal-Poly is a prestigeous degree.

And since when do "non-Americans" not have a right to discuss "America's game?" America's game is simply a nickname, as is America's team. In case you didn't notice, however, there is an "American Football" league in Europe, and very recently, the NFL actually played its first regular season game in London. The league has also played games in Mexico, and there is even talk about having teams in Canada. Our "non-American" friend has just as much right to talk about "American Football" as you do. In fact, he even has the right to discuss American colleges, or, as the case may be, ask questions about them.

Well said! Positive rep.
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:40 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

+ Rep Trips. Geez... some guys just don't get it, do they...
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 02:45 PM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Um, first I am not the one always repeating "I am not an American." Kind of like the guy who walks around saying "I am not gaayuh**." You ask yourself what is that all about in context to the conversation at hand.

Brown has a great degree from a great school. The comments posted call this into question. Again, for a proud "non-American" what is that all about?? What exactly are you trying to say? Beats me but what I can say is .....

I think it is IRONIC that a non-American would be chatting the most American Game (Football) with respect to the America's Team in combination with commenting on an "American School."

It is most certainly ironic if you ask me.
Robert, really, are you kidding me? I'm not a proud "non american", and I told you that I wasn't american only when you said me "happy thanksgiving"...
Maybe I'm a proud italian (I don't want to get into this), but for sure I'm not one of the many un-american europeans. Actually I'm the opposite.
I was just asking if you were ironic because I didn't know what type of school could "Cal Poly" be. And I asked because you tend to be ironic on your posts...
And actually not only I love the USA and I've studied a lot of american history and literature, but -if everything goes right- I'm going to finish my studies in an american school. And I've talked about this thing with many guys on this forum...

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 04:08 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Originally Posted by cowboysforever
He is very very likely the smartest player on the team. Engineering from California Polytechnic.... uh, yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano View Post
Because I don't know how good this school could be or even what you americans intend for "polytechnic"...
Really? Not sure how good .... a simple Google search for the non-American in me ......

http://www.calpolynews.calpoly.edu/n..._rankings.html

This year, Cal Poly’s College of Engineering was named the No. 1 public engineering program in the nation in the magazine's Best Undergraduate Engineering Programs - for schools whose highest degree is a bachelor's or master's.

A number of College of Engineering programs also ranked high in the Best Undergraduate Engineering Programs in their individual specialty categories. Cal Poly's computer, electrical, industrial/manufacturing and mechanical engineering programs were each ranked as the top program at a public university in their respective specialty categories. Other engineering programs that ranked well are civil and aerospace at No. 2.

And with respect to Polytechnic in names of schools it is common world round so to claim ignorance and thinkit believable is a bit much .....

Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
Universidad Politécnica de San Luis Potosi
Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
Universidad Politécnica de Valencia
Università politecnica delle Marche

......... I could go on an on. Plenty of Polytechnical Universities in the World in every country with a University System.

Again, it is very IRONIC that a non-American would have so many opinions about something so American and then make dubious claims of ignorance of America. But yes, Brown went to an excellent school Modano. Take my word for it. I am 100% American.

JJJ888, Finchase, and D-Unit -- frankly I have no idea what you are talking about. Your response to my post was odd and off the mark. Modano can write what he wants. It is also ironic that someone who claims to be so ignorant on America would be so well versed in Cowboy football. If that is not ironic then go to www.dictionary.com

Cowboys 35 - Packers 24.

Last edited by cowboysforever : 11-26-2007 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:25 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
He is very very likely the smartest player on the team. Engineering from California Polytechnic.... uh, yeah.

Really? Not sure how good .... a simple Google search for the non-American in me ......

http://www.calpolynews.calpoly.edu/n..._rankings.html

This year, Cal Poly’s College of Engineering was named the No. 1 public engineering program in the nation in the magazine's Best Undergraduate Engineering Programs - for schools whose highest degree is a bachelor's or master's.

