Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 02-06-2008, 07:07 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles33 View Post
Hey guys, Im back. :)

But seriously, I was just thinking about something that made me like as our starter the Barbarian even more:

You know how we were a slow starting team for most of the season right? And we were considered a second half team, correct? Maybe that's because of julius jones and Marion Barber. It seems like when Marion is in there (never the first quarter until the playoff game) he injects our offense with life. When julius was in there, it was like "ok julius, take the ball, run into colombo's back for a 1 yard gain, if lucky, ready break", LOL. I was thinking about that and I think it makes sense. I am really looking forward to MBIII going berserk as the starter next year. (and watching a few more trucks in the Pro-Bowl)

What do you guys think?
You know it's funny. We had Marion injecting life into our offense in the second half of games early in the season in limited action, and we actually were winning. In fact I think we lost something like 1 game up until the month of December. Then when Marion started a game, we actually lost. Interesting phenomenon that. We WON games when Barber was getting his carries in the second half, and we lost when he started.

You guys all agree that Marion is a great back. I say, if he's so great, why shouldn't he be playing in the second half? Not only is it more suited to his running style and abilities, but some would argue that the second half is actually MORE important than the first half. Personally, I'd rather have my great back playing at that time.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:10 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Any news on Ellis? I heard he wants out? I know youre fine with Spencer (probably better with him starting), but it wouldnt be a bad idea to have 3 pass rushers on your team.

I really liked the package where Ellis played DE and Ware and Spencer OLB on passing downs. Very effective blitz package. Maybe tell Carp to gain weight again and try OLB out?

He's not a ILB, at 255 he shouldve gained 10 more lbs of muscle and stayed at OLB, instead he went down to 240, and lost any ability to pass rush, and wasn't strong enough to play ILB. He needs to get back up to 260ish and play OLB.

Or trade him to a 4-3 team the way his body type is now.
...Ellis cries every year, but doesn't seem to go anywhere. I think he probably plays this year as a Cowboy and either retires or goes somewhere else next year.

I would also guess that Carpenter is gone before the season starts. The fact that we made it public that we were shopping him and that he played under 10 snaps this year would be a good indication, haha.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:03 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

I'll take that bet that Carpenter's gone before the season starts. We'll shop him to see what value we can get, but the NFL still stands for No Trade League. And that rings especially true with regard to players. Even if Carpenter didn't show up that much this season, 2 years is far too soon to give up on a former #1 pick. Even Mike Williams got two full years, and he couldn't even break the active roster, much less show anything.

I would guess that the reason Carpenter and Spears' names have shown up on the trade market are specifically to see what interest they draw from Bill Parcells and the rebuilding Dolphins. Perhaps Bill will take the bait. I doubt that he can really make an offer that will match either Carpenter or Spears' value.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:04 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

the return value you'd get for Carp would be horrible. youre better off trying to salvage him somehow.

he'll thrive somewhere else. but its gonna take a lot of guts to get rid of him for peanuts and watch him succeed elsewhere.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:19 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
the return value you'd get for Carp would be horrible. youre better off trying to salvage him somehow.

he'll thrive somewhere else. but its gonna take a lot of guts to get rid of him for peanuts and watch him succeed elsewhere.
You're not gonna find a better backup for whatever you get for Carpenter...not only is he talented, but he is versatile. He can play both inside and outside and he's a good special teamer. I honestly can't see any player outside the first two rounds who would be more capable than Carpenter...and you wouldn't get anything more than a late 3rd for Carp at the very best.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:40 PM    (permalink
GDWTheSickness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ888 View Post
You're not gonna find a better backup for whatever you get for Carpenter...not only is he talented, but he is versatile. He can play both inside and outside and he's a good special teamer. I honestly can't see any player outside the first two rounds who would be more capable than Carpenter...and you wouldn't get anything more than a late 3rd for Carp at the very best.
i'd take a late 3rd for carp. But i agree he can be an excellent back-up due to his versatility. and if he wasn't a 1st round pick we'd definately hold on to him.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:55 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDWTheSickness View Post
i'd take a late 3rd for carp. But i agree he can be an excellent back-up due to his versatility. and if he wasn't a 1st round pick we'd definately hold on to him.
That's the reason I'd hold on to him. First rounders have talent, that's why they're selected where they are. The only way that would dissuade me from letting Carp go is his cap number, which really shouldn't be too high because he was selected late in the round.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:58 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Carp is our barganning piece...not other peoples...they have to want him...I find it hard to believe we give him away...why give him away for a 3rd...is anyone going to be an upgrade there? The pick alone doesn't hold hardly enough value to move up...carp is just something that can make a deal on the ropes a solid deal...if no one calls I doubt we call shipping him.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:37 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
carp is just something that can make a deal on the ropes a solid deal...if no one calls I doubt we call shipping him.
basically thats what it comes down through, is he could be the extra guy to add to a deal for someone this off season, and its well worth it for a guy who doesnt play and will probably walk after his contract is up anyway...

And his value is higher then a late 3rd, for a guy who hasnt proved he's a bust yet, teams would give up a 2nd who need defense really bad like Detroit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:46 AM    (permalink
GDWTheSickness

On NFL Network last night Adam Schefter said the raiders are going to put the franchise tag on asumougha or w/e his long name is, ravens will franchise suggs, but the Seahawks are gonna let Trufant test the open waters. Could be interesting. As long as it isn't no nate clements deal. maybe 6-7 mil a year 5-6 years. idk, but at leeast he will be there. What about quinten jammer any info on if he's staying a charger?
Old 02-07-2008, 12:51 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDWTheSickness View Post
On NFL Network last night Adam Schefter said the raiders are going to put the franchise tag on asumougha or w/e his long name is, ravens will franchise suggs, but the Seahawks are gonna let Trufant test the open waters. Could be interesting. As long as it isn't no nate clements deal. maybe 6-7 mil a year 5-6 years. idk, but at leeast he will be there. What about quinten jammer any info on if he's staying a charger?
Jammer signed an extension either last year or the year before that...he will be under contract this year.

Interesting to see Trufant in open waters...he will get more than Clements sadly. I wouldn't be mad to go after him...but Newman will also be getting a big deal so IDK if I can see it happening.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:25 PM    (permalink
GDWTheSickness

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
Jammer signed an extension either last year or the year before that...he will be under contract this year.

Interesting to see Trufant in open waters...he will get more than Clements sadly. I wouldn't be mad to go after him...but Newman will also be getting a big deal so IDK if I can see it happening.
more than clements?!?!?!?! are you serious 8 year 80 million i highly doubt it. you can't really think any team would logically pay that. the 49ers way over payed last year. their offer was way more than any one else's for him. it won't happen again.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:08 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

With so many teams in need of a cornerback, and a draft class that isn't very strong, Trufant should at least get what Clements did. Furthermore, the salary cap has grown again, allowing teams more room to give big money to players like Trufant or Asante Samuel.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:41 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Teams throw money out like that and it ends up being a waste...What good did the niners do themselves by sucking up all their cap room on one guy who didnt make a difference in the fact that they couldnt block or throw?

I want a cb, especially someone with the skillset of Trufant but not at the expense its going to come, I can guarantee if he hits the market he will be the highest defensive paid player ever, because it changes every year now, there is no way he wont get at least 80 million from somebody, and thats too high for our cap space

We just have to build for the draft, people dont rely on it enough, but if you land a solid corner he can come in and make some plays, especially on a good team like ours...we just have to hope our new scouts and talent evaluators do their job and pick the right guys

Quote:
Old 02-08-2008, 02:05 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Teams throw money out like that and it ends up being a waste...What good did the niners do themselves by sucking up all their cap room on one guy who didnt make a difference in the fact that they couldnt block or throw?

I want a cb, especially someone with the skillset of Trufant but not at the expense its going to come, I can guarantee if he hits the market he will be the highest defensive paid player ever, because it changes every year now, there is no way he wont get at least 80 million from somebody, and thats too high for our cap space

We just have to build for the draft, people dont rely on it enough, but if you land a solid corner he can come in and make some plays, especially on a good team like ours...we just have to hope our new scouts and talent evaluators do their job and pick the right guys
You ask yourself why teams like the Patriots and Colts have been so good the past 5 years and the answer is clear: they don't overpay for aging, free-agent veterans and the build their rosters through the draft. Look at all the youngsters the Colts started this year. If you can build quality depth through the draft, you don't need to pay out the big bucks for over-priced free agets. That's why spending selections on Doug Free and James Marten was such a good idea last year.

There's absolutely no way we can afford to pay Trufant or Samuel 10+ mill a year. It's ludicrous. Imagine, after next season when we pay Terrence Newman his 12 mill. a year, that, if we had Samuel then we'd be in the hole for approximately 22 million dollars a year of our salary cap (approximately 1/6 of the total cap) on just our 2 starting cornerbacks. Yikes.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:52 PM    (permalink
Achilles33
Veteran

Achilles33 smells like sex panther.Achilles33 smells like sex panther.Achilles33 smells like sex panther.

Quote:
Good sign Hamlin's sticking with Cowboys
2:02 PM Fri, Feb 08, 2008 | Permalink
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips
The USA Today's Pro Bowl notebook leads with an item on the cornerbacks chilling in Hawaii who are about to hit the open market. Ken Hamlin apparently doesn't agree with Albert "Einstein" Breer's take that the Cowboys shouldn't sign one of those guys.

"Ken Hamlin, the Cowboys safety, sent me and my girl a couple of mai tais to butter me up," Samuel said.

Speaking of girlfriends, you folks will be relieved to know that Jessica Simpson has been spotted poolside with Tony Romo in Hawaii.
Nice. I really think after the PB we will get our guys locked up. All three of the guys we want to re-sign are at the PB, so once they get back I think the signings could come rather quickly. We still have almost 4 weeks after the pro-bowl before FA starts, so I'm not worried at all.
Achilles33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 04:21 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

I was never in the crowd who was worried about Hamlin coming back...everyone wont get signed the day the super bowl ends...Under the stipulations he was brought here, this season gave us no reason to believe he shouldnt be back, and deservedly soy, I cringe to think about how bad our safety play would have been without him this year

Quote:
What if...Javon Walker gets released or traded?
There have been conflicting reports regarding the 29 year old's future with the Denver Broncos. He injured his knee in Week 3 and didn't really return to the field fully until Week 15. Walker can still flat out play and has a lot to offer to a squad in 2008. He'll either start across from young phenom Brandon Marshall and be a solid fantasy WR2 if healthy, or the Broncos will release him due to a $3.5 million roster bonus he's due. Word on the street is that Jerry Jones would swoop up Walker in a second and add him to the arsenal in Dallas, should Denver cut ties with him. Make no mistake about it, if this happens, Walker could regain fantasy WR1 status with Tony Romo tossing him the rock in Jason Garrett's offense. Most people don't realize it, but Terrell Owens is going on 34, and will slow down sooner or later. Walker, T.O., Patrick Crayton and Jason Witten would give the Cowboys the most powerful passing attack in the league.
http://www.nooffseason.com/IGsArchive172cont2.html

just a little tidbit on some javon walker speculation, nothing serious...but I dont think we want 2 guys with knee problems, walker provides alot of upside with his age and potential but he hasnt been right all season and it sure did take alot of time for him to rehab that knee

Quote:
Old 02-08-2008, 04:39 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
The Broncos haven't spoken to Javon Walker's agent since the end of the season. The Denver Post expects him to be cut or traded within a month.

Walker isn't going to to take a paycut to stay in Denver. Considering the health of his knee, we seriously doubt that any other team will trade for him. Look for Walker to hit the open market. Feb. 8 - 10:52 am et

ok, so now it looks like we dont have to give anything up, how would you guys feel about making an offer to him?? Its no idea what size contract he wants as of now, and he would have to show me he is at least healthy right now

Quote:
Old 02-08-2008, 05:47 PM    (permalink
GDWTheSickness

well he is an oft-hurt 30 year old WR. eh maybe for a bargain. seems like a complainer.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:06 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

What does that blurb about Ken Hamlin have to do with him being a cowboy.

It's just BS spit out by Tim McMahon who is an idiot.

Wow, he bought asante samuel a mai tai -- Therefore, he wants to take a pay cut to stay in Dallas...

Sorry, but I just don't see the connection there at all. I still think he's a goner.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 07:54 PM    (permalink
kingjames
Rookie

kingjames needs more cowbell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
What does that blurb about Ken Hamlin have to do with him being a cowboy.

It's just BS spit out by Tim McMahon who is an idiot.

Wow, he bought asante samuel a mai tai -- Therefore, he wants to take a pay cut to stay in Dallas...

Sorry, but I just don't see the connection there at all. I still think he's a goner.
FWIW, Jones seems to like resigning his guys so I expect Newman to get a big deal. Not saying good or bad. I think this limits the Cowboys in the Trufant/Samuels game.

For FA, Drayton Florence seems to be a common name and would fit nicely into the Cap I guess. Pacman Jones would also fit if the Commish lets him back. Nothing new here but say waht maybe even both guys if cheap enough. Newman, Pacman, Florence with a good CAP number .... Henry and Hamlin .... Williams, Watkins, Reeves on the bench. That would be a nice DB rotation IMHO.

As far a WR, Javon Walker would also seem like a nice pick up. Personally, I think he has been somewhat over looked and under-loved in both GB and Denver. If his knee is fine, that is a fine pick up and kudos to Jerry. Remeber Jones, took the flyer on Colombo and no one thought he would ever play.

Last edited by kingjames : 02-08-2008 at 07:56 PM.
kingjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:40 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I was never in the crowd who was worried about Hamlin coming back...everyone wont get signed the day the super bowl ends...Under the stipulations he was brought here, this season gave us no reason to believe he shouldnt be back, and deservedly soy, I cringe to think about how bad our safety play would have been without him this year

http://www.nooffseason.com/IGsArchive172cont2.html

just a little tidbit on some javon walker speculation, nothing serious...but I dont think we want 2 guys with knee problems, walker provides alot of upside with his age and potential but he hasnt been right all season and it sure did take alot of time for him to rehab that knee
I would love Javon Walker. Obviously, the Cowboys would require a physical and if the doctors are okay with it, bring him on!

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:24 PM    (permalink
Im_a_Romosexual
Pro Bowler

Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would give Walker a 2-3 year deal with a bunch of performance incentives. maybe a million or so signing bonus
Im_a_Romosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:26 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I saw Romo and Jessica today. They're together for sure.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 01:44 AM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I saw Romo and Jessica today. They're together for sure.
How is she? As hot as she looks on TV? :P

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote