Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 11-14-2008, 10:53 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, I've been saying for some time that if everyone would remember back to last year, when the offense was clicking, we would come out early and throw. We would tire the defense from rushing and then run the football in the second half. Later in the year, it appeared we got away from that.

It has been some written rule in football that you have to run to set up the pass. I disagree. Remember that the 90s Cowboys would pass early and get a lead; they would then pound with the running game late.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:28 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Actually, last year when our offense was "clicking" we would go the entire first quarter without doing a damn thing more often than not, begin the second quarter the same way, and pick it up right before halftime. Then, of course, we would go crazy in the second half.

Don't be mistaken, we struggled a lot at times last year, too. We lost the NE game because of it. But once we got locked in, we were as good as there has ever been in this league, including the Pats. I think the Redskins have a serious ass whipping comin this weekend.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:40 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Redskins are not going to be an easy win. Zorn is a helluva coach and they're a team that's better than the sum of their parts. In Washington makes it all the more difficult as we haven't had great success there in a while.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:53 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We also haven't ran the ball well vs them in how long? I know we are going to have more then 8 attempts, but we have GOT to figure out how to run the ball vs them this time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:16 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is a very pivotal game for us. We need to treat it like a playoff game because if we lose, the chances of us winning the wildcard birth will be zilch if we're in 3rd place in our own division. Washington would be in the driver's seat with a win.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:23 PM    (permalink
Crimson79
Rookie

Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
So, it still seems like to me that it's just that one play that determined your entire opinion of him as a hitter. I would just say, try to give him a closer look before coming to the conclusion that he's not a good hitter. He showed great hitting in college so much so that some thought he could be a safety in the NFL.
Good lord man I already said I think he is going to be a good player. I never said he was a bad hitter or that he was a giant va jay jay. Its just when someone says hard hitter Mike Jenkins isn't a name that rushes to my mind. I haven't been able to watch every Dallas game this year, but the games I have watched I didn't see anything that made me say damn that guy hits like a ton of bricks. Trust me if Jenkins goes out and starts lighting dudes up I will be the first one here admitting that I was wrong. Hell I hope I end up being wrong.
Crimson79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:44 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson79 View Post
Good lord man I already said I think he is going to be a good player. I never said he was a bad hitter or that he was a giant va jay jay. Its just when someone says hard hitter Mike Jenkins isn't a name that rushes to my mind. I haven't been able to watch every Dallas game this year, but the games I have watched I didn't see anything that made me say damn that guy hits like a ton of bricks. Trust me if Jenkins goes out and starts lighting dudes up I will be the first one here admitting that I was wrong. Hell I hope I end up being wrong.
You get +rep for saying "va jay jay". That had me rollin'. :D
Old 11-14-2008, 05:47 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
You get +rep for saying "va jay jay". That had me rollin'. :D
LMAO I was thinking the exact same thing when I read it, I haven't even heard that in a minute lol.

Quote:
Old 11-14-2008, 06:07 PM    (permalink
Crimson79
Rookie

Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

haha good times
Crimson79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:06 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think all this talk about Portis not playing is smoke and mirrors on Zorn's part. I don't think he'll be 100%, but I think he'll play.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:17 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
I think all this talk about Portis not playing is smoke and mirrors on Zorn's part. I don't think he'll be 100%, but I think he'll play.
Really? I think Zorn acting like he may play is a bluff. His injury usually requires 3-4 weeks and he starter the week not being able to straighten his leg.

Why risk further injury to your playoff ticket when he may not even be effective?
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:44 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i took 6 weeks to recover from an MCL. knee brace the whole time, couldn't bend it past 30 degrees until at least a month later. even after 6 weeks it was stiff as hell and would swell up even after light running, it was more like 8 to 9 weeks before i was 100%. but im not a professional football player so who knows.

but the thing with ligaments is, it just takes time. no matter how much of a physical specimen you are, it just takes time. you can't rush ligaments.

Im surprised at how confident everyone is honestly. I will not be shocked to see the Cowboys win, but I don't think its a walk in the park by any means. And I honestly don't think Romo will be the cure all to the Cowboys problems. There were alarming issues before Romo got hurt. Its just that the offensive skill position talent is so good that they were able to win despite those issues.

You can only lose 2 more games. Thats it. Dallas's playoffs start now essentially.

I don't think Jerry helped this team much by opening his mouth about the playoffs either. Thats bulletin board material, and trust me, the Redskins read and heard it. Its that mentality thats the real issue with the Cowboys. They gotta fix that before anything else.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:44 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does anyone else believe that Miles Austin needs to see more action? I'd like to see a set with Miles and Roy on the outside with TO and Witten playing the slot. Miles and Roy can stretch the field while TO and Witten work the middle of the field. We can keep a back in the backfield for extra protection. Now that Romo is back, we can start to attack down the field.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:13 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
Does anyone else believe that Miles Austin needs to see more action? I'd like to see a set with Miles and Roy on the outside with TO and Witten playing the slot. Miles and Roy can stretch the field while TO and Witten work the middle of the field. We can keep a back in the backfield for extra protection. Now that Romo is back, we can start to attack down the field.
Why would we use T.O. in the middle of the field? That would make too much sense. Continue sending him deep every play.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:52 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I don't think Jerry helped this team much by opening his mouth about the playoffs either. Thats bulletin board material, and trust me, the Redskins read and heard it. Its that mentality thats the real issue with the Cowboys. They gotta fix that before anything else.
Anything that anyone says from the Cowboys organization is huge news, sorry but thats BS to me considering that bulletin board material.

The reporter asked a simple question, "Do you see the Dallas Cowboys in the playoffs at the end of the season"? Jerry: "Yes, yes I do".

What would you expect him to say, that he highly doubts it? Then that's even bigger news because he doesn't have faith in his own team, stuff like this always gets blown out of proportion...If another team finds motivation from an owner thinking his team will make the playoffs they need help, if they asked Bill Polian the exact same question how do you think he would answer?

But that's not news, Jerry is more interesting and so are the Cowboys, because they can always blow their stories out of hand...I can't believe anyone would find anything wrong with those comments, we are sitting in a good spot to make the playoffs, why on earth would he say anything otherwise?

Quote:
Old 11-15-2008, 07:30 PM    (permalink
Pokeys
Veteran

Pokeys hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Pokeys hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Looks like Roy Williams is now the #2 WR. Good news in my opinion Link

Texas Longhorns: CB Marcus Davis, QB Garrett Gilbert, OT Mason Walters, RB Chris Whaley! The next great batch.
Pokeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:51 AM    (permalink
Cliche Guevara

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Anything that anyone says from the Cowboys organization is huge news, sorry but thats BS to me considering that bulletin board material.

The reporter asked a simple question, "Do you see the Dallas Cowboys in the playoffs at the end of the season"? Jerry: "Yes, yes I do".

What would you expect him to say, that he highly doubts it? Then that's even bigger news because he doesn't have faith in his own team, stuff like this always gets blown out of proportion...If another team finds motivation from an owner thinking his team will make the playoffs they need help, if they asked Bill Polian the exact same question how do you think he would answer?

But that's not news, Jerry is more interesting and so are the Cowboys, because they can always blow their stories out of hand...I can't believe anyone would find anything wrong with those comments, we are sitting in a good spot to make the playoffs, why on earth would he say anything otherwise?

i cant agree with you more
Old 11-17-2008, 01:47 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What do you guys think about this?

It was pretty clear last night that Austin may very well be our most explosive WR. It also appears he may be taking some snaps away from Crayton. I like Crayton and all, but if Austin can do what he does and is much more explosive, isn't Crayton too expensive for a #4?

What could we get for Crayton if the staff decides that they want to go with TO, RW, Austin, Stain & Hurd next year?

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 11-17-2008, 01:54 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Austin is a RFA next year, it's feasable we could bring him back for a pretty cheap rate, right now he just looks too promising to let go and end up as a starter on another team and flourish on a young team.

I think he has potential to play opposite Roy at some point, Crayton is just another run of the mill WR, I don't like to "hate" on the guy, because he comes up with some big catches for us, but for what he does we can find that with anyone, he won't be too expensive to keep but I don't think we will be interested in keeping him longterm unless its dirt cheap...Austin just provides another threat in the slot Crayton doesn't and even returning punts there is nothing special there, his trade value is non-existant though, you can find guys who do what Crayton does very easily.

Can't say for sure with the other guys but I know we aren't really depending on any of those guys, somebody already mentioned it but at least 2 of our WR's will probably end up in Miami and Austin would likely start instantly for them...They already picked up Lowber last week, I'm sure they would love Hurd, Stanback, Crayton or Austin if they could get their hands on one.

Quote:
Old 11-17-2008, 02:24 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Wonder if Miami would give us a 5th for Crayton?

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 11-17-2008, 02:25 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

As long as they keep the "team first" mentality, I would hope we keep both of those WRs for the long haul. Sometimes I get a sense that Crayton can get a little overzealous, but he doesn't seem to be a big headcase and he more often does a good job rather than bad job on the field.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:27 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is Crayton going to continue to return punts?
Old 11-17-2008, 02:37 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

I suspect that Pac would take that over if he's reinstated.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 11-17-2008, 03:28 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

I hope we keep playing man like we did against the skins. Our D looked way better manned up on everyone. We didn't give up the easy short passes.

You'd think Wade would have figured this out by now, and you would think that he would continue to use this style now that we tried it, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Wade wants to go back to his useless zone that gives up 3rd downs over and over again.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:35 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
I hope we keep playing man like we did against the skins. Our D looked way better manned up on everyone. We didn't give up the easy short passes.

You'd think Wade would have figured this out by now, and you would think that he would continue to use this style now that we tried it, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Wade wants to go back to his useless zone that gives up 3rd downs over and over again.

I think we will see more of this. I think they didn't earlier because there were just scared the young guys would get beat. With Newman healthy, I think he has much more confidence in their ability to cover.

-Douglas MacArthur