A number of College of Engineering programs also ranked high in the Best Undergraduate Engineering Programs in their individual specialty categories. Cal Poly's computer, electrical, industrial/manufacturing and mechanical engineering programs were each ranked as the top program at a public university in their respective specialty categories. Other engineering programs that ranked well are civil and aerospace at No. 2.

And with respect to Polytechnic in names of schools it is common world round so to claim ignorance and thinkit believable is a bit much .....

......... I could go on an on. Plenty of Polytechnical Universities in the World in every country with a University System.

Again, it is very IRONIC that a non-American would have so many opinions about something so American and then make dubious claims of ignorance of America. But yes, Brown went to an excellent school Modano. Take my word for it. I am 100% American.

JJJ888, Finchase, and D-Unit -- frankly I have no idea what you are talking about. Your response to my post was odd and off the mark. Modano can write what he wants. It is also ironic that someone who claims to be so ignorant on America would be so well versed in Cowboy football. If that is not ironic then go to www.dictionary.com

Cowboys 35 - Packers 24.
Again, you show your unwillingness to understand other's points of view.

1. Do you really think that someone, participating in a discussion on a football player, would really care that much that he would actually go and do a Google search on the prestige of a school? Or he could just ask his "friends" who usually would willingly provide him with a simple answer and not be confrontational about it or assault him for the fact that he is not "like" everyone else.

2. Just because there are a number of polytechnic institutes around the world doesn't mean that they are necessarily prestigious or well recognized. Clearly I am no expert on the subject, but doing a google search like you suggested, showed me that Politecnico di Milano has a number of different campuses. Modano could know the University by a number of other names. Furthermore, for Modano to say whether Cal-Poly is a good school is like you saying whether the Universite de Sciences et Technologie de Lille 1 (a European school of comparable size) in France is a good school.

3. The root of the matter is that you responded in a manner inappropriate to the question. Instead of kindly informing someone of less knowledge than you regarding the American University system, you turned his question around and attacked him for being an outsider on an "American Football" forum. In no way did he provoke that response. And yes, I even do understand your point that a foreigner following an "American" game is ironic; you might want to consider, however, that the game really is not so American anymore--there are a number of Canadians, as well as Europeans, on this forum. In fact, one of our first moderators was a Canadian. Clearly Modano understands football, because that is what he cares about in American culture. To understand football, it is not necessary to understand the US university system.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:43 PM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Only one of those is in Italy... And the word "politecnico" in Italy is usually referred not to a school, but to a center of researches.

Quote:
Again, it is very IRONIC that a non-American would have so many opinions about something so American and then make dubious claims of ignorance of America.
Really, you're saying that because I didn't know if Cal-Poly was or not a good school or in America what you intend for polytechnic?
I am "so ignorant of America" because I don't know that?

In Bob We Trust

Old 11-26-2007, 07:51 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd prefer if this discussion went to PMs and everybody got back to talking about the Cowboys. I'm predicting Jason Witten goes off in this game.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:54 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
........ you responded in a manner inappropriate to the question. ......... .
Great, I am wrong.

It is not ironic at all that a non-America would root for America's Team or question an academic institution in America. Also, the word ironic in a sentence is insulting to some and inappropriate to others.

Thanks!!!!!! Happy holidays.

What perplexes me is Modano was contradicting my assertion Cal Poly is a good school for the sole purpose of questioning me, or some guy he thinks I am, on my assertion that Courtney Bown MAYBE the smartest Cowboy. I did not think the position whatsoever controversial but in fact flattering.

But using ironic to describe seemingly obvious facts is bad. Baffling.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:13 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thoughts on Tank Johnson after Thursday's game?
Old 11-26-2007, 08:17 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Still needs a little more work. Although I didn't expect much right off the bat, he did lift expectations a little with a sack in the first game, even if he didn't play all that well.

Im still hoping he pans out but at this point it looks like Ratliff is still the best NT on this team with Fergy out. It's really to early to say. By the time playoffs roll around I think we should have a pretty good estimation of what sort of impact he can have on this D-line.

I'd like to give him 2 or 3 more games before making any concrete statements about the guy.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:48 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
Still needs a little more work. Although I didn't expect much right off the bat, he did lift expectations a little with a sack in the first game, even if he didn't play all that well.

Im still hoping he pans out but at this point it looks like Ratliff is still the best NT on this team with Fergy out. It's really to early to say. By the time playoffs roll around I think we should have a pretty good estimation of what sort of impact he can have on this D-line.

I'd like to give him 2 or 3 more games before making any concrete statements about the guy.
Still hard to say... He had what??? 6 snaps?
Old 11-26-2007, 09:10 PM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Jdallas hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
He didn't ever stand out to me as having any bad plays so that's a first. I noticed on the pass rush he uses the same spin move he used to take down Manning a lot. Other than that I'm not sure if he's playing enough for me to notice too much more, but if he can play without the defense missing too much I'm all for giving Ratliff a breather.

Desings by D-Unit
Jdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:10 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's still nice just having a body there. Of course I hope he improves, but just Ratliff and Bowen is scary stuff.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:07 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

In most systems, if a nose tackle doesn't stand out too much, that's a good thing...his job is not to be generating pressure on each play (yes, even in Wade Phillips system), but to be stuffing the run. As far as I could tell, Johnson did a fair job with that.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:25 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have to say our defensive line as whole has played very well the past few weeks. Which makes me very happy, as I thought it was one of our major weaknesses coming in to the season. And also major props to Canty who has really become a consistent force for us as of late.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:33 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward View Post
I'd prefer if this discussion went to PMs and everybody got back to talking about the Cowboys. I'm predicting Jason Witten goes off in this game.
That's a pretty safe bet. If there's one thing the Packers have had problems with on defense it's containing the tight end. We've taken care of average players, but against top TEs such as Gonzalez and Gates they've killed us. Witten is just behind those two so I'd expect the same outcome.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:34 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

I think with Tank we need to wait to next training camp and hope he helps some now.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:42 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I must be the only Tank hater here...and I'm not a hater by any means...but he is nothing but another body to me. He gets pushed out of position way too much...he even talked about it when being rusty in his interview after the game...he is a big reason our run defense gets bad....I was hoping this would be his strong point....lets just say I'd love to be shown up.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:24 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
I must be the only Tank hater here...and I'm not a hater by any means...but he is nothing but another body to me. He gets pushed out of position way too much...he even talked about it when being rusty in his interview after the game...he is a big reason our run defense gets bad....I was hoping this would be his strong point....lets just say I'd love to be shown up.
He needs to get much stronger it seems and play lower. Seems easily push around when doubled.

At 6'3, if he is commited, he can get to to 320 w/o any loss of quickness. The guy looks thin. Also at 25 he will tend to get thicker in his core.

He can then split snaps with Fergie next year. Nice rotation if you ask me.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:50 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

I need to focus on him more... Seems like when I try to look for him, he's not even in the game. I know for a fact that I'm his biggest fan here and I'm not about to throw in the towel now. He can be THE guy and when it happens, I'll be happy I supported him the whole time.

Modano, I know you collect film... since you made those highlights of Ware and Barber on Youtube... Do you think you could find some film of Tank and post it on Youtube? Or anyone else who has tape? That would be so sweet.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:05 PM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Quote:

Modano, I know you collect film... since you made those highlights of Ware and Barber on Youtube... Do you think you could find some film of Tank and post it on Youtube? Or anyone else who has tape? That would be so sweet.
I'll do it, but it will take some time...

In Bob We Trust

Old 11-27-2007, 04:46 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
I love your videos, we should have a thread in here that you update with links to them. We can just keep it running and keep adding to it as new things come to you.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:02 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Thanks man! Appreciate it. A LOT! Luckily there is only 3 games to look at. Giants, Skins, Jets..