Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 02-23-2008, 01:18 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tidbits from the Star-Telegram.

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Cowboys and potential free-agent left tackle Flozell Adams are “in the same neighborhood” for a contract extension, an NFL source said. It would be a multi-year deal, possibly four years.

One NFL source said the Miami Dolphins, which plan to run the 3-4 defense, are not interested in trying to trade for Carpenter. There was some thought he could find a home in Miami via a trade because it was Bill Parcells and Jeff Ireland, both of whom are with the Dolphins now, who selected him in the 2006 draft. But the prevailing belief among NFL people is that Carpenter is a better fit for a 4-3 scheme.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 01:40 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Nice, but I'm having trouble seeing how all of this will work...

We just signed ZT, We are more than likely going to resign Flo (I'm guessing he really wants to be here because you know we aren't offering him what other teams will), Hamlin is tagged, but we still have 2 very important pieces in Canty and Barber that need to be resigned and a pair of first round draft picks....

Now, I am almost certain we trade one of the first rounders. Deion said we were going to as if he knew and most articles I read mention that Jerry is more than happy to part ways with 1 of the first rounders. So maybe that goes towards a trade package in which the salaries balance out or work in our favor but who knows.

I'm guessing we have some big cut's coming. Akin is probably gone, No way we keep all those ILB's. Carp is probably gone, seeing as how he doesn't work in Wade's D. I would expect Burnett to stay because he can work the nickel and step in the base formation if ZT is injured/retires after this year.

This is also tough because next year we will have extensions due on T.O., Newman, and Columbo.

Maybe some guys will restructure their contracts? It looks messy right now, so I think we can all expect some big moves in the next few days.

Last edited by Burns336 : 02-23-2008 at 01:51 PM.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 01:46 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It is very messy....thinking about it more...we could see Akin and Fergy moved/cut soon to free up some cap room (I wouldnt agree w/ an Akin cut, though)...and there has been talk about Romo and Glenn restructuring their deals. Marion, Hamlin, and T.O. extensions would help free up some room as well. But, as of right now...we are right at the brink of cap hell.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 02-23-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:46 PM    (permalink
kingjames
Rookie

kingjames needs more cowbell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
Nice, but I'm having trouble seeing how all of this will work...

We just signed ZT, We are more than likely going to resign Flo (I'm guessing he really wants to be here because you know we aren't offering him what other teams will), Hamlin is tagged, but we still have 2 very important pieces in Canty and Barber that need to be resigned and a pair of first round draft picks....

Now, I am almost certain we trade one of the first rounders. Deion said we were going to as if he knew and most articles I read mention that Jerry is more than happy to part ways with 1 of the first rounders. So maybe that goes towards a trade package in which the salaries balance out or work in our favor but who knows.

I'm guess we have some big cut's coming. Akin is probably gone, No way we keep all those ILB's. Carp is probably gone, seeing as how he doesn't work in Wade's D. I would expect Burnett to stay because he can work the nickel and step in the base formation if ZT is injured/retires after this year.

This is also tough because next year we will have extensions due on T.O., Newman, and Columbo.

Maybe some guys will restructure their contracts? It looks messy right now, so I think we can all expect some big moves in the next few days.
Does look messy doesn't it. Frankly, I am perplexed over some of the moves but I guess they understand what they are doing.

Given the young stars on the team and young talent that needs resigning, why continue to add older vets and re-up money to decent, but older, players?

It is confusing to say the least.
kingjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 03:07 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There are definately going to be some cuts coming soon...I just want Wade to get the personell he needs on defense, get rid of the guys who are just there...I think its almost a given Akin is gone and his contract was pretty high coming in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 05:17 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Well now reports are saying Flo is probably gone after saying that we were in the same neighborhood this morning?

Who knows what will happen, but from what I've read, Jerry has specifically mentioned The Big Red Ugly as the probable starter over and over again.

I also read a quote where Jerry said he though leonard Davis was a great LT and was in a bad situation in AZ and that would also be a possibility.... scary thought.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:43 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Guys....I can't get over this Thomas signing...I really wasn't sure if we would land him...but I have to say that I'm the most excited about this signing...BBD is exactly right...Thomas gives us something our defense hasn't had since Darren Woodson was here....I can't wait.

But anyways this signing gives us something to think about....last year we had a defensive scheme with Carp and Burnett on the field...but that lasted about a week into the season and we never saw it again...and we switched to our dime package....I have a feeling that we might be seeing more of our nickel package this year....with Watkins and Hamlin as our safeties....I'm not sold on this idea yet...but if the coaching staff feels like this gets Roy from getting picked on it might be a great idea.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:56 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
Guys....I can't get over this Thomas signing...I really wasn't sure if we would land him...but I have to say that I'm the most excited about this signing...BBD is exactly right...Thomas gives us something our defense hasn't had since Darren Woodson was here....I can't wait.

But anyways this signing gives us something to think about....last year we had a defensive scheme with Carp and Burnett on the field...but that lasted about a week into the season and we never saw it again...and we switched to our dime package....I have a feeling that we might be seeing more of our nickel package this year....with Watkins and Hamlin as our safeties....I'm not sold on this idea yet...but if the coaching staff feels like this gets Roy from getting picked on it might be a great idea.
I love it from a locker room perspective. There were too many distractions last year and this team opened their mouth too much. We were very undisciplined with the way we handled our regular season success. The addition of Thomas and the pain of last year should do wonders for the maturity of this team, which was our biggest weakness (next to the secondary, haha) last year.

From a playing standpoint I like the move because Akin sucks. I also think Thomas can be good for Burnett. Bradie James is what he is. He's solid. But Burnett has the ability to be more than that and I think Thomas could be great for his development. Especially if Burnett is going to take over the role that Thomas will be playing this year.

The only negative I can see is if Burnett's moral drops since he wont be starting.

I hope this takes Roy out of the nickel as well. I would rather have Thomas and Burnett on the field over him. I'm not sure if Thomas can play that many snaps, but I'm completely over Roy Williams and his lack of impact on this team.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:58 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Remember Roy played in the Dime not the Nickel....we ran a nickel formation in preseason and in week 1...and that was the last time i saw it.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 02-23-2008, 07:34 PM    (permalink
kingjames
Rookie

kingjames needs more cowbell.

Zach Thomas an upgrade as a 3-4 ILB w/o a stud NT to protect him?

Sounds much like the rationale for the Tank Johnson signing FWIW. Basically he was available, cheapish and cost Jerry none of his draft picks so they took a flyer on him.

When you drive a Ferrari you normally don't buy Bentley spare parts. But ya know what, my read is Jones is slowly moving the team's personnel back to 4-3.
kingjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:29 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't you mean "Jerrah"?

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 11:50 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

How worried are you guys about your LT situation right now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 11:54 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post
Hard to be extremely worried...because right now we "can" afford to sign Flozell...and both sides are in the same ball park....

As a fan you just have to trust that the coaching staff knows what we have behind him...and if we let him go that we already have someone waiting in the wings.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 02-24-2008, 12:33 AM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjames View Post
But ya know what, my read is Jones is slowly moving the team's personnel back to 4-3.
Hah! And what would be Jones' plan for our best defensive player, Ware?

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:37 AM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post
Lets face it; we need to conserve cash, and the staff really likes Big Red. I think would be better of saving that cap space and letting McQ take over.

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:09 AM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staubach12
Hah! And what would be Jones' plan for our best defensive player, Ware?
Trade him... You know. Because the 4-3 is soo much more important then a beast at attacking the QB...

I dont think Burnett's morale drops any further then its at at the moment. Remember this guy has been a backup since he was drafted(including last year)... Another year backing up arguably the best ILB of the last ten years cant hurt his development...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10
Considering that Flo and Gurode are the only players on our line currently who werent signed off free agency... Im a little bit worried. We havent draft very well on the line for a good 5 years now. And we are looking at replacing the best Lineman(in the most important position) we have with a guy we drafted...

Im definately worried. And im gonna need more then reassuring words before I think this is a great tradeoff. I am going to need to see him play... and play WELL~!

Does anyone think that Jake Long is good enough that we trade out our entire first round to a team like the Rams to nab him if he drops? Assuming we cant get Flo back...
Old 02-24-2008, 05:38 AM    (permalink
SweatThePipe
Rookie

SweatThePipe hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

As a 13-3 team, we can't go changing up the O-Line. It is important to keep this group in tact. Maybe upgrade Kosier, but even that is iffy.
SweatThePipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:45 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Everyone needs to remember the Colts, they plugged in tony Ugoh in their line and their consistency stayed the same...They didnt feel like they needed to keep Tarik Glenn did they? No, they also didnt feel they needed to trade up and get a top 5 prospect, they had faith in who they drafted, and he played like a beast.

Just because we won alot of games, doesnt mean we have to keep the exact same O line otherwise it wont work, if you look around the league it happens all the time, we can be just as good without Flozell.

Quote:
Old 02-24-2008, 05:59 AM    (permalink
SweatThePipe
Rookie

SweatThePipe hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I would say that is the exception, not the rule.
SweatThePipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 07:40 AM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend
Everyone needs to remember the Colts, they plugged in tony Ugoh in their line and their consistency stayed the same...They didnt feel like they needed to keep Tarik Glenn did they? No, they also didnt feel they needed to trade up and get a top 5 prospect, they had faith in who they drafted, and he played like a beast.

Just because we won alot of games, doesnt mean we have to keep the exact same O line otherwise it wont work, if you look around the league it happens all the time, we can be just as good without Flozell.
And how did that faith work out with Stephen Peterman? Rob Pettiti? Jacob Rogers? Tyson Walter? Matt Lehr? Torrin Tucker? Kurt Vollers?

Doug Free and Pat McQuistan up till this point?

Either we havent had good enough catches along the offensive line or we flat out do NOT draft well.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:38 PM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_man View Post
Trade him... You know. Because the 4-3 is soo much more important then a beast at attacking the QB...

I dont think Burnett's morale drops any further then its at at the moment. Remember this guy has been a backup since he was drafted(including last year)... Another year backing up arguably the best ILB of the last ten years cant hurt his development...

Considering that Flo and Gurode are the only players on our line currently who werent signed off free agency... Im a little bit worried. We havent draft very well on the line for a good 5 years now. And we are looking at replacing the best Lineman(in the most important position) we have with a guy we drafted...

Im definately worried. And im gonna need more then reassuring words before I think this is a great tradeoff. I am going to need to see him play... and play WELL~!

Does anyone think that Jake Long is good enough that we trade out our entire first round to a team like the Rams to nab him if he drops? Assuming we cant get Flo back...
No, not for Jake Long. Maybe Ryan Clady. He's more of a true LT.
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:40 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

The only guy Dallas would trade both picks for is Mcfadden. JJ sounds confident in McQ, if it comes to that.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 02-24-2008, 12:48 PM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
The only guy Dallas would trade both picks for is Mcfadden. JJ sounds confident in McQ, if it comes to that.
Yeah, I agree. I just meant that if you were going to trade up for a LT in the first, Clady would be a better choice than Long.
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:59 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Brand spankin new JJ interview....

http://www.kvue.com/sharedcontent/dw...e.3147d96.html

Some notables...

On moving up to the top of the draft to possibly take McFadden
I don't want to get into a real strategy, as far as going forward here the next few weeks, but I don't see any guy today where we'd make some big trade for the first pick up there. I guess that's what we're all alluding to. There's absolutely not been one breath of discussion with anybody about going up there to get the one or two or three pick. (They're just talking #1 overall here)

On bouncing back in 2008
In our particular case, we've got a better quarterback, Tony Romo, than we had starting last season now going into this season. That's big. And I think we have a chance to put some more "wow" in this offense. That's my No. 1 goal in this off-season. And that's not to imply, with the third-best offense in the league, that I was disappointed in the "wow."

On adding a running back
Without Julius Jones signed, it's obvious we need to look at running back. How we get there might surprise you. It can be, but it's not necessarily, drafting one.

On Terry Glenn's return
My gut and my feel is he's going to come back and play without surgery. ... All I know is he got real impressive a couple weeks before our playoff game. That still is not the complete picture of what he can and will do relative to our receivers. But he's going be a factor.

On Flozell Adams hitting the open market
I don't know about that, but I would certainly say this he's not franchised, and I couldn't tell you we'll get a deal done in the timeframe we're talking about. But we're interested in signing Flozell.

On Leonard Davis playing left tackle
He's a very viable option at left tackle. The obvious is the obvious you lose a Pro Bowl right guard if he goes to that tackle, which is a major consideration.

On Roy Williams' production
I think that we can expect a much more productive Roy Williams this coming year. That would imply that he had room to make more production, and I think there are several things I think Roy will know and better deal with the Roy Williams' rule.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 02-24-2008, 11:45 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Good stuff, Jerry has been vocal about adding playmakers to our offense, he's gone on record and said it more then a few times, and I think thats one of the few sure things we know right now...Which means rb and wr, now im not sure who is likes the most or what guys he is planning on taking, but he wants playmakers in place and I expect that to happen...

Quote: