Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 02-19-2008, 02:46 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

I really liked our mammoth O-line (with the exception of Kosier) -- They just won't look as dominating without flo :(

I hope we still manage to bring him back, although It looks like the only way that happens is if Flo want's to remain and Dallas and is willing to take a pay cut.

On the plus side, this makes Ken Hamlin's situation a lot better.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:03 PM    (permalink
ricowboy
Rookie

ricowboy is a cocksman.ricowboy is a cocksman.ricowboy is a cocksman.

Flo has seen his last days in Dallas. He is old and may only have a year or two left. Some team will pay him well enough for him to leave.
ricowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:26 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Free will win the job IMO.

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:29 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I heard you guys are looking at Zach Thomas. Great idea imo. You guys desperately need leadership, particularly on defense. Don't underestimate how important that is. I didn't realize how huge it is until this year.

I always knew it was important, but i didn't realize how important it really was. Its huge.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:32 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I heard you guys are looking at Zach Thomas. Great idea imo. You guys desperately need leadership, particularly on defense. Don't underestimate how important that is. I didn't realize how huge it is until this year.

I always knew it was important, but i didn't realize how important it really was. Its huge.
An old midget linebacker, injury prone, with his best days behind him. just clogging up playing time that's not there to be taken anyway.
how is this anything but a horrible idea.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:37 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
An old midget linebacker, injury prone, with his best days behind him. just clogging up playing time that's not there to be taken anyway.
well he has 1643 tackles and 19.5 sacks, so i think he might know a little about playing linebacker, and while helping younger players, he could also play a little, just maybe.

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:27 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLiN72 View Post
well he has 1643 tackles and 19.5 sacks, so i think he might know a little about playing linebacker, and while helping younger players, he could also play a little, just maybe.
So we should pick him up because he used to be a great player? Again, Eddie George. Remember how splendid that went?

BoneKrusher
Old 02-20-2008, 12:03 AM    (permalink
bdlyons26
Rookie

bdlyons26 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.bdlyons26 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

im telling you replace zach with roy they have about the same coverage abilities...... ok maybe im being a litte far fetched!
bdlyons26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:51 AM    (permalink
GDWTheSickness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staubach12 View Post
So we should pick him up because he used to be a great player? Again, Eddie George. Remember how splendid that went?
there is a big difference between a 30+ year old RB and a 30+ year old LB though. Leadership qualities would help. If he's cheap and wants to be here why not.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:06 AM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17
We seen what Hamlin did for the DB's this year. He brought leadership qualities that havent been there since Woodson still had run of the shop... I like the pick up of Zach if its cheap and his expectations arent extremely high. Now if he was replacing Akin Ayodele. I could understand bringing him in. It will mean Zach and Burnett will be swapping playing time and unlike Akin. I cant see Zach being pissed at having Burnett spot him a little more often.

We all see how much of a sponge Bradie is(based on his learning from Dat) another teacher with an even bigger resume couldnt hurt his development as not just a Dallas player. But as a Dallas LEADER~!
Old 02-20-2008, 08:08 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_man View Post
Now if he was replacing Akin Ayodele. I could understand bringing him in. It will mean Zach and Burnett will be swapping playing time and unlike Akin. I cant see Zach being pissed at having Burnett spot him a little more often.
That was my thought process, he could replace Akin as a starter, and Burnett sees more base snaps to relief him, and burnett sees the field more...I wouldnt mind it because I know we have somebody behind him at the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:34 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDWTheSickness View Post
there is a big difference between a 30+ year old RB and a 30+ year old LB though. Leadership qualities would help. If he's cheap and wants to be here why not.
Because his seeing the field would stunt the growth of our younger LBs, it would most likely not be the cheapest thing ever, we have much bigger concerns right now, and while leadership is huge, he was a leader of the Dolphins, it's not like he can just walk in and be a leader of this team automatically. The players have to trust him. Plus, he'd most likely get injured right off the bat due to that neck.

BoneKrusher
Old 02-20-2008, 04:52 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Zach has some left in the tank. He was cut more so for money than his inability to hack it anymore.

