Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 06-01-2008, 01:01 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think he's eve a realistic option for us...I woud love to hear Greg Ellis' feelings on bringing him in, more stuff to complain about...He could give us an added pass rush but I don't thnk we need him all that badly, not for the attention it brings, extra cost, and less snaps that Spencer will be able to get...Only two positions I'd be interested in bringing in were D lineman or another Safety on defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:07 AM    (permalink
dc4life
Rookie

dc4life needs more cowbell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I don't think he's eve a realistic option for us...I woud love to hear Greg Ellis' feelings on bringing him in, more stuff to complain about...He could give us an added pass rush but I don't thnk we need him all that badly, not for the attention it brings, extra cost, and less snaps that Spencer will be able to get...Only two positions I'd be interested in bringing in were D lineman or another Safety on defense.
I don't think we need him either. I'd be interested in bringing in a vet receiver. Heard Doug Gabriel got cut. Whats that all about? Anyways, did you want another S for depth purposes, or cause of Roy, or because Hamlin might hold out? Some of the Dallas writers are really high on Courtney Brown right now.
dc4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 02:56 AM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What about trading Ellis for Jason Taylor...

I would honestly prefer to keep Ellis as he seems closer to retirement then Taylor. But with the last three offseasons being dominated by Ellis having a cry about something. Trading him and getting some serious value for him would be nice.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:59 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What do you mean by serious value? You're gonna get any production that Taylor brings by having Ellis in the lineup, so if you're just gonna rent him for a year, why in the heck would you trade him? If he does come out and announce that this will be his last year, i don't see the Dolphins trading him. They're gonna kick themselves for not taking what they could get during the draft, so they're gonna lose a crap load of leverage if he comes out and says that. Let him be, let him dance and wreak havoc in Miami, cause there's no room for him in Dallas.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:43 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc4life View Post
I don't think we need him either. I'd be interested in bringing in a vet receiver. Heard Doug Gabriel got cut. Whats that all about? Anyways, did you want another S for depth purposes, or cause of Roy, or because Hamlin might hold out? Some of the Dallas writers are really high on Courtney Brown right now.
I love all that Courtney Brown talk, he has all the measurables, 4.3 speed,41 inch vertical, now he has added the weight, he just needs to make some plays during pre-season and show he belongs out there, as of now its just hype but encouraging...There aren't really safeties available but cuts haven't happene yet, I'd be interested in another in the box safety if one came available to cover Roy Williams leavig in a yr, Hamlin should be resigned...I also wouldn't mind a vet WR but that would ony be nice if we knew Glenn for sure wasn't going to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_man View Post
What about trading Ellis for Jason Taylor...

I would honestly prefer to keep Ellis as he seems closer to retirement then Taylor. But with the last three offseasons being dominated by Ellis having a cry about something. Trading him and getting some serious value for him would be nice.
Well you have to ask yourself does Miami want another older player? They are rebuilding and getting younger, Ellis does not really fit that mold, so it seems like they would want a decent pick or a younger player...Also his salary is in the ball park of 7 million dollars, that's a pretty high payroll.

Quote:
Old 06-01-2008, 06:56 PM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend
Well you have to ask yourself does Miami want another older player? They are rebuilding and getting younger, Ellis does not really fit that mold, so it seems like they would want a decent pick or a younger player...Also his salary is in the ball park of 7 million dollars, that's a pretty high payroll.
Parcell's would probably look at the situation the same way I do. Both can do pretty much the same job. But its the devil you know rather then the devil you dont. Ellis closer to retirement in Miami helping the Dolphins kids who are nowhere near as close to starters as the ones we have... So he should be less trouble for them.

We are basically swapping eachother's dirty laundry. I assume that both are on comparable contracts. Taylor could probably play outside... but he would be the best option we have on any four man fronts.

We shouldnt(having seen first hand) underestimate the value that Parcell's puts on "his" guys. Just a matter of whether he sees Ellis as one of his guys.

Thats not to say I think it should happen. If Ellis' spats are just annual **** talking... And its not effecting the team in any way. I would keep him around without a doubt. Like Zach... Both are closer to retirement thus it gives us more of a chance to give our younger guys time on the field.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:16 AM    (permalink
dpl85
Pro Bowler

dpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Does anyone know enough about the salary cap to know if we were to cut Roy after this season would it free up enough space to lock Hamlin up long term? I think Hamlin could move to SS pretty easily and hopefully Courtney Brown or Pat Watkins could play FS adequately.

I was watching the Blitz on the CBS station in Dallas and Tony Romo gave a pretty insightful interview about what he wanted to improve on from last year. He talked mostly about his footwork in the pocket and pocket presence. It might be on the cbs11, cowboys site or maybe youtube for those outside DFW.
dpl85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:52 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

I can't find anything concrete now, but it looks like we are in really good shape, people will assume we are tight because of the two contracts we just gave out, but we are sitting pretty to re-sign Hamlin, Canty, TO, and a few other role players or free agents...I fully expect all 3 of those guys to be locked up and those are the priority guys right now.

Quote:
Old 06-02-2008, 05:01 AM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

Latest Spagnola has continued to say in his questions column was that we are STUCK with Roy for the next year(or two) as it would cost far too much to straight out release him.

We probably assuming we have somehow come up with a magical amount of $$$ could release Roy but it wouldnt help get Hamlin signed in any way and it would(regardless of what people think) mean a drop in talent at the position.

We are stuck with Roy. All we can do is maximise his positives and do our best to hide his faults.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:20 AM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc4life View Post
Jason Taylor is expected to formally demand a trade from the Dolphins at an 11:30AM ET press conference on Sunday.
The Dolphins already know about this from Taylor's agent, but it'll come directly from the six-time Pro Bowler's mouth on Sunday. According to the Miami Herald, Taylor will announce he wants to play for a contender and that 2008 will be his final season in the NFL. Taylor will also say he's skipping next week's mandatory minicamp, which will cost him $8,638 in daily fines.
Source: Miami Herald
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this is true, we shouldn't even consider trading for him if he only wants to play for 1 more season.
I hope the Cowboys don't take that bait. Why trade for a guy who they already know is only going to play for one more year?
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:51 AM    (permalink
td#33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpl85 View Post
I was watching the Blitz on the CBS station in Dallas and Tony Romo gave a pretty insightful interview about what he wanted to improve on from last year. He talked mostly about his footwork in the pocket and pocket presence.
What else did he reveal?
Old 06-02-2008, 10:54 AM    (permalink
td#33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I love all that Courtney Brown talk, he has all the measurables, 4.3 speed,41 inch vertical, now he has added the weight, he just needs to make some plays during pre-season and show he belongs out there, as of now its just hype but encouraging...
Yeah, we got some athletes back their now. Should be interesting with the youth and speed. Good to see the young guys making it.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:59 PM    (permalink
dc4life
Rookie

dc4life needs more cowbell.

Dolphins reporter Armando Salguero says he's told that Jason Taylor would "happily" redo his contract to expedite a trade to Dallas.
Salguero says Taylor would consider playing beyond 2008 if a deal is made and suggests a Greg Ellis-for-Taylor swap. NFL Network's Adam Schefter reported last week that Dallas has internally discussed dealing for Taylor.
Source: Miami Herald
Related: Cowboys
__________________________________________________ __________________

Speak of the devil... lol
dc4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 02:44 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gotta love the rumors. hahahahahhaha.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 02:50 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Not happening, of course Taylor would be happy to play here,why wouldn't he? I just don't think this rumor as any legs to it, other then people speculating we are interested, but we are "interested" in every big name FA that is available...

Quote:
Old 06-02-2008, 04:06 PM    (permalink
dpl85
Pro Bowler

dpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by td#33 View Post
What else did he reveal?
It was kinda complicated but he said he and other QBs have a tendency to step up in the pocket as he goes through the reads and progressions and it creates an easier opportunity for d-linemen to sack him. It also makes it more difficult for the o-linemen to keep blockers off him. He also talked about standing tall in the pocket to get more velocity on the long throws and cited Tom Brady as the ideal QB at doing this.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:27 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

D's boy Lynch supposedly had a hit and run on monday supposedly running into a lady and not calling the cops to report it...be interesting to see if anything leads back to him....thug :P

Just thinking here....what if

I know thats a stupid thing to say...but it's slow so why not.

Glenn doesn't take the ultimatum...and sits out all TC....and Chad Johnson really does show up for manditory sessions but doesn't participate....I'm still banking on this to be a likely possibility come post training camp.

While talking about unlikely scenarios...I'd like to throw out that I wouldn't be surprised to see a ellis/taylor deal.

We want to use ellis as a pashrush specialist. He isn't happy with that. Spencers probably isn't quite ready to be playing all those snaps....so taylor is the perfect fit. Wants one year and to call it quits....allows spencer to get another year of polishing...

Dal/Mia trades seem to work really smooth..so if the rumors are true about Taylor willing to restructure then I'm going to chalk this one up on my list of good moves.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:53 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After the deal T.O. just got...I'd say there is no chance that we add a Chad Johnson caliber receiver this year or next. We cant afford that...re-signing your own players is totally different but, we dont have the room to sign Chad or a Roy Williams to a massive contract that would exceed the amount Owens makes. That just doesnt work at all now...add that to the fact that we will need to sign Hamlin, Canty, and Ware. Dont let the recent spending fool you...we're not in excellent shape to be signing outside talent, that will command top dollar...especially in today's inflated market. We should all just be happy that we have found a way to keep all the talent we already have.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 06-03-2008 at 08:59 AM.
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:47 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
After the deal T.O. just got...I'd say there is no chance that we add a Chad Johnson caliber receiver this year or next. We cant afford that...re-signing your own players is totally different but, we dont have the room to sign Chad or a Roy Williams to a massive contract that would exceed the amount Owens makes. That just doesnt work at all now...add that to the fact that we will need to sign Hamlin, Canty, and Ware. Dont let the recent spending fool you...we're not in excellent shape to be signing outside talent, that will command top dollar...especially in today's inflated market. We should all just be happy that we have found a way to keep all the talent we already have.
I agree 100%...I think we are fine with re-signing in house talent, but in terms of bringing in another contract like Chad or Roy I don't know how it would work...Besides i don't think we need another guy like Chad right now, seems overkill I don't know, i wouldn't mind another WR in to replace Glenn for a year or 2, but until some of these other veterans leave I'm not sure we can afford to bring an outside contract in like some of those other guys.

Quote:
Old 06-03-2008, 12:25 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Breaking news on ESPN...

Chad Johnson to return to Bengals and play for them this season.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 06-03-2008 at 12:30 PM.
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 01:26 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Wonder how that works out, he really threw them under the bus this off-season, in the worst way...Makes me wonder how Carson or the rest of the team will embrace him now, he is stuck there for a few more years at least.

Quote:
Old 06-03-2008, 03:15 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm sure they'll all just hug and make up, cause it was very unlikely Chad was gonna go play for a better offense, and there's no way in hell the Bungles were gonna find someone of Johnsons' caliber to replace him with.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:39 PM    (permalink
dpl85
Pro Bowler

There's a press conference right now with Jerry TO and Rosenhaus, pretty much par for the course nothing you wouldn't expect.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:06 PM    (permalink
Hwoarang
Veteran

Hwoarang is a cocksman.Hwoarang is a cocksman.Hwoarang is a cocksman.

There's been rumors that the Saints are willing to trade Devery to Dallas for Bobby Carpenter straight up. Anyone else hear them?
Hwoarang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:10 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwoarang View Post
There's been rumors that the Saints are willing to trade Devery to Dallas for Bobby Carpenter straight up. Anyone else hear them?
The Cowboys would be complete morons if they did that. There's no way in hell that's happening.