Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-22-2008, 08:40 PM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
This is actually what I said.... "Knowing Jerry and they way he likes to play football, I wouldn't expect anything less than another flashy name to be slated in playing opposite of TO in 2008."

So yeah, I know we have TO. Have you seen the FA pool? There are no good #2's out there.

Johnson, Bryant (ARZ)
Darling, Devard (BLT)
Aiken, Sam (BUF)
Carter, Drew (CAR)
Colbert, Keary (CAR)
Chatman, Antonio (CIN)
Carter, Tim (CLV)
Walters, Troy (DET)
Davis, Andre (HST)
Moorehead, Aaron (IND)
Wilford, Ernest (JAX)
Drummond, Eddie (KC)
Parker, Samie (KC)
Ferguson, Robert (MIN)
Brown, Troy (NE)
Gaffney, Jabar (NE)
Copper, Terrance (NO)
Henderson, Devery (NO)
Patten, David (NO)
Dwight, Tim (OAK)
Hackett, D.J. (SEA)
Gilmore, Bryan (SF)
Lewis, Michael (SF)
Jones, Mark (TB)
Gage, Justin (TEN)
Moulds, Eric (TEN)
Caldwell, Reche (WAS)
McCardell, Keenan (WAS)

So how will we get a top tier WR? To repeat myself... "I expect a trade, a high pick or a late cut signing (after June cuts) of a decently big named player to fill the role of our #2 WR."
You don't have Bernard Berrian on that list. Won't he be an UFA? Now he can stretch a field. Also, don't forget Donte Stallworth. I'm betting he'll be a cap casualty for NE.
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:01 PM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Jdallas hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
Burnett needs to be moved into the starting position and play the nickel.

If D-ware can be on the field taking LT's head on play after play for the entire game, then Burnett can man the ILB spot in all packages.

If he needs to take a few snaps off than so be it. But we have guys on the team who only take 5-7 snaps off on defense. Ware hardly takes off any. There is no excuse for him not to be starting.
I don't think that Ware should be playing every snap either. I am a huge believer in rotating guys on defense, it's just too hard to play at such a high level for every snap. Also, Ware is quite a bit bigger than Burnett and that's why he can handle to load better.

Desings by D-Unit
Jdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:40 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdallas View Post
I don't think that Ware should be playing every snap either. I am a huge believer in rotating guys on defense, it's just too hard to play at such a high level for every snap. Also, Ware is quite a bit bigger than Burnett and that's why he can handle to load better.
It should be easier for Burnett than Ware to play an entire game. Bullrushing and wrestling with a LT expends more energy than shooting gaps and dropping into a zone.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:53 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Terry Glenn will need microfracture surgery on his knee.

It's becoming more and more unlikely that the Cowboys will retain Glenn at his current $1.74 million price tag. When Jerry Jones was asked about Glenn's future with Dallas, he said he would discuss it with him soon, and left it at that. Glenn's career is most likely over, but there's a chance the Cowboys could give him a small contract to rehab with them. Jan. 22 - 1:36 pm et

via dallas morning news...so I highly doubt we rely on him, even if he were to come back how many games could we expect, its the end for him, sounds more and more like wr is going to be highly sought after, without Glenn back I cant imagine we dont draft one high or bring somebody in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:58 PM    (permalink
BX
Veteran

BX hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Any chance Sam Hurd could compete for the #2 or #3 spot?
Old 01-22-2008, 10:34 PM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
via dallas morning news...so I highly doubt we rely on him, even if he were to come back how many games could we expect, its the end for him, sounds more and more like wr is going to be highly sought after, without Glenn back I cant imagine we dont draft one high or bring somebody in
If he still wants to play he could start out the season on PUP, my guess is it would be up to him if he wants to keep playing or not.

Anyone know what kind of a cap impact cutting him would have?

Desings by D-Unit
Old 01-22-2008, 10:35 PM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BX View Post
Any chance Sam Hurd could compete for the #2 or #3 spot?
If nobody comes in he's the incumbent #3. As long as we don't bring someone in through free agency he absolutely gets the opportunity to compete.

Desings by D-Unit
Old 01-22-2008, 11:49 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinChase View Post
You don't have Bernard Berrian on that list. Won't he be an UFA? Now he can stretch a field. Also, don't forget Donte Stallworth. I'm betting he'll be a cap casualty for NE.
That's because I don't think the Bears will let him go. He is very important to the team.

Stallworth isn't a FA. Acquiring a WR after cuts is something I just mentioned. We've discussed him as a possibility in the past, but yeah, no one has brought him up recently. The market for him could be huge.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:50 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone think Limas Sweed would work here? Apparently, he's a guy we spoke to extensively at the SB.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:59 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've heard a lot of rumors that the 'Boys are shopping Bobby Carpenter and Marcus Spears at the Senior Bowl. What do you think they will be asking for them?

The only reason I'm asking is because I'd like to see the Saints go after Carpenter.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:02 AM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As a Giants fan, I would trade a conditional 2nd for Bobby Carpernter. Mostly based off of playing time, where it will drop to a 3rd.

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.
Giants, ASU Sun Devils, Yankees
Turtlepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:38 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Anyone think Limas Sweed would work here? Apparently, he's a guy we spoke to extensively at the SB.
for me thats a tough one, I posted some scouts take on a few of the wrs at senior bowl...as far as Sweed he has alot of talent, ill have to see him do some drills at the combines before I make up my mind totally but I can see some playmaker in him, yet I can also see another average big body wr(ernest wilford?), and not seeing him play this year made it hard to judge...

If we take him late in the 2nd ill be very happy, in the first ill be a little more critical...I personally think he will be a good nfl wr, just not sure if he can be that dominant plaxico burress type, or if he will just be ernest wilford...I didnt know we talked to him though thats pretty interesting, if we spoke to him this early he must be a guy someone likes within the organization

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlepower View Post
As a Giants fan, I would trade a conditional 2nd for Bobby Carpernter. Mostly based off of playing time, where it will drop to a 3rd.
thats what i think his tender should be around, his value is not shot like Spears is, but im thinking they will be packaged together to somebody...Carpenter will end up being pretty solid in the right system I think

Quote:
Old 01-23-2008, 01:57 AM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Roy Williams still makes the most sense to me. He wants out of Detroit, and I think that Millen will accept #22 for him. Roy is better than any WR we can grab in this draft and he's only 26.

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:16 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlepower View Post
I think if we trade him it would have to involve a pick in this year's draft. So playing time next season would be irrelevant.

I think we'd take a late 2nd for him and I think he'd be worth it for the Giants to do as well. I just personally would hate sending him to a division rival.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:35 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It may not be the smartest thing to do but, given JJ's history of playing the money...I still think Akin will be starting next season...Burnett was better this year but, I still think it will be the same set up as last year. Burnett gets a lot of playing time but, I dont think he's going to be starting. This is just something the fans would like to see and have their hearts set on...but, within the organziation...I dont think they see Akin as a weakness. He's strong against the run and was getting better rush by the end of the year and he is making that starting money...So, just like the Kosier and Roy Williams situations...I think they'll remain the same...even though us fans would love for them to be changed. It's been this way for years...JJ and his crew play the money.

For me personally...I could live w/ Kosier and Akin starting...the biggest problem is Roy and he has to go...but, in reality he would probably be the least likely to be moved/cut.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 01-23-2008 at 06:40 AM.
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:04 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

uh oh, I think I smell a trade in the works :)

Quote:
St. Petersburg Times writer Rick Stroud reported on ESPN's First Take that the Lions will look to trade Shaun Rogers. The Detroit Free Press has confirmed via a source that Rogers will not be brought back in 2008.

Rogers can be a dominant force inside, but the Lions are clearly frustrated by his failure to stay consistently productive and in shape. If the Lions can't deal him, Rogers is expected to be released. Detroit should be able to get a first-day pick for the 28-year-old, but probably not a first-rounder. Jan. 23 - 11:06 am et

man he would look great with a star on his helmet, we can go after roy after the fact, but the fact they want to trade rogers or release him means we need to go after him now, he instantly makes our defensive line twice as good..

whose the odd man out of the rotation at NT? Tank or Fergy? either guy should do well spelling Rogers and keeping him fresh

Quote:
Old 01-23-2008, 01:30 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
uh oh, I think I smell a trade in the works :)

man he would look great with a star on his helmet, we can go after roy after the fact, but the fact they want to trade rogers or release him means we need to go after him now, he instantly makes our defensive line twice as good..

whose the odd man out of the rotation at NT? Tank or Fergy? either guy should do well spelling Rogers and keeping him fresh
This is the exact reason why I decided it would be ok for me to include Rogers in my first mock that included trades. I knew he would hit the market and felt he would be a perfect fit here. We need to get the ball rollin'.

Ferg would probably be the odd man out. I think he's already one of the candidates to get cut anyways. He's old, he's coming off injury, he's a Parcells guy more than a Wade guy, we just paid Ratliff, and he's making a lot of money. All the signs point to him getting cut in my opinion.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:07 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
It may not be the smartest thing to do but, given JJ's history of playing the money...I still think Akin will be starting next season...Burnett was better this year but, I still think it will be the same set up as last year. Burnett gets a lot of playing time but, I dont think he's going to be starting. This is just something the fans would like to see and have their hearts set on...but, within the organziation...I dont think they see Akin as a weakness. He's strong against the run and was getting better rush by the end of the year and he is making that starting money...So, just like the Kosier and Roy Williams situations...I think they'll remain the same...even though us fans would love for them to be changed. It's been this way for years...JJ and his crew play the money.

For me personally...I could live w/ Kosier and Akin starting...the biggest problem is Roy and he has to go...but, in reality he would probably be the least likely to be moved/cut.

Really, MOTH? I'm surprised that you think Akin is strong against the run. Maybe I'm blind, but from what I see, he is terrible against the run. He only had 4 more tackles than Burnett and he was constantly blown off the line. He was the reason for many of the big plays this year. Ryan Grants homerun against us was basically because of him.

DMNBlog did a break down of the last game of the season and Akin got way more snaps than Burnett did.

I know certain games Burnett got equal or more playing time, but for the majority of the season he only played a fraction of what Akin did, and He only came in on passing situations yet he still ended up with only 4 less tackles.

In my mind, Burnett is clearly the better blitzer, cover guy, and tackler. I've seen a lot of guys have trouble with Brandon Jacobs but I certainly remember Burnett single handedly putting him on his ass (and picking up a taunting penalty). I don't know, He just seems like the most athletic linebacker on the team and looks to have the potential to be more than Bradie James will ever be.

Maybe I just have a man crush on him. i don't know. It seems like an easy decision to me.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:13 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

I have a feeling that D-line will not be addressed in the manner that many of us hope that it will. I think we just see a heavier rotation between spears and hatcher next year unfortunately.

The team is high on Canty (rumors are he is getting a contract that is around what ratliff just got) and Ratliff. They might want to give Hatcher another offseason to see what he can be before doing anything drastic.

I'd be in favor of moving the rat back to DE, where I think he is best suited, and us bringing in someone to plug the middle like Jammal Williams does.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:27 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm curious as to how they think Det should get a 2nd or 3rd rounder for Rogers when they have tipped their hand that he's not going to come back.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:42 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Really, MOTH? I'm surprised that you think Akin is strong against the run. Maybe I'm blind, but from what I see, he is terrible against the run. He only had 4 more tackles than Burnett and he was constantly blown off the line. He was the reason for many of the big plays this year. Ryan Grants homerun against us was basically because of him.

DMNBlog did a break down of the last game of the season and Akin got way more snaps than Burnett did.

I know certain games Burnett got equal or more playing time, but for the majority of the season he only played a fraction of what Akin did, and He only came in on passing situations yet he still ended up with only 4 less tackles.

In my mind, Burnett is clearly the better blitzer, cover guy, and tackler. I've seen a lot of guys have trouble with Brandon Jacobs but I certainly remember Burnett single handedly putting him on his ass (and picking up a taunting penalty). I don't know, He just seems like the most athletic linebacker on the team and looks to have the potential to be more than Bradie James will ever be.

Maybe I just have a man crush on him. i don't know. It seems like an easy decision to me.
I'm also in the agreement that Akin played poorly last year. The guy is not good at fighting off blocks, working through the garbage and getting to the ball carrier. He'll tackle the guy if the guy runs into him, but I don't remember one play where he aggressively pursued the ball carrier. ...and let's just forget about him in pass coverage. He's a non-factor, whereas Burnett is active in that part.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:45 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I have a feeling that D-line will not be addressed in the manner that many of us hope that it will. I think we just see a heavier rotation between spears and hatcher next year unfortunately.

The team is high on Canty (rumors are he is getting a contract that is around what ratliff just got) and Ratliff. They might want to give Hatcher another offseason to see what he can be before doing anything drastic.

I'd be in favor of moving the rat back to DE, where I think he is best suited, and us bringing in someone to plug the middle like Jammal Williams does.
Well, I have hopes. I'm clinging onto the hope that they'll go after Rogers, but there have been positive signs that there is attention being shown on DL prospects at the Senior Bowl.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:45 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Well, I have hopes. I'm clinging onto the hope that they'll go after Rogers, but there have been positive signs that there is attention being shown on DL prospects at the Senior Bowl.
I would love for us to do that. I think that takes us from an average D to a top tier D.

A true NT with DE's who can actually get pressure... It would open up a lot of things for us. More blitzing from the inside, and our OLB's would see less double teams. Pressure would really increase for us.The secondary would obviously benefit from this.

It just seems too easy to me. Every year there are great idea's that seem like they would benefit our team and we never get it done. I don't know, I'm skeptical, but would love for it to go down.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:48 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Holy **** D.... Check this out...

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/story.../23/17305/7291

He's out for the taking if we want him

Last edited by Burns336 : 01-23-2008 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:05 PM    (permalink
Im_a_Romosexual
Pro Bowler

Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

we have to at least make an offer. a fourth, maybe, but I wouldn't mind giving up a third
Im_a_Romosexual is offline   Reply With Quote