He'd bring much needed leadership to that defense. He'd bring maturity, accountability, and a level head. The Cowboys tend to get full of themselves when they do well, Thomas would bring some much needed humble pie into the lockerroom. Thats not meant to be taken in a negative way, but I do think you guys can use that lockerroom presence.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:13 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Because his seeing the field would stunt the growth of our younger LBs, it would most likely not be the cheapest thing ever, we have much bigger concerns right now, and while leadership is huge, he was a leader of the Dolphins, it's not like he can just walk in and be a leader of this team automatically. The players have to trust him. Plus, he'd most likely get injured right off the bat due to that neck.
Hamlin stepped in and was an instant leader, its not unheard of...I dont think he will cost that much, and he has MUCH better instincts at ILB then Akin does, him and Bradie in there does make us a stronger unit, Zack is a tackling machine and diagnoses plays like a MLB is supposed to do, we have enough depth at lb to limit his snaps and make sure he finishes the year...

Junior Seau is 39 years old and still playing at a high level, because New England doesnt ask him to be the guy out there, he plays smart, he knows the game, and still makes plays Zach can be that type of guy for us...Im worried about cost as well but at his age he wont require alot of money, he fits in well with us and has a good chance at a title as well...

Quote:
Old 02-20-2008, 08:23 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Hamlin stepped in and was an instant leader, its not unheard of...I dont think he will cost that much, and he has MUCH better instincts at ILB then Akin does, him and Bradie in there does make us a stronger unit, Zack is a tackling machine and diagnoses plays like a MLB is supposed to do, we have enough depth at lb to limit his snaps and make sure he finishes the year...

Junior Seau is 39 years old and still playing at a high level, because New England doesnt ask him to be the guy out there, he plays smart, he knows the game, and still makes plays Zach can be that type of guy for us...Im worried about cost as well but at his age he wont require alot of money, he fits in well with us and has a good chance at a title as well...
Using hamlin as an example is pretty bad if you ask me.. a young, very athletic guy, still with loads of potential, the only reason he was let go was cause of the injuries he had suffered from that bar fight. not to mention that he was brought in at a position where a rookie started 5 or so games at the year before and wasnt all that great.
let me go a little economics on you with this situation....
the opportunity cost of bringing zach thomas is pretty high seeing as playing time can only be divided so much..
the marginal cost of having him take snaps and be on the team, take a roster position, and be a huge injury riskby far outweigh the marginal
benefit of him providing "leadership".

hope that made sense..
i can make a graph if yall want..
lol
Old 02-20-2008, 08:34 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Using hamlin as an example is pretty bad if you ask me.. a young, very athletic guy, still with loads of potential, the only reason he was let go was cause of the injuries he had suffered from that bar fight. not to mention that he was brought in at a position where a rookie started 5 or so games at the year before and wasnt all that great.
let me go a little economics on you with this situation....
the opportunity cost of bringing zach thomas is pretty high seeing as playing time can only be divided so much..
the marginal cost of having him take snaps and be on the team, take a roster position, and be a huge injury riskby far outweigh the marginal
benefit of him providing "leadership".

hope that made sense..
i can make a graph if yall want..
lol

this is what I was responding to...
Quote:
and while leadership is huge, he was a leader of the Dolphins, it's not like he can just walk in and be a leader of this team automatically.

I responded by saying Hamlin was apart of the Seahawks, and he just walked in and was a leader of our defense automatically...What does that have to do with age or athleticism? Being a leader, and being a young athletic guy are two different things...

You can overvalue leadership if you want, because you cant look at it on paper and tell how important it is, or because you as a fan cant tell how important it is to have a guy out there in charge and who knows whats going on...Things like that are hard to gauge, but its obvious how important it was to have Hamlin being a leader for us.

Quote:
Old 02-20-2008, 08:40 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
this is what I was responding to...

I responded by saying Hamlin was apart of the Seahawks, and he just walked in and was a leader of our defense automatically...What does that have to do with age or athleticism? Being a leader, and being a young athletic guy are two different things...

You can overvalue leadership if you want, because you cant look at it on paper and tell how important it is, or because you as a fan cant tell how important it is to have a guy out there in charge and who knows whats going on...Things like that are hard to gauge, but its obvious how important it was to have Hamlin being a leader for us.
It seems like me and you keep bumping heads when it comes to opinion.
but anyway, as far as the hamlin thing, the reason he was brought in was because of the upside he had. I'm sure jerry jones didnt look at him and say "hey, i bet that guy could be a good leader". No, in fact, im sure that was the last thing he had in mind seeing his previous issues.
the only thing i can justify bringing zach thomas in on would be leadership,
and im not sure that's enough to waste a roster spot and
take playing time from our young guys.
Bobby carpenter looked like a stud last year in the playoffs against seattle,
and im pretty positive they can find a place for him in this defense.
the last thing i want is a 1st round pick with loads of potential to go
to waste because he never got to see the field
Old 02-20-2008, 09:23 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
I'm sure jerry jones didnt look at him and say "hey, i bet that guy could be a good leader". No, in fact, im sure that was the last thing he had in mind seeing his previous issues.

Quote:
Hes able to be the quarterback of the defense, coach Wade Phillips said at a Friday news conference from Valley Ranch. Thats what hes shown he could do throughout his career, and hes just getting started. He can help put everybody in the right place.

Well, whats that sound like to you...That was Wade after we signed him.

That wasnt the only reason he was brought in, and that wouldnt be the only reason Zach is brought in either, he still has some gas left in the tank, the leadership is just a bonus.

Quote:
Old 02-20-2008, 09:29 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Am I the only one really freaked out by that neck?!? Maybe if it was an arm or something, but as a LB, if your neck is screwed up, that's going to become a slippery slope. LL, you're right about Hamlin, and I guessed I was proved wrong on that point. However, I still don't think he'd be a good signing.

BoneKrusher
Old 02-20-2008, 10:16 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Am I the only one really freaked out by that neck?!? Maybe if it was an arm or something, but as a LB, if your neck is screwed up, that's going to become a slippery slope. LL, you're right about Hamlin, and I guessed I was proved wrong on that point. However, I still don't think he'd be a good signing.
see dat nguyen
Old 02-20-2008, 10:18 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Your right on the concerns, but Id like to think the physicals pick up on things like that, professionals make sure guys are ok to play...I remember Al Wilson getting traded and it got blocked because he wasnt healthy and everyone thought he was, but thats just a guess, if he's talking to teams im guessing he's good to go...I certainly dont think we need him, but if we can get a Tank Johnson type deal for him, im all for it, be worth the risk to me because if he does go down were not really think at lb.

Quote:
Old 02-20-2008, 10:58 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have been gone for a while. I am excited to dive into it. Hope everyone is good. What a funtime of the season...

Wouldnt it be fair to say that if Zach is cheap, you have to sign him?????

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:23 PM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the only reason you would bring Zach in is if you are going to give Akin the boot. Akin is not splitting time with Burnett as effectively as he should and hes probably costing more then Zach is worth at the moment(assuming a contract with Zach can be done at his actual value at this time)...

Now Zach could split time with Burnett effectively(imo) and would be a great benefit to both Bradie James game(a sponge) and Burnett who IMO is still learning how to play at ILB....

So to sum up(for those who are still against the move)...

Zach should only be brought in if we trade/release Akin(for draft pick NEXT year) and if the price is a good deal.
In bringing him in. The time share issue with Burnett would be much better then what we have with Akin.(imo)
Old 02-22-2008, 11:48 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rumor has it that we may restructure Romo's contract to get Flozell a new deal.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:35 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news.cf...060553EC087556

A good little piece by Eatman. Something I've been saying for a while...the money is tight. There is still a lot of talk going on about Berrian, Stallworth, Samuel...etc. Fact is, after the Hamlin tag, we have about $9 million in cap room. That is nothing and we still have to potentially sign Canty, Barber, Adams, and two firsts. It is going to be tough. Like he said, you can get creative but, you're not going to free up enough space to sign one of these bigger name guys via FA.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 02-22-2008 at 05:37 PM.
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote