Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-22-2008, 02:39 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
thank god!!! if we can come away with Miami's 2nd rd pick, or some players from detroit im all for it, that miami pick is basically a late 1st, and maybe we could get rogers and roy in some type of a package...

good thing is we are trying to trade them, that just made my day
It did didn't it! :D
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:02 PM    (permalink
Bills2083
All-Pro

Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Many Bills fans on the MB are interested in Carpenter.
Do you think he'll fit in the cover-2?
What round draft pick would you want for him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy
my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
Quote:
But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons
Bills2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:04 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Detroit runs a 4-3 don't they? Carp and Spears would both benefit from playing in a 4-3 scheme. Carp even more so than Spears.

I wish we would look into the idea of Rogers. Ever since D brought it up, I can't get it off of my mind. But I feel like a deal for Roy Williams is more likely.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:07 PM    (permalink
Bills2083
All-Pro

Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
Detroit runs a 4-3 don't they? Carp and Spears would both benefit from playing in a 4-3 scheme. Carp even more so than Spears.

I wish we would look into the idea of Rogers. Ever since D brought it up, I can't get it off of my mind. But I feel like a deal for Roy Williams is more likely.
I could've swore that they run a 3-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy
my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
Quote:
But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons
Bills2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:08 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills2083 View Post
Many Bills fans on the MB are interested in Carpenter.
Do you think he'll fit in the cover-2?
What round draft pick would you want for him?
I think he would fit well in a cover-2 scheme. Really any 4-3 base front would suit him much better than any 3-4 scheme.

Not sure on the draft pick though. The argument could be made that he is just a square peg trying to fit in a triangular hole in Dallas and his talent is still first round grade. Now I know we would never get a first rounder for him, and an early-mid 2nd is a bit of a reach for teams to dish out for an unproven commodity. Maybe a late second, early 3rd? I would like to get more for the guy, but without him showing much as a cowboy Im not sure if its possible.

Personally I'd rather package him and look for a player in return instead of a draft pick.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:13 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If solely a draft pick no later then a 3rd, doubt anyone gives up an early 2nd straight up, but if a team comes off a 3rd and needs a lb its worth the risk for them, and could become a steal for somebody...i think we almost have to throw spears in the deal with Carpenter because Spears isnt worth crap and could be cut, but seeing how solid he is against the run at least, he could be stout in a 4-3 as well and be servicable

Carpenter is going to be a solid LB when he gets someplace that needs him, I really think so, if I were him id want to be traded as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:43 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Great news! Thanks for posting it.

It's all basically in line with what I've been thinking and hoping would happen (Carp/Spears). Except for the bringing back of Ferguson. I still think he'll get cut. Been saying Glenn's career is over barring a miracle. MOTH thinks Glenn will return though and has been arguing the point that we don't need a WR. So I wonder if he changes his mind now.
Well, I was saying Glenn was coming back if he didnt need surgery...All reports indicated that he was getting stronger every week and he wouldnt need further surgery. He even went as far as saying that he would be back next season. As for them saying he needs surgery...that is false...TG has still yet to tell anyone that he needs surgery so, they are jumping the gun a bit there. He wont even meet w/ JJ until later in the week. It could go either way at this point.

As for what we do at the position...I could see that going either way also...I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it wasnt addressed...but, given JJ's comments about bringing in some more offensive fire power...we might bring in another this off-season...this would probably spell the end for Miles...given Hurd's fast progression and the coaches constant praising of unknown, Isiah Stanbeck. Personally, I really do believe we would be fine if we didnt pick one up...Miles is not a guy I want to give up on and bringing in another receiver is just going to hinder Hurd's growth. We'll see what happens. I'd still prefer to stay w/ what we got.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 01-22-2008 at 04:58 PM.
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:48 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont buy any rumors of Ratliff moving back to end...I'd find it more likely that Hatcher gets the job or we look outside the organization. Wade loves Ratliff at NT. Is it possible? yes...but, Ratliff played just as well as any 3-4 NT in the league this season when healthy.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 01-22-2008 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:57 PM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
Well, I was saying Glenn was coming back if he didnt need surgery...All reports indicated that he was getting stronger every week and he wouldnt need further surgery. He even went as far as saying that he would be back next season. As for them saying he needs surgery...that is false...TG has still yet to tell anyone that he needs surgery so, they are jumping the gun a bit there. He wont even meet w/ JJ until later in the week. It could go either way at this point.

As for what we do at the position...I could see that going either way also...I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it wasnt addressed...but, given JJ's comments about bringing in some more offensive fire power...we might bring in another this off-season...this would probably spell the end for Miles...given Hurd's fast progression and the coaches constant praising of unknown, Isiah Stanbeck. Personally, I really do believe we would be fine if we didnt pick one up...Miles is not a guy I want to give up on and bringing in another receiver is just going to hinder Hurd's growth. We'll see what happens.
I don't know MOTH. Yes we have some young guys at the WR position, but do you really think that they could turn not only into solid WR but into good/very good WR's? Now that Terry is probably gonna retire, do you think we'll be able to replace him using Hurd or Austin? I know our offense was amazing this year even without Glenn, but sometimes we missed another threat opposite to Owens. Against Detroit, sometimes they used three guys on TO! Yes, we killed them with Witten, but just imagine what a true threat opposite Owens could do in a situation like that.
I like Stanback's potential, but we need a guy who can replace TO in the future. He's gonna be 36 when his contract expires and if he will ask for a big contract I don't know if we're gonna resign him. He's still playing like he's in his prime, but at his age you can start declining fast...
I don't have any faith in Austin or Hurd to become more than slot receivers, and I do believe Crayton is perfect for the slot but JAG as our #2.
Bringing Larry Fitzgerald or Roy Williams will give us not only a threat opposite Owens, but a guy to replace him in the future.

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:27 PM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano View Post
I don't know MOTH. Yes we have some young guys at the WR position, but do you really think that they could turn not only into solid WR but into good/very good WR's? Now that Terry is probably gonna retire, do you think we'll be able to replace him using Hurd or Austin? I know our offense was amazing this year even without Glenn, but sometimes we missed another threat opposite to Owens. Against Detroit, sometimes they used three guys on TO! Yes, we killed them with Witten, but just imagine what a true threat opposite Owens could do in a situation like that.
I like Stanback's potential, but we need a guy who can replace TO in the future. He's gonna be 36 when his contract expires and if he will ask for a big contract I don't know if we're gonna resign him. He's still playing like he's in his prime, but at his age you can start declining fast...
I don't have any faith in Austin or Hurd to become more than slot receivers, and I do believe Crayton is perfect for the slot but JAG as our #2.
Bringing Larry Fitzgerald or Roy Williams will give us not only a threat opposite Owens, but a guy to replace him in the future.
We need that deep threat to stretch the field. When TO (who can stretch the field himself) was hurt, it really showed up.
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:29 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano View Post
The thing is...no, i dont know if they can turn into great receivers but, I would like to find out before we just give up on them. I mean, the passing game was not a problem at all...our guys helped Tony have one of the greatest seasons in Cowboy QB history and we did have the best offense in team history this year. This was a Super Bowl caliber offense.

As for Patrick Crayton, he doesnt really get that much credit on here...This was only his first season as a starter. A year where he wasnt supposed to have such a large role. Patrick is a fine player and he is still improving as a receiver. He was also banged up for most of the 2nd half of the season. He is better than a number of #2 receivers around the league.

Everyone is in a rush to find T.O.'s replacement but, this guy is no where near ready to retire and he is certainly going to re-sign as long as he is still playing at a high level by seasons end.

Yes, bringing in one of those two would be an interesting idea but, none of us know if it's really a possibilty....and Fitz's contract is ridiculous.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 01-22-2008, 05:32 PM    (permalink
Achilles33
Veteran

Achilles33 smells like sex panther.Achilles33 smells like sex panther.Achilles33 smells like sex panther.

Quote:
Peace out, Pasqualoni
4:11 PM Tue, Jan 22, 2008 | Permalink
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips
Calvin Watkins reports that, according to a source, linebackers coach Paul Pasqualoni has accepted an offer to become Miami's defensive coordinator.

No word yet on DL coach Kacy Rodgers, but it'd be a stunner if he doesn't join the group of former Valley Ranch employees in Miami.
With all of our coaches going to Miami, I have a bad feeling that in repay for this, Bill is going to give jerry a discount for Darren McFadden. NO!!!!!

I love McFadden, but I think having Da Barbarian and Chris Johnson/Felix Jones, plus all of our other picks is better than just mcfadden. Way better.

Please gut, be wrong.
Achilles33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:39 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinChase View Post
We need that deep threat to stretch the field. When TO (who can stretch the field himself) was hurt, it really showed up.
You have to take into account that our receivers behind T.O. are made up of a 1st year starter, 2 second year receivers, and an unknown that our coaches love. All these guys are going to get better. Miles def. has the speed to be a deep threat for us...we tried to get him the ball deep on numerous occassions...most of which ended in defensive pass interference calls...which are just as good as receptions. The opposition couldnt keep up w/ him. Stanbeck is another speedy guy who can potentially do the same...who knows? I dont think we have a problem...this isnt a position that needs to be touched until after next season, imo. Let's actually see what we have first.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 01-22-2008, 06:08 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ill be the first to admit TO is in great shape and has at least 2 years to play at a high level, but what if he goes down? Will Austin come in and make plays? No. That would be wishful thinking if we thought he would...Crayton doesnt demand double teams as a #1, granted I love him as our wr period but he's not a #1...

and with stanback being the development guy, we will go after a FA wr, it might not be the big names we want, but if we cant get them we will grab one, because someone needs to be able to step up if TO misses time, unless anyone here was satisfied with the way our wrs played vs washington week 17 or in the playoffs...We cannot keep relying or expecting TO to play 16 games, if he broke his foot and was out for 3 months we would be horrible in the passing game, we need another aspect

I doubt we draft a guy, if we do it will be someone we really liked, and that would only be if we cant grab an impact FA wr...I like our wr core, I really do, but if we go into next year with the exact same group of guys, I still dont see us making it through TO missing a game, not with Crayton and Hurd as our starters with maybe Stanback as the 3, we need a proven guy to be our #2 that can replace TO if he gets hurt as the guy who needs to demand attention from secondaries, then crayton can be the 2 again, but we would be much more dynamic with a playmaker with our #2 wr and let crayton find the soft spots out of the slot...getting that wr opposite TO is more important then a rb to share with Barber imho

Quote:
Old 01-22-2008, 06:23 PM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Jdallas hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

If Spears leaves one way or another I don't think Hatcher can handle the whole load as DE by himself. To me he just doesn't seem built to handle the run in a 3-4, but a rotation of Ratliff and Hatcher would be perfect and they can both contribute on the nickel as well.

AmI the only one who doesn't think we should use a 1st on a RB? Think about it, we have a Pro Bowler who should probably be a starter next year. Why spend so much on a backup player when the past has shown that starting quality RBs are often found outside the 1st round. Unless there is an elite player, I'm against drafting a starting RB in the 1st round. I find it very difficult to understand why anybody would want to spend a 1st round pick on a backup RB.

I would love to see Rogers come here. He still showed flashes of dominance in the Lions games I saw this year. I'm not sure how much you would have to give up for him, but I would like to take a look at him.

While I don't think I've ever been a huge Roy Williams supporter, I really don't want to see him back next year. He used to make up for his coverage liabilities by creating big plays, but he had no big plays this year and has seemed to regress in coverage. Without Roy we would have an almost perfect situation with Davis at SS and Hamlin at FS in the base and then move Hamlin to SS and Watkins to FS on the nickel.

Finally, I would be surprised to see Ayodele starting next season. If Carpenter leaves he still has a chance since I'm not sure if Burnett could take all of the plays over the whole season, but Akin did not play as well this year as he did last year and I think this is the year Carpenter takes a turn. The thing that most don't understand about him is that in the style of defense he played in college he didn't have to worry about attacking blockers and getting around linemen. He certainly has the athletic ability to do that and has proven he can learn with his vast special teams improvement since last season.

Desings by D-Unit
Jdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:25 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My take on our WR situation

Terrell Owens - His contract is up after next season. Jerry already stated that he will give TO his $3M roster bonus in June. I think he will be given one more 3 year deal, which will probably be the last one of his career. I don't think TO is the type to drag out his career and allow his game to decline in front of the public's eye. He will try to go out on top. If the Cowboys win the Super Bowl within the next 3 years, I think TO will retire. I expect a 3 year, 30-35M type deal.

Terry Glenn - He was a fun guy to watch and cheer for in a Cowboys uniform. He totally exceeded my expectations. His career is at it's journey's end. He may be trying to put off surgery, but even if he were to come back, he wouldn't be the same. He didn't look the same this year when he came back and he had all the time he needed to. MOTH, we really can't invest a lot into what Romo may have said about him in practice, looking sharp and all. That's just a QB supporting a trusted and honored veteran. You should know better. The reason why Glenn had it specified that he would receive a $5M dollar roster bonus in June '07 was because he knew it was unlikely that he'd see many more years of his contract after that. He definitely wasn't going to see the $4,950,000 owed to him in 2010. Jerry is smart enough to know now is the time to cut the line. Terry knows it and that's why he's trying to avoid Jerry.

Patrick Crayton - I've always felt he was an important part of the puzzle, however, never felt he was irreplaceable. I was ok with his extension. It wasn't a huge relief that we signed him, but it certainly was deserved. I like the stability that he brings to the table. He's grown with Romo and they're building something between the two. He's a good #3 receiver. Asking him to be a full time starter however, is not going to make us a feared offense. He's our version of Brandon Stokely.

Sam Hurd - Hurd has a future with the Cowboys. We will always need that #4 WR and he can fill that role for a long time. He also has the capability of stepping in due to injury. Will he ever be a full time starter for the Cowboys? Maybe, but if that happens, we won't be winning any Super Bowls.

Miles Austin - Will he ever put it all together? We keep hoping. As long as he has a job doing kick returns, he'll be with the team. His future is certainly in doubt and his contract is up in 2009. It's do or die time for him. With Terry Glenn leaving, Austin should have one more chance to stick on the roster, but don't be surprised if he's let go by the time we have to trim the roster down to 53. Aaron Glenn got cut last year. There are no guarantees.

Isaiah Stanback - He will probably be given 3 years to show what he can do. I enjoy reading the positive news out on him. He's got a unique blend of skills. This coaching staff brought him aboard, so I don't see them giving up on him too soon. I think he has the upside to be a starter, but it will take time to get there. The 2009-10 season could be his true breakout year.

We are strong at the bottom of the depth chart based off sheer potential. But there are still questions to be answered to see if they can reach their potential. The talent is there and it's no time to give up on them just yet. However, at the top of the depth chart, we are aging. TO is good for a few more years, but we have a spot open opposite of him for another really talented player to step up in. The guys lower on the depth chart could possibly grab that role, but it's a shot in the dark. Knowing Jerry and they way he likes to play football, I wouldn't expect anything less than another flashy name to be slated in playing opposite of TO in 2008. I expect a trade, a high pick or a late cut signing of a decently big named player to fill the role of our #2 WR.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:35 PM    (permalink
Dave
Pro Bowler

Dave hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

We already have a Flashy WR, his name is Terrell Owens. In case you weren't sure, of course.

I bet he'll reach into the free agent pool and grab a good number two, but I wouldn't look for us to make a big splash and grab a top tier WR. We haven't the money to grab a top tier WR and a CB. We'll obviously reach for a corner.

Just a bit of logic to all this crazy talk
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckseason View Post
Brady is 'just' the Queen on Belichick's chess board.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:41 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burnett needs to be moved into the starting position and play the nickel.

If D-ware can be on the field taking LT's head on play after play for the entire game, then Burnett can man the ILB spot in all packages.

If he needs to take a few snaps off than so be it. But we have guys on the team who only take 5-7 snaps off on defense. Ware hardly takes off any. There is no excuse for him not to be starting.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:43 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdallas View Post
If Spears leaves one way or another I don't think Hatcher can handle the whole load as DE by himself. To me he just doesn't seem built to handle the run in a 3-4, but a rotation of Ratliff and Hatcher would be perfect and they can both contribute on the nickel as well.

AmI the only one who doesn't think we should use a 1st on a RB? Think about it, we have a Pro Bowler who should probably be a starter next year. Why spend so much on a backup player when the past has shown that starting quality RBs are often found outside the 1st round. Unless there is an elite player, I'm against drafting a starting RB in the 1st round. I find it very difficult to understand why anybody would want to spend a 1st round pick on a backup RB.

I would love to see Rogers come here. He still showed flashes of dominance in the Lions games I saw this year. I'm not sure how much you would have to give up for him, but I would like to take a look at him.

While I don't think I've ever been a huge Roy Williams supporter, I really don't want to see him back next year. He used to make up for his coverage liabilities by creating big plays, but he had no big plays this year and has seemed to regress in coverage. Without Roy we would have an almost perfect situation with Davis at SS and Hamlin at FS in the base and then move Hamlin to SS and Watkins to FS on the nickel.

Finally, I would be surprised to see Ayodele starting next season. If Carpenter leaves he still has a chance since I'm not sure if Burnett could take all of the plays over the whole season, but Akin did not play as well this year as he did last year and I think this is the year Carpenter takes a turn. The thing that most don't understand about him is that in the style of defense he played in college he didn't have to worry about attacking blockers and getting around linemen. He certainly has the athletic ability to do that and has proven he can learn with his vast special teams improvement since last season.
Hmm... that's interesting. I never gave thought to Hatcher's weakness in run support. Didn't even realize he had one. I haven't picked that up, but I also dunno if we really have seen enough of him to make that case yet.

No, you're aren't the only who doesn't want to spend a first rounder on a RB. I don't recall anybody here who actually does, though there might be some.

Shaun Rogers racked up 7 sacks, and INT for a TD, a few fumble recoveries, etc etc last year. Detroit apparently doesn't want that back. I talked to Scott about it and he thinks Detroit could only get a mid round pick for him. I'm all for that... thus the reason I brought it up. ;)

Akin Ayodele was not on the team last year. ...at least I didn't see him. For some odd reason, his name still shows up on the active team roster. I'm befuddled. LOL! Seriously, we need to cut him. He's owed.... 2008: $2.5 million, 2009: $2.75 million, 2010: $3.25 million, 2011: Free Agent. That's too much for the amount of contribution he provides. We need to address ILB in the draft... and the guy I want is Vanderbilt's Goff.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:52 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Hmm... that's interesting. I never gave thought to Hatcher's weakness in run support. Didn't even realize he had one. I haven't picked that up, but I also dunno if we really have seen enough of him to make that case yet.

No, you're aren't the only who doesn't want to spend a first rounder on a RB. I don't recall anybody here who actually does, though there might be some.

Shaun Rogers racked up 7 sacks, and INT for a TD, a few fumble recoveries, etc etc last year. Detroit apparently doesn't want that back. I talked to Scott about it and he thinks Detroit could only get a mid round pick for him. I'm all for that... thus the reason I brought it up. ;)

Akin Ayodele was not on the team last year. ...at least I didn't see him. For some odd reason, his name still shows up on the active team roster. I'm befuddled. LOL! Seriously, we need to cut him. He's owed.... 2008: $2.5 million, 2009: $2.75 million, 2010: $3.25 million, 2011: Free Agent. That's too much for the amount of contribution he provides. We need to address ILB in the draft... and the guy I want is Vanderbilt's Goff.
Ayodele is another guy who can be good in a 4-3, but just isn't cut out for this defense.

Now that I think about it, it's amazing that we were 13-3 with so many liabilities/Non-contributors on defense.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:54 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
We already have a Flashy WR, his name is Terrell Owens. In case you weren't sure, of course.

I bet he'll reach into the free agent pool and grab a good number two, but I wouldn't look for us to make a big splash and grab a top tier WR. We haven't the money to grab a top tier WR and a CB. We'll obviously reach for a corner.

Just a bit of logic to all this crazy talk
This is actually what I said.... "Knowing Jerry and they way he likes to play football, I wouldn't expect anything less than another flashy name to be slated in playing opposite of TO in 2008."

So yeah, I know we have TO. Have you seen the FA pool? There are no good #2's out there.

Johnson, Bryant (ARZ)
Darling, Devard (BLT)
Aiken, Sam (BUF)
Carter, Drew (CAR)
Colbert, Keary (CAR)
Chatman, Antonio (CIN)
Carter, Tim (CLV)
Walters, Troy (DET)
Davis, Andre (HST)
Moorehead, Aaron (IND)
Wilford, Ernest (JAX)
Drummond, Eddie (KC)
Parker, Samie (KC)
Ferguson, Robert (MIN)
Brown, Troy (NE)
Gaffney, Jabar (NE)
Copper, Terrance (NO)
Henderson, Devery (NO)
Patten, David (NO)
Dwight, Tim (OAK)
Hackett, D.J. (SEA)
Gilmore, Bryan (SF)
Lewis, Michael (SF)
Jones, Mark (TB)
Gage, Justin (TEN)
Moulds, Eric (TEN)
Caldwell, Reche (WAS)
McCardell, Keenan (WAS)

So how will we get a top tier WR? To repeat myself... "I expect a trade, a high pick or a late cut signing (after June cuts) of a decently big named player to fill the role of our #2 WR."
Old 01-22-2008, 08:13 PM    (permalink
Achilles33
Veteran

Achilles33 smells like sex panther.Achilles33 smells like sex panther.Achilles33 smells like sex panther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
Ayodele is another guy who can be good in a 4-3, but just isn't cut out for this defense.

Now that I think about it, it's amazing that we were 13-3 with so many liabilities/Non-contributors on defense.
It's because we are so talented. Seriously. People always rip me for being a homer when I talk about how much talent the cowboys have, but it's true. We made so many plays and won a few games based on talent and individual skills alone. It still shocks we that we aren't still playing, but we will be this time next season.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:15 PM    (permalink
Achilles33
Veteran

On that list, I would only want Sammie Parker (whenever I watch a chiefs game he makes a sick catch), and DJ Hackett (consistant, solid WR).
Old 01-22-2008, 08:23 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles33 View Post
On that list, I would only want Sammie Parker (whenever I watch a chiefs game he makes a sick catch), and DJ Hackett (consistant, solid WR).
Who would you drop in place of those guys?

I'd rather bank on the potential of young guys instead of bringing in a #3 at best receiver.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:39 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Stallworth could be let go right? Id take him, not for the future but he is affordable and fits a need right now...But the list isnt that appealing, so if no trade is worked out we could be using pick 22 on a wr and a db with the latter...not sure, I know its nice to develop talent but you cant expect to fill every position by young guys who have shown promise, its nice that Austin is really fast and still learning, but does that mean he had cemented a place on the team? I dont see what he's done at wr past run past the safeties, its not hard to get a wr that can run past the safeties, Austin cant catch...If he cant catch now, I dont see how that is going to get so much better...I remember when Crayton first started getting playing time he caught most everything even when he wasnt running the best routes, Hurd catches damn near everything, Austin is simply too one dimensional...If we draft a CB that can kick return Austin is probably going to get cut, especially if we bring a wr in

Quote: