Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 08-01-2008, 04:44 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staubach12 View Post
If you don't want Pacman running back kicks, you're insane.
Adam Jones needs to be our full time Punt Returner. Definitely.

Felix, Isaiah, Miles and T-New can battle out the chances at Kickoff returns.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:17 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Adam Jones needs to be our full time Punt Returner. Definitely.

Felix, Isaiah, Miles and T-New can battle out the chances at Kickoff returns.
I would never even think of putting my 3rd most important player back returning kickoffs.

And as far as you go Staubach...I'm giving the nod to Felix and Stanback..because I like their straight line speed better than anyone elses.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:52 AM    (permalink
johnstonolb
Rookie

johnstonolb is a cocksman.johnstonolb is a cocksman.johnstonolb is a cocksman.johnstonolb is a cocksman.

Speaking ST: am I the only one not that impressed with Nick Folk?

I know the Buffalo kick got him to the Pro Bowl but his kickoffs are not very good it seems and his accuracy dropped off (it seemed) later in the season.

Thoughts?

Also, we definately need to put Jones and Jones returning kicks -- as good as any pair I think. Felix was great i ncollege and Adam was good period.

As backups, I would get Stanback for PR if possible given his wiggle skills and Austin at KR because of his overall speed and "one cut" mentality/acceleration.
johnstonolb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:05 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstonolb View Post
Speaking ST: am I the only one not that impressed with Nick Folk?

I know the Buffalo kick got him to the Pro Bowl but his kickoffs are not very good it seems and his accuracy dropped off (it seemed) later in the season.

Thoughts?

Also, we definately need to put Jones and Jones returning kicks -- as good as any pair I think. Felix was great i ncollege and Adam was good period.

As backups, I would get Stanback for PR if possible given his wiggle skills and Austin at KR because of his overall speed and "one cut" mentality/acceleration.
I would definately say your about the only one disappointed in Folk...for once in my cowboys watching life...I'm not holding my breathe every kick.

The only reason I elected to have Stanback as the other back is because of his size...AJ isn't big by any means..and isn't ever asked to block...offensive players are asked to block and trained to do so....which is why I gave the nod to Stanback over AJ.

Stanback had trouble fielding punts last year...and had never done it prior to last year...he isn't even getting reps this year...cuz we are 4 deep already...with Crayton/AJ/Newman/Amendola I wouldn't hold your breathe at Stanback getting a chance anytime soon in the regular season.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 08-01-2008, 01:12 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Stanback has reportedly been looking very good returning kicks, very explosive, and there are quite a few reverses already chalked up for him...It's quite evident the explosion this guy has, he is still going through the learning curve at WR but we could really have a find with him...I want to see him get a few screen play opportunities on offense to see how well he runs after the catch, he seems like a Jennings type that can catch the ball in space and turn it upfield...I just hope he gets the fundamentals down, but being his 2nd year I'm not expecting the world yet...It is good he is healthy and going through a full off-season because he needs it.

On Kickoffs either Stanback, Felix, or Adam Jones would be nice...Even if Adam locked up punts I think we would see him as a situation KR, thats the same thing Tennessee did, he wasn't a full time KR but when they needed a play he went back there and usually the result was a TD...Even though we have other good candidates if he runs a few punt returns back at some point, you can please believe he will be back deep with Felix quite a few times for his chance to make something happen, his old kick returns are some of his best highlights because of his incredible vision.

On the note of Adam Jones, I've been hearing how deceptively strong he has been, and when he jams you at the line its over...I love that about his game, he is physical, gives a great jam and has the speed to stay with you once you get off the line...That enables him to line up across bigger WR's and handle his own, he's still a long way to go but I think his potential has been showing, he just seems like he is hungry and really trying to work hard in practice...I really feel like at seasons end people will be talking about what a steal he was(to the effect of Moss for a 4th)...He's hungry, passionate, wants to be the best, wants to prove to everybody he can still play, he has alot of qualities you want in a CB, and it sounds like he is in better shape then I at least expected.

Also a little tidbit I read about Roy regarding where he will be lining up:

Quote:
11:16 -- Answering questions: I don't see any difference in where Roy Williams is lining up in the base defense, but I'll check on that one. He's no longer a nickel LB, having been replaced by Anthony Henry in that package. That was the closest he'd be to the line of scrimmage last season, but it's not like he made a lot of plays as a blitzer. ...

Good to know he's not a nickel LB, I expected him to stay in base situations anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:19 PM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey guys! I've been pretty busy lately (well, in a good way, since i'm chillin on the beach every day :P ) so I don't have a lot of time to read something about the camp, but just random articles from the DMN.
Any news? Who has been the best so far? How are playing the rookies? When is the first preseason game scheduled?

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:53 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano View Post
Hey guys! I've been pretty busy lately (well, in a good way, since i'm chillin on the beach every day :P ) so I don't have a lot of time to read something about the camp, but just random articles from the DMN.
Any news? Who has been the best so far? How are playing the rookies? When is the first preseason game scheduled?
Skim through the past 2 or 3 pages and you will find all that info as alot of it was posted or talked about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:54 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano View Post
What's up Mo!

Looks like this is a legitimate SB run year.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:54 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've seen Pacman play live several times. You need this guy on Kick returns.

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:04 PM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
What's up Mo!

Looks like this is a legitimate SB run year.
Hey D! I'm great. The summer is amazing here..always beach and parties. I met a lot of american people recently, but they were Giants and Lions fans :P
How are you?

Btw, yeah I hope this is our year. We have a lot of talent, and this team is ready to win.
I'll take a look at the last few pages of this thread to see what's happening in camp.

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:11 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
Jenkins has spent his last 8 years playing man to man....I highly doubt moving him further off the line of scrimmage is a good idea.

Jenkins ran a sub 4.4 this is the main reason why Antrel is being forced to move...if you got elite speed and experience at the LOS...you play corner.

Yesterday I think Jenkins was in a interview and talked about how hard it was for him adept to playing off the LOS something he had never been asked to do...and how he was uncomfortable playing like that.

So just to touch on what you said burns...I don't think Jenkins could step in and start full time from day one...because of his inability to play off coverage without thinking...in the NFL you have to play instinctive...especially at the premier positions...where if you screw up....noone is there to cover your behind. If your having trouble with your releases in a cover 4....this is going to lead to the same problems we had last year...
Not sure what you're referring to Thule? Someone else? Not sure I said anything about Jenkins
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:19 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Spears getting in another day at NT and NT only.

I agree when you guys say he can't be expected to just know how to play so he will get some work in there... But come on, don't tell me this is just for emergency situations.

Sure, It may not happen depending on how things play out and how Spears and Rat adjust to position changes, but Wade is giving the switch every opportunity to work.

My best guess would be that if Spears showed he could be a competent full time rotational guy at NT, then he would see the majority of his time there and Rat would see the majority of his time at DE.

Here's what Granthem had to say about both of them so far...

Per DMN
ON SPEARS AT NT

"He's doing well. The thing that happens is that, when you move in there, things happen faster. The closer you get to the ball, the faster the action is. But he has excellent size and strength, and he's a smart, conscientious guy. If we get to working at it, I think he'll be pretty successful in there."

ON RATLIFF AT DE

"When you watch him, he's one of our faster defensive linemen, if not the fastest. He's very slippery. When he gets an offensive lineman in space, he can kind of get through the cracks and rush the passer. By him playing outside some, it allows him to utilize that pass-rush ability."
Old 08-01-2008, 02:22 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
Not sure what you're referring to Thule? Someone else? Not sure I said anything about Jenkins
Sorry I meant LL

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 08-01-2008, 07:52 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Interesting note from scout...they mentioned offensive lineman Joe Berger, linebacker Kevin Burnett and cornerback Mike Jenkins are comers.

First time I've really seen praise about Joe Berger...he is the interior OL I forgot on my 53 man roster...so my 53 is now set until preseason is underway.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 08-01-2008, 07:58 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Vic touches on the DL situation....I'm going with his view anyways.

Quote:
5. Relying on rotation
The defensive coaches believe one of the greatest strengths of their unit this season will be the ability to frequently rotate linemen in order to ensure that they'll have the freshest bodies on the field late in games. They expect that to be particularly important early in the season, when the weather is generally at its warmest wherever the team plays.

"It definitely makes a difference," end Chris Canty said. "Offensive linemen, for the most part, don't rotate. So when you can come at them in waves, it definitely bodes well for your fourth-quarter pass rush that you can just wear an offensive line out."

Have a question for Vic on anything NFL related? Don't just sit there -- send it to AskVic@nfl.com, and the best questions will be answered throughout the season right here on NFL.com!

http://www.nfl.com/trainingcam...mp;confirm=true

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 08-01-2008, 08:00 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MB3 puts Smith to sleep

here little birdy
http://www.dallasnews.com/vide...tml?nvid=269020

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 08-01-2008, 08:15 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Vic touches on the DL situation....I'm going with his view anyways.
It's so lovely when you have a brilliant coaching staff. What they're doing now is very exciting. I love Wade Phillips... dare I say it? More than I love Bill Parcells?
Old 08-01-2008, 08:44 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Interesting note from scout...they mentioned offensive lineman Joe Berger, linebacker Kevin Burnett and cornerback Mike Jenkins are comers.

First time I've really seen praise about Joe Berger...he is the interior OL I forgot on my 53 man roster...so my 53 is now set until preseason is underway.
I left him off on purpose...because, Marten moved inside. I think we'll keep 9 this year but, he can certainly still win a job.

Marten can play T/G
Mcquistan can play T/G
Free can play T/G
Procter can play G/C

Berger isnt really needed unless he blows you away. At the moment, he is doing just that but, if he doesnt carry that into the preseason, he may not even make it. Wade seems very impressed thus far, though.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 08-01-2008 at 08:52 PM.
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:08 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

One note that caught my eye was...Martens lack of development/improvement...which lead to Free getting some time inside...I hate that idea...but looks like it had to be done. I haven't heard one good thing about Marten since we drafted him...I'm a bit scared...hopefully he shows something in game situations.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 08-01-2008, 11:04 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Interesting that Scout names Jenkins as someone deserving praise. DMN seems to only be writing about him getting burned, twisted, or grabbing onto someone.

BTB doesn't say much about him.

I get 3 different perspective from 3 different sources. Good, average, Poor?
Old 08-01-2008, 11:28 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
One note that caught my eye was...Martens lack of development/improvement...which lead to Free getting some time inside...I hate that idea...but looks like it had to be done. I haven't heard one good thing about Marten since we drafted him...I'm a bit scared...hopefully he shows something in game situations.
Doug Free's future is at Guard???

I've heard that before some place...
Old 08-02-2008, 12:21 AM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

We will definitely need to be thinking Tackle in next years draft.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:13 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
We will definitely need to be thinking Tackle in next years draft.
I wouldnt say definitely...Free/Mcquistan are progressing nicely on the outside and Colombo could always be brought back. I'd love to add a guard...I wanted to add one this year. I agree w/ Thule...I'm a little worried about Marten. He was bad last year and he hasnt seemed to progress at all yet. Free and Mcquistan are light years ahead of him and Berger outshines him every practice.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 08-02-2008 at 01:18 AM.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:20 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

I've been hearing the last few practices have had us lining up w/ Sammy on the outside and Crayton in the slot. Hopefully, a sign of things to come.

I cant wait for next week, it's going to be great. Hard Knocks on the 6th and Cowboys/Chargers on the 9th. Yesssssssssss.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-02-2008, 11:53 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Ratliff is probably happy, he's back at NT today.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS