Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 06-14-2008, 02:43 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staubach12 View Post
Let's say Glenn doesn't take the ultimatum. Plus, I'm not so sure Austin will make the roster. That puts us here:

Owens, Crayton, Hurd, Stanback, Amendola.

Do we need another guy? Not really, but I wouldn't mind having Jones on the roster. He'd be good depth and hell, maybe Garrett could find a way to use him.
I had to laugh when the guy who wrote that article was none other than Chris Mortenson. He's the worst of the worst at anything and everything.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 02:46 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hahaha I know. I read that just chuckling to myself.

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 02:56 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I still have to learn how to like Felix. You don't understand how pissed I was when we passed on Jenkins. Trading up for Jenkins was a saving grace.

If I had my way still today, I feel the same way as draft day... I would've taken Jenkins 1a and Devin Thomas 1b and Jamaal Charles in Round 2.

That would've been an A+ draft for me and I wouldn't have cared what we did on Day 2. Thomas and Charles >>>>>>>> Bennett and Jones, imo.
I have to learn as well, and will happily eat a nice plate of crow if I'm wrong, but I would gladly of taken Felix and Jenkins in the 1st, but we should of at the very least made a jump up for Sweed before Pittsburgh at 23...The cost to jump from about 62 where our 2nd was, up to the 55 range where Sweed was taken, would of cost one of those 4th rd picks that we kept trading away rapid fire, and maybe a 5th next year...Well worth it at that point, Sweed is good value in the 2nd, and I think we would of preferred him or Hardy over Bennett...Hardy would of cost more, but at that point I think we should of moved up for someone, we had two of our hugest needs already, grabbing one of those WR's would of had us sitting pretty for the 2nd day.

I'm pretty sure we could of still found a way to land another Rb and OLB late in the draft...Ideally I would of preferred your scenario of Jenkins and Thomas, too bad Jerry didn't feel the same but I'll hope Felix makes me change my mind on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Last edited by LonghornsLegend : 06-14-2008 at 02:59 PM.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 03:11 PM    (permalink
Go Cowboys
Pro Bowler

Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I have to learn as well, and will happily eat a nice plate of crow if I'm wrong, but I would gladly of taken Felix and Jenkins in the 1st, but we should of at the very least made a jump up for Sweed before Pittsburgh at 23...The cost to jump from about 62 where our 2nd was, up to the 55 range where Sweed was taken, would of cost one of those 4th rd picks that we kept trading away rapid fire, and maybe a 5th next year...Well worth it at that point, Sweed is good value in the 2nd, and I think we would of preferred him or Hardy over Bennett...Hardy would of cost more, but at that point I think we should of moved up for someone, we had two of our hugest needs already, grabbing one of those WR's would of had us sitting pretty for the 2nd day.

I'm pretty sure we could of still found a way to land another Rb and OLB late in the draft...Ideally I would of preferred your scenario of Jenkins and Thomas, too bad Jerry didn't feel the same but I'll hope Felix makes me change my mind on that.
I agree I would have gladly taken Sweed over Bennet but we all have to learn to live with what we have.

Thanks to bonekrusher for the sig
Go Cowboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 03:14 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I for one loved the Felix pick. :D

Anyway, Matt Jones is terrible. He's still incredibally raw and is noted as being lackadasical and lazy. He plays half-assed most of the time and rounds off all his routes. blah.

As for Austin not making the team...I'd say the chances are pretty low of that happening. Amendola is not much of a threat and Ray Sherman, among others, have really been talking Austin up this off-season. He certainly could have a bad preseason and see his way out but, if he is atleast semi-consistant...his skill set should def. get him a spot on the team. At the end of the year, he was frequently targeted on fly routes or as a deep threat in general. At this very point...I'd say he is pretty safe.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 03:25 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
Let's say Glenn doesn't take the ultimatum. Plus, I'm not so sure Austin will make the roster. That puts us here:

Owens, Crayton, Hurd, Stanback, Amendola.

Do we need another guy? Not really, but I wouldn't mind having Jones on the roster. He'd be good depth and hell, maybe Garrett could find a way to use him.
Amendola is all Rookie OTA hype. I haven't even heard his name since the vets got involved. He'll probably be practice squad if anything.

However, I have heard a lot of good things about Miles Austin lately. Catching everything thrown his way and showing off that Burner speed.

I'd rather see Crayton in the slot on a consistent basis with Austin outside.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 04:16 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Cowboys View Post
I agree I would have gladly taken Sweed over Bennet but we all have to learn to live with what we have.
Ain't that the truth.

But damn, Mike Jenkins, Devin Thomas and Jamaal Charles would've been insane.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:17 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
I for one loved the Felix pick. :D

Anyway, Matt Jones is terrible. He's still incredibally raw and is noted as being lackadasical and lazy. He plays half-assed most of the time and rounds off all his routes. blah.

As for Austin not making the team...I'd say the chances are pretty low of that happening. Amendola is not much of a threat and Ray Sherman, among others, have really been talking Austin up this off-season. He certainly could have a bad preseason and see his way out but, if he is atleast semi-consistant...his skill set should def. get him a spot on the team. At the end of the year, he was frequently targeted on fly routes or as a deep threat in general. At this very point...I'd say he is pretty safe.
Where did Cory Boyd end up?
Old 06-14-2008, 09:04 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Where did Cory Boyd end up?
Bucs drafted him. That's a nice fit and a good opportunity for him.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 06-14-2008, 09:31 PM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bentley was just released from the Browns... Two years out with a bum Knee... If I were Jerry I would at least offer him a 2 year Vet minimum. He wont be ready to play this year. But a full season as a backup for the Cowboys before possibly pushing for Kosier's spot or forcing Gurode to the LG spot doesnt suck imo...

Just wonder whether there will be a market for him...
Old 06-14-2008, 09:40 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is Austin's 3rd year, the year when you typically see some strides, and he has been looking good vs the vets out there, he just has to show some consistency in catching balls in the games to show he can be on the field at crucial times...He has that Roddy White thing going on right now, hopefully he can break out of it the way White did, remember Roddy was burning DB's left and right but couldn't catch a cold, but this year it all came together for him, I'm hoping for the same with Austin...He has speed and size to be a #1 target in this league, but I have to see him come up with a few big time catches to have faith in giving him game snaps and throwing to him in crucial situations...Hurd has proven you can go to him in those situations, right now Austin is more measurables then anything, but I'm really hoping to see an increase...I doubt he gets cut quite yet either, unless he stinks it up in pre season, most of our guys are young, we will see what we have first.

Quote:
Old 06-14-2008, 09:44 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really don't have a lot of faith in Austin coming through this year. Until he can prove he can catch the ball consistently, he's just a so so decoy. Stanback is the one I want to see this year. His durability is a question mark, but if he can stay healthy it'll be interesting.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:46 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
I really don't have a lot of faith in Austin coming through this year. Until he can prove he can catch the ball consistently, he's just a so so decoy. Stanback is the one I want to see this year. His durability is a question mark, but if he can stay healthy it'll be interesting.
Yeah, I want Stanback taking Austin's reps.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:13 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Damn, all the sudden Austin's getting a lot of talk around here. Anyway, I'd love to see Stanback take reps from Austin. Right now, I'm actually hoping Glenn gets released. With him gone and Crayton in the slot, Hurd would be working out of the base, set which would do wonders for his development IMO. Also, with the more wide open looks we got this year, we could see Austin and Stanback fighting for time. To tell the truth, I believe that Stanback will turn out to be a very good player. Getting the reviews he's gotten after switching positions only a year go, the guy really is getting there.

BoneKrusher
Old 06-15-2008, 01:20 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

I still think Terry will be playing for us but, if he doesnt. I would love for the outside receivers to be T.O. and Hurd. I like that idea a lot actually...as it stands now, though. Crayton has still been working out at the two currently, while Glenn is out and Hurd is T.O.'s primary backup on the other side and is getting the slot reps. This could be subject to change if for some reason Terry cant go, though...but, Crayton would certainly still have the inside track at starting. Hurd would have to earn that spot and I def. think he could do just that. We'll see, I still see Terry back though...so, i dont really think it will come to this.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 06-15-2008, 01:32 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Well Crayton did have some damn good games out of the outside #2 role, the Green Bay comes to mind where he beat Al Harris in man coverage repeatedly which shouldn't be over looked, and it's only normal to think he will improve like the rest of the guys...He might me more natural out of the slot and I agree with that, one thing people don't notice is how good he is at finding the soft spot in defenses...He knows how to find the area to get open especially when Romo is scrambling.

Out of Austin and Stanback I don't care who gets the reps as long as its the guy who has been performing the best in practice...I want somebody to earn that role, and show they need to be on the field more, Crayton had to do that with us, Hurd has already made plenty of plays the same way...I think we will see both this year in games at some point, but I think Stanback could be nice out of the slot as well.

Quote:
Old 06-15-2008, 01:40 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Dont get me wrong...I like Crayton, he played well as the 2 last season. I know there was a lot of complaining about him but, he had a nice season, a year ago. I've been saying it for a while, that it was only his 1st year starting so, he should see a natural progression as well...he should be a better receiver this season. The fact that I like Hurd on the outside, is just because, Crayton is a better slot option and I think Hurd, atleast, imo...has a higher upside than Patrick. I dont think it would be likely but, he should be given every opportunity to start if Terry couldnt go....but, anyway I have full confidence in Crayton as our #2...it was just an idea. I'm happy w/ either of those two starting. Hurd would have to really impress the coaches for a change like that to occur, though.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 06-15-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:45 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
Damn, all the sudden Austin's getting a lot of talk around here. Anyway, I'd love to see Stanback take reps from Austin. Right now, I'm actually hoping Glenn gets released. With him gone and Crayton in the slot, Hurd would be working out of the base, set which would do wonders for his development IMO. Also, with the more wide open looks we got this year, we could see Austin and Stanback fighting for time. To tell the truth, I believe that Stanback will turn out to be a very good player. Getting the reviews he's gotten after switching positions only a year go, the guy really is getting there.
I want Glenn to get cut too, I doubt he can even get through 3 games. I'd love to start working in the young guys. I think we could have a system like the packers/pats implemented last year where all 5 guys could see time.

Obviously T.O. and Crayton would be the primary guys and hurd would be getting more than Austin and Stanback, but it would be nice to see everyone worked it.

We don't even need TG. We didn't need him last year, and we don't him this year. Especially if guys like Austin and Stanback can show any sort of improvement.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:50 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

I definately think a WR by committee approach could work, TO and Witten will garner alot of attention but they open things up for everyone else...Austin can come in outside and stretch the defense, I too think Hurd can line up outside and be solid(I can't wait to pick him up in all my dynasty leagues and hype him up all year :) )...I think its an exciting year for our WR, our of Hurd, Austin, Stanback we are going to have a diamond in the rough, each guy is young with potential, and TO has at least 3 years left for somebody to emerge...I'll be the first to admit if TO goes down then things change, because he's vital to take attention away from other guys, but with him and Witten I'm comfortable with the guys we have.

Hurd has gotten alot better each year and at his age I feel he is going to continue to improve, Austin has everything going for him except sure hands, if we see that we could have something, and Stanback just looks explosive when he is on the field, he looks like a weapon being the most explosive out of the group...I'm perfectly fine with letting Glenn go and giving these guys more reps.

Quote:
Old 06-15-2008, 01:54 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Cant make it through three games? You should probably reserve some judgement on that. Where is that coming from? That is like all those comments on the DMN blog by people that think he doesnt even have a knee anymore. I dont know why you would want to cut him before, you even see what he has left in the tank. I know you cant believe everything you read/hear but, everything about Terry's rahabilitation has been positive. Hell, a few weeks ago, the DMN blog was posting thoughts on his fantasy impact for this year and how he is a sleeper pick. Things have turned since we heard of this injury waiver but, nothing medical has changed. His knee is supposedly in a good place right now...he can only help us. There is no reason to cut him prematurely. I dont think that will be the case, either. He should be back this season.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 06-15-2008 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:00 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I definately think a WR by committee approach could work, TO and Witten will garner alot of attention but they open things up for everyone else...Austin can come in outside and stretch the defense, I too think Hurd can line up outside and be solid(I can't wait to pick him up in all my dynasty leagues and hype him up all year :) )...I think its an exciting year for our WR, our of Hurd, Austin, Stanback we are going to have a diamond in the rough, each guy is young with potential, and TO has at least 3 years left for somebody to emerge...I'll be the first to admit if TO goes down then things change, because he's vital to take attention away from other guys, but with him and Witten I'm comfortable with the guys we have.

Hurd has gotten alot better each year and at his age I feel he is going to continue to improve, Austin has everything going for him except sure hands, if we see that we could have something, and Stanback just looks explosive when he is on the field, he looks like a weapon being the most explosive out of the group...I'm perfectly fine with letting Glenn go and giving these guys more reps.
If T.O. goes down, Sam Hurd is his back up. So, we'll be fine. This is when Sammy steps up and becomes a SUPER STAR. :) haha. It would be nice.

God, I cant wait for the season to begin already.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 06-15-2008, 02:46 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

I totally agree with MOTH on WR placement. Crayton is very effective from the slot and Hurd has better upisde (believe it or not, Crayton is 29). Those lead me to want to put Crayton in the slot and Hurd out wide at flanker.

By the way, if TO goes down, here's what I wouldn't be surprised to see: Sammy at 1, Cayton at 2, Witten in the slot, and Bennett at TE.

BoneKrusher
Old 06-15-2008, 03:20 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

I've been watching last season's games throughout the day today and I must say... Bradie James is worse than I thought.

God, if the pressure ever shifts off of Roy, James will be exposed.

He is so terrible, I can't even begin to imagine how this guy became the leader of the D. He constantly overrunes plays, he constantly misses tackles (which is supposed to be his strong suit; the big run thumper/sure tackler) and he can't cover for ****.

Roy is equally terrible.

You guys should go back and watch a few games, it's alot different when you watch the game after you already know what happens because you're not following the ball as much, you aren't nervous or jumping out of your seat. You can just sit back and critique individual players and sometimes is disgusting.

If anyone wants his worst game of the season, please see the detroit game. God awful play by james and williams
Old 06-15-2008, 03:34 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

DC.com poll right now.

Which young receiver has the most potential?

I'm actually surprised at the voting because, he is the oft-forgotten one or the least talked about it seems...but my boy, Sammy Hurd, leading the way in the voting. Then Stanback, Miles, Amendola.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 06-15-2008, 08:48 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Another note after watching some old games today -- Pat Watkins is a much better tackler than his frame would lead you to believe. He really throws his shoulder into guys and puts them down. I was pretty impressed on his improvement from a positioning standpoint when comparing his first 2 seasons.

He really put himself in a position to make tackles. Now he needs to put himself in a position to make plays if he wants to take that next step.

To clarify on my impressions of Bradie James -- He looks really clumsy/sloppy/uncoordinated